If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• I just don't feel like seriously talking about Lagrange ever again, so whatever.

Anyway, I seriously wonder if Symphogear G would be more interesting if it centered on the new characters instead of the returning cast.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

You feel enough like Lagrange to use Yuricano as your avatar. :P

Also, her name is now Yuricano.  I decree it to be such.  Since I keep typoing it as that.

• Yuricannot do that. :<

Anyway, Symphogear G episode 5 just made it waaaay more exciting, even though I couldn't really understand what was going on. The focus (or at least tone) didn't feel like it shifted too much, and it was neat to hear that battle song from G's first episode again.

Spoiler:
    Also, Hibiki now only has one arm. O_O

• edited 2013-08-13 14:25:57

I finished the original Getter Robo manga. The ending was a blatant setup for the sequel, but I'm more satisfied with the final chapter than the New Getter Robo ending. And it didn't become painfully Ryoma-centric, thankfully. The art style really bugged me for a good number of chapters, though.

Also, Getter Robo Armageddon starts off a little confusing.

On another note, Symphogear G is bouncing between "most exciting thing since since Madoka Magica" to "what are they even trying?"

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Nagi no Asukara PV, the music is wonderful and the visuals are cute. It's actually looking very much like the original Key Visual and I can't wait to watch it.

I like how there are suddenly fish in the sky everywhere, it's as if P.A.Works are saying "Hanairo and Tari Tari were mistakes! We're still P.A.Works, we swear!"

:D

• edited 2013-08-25 07:42:38

Okay, I'm starting to wonder if Kaneko has been deciding Symphogear G's plot twists by throwing dice. Being crazy or inept just doesn't explain the twist at the end of ep 7.

Also, I've watched a few episodes of Gosick on Crunchyroll, and I'm a little impressed at how unrecognizable Aoi Yuuki's voice is compared to what little else I know her for. Although I'm not a mystery fiction type, so I can't really say if this show is actually any good.

Unrelated to the show itself, Crunchyroll's subs bug me.

crunchyroll what's wrong with you?

The story is not set in Japan. These characters are not Japanese people. They can't actually be speaking Japanese. Why keep the Japanese honorifics? It's not like this kind of thing is unheard of. The main character being called "Kujo-kun" kinda works, since he is Japanese and maaaaybe people actually use Japanese honorifics when speaking to him. But with other characters it just looks stupid and doesn't make sense.

By the way, I made an unfortunate typo with the picture's filename.

^^ Whoa, is that a more-faithful-to-the-games reboot of the anime series?

Dangit...it's making me want to watch it...which will make me want to play the games again...ARGH

^ Yeah, I completely agree on those honorifics, given the information you've provided.  I am unfamiliar with Gosick but it doesn't make sense for people in non-Japanese countries, interacting with non-Japanese people, to use Japanese honorifics.

Also, I would not have figured out that Tsubomi in Heartcatch Precure is Nana Mizuki if I weren't told that.

Tsubomi in Heartcatch Precure is Nana Mizuki

She's just using a modified version of her Collette voice in Heartcatch, which is sort of I guess her normal younger female voice.

Although I'm not a mystery fiction type, so I can't really say if this show is actually any good.

I liked it, though it's probably not like... good.

But that's not the voice she's known for, I guess?  I mean, like, if anything, I know her for the strong adult female voice she uses in her songs.

I don't think VAs are known for their specific voices and if they are that's a bad thing ie Hanakan and her one moe character voice, and even she manages to play rough sounding little boys.

Like... as Tsubasa in Symphogear she sounds differently than from Evangeline Yamamoto from Zetsuen no Tempest. She even sings differently as Tsubasa.

Well she's clearly singing differently in Tsubomi ~Future Flower~ so I don't doubt her ability to keep up a voice in a song.

• edited 2013-08-26 02:25:15

Apparently there's gonna be another Getter Robo anime. Dino Getter?

http://tomodachi.us/2013/07/30/40th-anniversary-getter-robo-project-unveiled/

http://onepixeljump.com/2013/08/14/getter-robo-2014-anime-announced-unleash-dino-getter/

Might be pretty amazing, although there doesn't seem to be much info out yet. Getter 2 having a dinosaur head on one arm and a drill on the other reminds me of that robot from Gokaiger.

• Kichigai birthday!!

• So I recently got complete DVD sets for RahXephon and Fate/stay Night. Should I liveblog either one of those? Would it actually get replies here?

• Well, RahXephon is actually good, so there's that.

On the other hand, a not blind liveblog of it wouldn't be as fun.

• I'm pretty much going in blind with RahXephon, actually. Fate/stay Night I've already seen but I'm like, not sure if I enjoyed it much when I saw it, and even less sure if I'll enjoy it now.

• edited 2013-09-10 02:54:34

kanade

So, I'm 3 episodes into Suite Precure, which I decided to see just because a few names shared with Symphogear.

• I can kinda see why Commie or whomever mistook "Nehushtan" for "Mephisto" when Symphogear first aired.

• Hibiki and Kanade once broke up because they each (or at least just Hibiki) thought the other didn't keep a promise to meet up. This is needlessly overdramatic, even beating out Yomi from Black Rock Shooter.

• Three episodes in, and two of those have them in danger of quitting? Are these guys like, Jetman-level dysfunctional?

• I read somewhere that Hibiki's mother is named "Maria". I will be so disappointed if she doesn't arrive later on wearing a black version of Kanade's costume.

• That transformation sequence takes too long, especially considering they can't/don't fight while transforming.

Three episodes in, and two of those have them in danger of quitting? Are these guys like, Jetman-level dysfunctional?

Hibiki and Kanade to not get along.

which is possibly why Kanade dies :O

That transformation sequence takes too long,

I think it's the skirt bit that takes forever and is a bit boring. Just wait until there are 4 of them.

I just walk away and get a drink when I hit a transformation sequence.

but that means you're not watching them

i'm sorry, but we can't be friends anymore

• edited 2013-09-10 12:46:52
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

AI'M SOWWYYYYYYYYY :...(

I watch them the first several times, but when it's clear that I'm going to be watching the same transformation sequence over again for the twentieth time...yeah.

Though sometimes they actually DO interrupt the transformation sequence, which makes things interesting.

not good enough

• edited 2013-09-10 13:41:06

Oh get a room you two.

All those complaints aside, Suite is at least watchable so far. But I have a pretty low bar for that. Although the villains using magic music powers to make people randomly sob just sounds kinda silly, and it would be more neat if the Gungnirs Precures pointed that out.

which is possibly why Kanade dies :O

Now I want to see a version of Symphogear where Hibiki and Kanade are main characters together even more.

By the way, there needs to be an update of this picture to include Maria Houjou and Maria Cadenzavna Eve.

• edited 2013-09-15 14:05:32
    There is love everywhere, I already know

So I spent like an entire year being a LagRin fan and actually defending it.

:|

(This is why everything must be rewatched!)

• edited 2013-09-15 15:41:19

^ traitor :(

Seriously, though, why?  The only thing I object to in that series is the fanservice.

And stories should have their biggest impact their first time around anyway.  Experiencing it again it just not going to be the same once you know all the spoilers.  Unless we're dealing specifically with a story that's designed for second passes.

That said, I've only seen the first season.  Can you still at least be a fan of the first season...please...?

----

Realization about Nanoha StrikerS: this show contains an example of an official organization working properly, for once.  Rather than showing a school of interpersonal drama, or an office group filled with intrigue, or some other dysfunctional social group.

• edited 2013-09-15 16:29:28

I think with 14w, the disappointment is an "ah, I didn't think of it that way" kind.

For me, most, if not all the disappointment came from season 2, since I think I mainly viewed the first season as a build-up when I saw it. Madoka was a very poorly handled protagonist.

Spoiler:
    It took like forever for her to actually use her Vox to fight in season 2, and when she does fight, it's not a very satisfying one. And she ends up as pretty much the same kind of person as she started, literally doing what she always did, just with a wider reach or something. Because who needs character growth. And honestly, I can't tell what kind of message that was supposed to convey. It was like nobody was sure how she should deal with her life issues, so they went "screw it, she doesn't have to". And not in a way that would have been exciting or satisfying either.

Anyway, I think I reached the point in Suite Precure where Hibiki and Kanade are no longer in danger of breaking up. Which is good, since it was getting pretty annoying.

• edited 2013-09-16 11:56:46
    There is love everywhere, I already know

And stories should have their biggest impact their first time around anyway.

No, surprise and newness shouldn't affect experience after the first watching, and the nostalgic aspect is pretty bad.

Can you still at least be a fan of the first season...please...?

To be honest no, the first season is also pretty bad. Nothing ever actually happens outside of Muginami's arc, characters for Madoka and Lan only appear in the 11th episode (and Lan only ever appears again in the middle of the Yurikano arc in season 2). Madoka is hyped by the second episode to be very loving towards Kamogawa and ingenuitive with her fighting style, this is never ever brought up again. It was frustrating to watch Episode 10 of the first season because there actually was no buildup to the lesson Astelia was trying to teach Madoka so it really made no sense. Lan in the first season is like... super pointless because she claims to have presence which she never does. Lan's brother is even worse, he fails to like... show up at all in the first season and really he doesn't show up except physically in the second cour either.

Taking Le Garite's word for things was a bad idea, skipping the majority of the fun diplomacy between Earth and the other planets is worse (and so is skipping the bit where De Metrio is like "Hey Villy you can be king again!"). They never bring up the concept of Earth being left out of something that deeply concerns it and was born from it.

THEN we have the Vox legend itself, which they devote episode 3 (Season 1) and scene after scene to but it never ever actually comes up. They reveal Asteria is Maycun but so what because it doesn't matter ever. They reveal Moid is a villain and he had a Vox core and that he gives it to Dizelmine and drives him crazy but nothing ever makes sense because they never bother explaining or even... attempting to hint at what Moid was up to! What is the Rinne's voice anyways? How come Moid dissappears and not Asteria? Why does the Rinne drive Dizelmine mad? Why does Grania even exist? Why did anything in this story bother being a thing!

It fails as both a narrative and a plot. I was definitely stretching what I said about the first cour, the only good episodes were 5 (and even that had Villagiulio being dumb) and 9 (Which also has the problem of side-characters having 99% more personality than Madoka and then never doing anything!). In fact, those are probably the only two good episodes of the entire series! The Yurikano arc is just dumb and the rest of the second season's episodes were pointless drivel!

And honestly, I can't tell what kind of message that was supposed to convey.

No message, but there's a lesson: Sometimes things suck and you watch 25 episodes of it and not realize, then you rewatch it and try to be as kind as possible to it but they still suck.

• edited 2013-09-16 13:58:43

No, surprise and newness shouldn't affect experience after the first watching, and the nostalgic aspect is pretty bad.

Nostalgia should not count, but the first experience of a story should definitely count.  Going through a story with spoilers is just not the same as experiencing it fresh.  And aside from dedicated fans, I doubt most people will watch a show more than once.

Now, if you're saying that you're re-watching something and now getting the chance to pick it apart and examine how well the pieces fit together, then that's something else.  In most cases, an ideal narrative is one where you don't intuitively start picking it apart, because you're too immersed in the narrative context itself.

Nothing ever actually happens outside of Muginami's arc, characters for Madoka and Lan only appear in the 11th episode

But in real life interesting things don't happen continuously either.

And by "characters" do you mean characterization?  If so, Madoka and Lan get lots of characterization well before episode 11.

Nothing ever actually happens outside of Muginami's arc, characters for Madoka and Lan only appear in the 11th episode

I think this might have been expanded on if the first season were two cours in length rather than one.  As it is, the show has barely enough time to put the audience in Madoka's shoes to observe and interact with the many events happening around and to her, and to try to give some context to these events.

It was frustrating to watch Episode 10 of the first season because there actually was no buildup to the lesson Astelia was trying to teach Madoka so it really made no sense.

Wait...there was a lesson?  ~reviews episode~  Oh, that conversation.  I didn't think much of it, to be honest.  The most important thing about that scene was not what Asteria did (excepting maybe what she did well before it), but how Madoka responded to it.

Lan in the first season is like... super pointless because she claims to have presence which she never does.

...huh???

Lan's brother is even worse, he fails to like... show up at all in the first season and really he doesn't show up except physically in the second cour either.

Isn't this basically complaining that a minor character doesn't show up much?  Seems circular.

Overall, I agree that the story left a bunch of threads loose by the end.  But the story was effective despite doing that.  It was able to do so because the audience has the same perspective as Madoka -- basically, a well-meaning person who got swept up into a thing much bigger than they expected, much faster than they expected as well.  And she tries her best to do the right thing, though sometimes she has to stop and think about things.  And at the end of the series, everything goes away as fast as it swept in, and all we're left with is memories of what happened.

And that's a journey we can all relate to.

Isn't this basically complaining that a minor character doesn't show up much?  Seems circular.

He's not a minor character.

But in real life interesting things don't happen continuously either.

LagRin is a show where an ADHD girl is handed a legendary mecha. A mecha wanted by a Kingdom and Criminals who proceed to... sit around for three entire months before doing anything.

And by "characters" do you mean characterization?  If so, Madoka and Lan get lots of characterization well before episode 11.

Examples, please.

And she tries her best to do the right thing.

When? When she shots at Villagiullio while unsure of whether he's going to come and destroy the planet? When she activates the Rinne which causes all sorts of disaster and only stops because she was unable to continue because Yurikano stopped her?

I can't even credit her for getting Lan and Muginami to get along, because the entire relationship feels forced. Yes, Madoka, Lan and Muginami do not seem like friends to me.

though sometimes she has to stop and think about things

Like when?