If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Coppelion and Arpeggio are current-season shows, right?  Our club is apparently going to be looking into current-season stuff next week and I know I'm curious about both of those.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Yes.

Y'know Google and MAL search are definite things.

• edited 2013-10-14 12:57:46

Eh, not my thing, I guess.

I take it you didn't enjoy Fine's reaction and the whole "SYMPHOGEAAAAAH" scene at the end of Symphogear episode 12, then?

Well if I headed a creative team at an animation studio, and I think this concept is ridiculous (which I do), my response would just be to...well, not make stories involving it.

> If I made cartoons I would avoid things that are ridiculous

idungetit.jpg

Also, I read the Getter Robo anthology. Now I really, really wanna see an animated Getter Emperor.* It was at least glimpsed in most chapters (except the Go Nagai one), but there was one chapter with a female Getter team in the distant future, and the Emperor fought some sort of TTGL-sized... thing. Also, the anthology had a bonus spread that was apparently by Imaishi. As in the Gurren Lagann/Trigger guy.

Speaking of Trigger, that transformation sequence in the Kill la Kill opening is very reminiscent of the sequences in Gurren Lagann with the background animation, the cartoon lens flares and the posing. I'm guessing this is intentional. The song itself is just really generic, though.

* yeah, I know one of the OVAs

Spoiler:
    specifically, Armageddon had this, but just seeing the Emperor's component ships isn't nearly enough. And Kyodai Dragon or whatever from New Getter Robo doesn't really count either.

Let me check up on the scene with Fine.  *checks*  Yeah, it worked I guess.  I'm not exactly sure which scene with Fine you're thinking of...  The SYMPHOGEAHHH scene was pretty awesome, though.  On the other hand, the choppiness of the dark!Hibiki animation was rather immersion-breaking, though I just can't think of what they could have replaced it with.

And while I'm not exactly sure what to feel about the very ending, at least they picked a darn good song to end with.

• edited 2013-10-14 14:22:21

By Fine scene I mean Fine in the exact same scene, right before"SYMPHOGEAAAAH" and "LISTEN TO MY SOOOOOONG". Specifically her absolute shock, which was somehow enhanced by the "camera" panning and zooming in.

My favorite part of that scene is Chris and Tsubasa coming up with the music right before Hibiki goes "SYMPHOGEAAAAAAAAAAH". I totally forgot Fine was even in it until that bit until I rewatched it a couple of times.

• edited 2013-10-19 05:23:20

I saw the first episode of Nagi no Asukara  (apparently it's "a-su-ka-ra" and not "a-sa-ku-ra"). Might keep watching just to see how hilarious it gets. The apparent love polygon would almost definitely work if it were played for humor instead. And the thing about fish people glittering in the sunlight is definitely narmy, even without the Twilight associations. Also, Uroko doesn't seem to get as much respect as the local deities in Yozakura Quartet, who get away with sexually harassing the mayor's friend. Although the Yozakura ones could probably get pretty scary if they actually did much.

Speaking of Yozakura, I don't remember the first anime having this much emphasis on Hime being human . I guess dragon people don't count as youkai.

• edited 2013-10-19 16:57:52
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The anime club probably showed Arpeggio last night but I missed it because I was attempting to slog through this zombie-themed board game (to not much avail) with a few other people in a different room. :(

I fear that the only good thing about Arpeggio is SAVE THE NEW WORLD SAVE THE NEW WORLD and I find that song super annoying anyways.

My entire stance on it based on the twintailed ship girl's character design not being super cute, so feel free to never ever listen to me.

• I'm halfway through Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo and it is kind of awesome. The Texas Mack crew were somehow genuinely badass despite (or rather because of) being goofy national stereotypes. (Seriously, cowboys piloting a giant robot cowboy with revolvers). Go is more interesting here than he was in Armageddon, but simultaneously he feels like he's just a typical male lead, except with Getter-type insanity.

Also, that OP is glorious. Truly truly glorious.

this is kinda hilarious

In other news, I don't think I can take Nagi no Asukara seriously, but that's probably a good thing. The show's environments and backgrounds are very pretty though.

• edited 2013-10-24 07:17:09

So, this has been making news:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-23/toei-makes-disc-wars/avengers-anime-for-marvel

http://narinari.com/Nd/20131023445.html

Some sort of kid-oriented Avengers anime by Toei. Apparently it involves five kids gathering disks that have Avengers trapped inside of them. Might be some sort of summon battling anime. This is rather strange.

And apparently Bandai will make the toys. I wonder how they'd handle importing this, considering that Hasbro tends to be in charge of Marvel toys, at least in the U.S.

Apparently it involves five kids gathering disks that have Avengers trapped inside of them.

Gokaiger?

This is rather strange.

Really really really strange.

As for the toys, I'm betting they'll just have two different toylines, though to be honest I'm betting this'll just go the Bakugan/Beyblade route where they'll do one season in Japan and the rest of the seasons will be overseas only.

• edited 2013-10-24 10:42:26

Well, the toylines would probably have to match the show in both markets, so I imagine anyone merchandising it outside of Japan would need to make some deal with Bandai. Then again, I don't really know how these things work.

Anyway, I finished Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo. This was the least confusing Getter OVA, but also the least exciting. Go was.... different from his Armageddon version, but he felt too much like a substitute for Ryoma here. Speaking of Ryoma, he doesn't get to do as much as usual, but he was more pleasant than the other versions.

The final battle was honestly a little disappointing. I'm not sure what the hell the Getter Rays did with Shin Getter 1, but it wasn't nearly as cool as the final battles in New or Armageddon.

But hey, the Texas Mack crew were fun. It baffles me how they don't sound natural speaking Japanese or "English", though.

• edited 2013-10-25 06:44:18
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Although not mentioned, the promotional poster of the anime series includes another lesser known superhero called The Wasp.

[...]

It is also described as the “first animated television series specifically targeted at boys”

pfffft

It is also described as the “first animated television series specifically targeted at boys”

wait really???

• edited 2013-10-31 08:16:20

^ You can look at the article he linked to for then context, man.

I'm up to episode 22 of Suite Precure. Finally, the super-anticipated debut of Cure Beat! (okay, I was anticipating this because I got spoiled about her identity, but it was obviously coming anyway).

Spoiler:
    It looked like in ep 21, Seiren just used her disguise ability to fake a Precure costume...? Didn't seem like her transformation device was actually working until the next episode.

Also, when I saw Serien's necklace glowing,

I half-expected some Norse chanting to start. :p

And woo, she has a guitar... which, she doesn't actually play? And what's the deal with the old guy who plays the pipe organ?

Also, Mephisto actually did stuff directly. That was kind of cool. I wonder when Noise will appear. Probably very late.

And I wonder if the fairies really look like cats or if they're just disguised nearly all the time.

I half-expected some Norse chanting to start. :p

THIS IS MAI GANGNIIIIIIIIIIIR

"Gungnir?!"

For some reason, the idea of Chris Yukine shitposting on a website isn't too hard to believe.

• edited 2013-11-05 10:48:51

^^ I think it should be "GUNGNIR DATO!?"

Anyway, I saw Precure DX3: somethingsomething Niji-iro no Hana. Not as bad as the All-Rider crossovers, but those are like, horrid, anyway. Doesn't amount to much beyond group fight scenes. (Which the All-Rider stuff I've seen weren't actually good at, except Wizard+Decade)

Why did the Suite girls need to remind everybody else to "press forward" at the end? Surely everyone else (who have more experience and all) should already know that that's one of the things that being a hero entails. That scene in Ultraman Saga after they got de-transformed by Hyper Zetton was way better. "hey Taiga, we can still save the day", "really?" "ya rly" "aight let's beat this guy". And was that after-credits scene supposed to be emotional? Just... didn't work for me.

Because they're the ones whose show was running at the moment so they have to look coolest (The Smile movie was co-opted by movie only plot Cure, but they still had the best fight scenes.)

Ooooo

Did that HAVE to feature boob jiggling?  No, it didn't.

Also, I just realized how close it is to 2014.

• edited 2013-11-07 07:12:27

^^ Looks pretty interesting. But the Japanese pronunciation really makes it sound like "baristas". Art looks uh, colorful, which is a good thing because cartoons.

Also, the Fresh Precure girls had like the lamest rolecall ever. "Freshly picked/harvested/whatever" sounds like an advertisement for produce. It would be like if Gaim announced he would beat somebody with the power of vitamin C every episode.

Courtesy of Pangur Bán at Heapers' Hangout.

It would be like if Gaim announced he would beat somebody with the power of vitamin C every episode.

I would watch this

> with the power of Vitamin C

And then at the end of the season, everybody graduates.

• edited 2013-11-08 13:44:20

^^

> implying KR Gaim doesn't have more than enough reasons to watch already

do you even taste

@glennmagusharvey

I'm not even sure if half the cast will survive by the end...

and only one of them goes to school so far anyway.

On an oddly relevant note, Satelight, the studio behind Macross and Symphogear are apparently making an anime featuring Sengoku era figures. Along with Leonardo Da Vinci and Joan of Arc. It apparently also involves mecha.

2014/06/06

It has a release date.

Gundam Unicorn 07 for all you heathens :P

• edited 2013-11-24 13:45:50

I caught up with Kill la Kill:

Sanageyama losing and coming back in episode 6 felt really rushed, especially considering that he did something so extreme. Not that more time should have been dedicated to fight him, just that the big reveal would've had more impact if there was actual time between his first defeat and Ryuuko (with the audience) finding out.

The Fight Club episode was like, actually good instead of just silliness.

I totally knew Gamagoori wasn't really high school age.

Also, I heard on Animesuki this was supposed to be two cours? I... have not been paying attention to the news stuff.