If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Free has outsold Symphogear with less CDs out (by about 32,000), plus 25k first BD without event ticket or any special extras outside of the booklet :|

Speaking of BDs, I feel weird about extras. I'd prefer photo-prints and booklets to CDs. I like mini-plushies though.

• edited 2013-09-18 02:20:09
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I promise I'll respond to your criticisms of Lagrange when I get these assignments for the week done -_-

• edited 2013-09-22 23:54:32

He's not a minor character.

He's not a major character either.  And just because someone is important to the plot doesn't mean 'ey have to show up very much.  Case in point: Kanade Amou.

A mecha wanted by a Kingdom and Criminals who proceed to... sit around for three entire months before doing anything.

Having other things to attend to or having reasons unknown to the audience is...ubiquitous in real life.

Examples, please.

Examples of characterization of Madoka and Lan before episode 11?
    Really?
    Fine.

In the intro of the first episode, Madoka displays both (1) that she's the kind of person who's always ready to respond to a situation, and (2) is more than willing to go out of her way to help someone.  Right after the OP, she displays that she's a person who's high on life, generally speaking.  In the classroom, it's displayed that she is a well-respected person in the school with a strong social context.  She's also the type to keep herself very busy.  Her doing both tennis and martial arts confirms that.  She also has hardass teacher and cousin, who shape the way she lives her life.  Finally, she has some weird mark on her body that presages some sort of strange secret, which her cousin really doesn't want her to become involved with.  Anyhow, despite being thrust into a strange situation, she has a really can-do attitude, and is the intuitive "let's just try something" type -- not the type to really think through things, considering how she fights that mech.

Lan is a person who is bad with words and a bit socially awkward.

Madoka is a bit of a showoff.  Lan starts to warm up to Madoka.  Madoka shows she REALLY isn't a thinker.  Lan, on the other hand, takes things much more seriously.  Pointing out her failings can make Madoka do stuff.  On the other hand, Lan thinking about her own failings makes Lan lose confidence.  Lan starts to show character development by now, acting on her own initiative to change a situation.  Madoka gives Lan a greater sense of self-confidence...and incidentally it seems that these mechs are powered by self-confidence.

But still, Lan doesn't have that much self-confidence.  She's just now run into two people who are better than her -- Madoka at piloting (from intuition, even), and Muginami at just generally doing stuff (such as saving her life and being less socially awkward).  Lan's reaction to Muginami also tells something about her -- she's much more reserved and distrustful than Madoka, for starters.

At the start of ep 5, we're treated to a scene that shows that Lan is heavily involved in the backstory.  Part of that backstory is war.  There is an implied conflict between Lan and this war.  And again, Lan takes things very seriously.  As she doesn't trust Muginami, she treats her as a suspicious person at best, enemy spy at worst.  Lan is also oblivious about some things, such as...how to handle a baseball bat, for starters -- not just oblivious either, but obliviously oblivious.  That said, I fully shared Lan's concern about Muginami, up until the point of the relationship between Villagiulio and Muginami being blown wide open with drama.

Madoka demonstrates her being a budding commander-leader, not unlike her cousin and teacher.  (Heck, if you want strong female characters, this series is chock full of them.)  Anyhow, Lan knows a lot, including this legend of destruction, and she's got a lot on her mind -- a stark contrast to the carefree attitude of both Muginami and Madoka.  Though the interesting thing is that Muginami's attitude is the result of cynicism rolling over on itself, while Madoka's attitude is the result of actually being high on life.

And to top that all off, there's the very intriguing scene at the end of the episode.  Muginami is cynical as all hell but somehow gets away with it, but that's about to change.  Madoka reacts by stating the intuitively obvious, from outrage at Muginami's taking advantage of the luxuries she enjoys to attempting to punch Villagiulio.  Lan still doesn't get Muginami because it completely goes against what she expected of her, is rather shocked at Villagiulio's actions, and really doesn't know what to make of all this yet.  Honestly, given what I know up to this point, I'd feel the same way as Lan does.

And I'm only up to episode 5.  In the next episode there's the energy drink scene, where Lan really shows that she's a person who's kinda lived a sheltered life and is undergoing the internal conflict of wanting to be more like Madoka but also feeling very cautious.

This is very rich characterization.

Vox Aura turns out to be almost perfectly suited to Madoka, come to think of it, with her highly intuitive style.  As she herself points out, the robot stopped doing cool shit when she actually started thinking about it.  Come to think of it, Madoka should do commercials for Nike, what with their motto of "just do it".

When? When she shots at Villagiullio while unsure of whether he's going to come and destroy the planet? When she activates the Rinne which causes all sorts of disaster and only stops because she was unable to continue because Yurikano stopped her?

What about when she tried to pick out empty lots to crash-land in, or swiftly grabbed a lamp-post to bat away a vending machine flying toward civilians?

I can't even credit her for getting Lan and Muginami to get along, because the entire relationship feels forced.

Well, she does kinda force them together, though it wouldn't really be possible if Villagiulio also didn't disown Muginami.

Like when?

It's rare, and she doesn't do it much.  But there's that scene you just described where she hung out with Asteria.  Though, as I said above, Madoka is really a very intuition-based person.  She just goes and does what feels right to her at the moment, usually.

----

In other news I just finished watching Symphogear season 1.

• edited 2013-09-23 00:15:59

He's not a major character either.  And just because someone is important to the plot doesn't mean 'ey have to show up very much.  Case in point: Kanade Amou.

He's still not very well-developed, even into season 2, considering he's the final boss fight because... I dunno, he's insane and doesn't care that everybody else was willing to play nice?

Having other things to attend to or having reasons unknown to the audience is...ubiquitous in real life.

But this isn't real life. It's rather unsatisfying when we don't know why characters or groups act the way they did when it has an effect on plot progression. (I actually hadn't thought about this, but I guess it was odd that there wasn't much going on)

Anyway, what did you think of Symphogear's finale? Especially things like Fine's backstory.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I'm still not sure what to make of it yet.

Also, I'm not sure if her name is an intentional musical pun.  Or just something else from ancient Babylonian mythology.

But this isn't real life. It's rather unsatisfying when we don't know why characters or groups act the way they did when it has an effect on plot progression.

From the perspective of a story planner, I agree.  But from the perspective of immersion and getting into the characters' minds, I disagree.

• edited 2013-09-23 02:15:29

Symphogear's backstory and stuff gets even more insane with season 2 and the website "keywords". (ninjas that can run on water totally exist, for one thing) This place has some translations, but a lot of the ones posted after July '13 might have season 2 spoilers.

Uh, how do you get into the characters' minds if you don't know why they do things?

Well, like I said earlier, I feel the same way about some things as Madoka or Lan do, about the things that happen to them, so that gives me a way to relate to them and sympathize/empathize with them.

• edited 2014-11-18 00:47:18
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Vox Aura turns out to be almost perfectly suited to Madoka, come to think of it, with her highly intuitive style.  As she herself points out, the robot stopped doing cool shit when she actually started thinking about it.

The robot stopped moving because she stopped believing in their bond. Also the Vox has absolutely no characterization ever.

In real-life politics, no matter how much they try to hide their reasons from you, you can at least glean some. For them there are no reasons and it's just dumb and ruins any immersion I'd get from the world. It's just "Were not doing anything and we won't tell you why!" which can't make me understand because there is nothing to understand.

Madoka displays both (1) that she's the kind of person who's always ready to respond to a situation, and (2) is more than willing to go out of her way to help someone.

This sure makes her a unique protagonist that I should instantly care about <_<

Anyhow, despite being thrust into a strange situation, she has a really can-do attitude, and is the intuitive "let's just try something" type -- not the type to really think through things, considering how she fights that mech.

To me, this is just "We could've actually explained why Madoka reacted like this, but we'll never. This is also an excuse to not bother with having episodes where Madoka actually deals with being in charge of a mecha that can apparently destroy the world."

we're treated to a scene that shows that Lan is heavily involved in the backstory.  Part of that backstory is war.  There is an implied conflict between Lan and this war.  And again, Lan takes things very seriously.

A war that never actually comes up ever, to be completely honest. We know why they're fighting, but so what? It's not like Lan cares about the war ever. Lan doesn't take stuff seriously, she just doesn't talk. She never develops beyond this point of not talking. She never stands up to her brother and, as I mentioned, cares about the war. She just wants to have fun with Madoka forever without ever taking responsibility of how they can keep their fun going because the writers just can't think that far.

What about when she tried to pick out empty lots to crash-land in, or swiftly grabbed a lamp-post to bat away a vending machine flying toward civilians?

This only ever happens in episode 2. Does she take the girls around Kamogawa and talk about why she cares about it? No. Does she ever visit places in Kamogawa by herself? Does she have special places in Kamogawa which she finds personally special? No. Is anywhere in Kamogawa associated with her mother (Who is like the most dumb plot point out of the Jersey-bu plot)? No. Does she ever defend Kamogawa the way she did that day? No, she goes on to completely forget anywhere in Kamogawa exists.  We never even meet these people she defended that day. It was like "We need to show her being useful, but just this one time." Which is bad story planning.

Madoka is really a very intuition-based person.

Which is exactly why they should have had an arc where she assumed more responsibility than "Well it felt right and according to the writers I did the right thing so it's okay."

And just because someone is important to the plot doesn't mean 'ey have to show up very much.  Case in point: Kanade Amou.

Kanade was part of Tsubasa's plot, she didn't need to have her own arc because she doesn't randomly show up and try to murder the Rinne with no reasoning!

Also I can't accept ^ as an answer to:

Uh, how do you get into the characters' minds if you don't know why they do things?

• edited 2013-09-23 08:58:28

Also the Vox has absolutely no characterization ever.

I wouldn't call it characterization; I'd call it "this is how the thing works".  It runs, rather clearly, on pilot's emotion.

In real-life politics, no matter how much they try to hide their reasons from you, you can at least glean some. For them there are no reasons and it's just dumb and ruins any immersion I'd get from the world.

Only if you know someone well enough to guess. :P

And I'm starting to think, maybe your reaction to this differs from mine because I don't think the war is the story itself.  For me, the war is just part of the backstory, albeit an important one.  "The events that unfolded before her" (for "her" being Madoka, and to some extent Lan) is the story.

This sure makes her a unique protagonist that I should instantly care about <_<

No, that just makes her a character, with a personality.  And that's what I meant with that.

To me, this is just "We could've actually explained why Madoka reacted like this, but we'll never.

Why explain it when you can just show it?  "Show, don't tell."

This is also an excuse to not bother with having episodes where Madoka actually deals with being in charge of a mecha that can apparently destroy the world."

Maybe we never quite got to that point?  I mean, we only had 13 little episodes by which to reveal this story.  Also this makes me wonder if you kinda expected that from the story but just didn't get it.  Apparently I wasn't, I guess, expecting her to angst over stuff like this.

A war that never actually comes up ever, to be completely honest.

If it never came up, then why did it come up so often in the series?  Why could I clearly tell there was one going on?  Why is the contrast between past!Villagiulio and present!Villagiulio so significant?

Lan doesn't take stuff seriously, she just doesn't talk.

You call not trusting random possibly suspicious new associate -- and treating her as an enemy spy and outright confronting her about that -- not taking stuff seriously?

She never develops beyond this point of not talking.

At the very least she opens up to Madoka.

She never stands up to her brother and, as I mentioned, cares about the war.

If you were stuck in an alien society and had to live there for the time being, I'm sure you'd spend a lot of time thinking about said alien society as well.

This only ever happens in episode 2.

Again, only 13 episodes.  And I remember that her integration into the Kamogawa community is also shown again later when she does random shit for strangers again in the episode where one of the alien guys makes a half-hearted attempt to assassinate her.

Anyway, the point is that she's already very clearly shown and implied to be a local person who's very much part of the community.

Which is exactly why they should have had an arc where she assumed more responsibility than "Well it felt right and according to the writers I did the right thing so it's okay."

This sounds like you had a certain expectation of the story and it was not fulfilled, actually.

Also I can't accept [sympathizing/empathizing] as an answer to [how to get into a character's mind]

Well, if I know how they feel about something, and I can feel that myself, then I can imagine myself in their shoes and think about how I would deal with the situation they're facing.

I mean, how else would you connect to a character?

• edited 2013-09-23 11:19:46

Y'know I'm really enjoying the book ends of Symphogear.  There's several of them:

Spoiler:
    The graveyard scene, the little girl, the reapparance of the Aufwachen form version of Synchrogazer, (heck, the name "Synchrogazer" itself, in a way), the Noise attacking someone scene,...and I think there's a few more but I'm not at my computer right now so I can't check.  I'm also kinda regretting ODing on Synchrogazer before watching this, because it's probably made the full force of the DOUBLE SYNCHROGAZER (once in each of the last two episodes) have less impact than it could have.  But it was still pretty awesome.

In that final battle, I'm not sure whether to be more annoyed that the sword wasn't as ridiculous as the other two weapons, or that ridiculously wide numerous array of missiles.

Apart from that, though, I'm still trying to decide whether there's anything I really disliked about the show other than the fanservice (too much) and the pacing (too fast, though it could also be a setting problem, arguably, in that there were just too many details and complexity, and maybe overuse of one certain key plot point).

I actually rather enjoyed this series, in retrospect.

Though I'm still undecided as to whether the story would be better served if the last bit of the last episode were left off (you know what I mean).  I admittedly had it spoiled for me (thanks to being a late arrival) so I really can't say how I would have felt if I had experienced it without spoilers... :(

Also happy to see that I wasn't the only one who noticed a similarity between Tsubasa and Chihaya Kisaragi from iDOLM@STER: The TV Tropes page Anime/SenkiZesshouSymphogear notes that comparison under Expy (and no, I didn't add it).  Come to think of it, this is the first time I've actually gone and looked at that page.

• edited 2013-09-23 14:09:57

I'm not sure whether to be more annoyed that the sword wasn't as ridiculous as the other two weapons, or that ridiculously wide numerous array of missiles

By "the sword" you mean Durandal, right? And "the other two weapons" are Ichaival and Ame-no-Habakiri? I guess it is odd that complete Relics are somehow less insane than fragments. As for the missile thing, I think it's like how super robots can pull weapons out of nothing, although the closest example I can think of are Gurren Lagann's drills.

the pacing (too fast, though it could also be a setting problem, arguably, in that there were just too many details and complexity, and maybe overuse of one certain key plot point).

I think that might partially be due to the main writer having more ideas than the number of episodes allowed. If it is a setting issue, the second season doesn't exactly improve on that either. Actually, Symphogear is rather vague about setting and backstory. The second season doesn't really change that.

Though I'm still undecided as to whether the story would be better served if the last bit of the last episode were left off (you know what I mean).

Eh, this is one case where the hero dying would be a big loss for herself, considering Hibiki cared a lot about her everyday life. More importantly, the rest of the show didn't give that tragic of a mood, so it would feel ourt of place without the surprise at the end. And if she didn't come back, then the ending would involve what, Miku getting a Symphogear? She never really struck me as hero material. And even in the second season

Spoiler:
    when she does get a Gear, she was fighting for the villain team. And she well... still wasn't the fighting type. She just had a ridiculously suitable Relic.

so I really can't say how I would have felt if I had experienced it without spoilers... :(

Pleasantly surprised?

By the way, are you planning on seeing the second season? It's possibly even more headache-inducing, but I've gone past a point where the show's direction somehow makes sense on some level.

• edited 2013-09-23 20:14:14

By "the sword" you mean Durandal, right? And "the other two weapons" are Ichaival and Ame-no-Habakiri?

Actually, by the sword I meant Ame-no-Habakiri.  I'm talking about

Spoiler:
    that scene where everyone goes nuts with their weapons.  Tsubasa's sword stays relatively sane.  Hibiki gets her punching pistons pulled back by a mile or so, and Chris produces an array of about fifty million missiles.

If it is a setting issue, the second season doesn't exactly improve on that either.

Well, the pacing issue has two sides: getting comfortable with the characters (to feel more of an emotional connection with them and thus care more about what happens to them), and also getting to know the setting.  If the setting had less crazy shit happening that would solve the latter problem, though not the former; that said I guess you could interpret this as a setting issue too.

As for the ending...well it was foreshadowed from the beginning.  Though the show did kinda take a turn for the brighter when it showed someone actually surviving that action.  So maybe you could say it was inconsistent about what tone it wanted to set -- a darker tone at first, but then switching to a lighter tone.

And if not for the way the ending is now, I'd say it should just have ended with

Spoiler:
    the graveyard scene.

I'm not sure about the second season yet.

Kinda funny how there's the trio of shows that you and 14w got me into (not counting Precure) -- AKB0048, Lagrange, and Symphogear -- which I always think of as a group (though Lagrange and Symphogear are closer to each other), and all of them are one-cour series that have since gotten second seasons.  And I've now seen all of the first seasons and none of the second seasons yet.

Though I don't mind each and every experience I have being a really memorable experience, if that's possible.

I guess it is odd that complete Relics are somehow less insane than fragments.

The thing about complete relics is that they can only absorb phonic gain once to be activated, while fragments integrated with gear can continuously pump out new stuff because they can take in continuous phonic gain.

>AKB0048 Next Stage depicts KojiHaru as the not very successful member of AKB48

>Since Acchan, Tomochin and basically everybody else has left, she's third most popular after Yuuko and Mayuyu now

And

>Nagisa is Acchan

>Nagisa is not the member of AKB0048 with boyfriend issues

• edited 2013-09-28 13:40:53

Symphogear G's finale was... amazing. It was even more like a super robot show than it was before.

Spoiler:
    So, we had:

• SHINE SPARK

• An actual giant robot

• Hell and Heaven + Big Bang Punch (more or less).

A little disappointing Kirika's Super Scythe didn't even come close to the absurdly huge tomahawk from Getter Robo Armageddon. Even though she's green.

-sees Naas post in thread-

I WILL FREAKING KILL YOU IF YOU POST ABOUT

and you did

• I think there might have been something... lacking, compared to the first season's finale, but I'm not really sure. Will have to see when subs are out.

Come to think of it, I think that if I wasn't so analytical about Symphogear I might have enjoyed it more.  Because I'm definitely enjoying thinking back about it right now, having finished the first season.

I just had a thought about its portraying the conflict between "hero work" and daily life attending school.  I am feeling that the show dealt with it beautifully.

• edited 2014-11-18 01:04:45

MEGAPOST

Autumn 2013~!

This season's list will be done in Airing Order since I no longer use TVT for your convenience!

Diabolik Lovers: This was going to be an average bishie show except for two things. It's fifteen minutes per episode and turns out the vampires are actually offensively mean to the heroine, so of course she leaves wait no... she's in love with them. Good for your girl! :|
    Battle Spirits Saikyou Ginga Ultimate Zero: The new season of Battle Spirits, probably not a great place to start because Battle Spirits is notoriously canon-buildey when it comes to the card playing. So unless you have access to the cards you'll never understand what's happening. Otherwise, my experience with the previous series has been fun (and Engrish subtitles, but last year somebody actually started subbing it).
    Coppelion: Three girls explore a Tokyo devastated by a nuclear meltdown. Fun premise, the PVs have been promising and it's animated by GoHands (the studio behind the wonderful work K, though this is based on a manga). Even an angela theme song. Definite watch.
    Gaist Crusher: Continuing in Pierrot's wonderful tradition of Shounen things, this show about being not Megaman is an adaptation of the 3DS game of the same name. Will probably be very fun and shounen with transformations. Sadly there doesn't seem to be any girl Gaist Crusher (and this is not the 3DS adaptation I wanted. Come on Butto Burst!)
    Kyousogiga: Toei brings us Kyousogiga in full length! There's no way I'd miss this.
    Outbreak Company: A somewhat confusing premise involving a guy going to another world to become a "Moe Evangelist" ruined by a terrible animation direction that actually makes the art worse than the LNs it's based off of. I swear Maid-chan's chin can be used as a lethal weapon.
    Kyoukai no Kanata: The latest and most promising of KyoAni's shift towards self-adaptations. Appears to be an actually enjoyable work with a premise of a girl (Who is not Chitanda Eru, promise) who can control blood and the weirdness that surrounds her. As I said, promising.
    Aikatsu 2!: More fun Idol Action with Ichigo, except this time they're getting a Symphogear G-esque set of rivals.
    Nagi no Asakura: An original work from P.A.Works about two best friends. Not much is known about the premise aside from the "Romance" and "Surrealist" aspects. Would've watched it if it weren't for the romance (and the lead character being the guy instead of the girl).
    IS: Infinite Stratos 2: Second season of the mecha musume (and musuko) harem show.
    Kill la Kill: The new ShinKyo (Which incidentally is the new SAO) in terms of popularity. Even the armour doesn't seem to have put off people. Set in some school where the protagonist has to fight and be totally not Angel Beats! or something. Will be graced with the wonderful musical stylings of Aoi Eir.
    Golden Time: From the author of Toradora comes a work set in college. The protagonist attends a law school and meets a new girl. Comedy and Romance will about, or something, there will be Yui Horie!
    Strike the Blood: This fun seeming LN adaptation follows a lance wielding girl and her evil vampire deuteragonist (and the rest of his harem, if the Key Visual is to be taken literally). They work together to... do stuff, while she prevents him from destorying the world or something.
    Freezing Vibration: The second season of the show where Nova tries to destroy a version of Humanity obsessed with boobs (or something)
    Seiyuu Sentai Voiceman: Based of a series of Audio Dramas, this series follows seiyuu who protect the power of moe. I'm not even sure if this will end up airing.
    Hajime no Ippo: Third season of the boxing anime.
    Yushibu, or Yuusha ni Narenakkata Ore wa Shushibu Shuushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita. Wannabe hero turned minimum wager meets lucifer's daughter and harem at work. Comedy ensues.
    Little Busters Refrain: Second season of the J.C.Staff adaptation of Key's VN.
    Log Horizon: A bunch of people are stuck in an RPG world, please stop comparing it to SAO. Anyways, our hero (Who is a mage by the way!) follows the mysterious Akatsuki and tries to learn more about the world. In the process, he meets a bulky soldier and a fencing cat. The best show of 2013 ensues.
    Walkure Romance: A guy becomes an assistant to a female knight in a world where female knights get super clothing damage.
    Meganebu: MEGANEBU! Bishounen are in the glasses club and do glasses club things. In the immortal words of the goddess Yui, fun things will surely be fun.
    Magi Labyrinth of Magic 2: The second season of the popular shounen anime. Expect Magic, or something.
    White Album 2: The non sequel to White Album focuses on a love triangle between two girls and a guy in the light music club. Two entire college shows in one season? Ooo
    Kuroko no Basket 2: The second season of the popular fujoshi bait basketball show.
    Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle 3: The third season of the popular puzzle anime.
    Diamond no Ace: A baseball anime, which I'm betting I.G. are going to try and turn into Kuroko 2.
    Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta: In a world where humans and youkai exist stuff happens. A retelling of the older Yozakura Quartet series, but not a remake.
    Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono: The newest in the line of gdgd Fairies animation copying CG short shows. This one is about cute girls and club activities!
    Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai!: An idol decides to become a wrestler. Instead of what I initially expected, this is a fanservice show.
    Machine-doll wa Kizutsukanai: This LN adaptation focuses on a guy and his very own machine doll familliar (which he made) as they attend battle school.
    Gundam Build Fighters: Gundam in it's truest form finally comes to TV. Two kids live in a world where Gunpla battling is Starcraft, except not just in South Korea. Seems like a fun and hopeful must watch for me.
    Gingistune: A Shrine Priest's daughter is the only one who can see a Shrine's messenger. Slice of life. Seems pretty great.
    Tokyo Ravens: Somehow not Yozakura Quartet, this seems more shounen. A boy is born into a spirit family but he can't see spirit energy, until a childhood friend changes his life.
    Non Non Biyori: The first non-4koma cute girls doing cute things show since... I'm betting since Natsuiro Kiseki. Despite the Silver Link credit for studio, it might just be great.
    Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova: SAVE THE NEW WORLD SAVE THE NEW WORLD... Erm, girls are ship interfaces who can defend Earth in a world where evil ships threaten humanity. Seems like it'll be great but I'm not watching.
    Yowamushi Pedal: An otaku boy joins a racing club. I was initially going to watch it but then I realized they were actually serious about the racing bit...
    BlazBlue: Alter Memory: Adaptation of the Arc System Works video games by Fantasista Doll's Hood's Entertainment, so I'm cautious. Especially since BlazBlue's plot is probably unbearable without the fighting bits inbetween. There will be Faylan though!
    Kakumeiki Valvrave 2: Don't watch it. I beg of you.
    Noucome: A guy who sees VN-like decisions for weird events that actually happen to him gets a harem. Show ensues.
    Samurai Flamenco: Promising premise devolves into male model (with UtaPri design!) being a kind of Toku hero. Could still be promising, but the art looked much better when it was artistic. Also SPYAIR, the greatest enemy of fourteenwings' ears.
    Galilei Donna: Galileo's descendants outrun the international police. Will be super amazing.
    Koroshiya-san: The Hired Gun: A comedy about an assassin who has to... housekeep and go on natsuyasumi summer vacation.
    Pupa: A brother has to be his sister's continuuous food source when she becomes a man eating monster. Sadly, it is also "My Little Sister Eating My Flesh Cannot Be This Cute!"

So I'll be watching:

• Log Horizon

• Kyousogiga

• Gundam Build Fighters

• Galilei Donna

• Aika2

• Meganebu

And I'll be keeping my eye on:

• Strike the Blood

• Tokyo Ravens

• Non Non Biyori

• Coppelion

And Naas will be watching Yozakura Quartet and I'll try to make him watch Samurai Flamenco because it might be decent.

• edited 2013-09-30 13:43:56

Tokyo Ravens: Somehow not Yozakura Quartet, this seems more shounen. A boy is born into a spirit family but he can't see spirit energy, until a childhood friend changes his life.

That doesn't sound like Yozakura Quartet in any significant manner. (when did I become a fan of that?)

And Naas will be watching Tokyo Ravens

Are you sure you don't mean Tokyo ESP (which doesn't sound like Yozakura either)? Wait, that's not this season.

• "Kakumeiki Valvrave 2: Don't watch it. I beg of you."

• edited 2013-09-30 14:02:19

@Myrm: :P

@Naas: My mistake.

Also, apparently the remake of the original is a 3 episode OVA and Hana no Uta is a spinoff.

As for my association, I think it's how similar the Key Visuals look.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Hey, BlazBlue's plot is not unbearable, it's positively average.

I'll watch Valvrave because there is no brakes on the rape train. More stupid drama can't be catched elsewhere, at least not in the same density.

• a little muffled

Coppelion: Three girls explore a Tokyo devastated by a nuclear meltdown. Fun premise, the PVs have been promising and it's animated by GoHands (the studio behind the wonderful work K, though this is based on a manga). Even an angela theme song. Definite watch.
    Is this a sequel or something that's been delayed by, like, years? Because I am pretty sure I remember seeing this same title and description on a chart back when I actually payed attention to animu charts.

• edited 2013-09-30 15:05:08

Now to megapost because I haven't done so in a while and I'm just gonna further procrastinate eating lunch.

> Diabolik Lovers: This was going to be an average bishie show except for two things. It's fifteen minutes per episode and turns out the vampires are actually offensively mean to the heroine, so of course she leaves wait no... she's in love with them. Good for your girl! :|

whut

> Battle Spirits Saikyou Ginga Ultimate Zero: The new season of Battle Spirits, probably not a great place to start because Battle Spirits is notoriously canon-buildey when it comes to the card playing. So unless you have access to the cards you'll never understand what's happening. Otherwise, my experience with the previous series has been fun (and Engrish subtitles, but last year somebody actually started subbing it).

Another merchandising thing I guess?

> Coppelion: Three girls explore a Tokyo devastated by a nuclear meltdown. Fun premise, the PVs have been promising and it's animated by GoHands (the studio behind the wonderful work K, though this is based on a manga). Even an angela theme song. Definite watch.

I think I already have this on my to-watch list, and I've also been curious about how nuclear issues are being portrayed in Japanese creative media in the aftermath of the disaster.

> Gaist Crusher: Continuing in Pierrot's wonderful tradition of Shounen things, this show about being not Megaman is an adaptation of the 3DS game of the same name. Will probably be very fun and shounen with transformations. Sadly there doesn't seem to be any girl Gaist Crusher (and this is not the 3DS adaptation I wanted. Come on Butto Burst!)

Another not!Megaman thing?  I thought that was Mighty No. 9's whole schtick!

> Kyousogiga: Toei brings us Kyousogiga in full length! There's no way I'd miss this.

Never heard of it.

> Outbreak Company: A somewhat confusing premise involving a guy going to another world to become a "Moe Evangelist" ruined by a terrible animation direction that actually makes the art worse than the LNs it's based off of. I swear Maid-chan's chin can be used as a lethal weapon.

(no notable comment)

> Kyoukai no Kanata: The latest and most promising of KyoAni's shift towards self-adaptations. Appears to be an actually enjoyable work with a premise of a girl (Who is not Chitanda Eru, promise) who can control blood and the weirdness that surrounds her. As I said, promising.

This has an attractive name to me because Kanata but the description sounds like some other crazy thing with one or more characters with supernatural abilities.  Is this a continuation of Kara No Kyoukai or whatever that's called?  (which is another series with a distinctive name to me but whose content I don't know)

> Aikatsu 2!: More fun Idol Action with Ichigo, except this time they're getting a Symphogear G-esque set of rivals.

Still thinking about going to watch the first season.

> Nagi no Asakura: An original work from P.A.Works about two best friends. Not much is known about the premise aside from the "Romance" and "Surrealist" aspects. Would've watched it if it weren't for the romance (and the lead character being the guy instead of the girl).

(no notable comment)

> IS: Infinite Stratos 2: Second season of the mecha musume (and musuko) harem show.

I discovered the IS series from spotting an attractive-looking character once while browsing a fanart site, but from what I've read about it, I don't think I'd enjoy it.

> Kill la Kill: The new ShinKyo (Which incidentally is the new SAO) in terms of popularity. Even the armour doesn't seem to have put off people. Set in some school where the protagonist has to fight and be not-Angel Beats or something. Will be graced with the wonderful musical stylings of Aoi Eir.

I'll keep this in mind as "that series that everyone keeps on yapping about".  And yes, our anime club's immediate past president is already yapping about it.

> Golden Time: From the author of Toradora comes a work set in college. The protagonist attends a law school and meets a new girl. Comedy and Romance will about, or something, there will be Yui Horie!

Finally, a series we college and post-baccalaureate students can relate to?

> Strike the Blood: This fun seeming LN adaptation follows a lance wielding girl and her evil vampire deuteragonist (and the rest of his harem, if the Key Visual is to be taken literally). They work together to... do stuff, while she prevents him from destorying the world or something.

> destorying

I think it would be funnier that way.

> Freezing Vibration: The second season of the show where Nova tries to destroy a version of Humanity obsessed with boobs (or something)

@Nova?

> Seiyuu Sentai Voiceman: Based of a series of Audio Dramas, this series follows seiyuu who protect the power of moe. I'm not even sure if this will end up airing.

I thought the series about a voice actor was REC.  There's another one?

> Hajime no Ippo: Third season of the boxing anime.

Sorry, still not interested.

> Yushibu, or Yuusha ni Narenakkata something: Wannabe hero turned minimum wager meets lucifer's daughter and harem at work. Comedy ensues.

nope.avi

> Little Busters Refrain: Second season of the J.C.Staff adaptation of Key's VN.

(no notable comment)

> Log Horizon: A bunch of people are stuck in an RPG world, please stop comparing it to SAO. Anyways, our hero (Who is a mage by the way!) follows the mysterious Akatsuki and tries to learn more about the world. In the process, he meets a bulky soldier and a fencing cat. The best show of 2013 ensues.

No, I'll instead compare it to Accel World and .hack//.

> Walkure Romance: A guy becomes an assistant to a female knight in a world where female knights get super clothing damage.

nope.avi

> Meganebu: MEGANEBU! Bishounen are in the glasses club and do glasses club things. In the immortal words of the goddess Yui, fun things will surely be fun.

So first we have a series involving characters in swimwear all the time, and based on it being anime, you'd expect them to be female, but they're male.  Now we have a series involving characters wearing glasses all the time, and based on it being anime, you'd expect them to be female, but they're male.

> Magi Labyrinth of Magic 2: The second season of the popular shounen anime. Expect Magic, or something.

(no notable comment)

> White Album 2: The non sequel to White Album focuses on a love triangle between two girls and a guy in the light music club. Two entire college shows in one season? Ooo

Does this going to involve The Beatles?

> Kuroko no Basket 2: The second season of the popular fujoshi bait basketball show.

Is this that loli basketball show?

> Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle 3: The third season of the popular puzzle anime.

(no notable comment)

> Diamond no Ace: A baseball anime, which I'm betting I.G. are going to try and turn into Kuroko 2.

This reminds me, I need to watch Taishou Baseball Girls.

> Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta: In a world where humans and youkai exist stuff happens. A retelling of the older Yozakura Quartet series, but not a remake.

Ehh, not really into Japanese mythology stuff.

> Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono: The newest in the line of gdgd Fairies animation copying CG short shows. This one is about cute girls and club activities!

For some reason I want to cite both Haruhi and Lagrange.

> Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai!: An idol decides to become a wrestler. Instead of what I initially expected, this is a fanservice show.

I'm not sure what to say, other than that I'm not sure how the heck this would work.

> Machine-doll wa Kizutsukanai: This LN adaptation focuses on a guy and his very own machine doll familliar (which he made) as they attend battle school.

So is this, like, Angelic Layer School?

> Gundam Build Fighters: Gundam in it's truest form finally comes to TV. Two kids live in a world where Gunpla battling is Starcraft, except not just in South Korea. Seems like a fun and hopeful must watch for me.

(no notable comment)

> Gingistune: A Shrine Priest's daughter is the only one who can see a Shrine's messenger. Slice of life. Seems pretty great.

(no notable comment)

> Tokyo Ravens: Somehow not Yozakura Quartet, this seems more shounen. A boy is born into a spirit family but he can't see spirit energy, until a childhood friend changes his life.

Ehh, more mystical whatnot series.  Not my thing.

> Non Non Biyori: The first non-4koma cute girls doing cute things show since... I'm betting since Natsuiro Kiseki. Despite the Silver Link credit for studio, it might just be great.

I thought Cute Girls Doing Cute Things is like, half of anime.

> Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova: SAVE THE NEW WORLD SAVE THE NEW WORLD... Erm, girls are ship interfaces who can defend Earth in a world where evil ships threaten humanity. Seems like it'll be great but I'm not watching.

I had this on my watchlist but now based on the premise I'm reconsidering.  Should I?

> Yowamushi Pedal: An otaku boy joins a racing club. I was initially going to watch it but then I realized they were actually serious about the racing bit...

(no notable comment)

> BlazBlue: Alter Memory: Adaptation of the Arc System Works video games by Fantasista Doll's Hood's Entertainment, so I'm cautious. Especially since BlazBlue's plot is probably unbearable without the fighting bits inbetween. There will be Faylan though!

I thought BlazBlue already had an anime series.  Anyhow, does this one feature the voice of Chihaya Kisaragi?

> Kakumeiki Valvrave 2: Don't watch it. I beg of you.

I share your sentiment.  If there's anything I've learned from chatting anime with you and other folks here and on IRC, it's to avoid Valvrape Valvrave and Genei Taiyo.

> Noucome: A guy who sees VN-like decisions for weird events that actually happen to him gets a harem. Show ensues.

This seems like a meh-at-best premise.

> Samurai Flamenco: Promising premise devolves into male model (with UtaPri design!) being a kind of Toku hero. Could still be promising, but the art looked much better when it was artistic. Also SPYAIR, the greatest enemy of fourteenwings' ears.

What/who is SPYAIR and why are they the greatest enemy of your ears?

> Galilei Donna: Galileo's descendants outrun the international police. Will be super amazing.

wat da fuq

> Koroshiya-san: The Hired Gun: A comedy about an assassin who has to... housekeep and go on natsuyasumi summer vacation.

This just seems like yet another one of those "let's mash together some tropes" premises.  How well it works depends on the execution, naturally.

No pun was intended there.  Really.

> Pupa: A brother has to be his sister's continuuous food source when she becomes a man eating monster. Sadly, it is also "My Little Sister Eating My Flesh Cannot Be This Cute!"

wat

• As for my association, I think it's how similar the Key Visuals look.

But those guys have way fancier clothing and accessories! (on a minor note, I heard the YQ key visual looks like Senran Kagura with less prominent boobs)

I thought the series about a voice actor was REC.  There's another one?

REC had a more uh, grounded premise.

and Genei Taiyo.

Genei Taiyo is like an unbelievable kind of bad. I can't even figure out how to make fun of it.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Has anyone else here been watching Uchouten Kazoku? If I am not mistaken, it shares a head writer with Lagrange, and the novel it is based on is by the same author as The Tatami Galaxy. In any case, it is really, really good.

Is this a sequel or something that's been delayed by, like, years? Because I am pretty sure I remember seeing this same title and description on a chart back when I actually payed attention to animu charts.

It was delayed because of the 2011 Earthquake/Nuclear meltdown.

@JHM: I'll eventually watch it, and "it shares a head writer with Lagrange" is actually the first bad thing I've heard about it

What/who is SPYAIR and why are they the greatest enemy of your ears?

They're a band. I hate them.

I heard the YQ key visual looks like Senran Kagura with less prominent boobs

It's the one Seifuku with the cream sweater and grey skirt.

whut

It is bad.

I think I already have this on my to-watch list, and I've also been curious about how nuclear issues are being portrayed in Japanese creative media in the aftermath of the disaster.

Since it's based on a manga from before the disaster it will probably just be somewhat anti-nuke.

Another not!Megaman thing?  I thought that was Mighty No. 9's whole schtick!

Actually came before Mighty No. 9, like... confirmed as a thing last year.

Never heard of it.

get out

Is this a continuation of Kara No Kyoukai or whatever that's called?

Kara no Kyoukai is Type-Moon, so that wouldn't make sense as KyoAni self-adapting. Kara no Kyoukai's continuation will be a movie that will also be airing as part of fall (But I never do movies or OVAs).

Finally, a series we college and post-baccalaureate students can relate to?

a) Probably not since Toradora's author

b) Paradise Kiss, Kamisama no Memo-chou etc

> destorying

Darn it!

@Nova?

That was the joke, but actually the monsters are just called the Nova.

Does this going to involve The Beatles?

Probably not.

Is this that loli basketball show?

Fujoshi=Yaoi Fangirls. What you're thing of is Ro-Kyu-Bu. Also don't watch Ro-Kyu-Bu.

So is this, like, Angelic Layer School?

Machine-doll is his size and has consciousness.

I thought Cute Girls Doing Cute Things is like, half of anime.

I said non-4koma

Should I?

But but but SAVE THE NEW WORLD SAVE THE NEW WORLD

wat da fuq

Galilei Donna

Fun thing I just learned about Tokyo Ravens: The OP and ED are performed by vocalists from the two major (also possibly only) Techno units (Kurosaki Maon from ALTIMA and Nanjou Yoshino from fripSide) without said units. Which is pretty cool.

It's also Nanjou Yoshino first single ever.

And now I'm imagining sat sitting around being bored/sad since both of his vocalists are busy doing stuff without him (He's the producer/programmer/keyboardist/arranger/composer/everything not singing and rapping do-er for both units).