If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

A Wild Pokémon thread appeared!

Comments

• edited 2012-03-13 17:46:05
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I wouldn't talk, Cloyster. :P

But why was he using a Raticate? Why would anyone ever use a Raticate? Is there something about it I'm just not aware of?

Good match, though.
  • No rainbow star
    ...I am not counting Togepi as an alien as that's from the Anime which I wouldn't count as canon when talking about the games

And huh. Kyurem's an alien?
  • If that don't work, use more gun.

Hmm.  I think that's an urban legend that they came up with in the games.

I just had one of the most amazing battles ever.  Spinda for the Uber tier.

• Well, that was something. Pretty close call by the end though.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Wait, did they change the mechanics of Assist? How were you using V-Create every time?

• Has friends besides tanks now

I thought Contrary was illegal. Must have misread something somewhere. In any case, that was spectacular.

• edited 2012-03-13 20:33:23
    If that don't work, use more gun.

I had a Victini that ONLY knew V-Create.  Assist can't call up Protect or Copycat.

Incidentally, I learned that Spinda can learn Superpower from the Dream World.  May god have mercy on us all.

I thought Contrary was illegal. Must have misread something somewhere. In any case, that was spectacular.

I dunno where you read that.  It's not.  On Spinda at least.

• edited 2012-03-13 20:35:05

(late to the response) It's like the infamous Meteor Wing exploit in Final Fantasy VIII. Just give the rest of the Pokemon moves that Assist can't copy.

Anyways, I found Contrary to be overrated on Serperior. Sure, it can get a Nasty Plot boost from Leaf Storm, but that's all Serperior can do besides maybe Leech Seed because its movepool is so shallow.

• No rainbow star
    Why are dragon tail and focus punch unassistable?

@Icalasari: Because they have negative priority, and Assist doesn't, I would guess.

• edited 2012-03-13 20:50:38

Imagine if a fast Pokemon repeatedly uses Dragon Tail at 0 priority.

^Roar and Whirlwind are still acceptable. 

• edited 2012-03-13 20:50:35
    If that don't work, use more gun.

Assist gives the move it's using 0 priority.  Dragon Tail has -6 priority and Focus Punch has -3.  They would be broken if a fast Pokemon used those moves while using assist.  And Dragon Tail acts like Whirlwind, only it also does damage too.  Which Game Freak thought was too strong.

• a little muffled

And here I thought that kind of Contrary abuse was limited to Hackmons.

• No rainbow star
    Oh, and why is Chatter always uncopyable?
  • Programming issues, most likely.

^Roar and Whirlwind are still acceptable.

They don't do damage though.  Dragon Tail does, so imagine a Prankster Pokemon with assist that constantly spams Dragon Tail.  The opponent would rarely get a chance to attack, while their team is slowly but surely being whittled down by it.  And that's not factoring in Spikes and Stealth Rock damage.

Oh, and why is Chatter always uncopyable?

Chatter is a complete and utter programming nightmare for Game Freak.  It's the only unsketchable move, cause apparently Smeargle having it caused a ton of glitches and programming problems.

• a little muffled

Dragon Tail isn't 100% accurate at least.

Guh. Lost five matches in a row testing the team from yesterday. It's enough to make me consider running a generic sand team just so I might win a few.

Can anyone recommend good teammates for Jellicent? I'm finding that it can be very useful with care (which I haven't really demonstrated yet; keep falling for Scarfed Trick Rotom-W).

• edited 2012-03-13 21:32:38
    No rainbow star
    ^^^ ...Now I need to get myself a Chatter Smeargle
  • a little muffled

@Everest: Jellicent + Ferrothorn is a popular combination or so I hear.

• edited 2012-03-13 21:41:32
    Has friends besides tanks now

With good reason; one lures attacks that are resisted by the other, and both are defensive utility pokemon (usually).

I think I'll go to the dark side and try a Rain team. Considering Politoed (well, no shit), Jolteon, Jellicent, Ferrothorn, Dragonite, and . . . Volcarona. Hopefully that's not too generic (hard not to be with weather teams, amirite). Might replace Volcarona with Vaporeon or something, if the Drizzle Volcarona set doesn't work out.

• a little muffled

With good reason; one lures attacks that are resisted by the other, and both are defensive utility pokemon (usually).

And Jellicent blocks Rapid Spin for Ferroseed's hazards.

That too.

• a little muffled

I don't know why I wrote Ferroseed.

• edited 2012-03-13 22:00:22
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Charizard-

Salac Berry, Adamant nature

Moveset
    ~ Belly Drum
    ~ Fire Punch
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Substitute

EVs
    252 Attack / 4 Defence / 252 Speed

Blastoise 

Leftovers, Bold Nature 

~ Protect
    ~ Counter
    ~ Mirror Coat
    ~ Toxic

EV's: 212 HP, 252 Def, 44 Speed

Ferligatr

Adamant Nature, Life Orb

Moves:
    ~ Waterfall
    ~ Swords Dance
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Ice Punch 

EV's: 252 atk/252 spe/4 hp

Sceptile

Life Orb, Adamant Nature
    ~Leaf Blade
    ~Swords Dance
    ~X-Scissor
    ~Crunch

EVs: 6 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd.

Infernape:

Expert Belt. with a Jolly nature

~Swords Dance
    ~Flare Blitz
    ~Close Combat
    ~Stone Edge
    EV's: 252 Attack - 252 Speed - 6 HP

Serperior:

Leftovers, with a Modest Nature.

~Calm Mind
    ~Giga Drain
    ~Wring Out
    ~Toxic

EVS: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Defense, 4 HP

Volcarona is indeed good on rain teams.  And if your opponent happens to use a sun team, all the better.

The thing about weather is, it's really type restrictive.  Like there's gonna be tons of shared weaknesses.  Weather isn't just something you can slap onto a team.  Unfortunately, the thing is, most teams are super reliant on their weather.  Once the weather is neutralized, their team falls apart.  Doesn't really happen with sand teams, which is why I use them.  Also, tons of type flexibility is allowed in sand teams.

• edited 2012-03-13 22:24:08
    a little muffled

Sand has the advantage that if you're playing an offensive team it's likely to be more helpful than hurtful to you even if you don't build your team around it, and Tyranitar is unique among the autoweather guys in that he'd still be really good without it.

• But you never had any to begin with.

I wouldn't talk, Cloyster. :P

White Herb Shell Smash Cloyster is the best thing ever. :|

It's pretty good, yeah. Don't know why I didn't think to put a White Herb on it.