If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2013-06-06 20:34:44

That manga with the painfully long title that tends to be abbreviated as Watamote has a new promo vid. Mostly just singing, but there's a little bit of talking at the end. I hope she annoys me enough in the anime. According to ANN, Tomoko is voiced by Izumi Kitta, whose resume is entirely things I've never seen.

Also, more information on new Symphogear characters. I wonder if @fourteenwings will be a little disappointed that none of them seem like Kamen Rider Double. But hey, one of them has the same VA as Mio from K-On.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^ Her face is kinda weird it seems.

Also, WcDonald's.

• edited 2013-06-08 01:06:20
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I'd really, really appreciate a nice hard look at appearance-based perceptions of age in anime characters and artistic age cues for characters drawn in the animesque art style, especially after the craziness in that thread, but something tells me this is gonna be hard to sort out, first because every person's interpretation of the cues is probably a little different, and second, because of the implications of the topic, it's proven to be a touchy subject.

(In fact, someone's probably gonna take this very post and claim that this is an attempt at apologism for child sexualization.)

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I wonder if @fourteenwings will be a little disappointed that none of them seem like Kamen Rider Double. But hey, one of them has the same VA as Mio from K-On.

Yes, but still, NEW GEARS

I'd really, really appreciate a nice hard look at appearance-based perceptions of age in anime characters and artistic age cues for characters drawn in the animesque art style

I'll usually assume someone is young if they are drawn more adorably than the rest of the cast, slightly shorter+waify thin also seems to be shorthand for younger characters in shows with Main Casts in high school.

• This is one of the more exaggerated examples of age contrast I can think of.

But I think anime is kind of all over the place with age cues or whatever. I'm bringing up the Baka & Test cast again, with how Yuji (guy on the far left) is supposed to be about the same age as everybody else in the picture.

By the way, GMH, what did you mean in the other thread about the sexual dimorphism thing in the picture? Also, the fanservice isn't nearly as bad as Rinne no Lagrange can get. At least in most of the eps I've seen or can remember.

• edited 2013-06-08 02:57:36
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, compare your picture with this:

http://myanimelist.net/character/1174/Ryohei_Tachibana <-- 19 years old

http://myanimelist.net/character/33631/Ranko_Mikogami <-- 20 years old

That is the kind of bizarrely-exaggerated sexual dimorphism Sky Girls exhibits.

Speaking of which, it looks like TV Tropes has a new image for the Sky Girls page.  (It used to be this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ee/Sky_Girls.jpg/230px-Sky_Girls.jpg )

It's actually an improvement!  (Though also a spoiler.  But not even I care and I've seen the show.)

• edited 2013-06-10 00:51:35
    There is love everywhere, I already know

I love it. I love träumerei. Oh please be amazing!

And new Symphostuff! Masahito Shibata is my favoraite new character, outside of the new gear users and Serena. I really think Shirabe has lots of potential to be awesome.

there will be 8 in total (10 if you include the OP and ED theme singles)

Well then, there goes all my money.

• edited 2013-09-15 13:47:06

So I've been rewatching Rinne no Lagrange. I'm at episode 5 right now but there are a couple of things I already want to discuss.

Muginami is a fun character,al ost a complete extrovert whose trust is hard-earned. Muginami never bothers looking into herself because she doesn't really care what's there and how she as a human being deals with things. She just wants to have fun all the time, she'll reveal any detail if asked the right questions. Muginami wishes to protect no-one as she doesn't really think that far, she only wants to protect her abstract experiences. She wants to be accepted and to have fun in the moment while still managing to have a semblance of a long-time goal. That aspect of her personality reads into her ability to think on her feet which contrasts Lan's calculating nature. She's is hard to read and unpredictable because of it.

But of course Villagiullio is an idiot for no real reason to her. You ask someone to get something and then are angry at them for getting it (Considering how hard it is to even get in there), it was quite frustrating.

• edited 2013-06-10 21:02:18

@glennmagusharvey Ah, well BakaTest kinda has the opposite issue. If you look at the picture, there are three dudes, but only one has significantly different skeletal structure from the females. Hideyoshi (light brown hair) is right next to his sister, and they look near-identical. Akihisa isn't in the picture, but he's been able to pass as female. Kouta (bluish-grey hair in the picture) doesn't have a more masculine physique than Akihisa or Hideyoshi.

Anyway, I think this shot shows pretty obvious age difference between the characters in the picture. It helps that Chris (far right) isn't drawn with as large a bust size as usual. But, I don't think most anime character designers really try to make age difference all that apparent. Not in a "draw everybody looking the same" kind of way, though. More like how in My-HiME, Mikoto looks (very) obviously younger than many other characters, but Mai looks... overdeveloped compared to other teenagers in the series.

• GODDAMNIT

YOU JUST HAD TO GO THERE VALVRAVE DIDN'T YOU

GODDAMNIT WHAT THE HELL VALVRAVE 

K Spoilers

Basically, great show about leadership and followers with all the baggage that comes along with both those things.

Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 2000% 03: I actually quite enjoyed it, of course there was formula towards the end, but it's UtaPri.

Our overarching plot this season appears to be the UtaPri award, so everyone is going to go out and do various idol jobs and develop as characters (while also managing to sing their new CD songs, Shou's is pretty good by the way). This is a Shou episode, so I'm surprised I actually managed to like it, but I think his development was well done. Natsuki and Cecil were there and acting adorable, so that's always good.

• edited 2013-09-15 13:48:19

So I've been watching Bakemonogatari lately, I'm up to the fourth episode and I'm really enjoying both the world and the character interaction. Koyomi and Senjougahara are both wonderful and the few moments when Tsubasa has shown up so far have shown what a promising character she is. As for the world, the many mysterious things that happen are interesting and Oshino is a great exposition-slash-mentor figure which adds to all the mysticism.

And the ED is by supercell, so everyone should go watch it.

Aside from that, I've started Dog Days' (again) and I'm really glad. Becky's thing at the end of episode two aside, it's really captured the fast-pace and the generally happy/wonderous atmosphere of the first season well. Couver is adorable/thoughtful and I like that Pastillage has a unique trait that actually makes them worthwhile to have around in the battle situations. Speaking of battles, the Fire/Water/Air dynamic that Biscotti/Gallete/Pastillage have going on seems like it's going to be interesting and I look forward to seeing more. As for the music, the soundtrack is quite evocative of the adventures in Flonyard and Nana Mizuki/Yui Horie never ever fails.

And I also watched UtaPri 2000% 04, which was a Masato episode and had Mamoru Miyano pretending to be a Feudal-era maiden, so that was practically perfect. I also really liked how Cecil didn't become extremely jealous when he found out Masato was in love with Haruka, the entire "Haruka likes idols" thing might be enough motivation to get Cecil to do that thing with Shou like in the ED become an idol.

• RANDO SHOUNEN MANGA MANHWA UPDATE FUN TIME! - The Letter B Edition

Bleach - welp, that multi-power-clusterfuck explanation came straight out of Kubo's ass.  I will continue reading because a) I love the Spanish-Japanese-German worldplay and b) I'm a whore. 

Beelzebub - holy shit they killed an important guy.  Almost.  So that's basically an arbitrary excuse for Main Character's Friends to beat up Current Villain's Friends, and I'm okay with this. 

The Breaker: New Waves - I am so glad that Shioon is awesome again.  I have been waiting for this for about a year, and it's (mostly) delivering.  Breaker is like HSDK with better martial arts and less bullshit.  But still some bullshit. 

• edited 2013-06-21 11:33:53

Bleach

That's a thing I'm supposed to be reading, but I still can't get over Squad 0.

I should really read more manhwa, I liked Moon Boy a lot but every other title I came across seemed to be a weird anti-genderbending genderbending shoujo thing.

And shounen in general, but I prefer my shounen in anime form and over the last year nothing new that seemed interesting has come up.

• She looks like she had a profound revelation that's hilariously dumb. Like "omigosh, there are fingers attached to your right hand!"

Anyway, there's at least two shows for this summer, specifically Symphogear G and The One With A Really Long Title Which Gets Abbreviated to "Watamote". that I seriously want to follow as the episodes come out. Which is already a lot for me since I'm not a "follow new stuff" kind of person.

• edited 2013-06-23 10:15:05

I should do a preview like I used to but I missed Spring and just got completely thrown off. Or did I not miss Spring and just not remember?

She looks like she had a profound revelation that's hilariously dumb.

I think she's trying to convince Shirabe to do something.

• edited 2013-06-24 07:20:58

Yaaay so I'm contractually obligated to continue!

Blood Lad: This has been quite the troubled production, first confirmed as an OVA last year for both Spring and Fall, it's finally getting ten episodes. And, unlike Mondaiji it doesn't seem like it was made for it. The premise of an otaku ruler of hell trying to save an "authentic Japanese schoolgirl" sounds cute, and I'd completely consider watching this if for some reason my mind were telling me not to since there'll probably be ecchi. I'm expecting quite the bit of action though.

Brothers Conflict: Based on an Otome LN series, we follow [Girl X] as she's surrounded by lots of bishounen who are supposed to be sorta kinda related to her, so apparently the siscon thing goes both ways. Her new mother is a novelist, but she moves out of that house to live with the bishounen, so that's not going to be a thing. As one of the few otome shows based on a premise where the bishounen aren't exactly forced to interact with each other, it sounds like it'll be a bit boring. The art is pretty.

Dangan Ronpa: I've heard that a lot of people are looking forward to this. I thought it was based on a rhythm game but it turns out it's a VN. The character designs are sort of fun and the plot interesting but implausible, with talented high school kids forced to kill each other to tell who the culprit of the original crime was or whatever and there's a bear too. Not watching and I'm assuming it'll be kind of not great.

Fantasista Doll: Angelic Layer by Code Geass' original creator? Sign me up! (Despite what this probably means for quality) .We don't really know many plot details aside from the dolls powering up with cards and the dolls basic personalities, but pretty fighting dolls is definitely a concept I like and the dolls are definitely cute. Watching.

Fate/wordswordswords PRISMA ILLYA: A magical girl version of Fate/Stay Night, so while I'm betting you won't need to have watched the original most of the jokes will center around it. This is also only ten episodes, which kind of scares me since the ten episode season could become a thing eventually. The designs aren't all that cute for a mahou shoujo series either.

Free!: It's the Swimming Anime, made real for all the fujoshi! I'm kind of mad at KyoAni for pulling yet another Chuu2 and picking one of their own label books to animate instead of finding the next Hyouka, but I'm betting fans of the genre will be pleased while the rest avoid it. Like... I wouldn't be so sad if there was any substance going in, but it doesn't even look as entertaining as Chuu2.

Futari wa Milky Holmes: Another entry in the absolutely insane Milky Holmes franchise, it's a spinoff, so newcomers will probably be welcomed. It's probably going to be really funny and cute, but I can't watch it knowing that I've skipped the previous series alltogether.

Gatchaman Crowds: While I was more interested when the only Key Visual we had was a black and white piece of artwork that I assumed would transform the Gatchaman series into a weird but fun world filled with darkness, it turns out it's basically a full-length Kyousogiga 2. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's not what I expected and Kyousogiga really benefitted from being a short show. Will be watching anyways.

Gen'ei wo Kakeru Taiyou: I've posted about this anime before and it's probably the one new show I've put lots of focus on. The key is in it's mysteriousness, we have a plot, we have characters, we have a PV, but you still can't guess how it'll play out. I guess it's like that with most shows but I'm truly interested and I really want something great to come of this. Of course I've critisized some of the Magical Girl designs but the normal designs are adorable and it has a LiSA OP too. Definite watch.

Genshiken Nidaime: The third Genshiken series, notable for being a sequel to an anime that wasn't aired in the past three years. It's about a group of otaku who do stuff, I'm not really interested but I'm betting fans of the original will really love it.

Hakkenden -Touhou Hakken Ibun- 2: Shino and the other bead holder's adventures continue in this sequel to the Winter anime, I'm betting I'll really enjoy watching this just as I enjoyed the first season. Presumably new features will include an actual conclusion with Hamaji's brother and more Asakeno screentime.

High School DXD New: The second season of this popular ecchi work which preceeded greats such as Hagure Yuusha no Estetica and Campione, I bet people who enjoy this genre will love it, but I'm skipping.

Hyperdimension Neptunia the Animation: A video game adaptation! I've already played the original game and the plot was somewhat fun... what I remember of it. Anyways, for those who don't know, it's Moe Moe Console Kingdom. I'm betting it'll be a fun ride and it has adorable art and all these things place it in my "Might watch" list.

Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou: A bookworm is killed and resurrected as a dog and has to be read to by a sadistic novelist who enjoys torturing him with scissors. This plot is absolutely bonkers, but it sounds fun enough. Not watching though.

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi: An interesting adaptation that begins in a world where nobody dies or is born and a girl is digging graves, a man then appears and kills everyone but her. It sounds oddly like an old 90s show and also looks really pretty and distinctive. The one thing that bothers me oddly enough is the soundtrack in the PV, which feels weirdly off. Anyways, definite watch.

Kanetsugu to Keiji: A Sengoku anime that is not about moe moe Sengoku people, in fact, it's about buff buff Sengoku people. It sounds somewhat interesting and buff guys are in it and it's being made by Studo DEEN, who I kind of want to support ever since Hakkenden so I'll put it on my might watch list.

Kimi no Iru Machi: This is a thing being made by GONZO about a guy who has to accomodate a girl from Tokyo, it seems oddly inviting as a premise, until you factor in the love triangle. That said, I really wanted to like it, but I probably wouldn't, so no. Also it's apparently adapting 230+ chapters into 12/13 episodes, hope that works out...

Kingdom 2: The story of whatever this show is about (I know it's set in China though) continues! So I'm obviously not watching it.

Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku: A schoolgirl slice-of-life series that's touting itself on it's name, I hate that. Series like this can end up really bad or really really good. The go-home club could suck or be great, but it's extremely hard to know either way unless you watch it and I don't exactly have time to... So... it's a good show to give a chance, just not for me.

Kin-iro Mosaic: This is going to be adorable, it's going to be amazing, there will be tears shed by me in the finale just because this show will be that great. At least I hope. Kin-iro Mosaic is about a Japanese girl being visited by a British friend, and, as I said, I'm betting it will be amazing. Again, as with most Slice-of-life, that's all we have to go on premise wise.

Love Lab: A Yonkoma about two girls practising romance with each other, expect light yuri.

Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist: A Hakkenden and Karneval esque show about Bishonen doing stuff in a well-built world. Again, will probably be interesting, but I'll skip it.

Monogatari Series Second Season: The return of the valiant ongoing second King of anime at the moment, I'll be watching this if I can get all the other shows before it out of the way.

Watamote: Ah Watamote, the manga that inspired an entire generation of /a/-ers to import a manga. It's quite the cringe comedy and the chapters are quite short, so I'll be interested to see what they'll do with it. Hopefully they'll fix the pacing problem and the weird gaps in storytelling that I personally experienced with the manga. I won't be watching, but it seems promising.

Recorder and Ransell Mi: The short series about the ageswapped siblings returns, have never seen it and probably won't start now.

Ro-Kyu-Bu SS: The sorta kinda on the creepy side little girl basketball anime returns, this time with even more sports or something. I'll be skipping it.

Rozen Maiden: Third season of the interestingly mystical series about a guy and his doll. I'm still unsure if it's a third season or a reboot, so I don't know if I'll be watching yet.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear G: The long awaited second season of the critically hated but fourteenwings' loved musical magical girl anime. Hibiki, Tsubasa and Chris return to face new adventures, more Noise and new Gear holders. WIth a great set of main characters and new interesting supporting characters I can practically predict a first day preorder for every BD and CD.

Senyuu Dai 2-ki: A continuation of the short adventure series. Didn't watch the first so I won't be watching this one.

Servant x Service: 4koma about public service? Sounds fun! I'll definitely be watching if it's full length, but I'm predicting shorts, which doesn't seem as appealing to me for some reason.

Silver Spoon: The critically acclaimed but fourteenwing's indifferent-ed show by the creator of Fullmetal Alchemist. It seems pretty shounen despite airing in the noitaminA block. One last thought: The sharp anime art actually looks like a downgrade from the inviting manga art. I hope it turns out really good for everyone who wishes to enjoy it.

Tamayura ~More Aggressive~: Second season of the Slice of Life anime about photography. Seems good, but I haven't seen the first season (Or even the original OVAs) so I won't be watching it.

Tekyuu 2: More tennis shorts! Didn't watch the first, probably not starting now.

Tokurei Sochi Dantai Stella Jogakuin Koutouka C3-Bu: A schoolgirl series about fun survival games. People are already comparing it to Girls und Panzer, but I get a very different feel from the promo materials so far. Even so, I'm predicting it'll manage to be cute, fun and informative on weaponry and tactics. Definite watch.

Uchouten Kazoku: A show set in a world where Youkai live openly and centered around the family of a tanuki, made by PA Works and channeling their creative side as previously shown in The Tatami Galaxy. It's going to be great, but I'm not watching it.

The World God Only Knows Megami-hen: Third season of the popular manga adaptation, fans are mad that it's skipping bad parts of the manga to get to the parts they like, I don't even know how that works. Anyways, didn't watch the first two, not starting now.

So, I'll be watching:

Senki Zesshou Symphogear G: In the Distance, That Day, When the Star Became Music
    Hakkenden -Touhou Hakken Ibun- 2
    Gen'ei wo Kakeru Taiyou
    Kin-iro Mosaic
    Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi
    Fantasista Doll
    Gatchaman Crowds
    C3-Bu
    Monogatari Second Season

And I might watch:

Rozen Maiden
    Kanetsugu to Keiji
    Hyperdimension Neptunia
    Servant x Service
    Blood Lad

• Kimi is a pretty entertaining manga, which I picked up because I've been a Kouji Seo fan since checking out Cross Over (starts okay, gets better, then ends poorly) and later Suzuka (starts okay, gets weirder, then ends AWESOMELY).  I have no idea how they're going to condense it into 13 episodes, but it'll probably be only the first arc, before most of the major characters leave for college. 

I know almost nothing about Dangan Rompa, but the two PSP visual novels are among the most popular VNs on the system.  The second DR was the highest-reviewed PSP game of 2012, based on user reviews on Famitsu's website.  I'd import, except that I don't understand a lick of Japanese.  Damn.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

The World God Only Knows Megami-hen: Third season of the popular manga adaptation, fans are mad that it's skipping bad parts of the manga to get to the parts they like, I don't even know how that works. Anyways, didn't watch the first two, not starting now.

Because skipping some captures means that it will have a gap in the story and some characters that play an important role in the goddess arc are introduced in that part that will be missing.

They could always adapt all the important bits that link to the arc at the start, nothing's stopping that.

Anyone got an opinion on any of the following series?

• Utawarerumono

• Air Gear

• Tytania

• Baldr Force EXE Resolution

• Strain

• Ragnarok the Animation

• Fractale

• Last Exile

• Lost Universe

• Master Keaton

• Black Butler

• Paranoia Agent

• Nadesico

• edited 2013-06-30 16:02:43
    a little muffled

Fractale
    Stupid ending; other than that it's...decent. I enjoyed watching it at the time but I don't know if I'd recommend it.

Haven't seen any of the others.

• Kichigai birthday!!

Paranoia Agent is very good, sorry I can't give a more deep review but I suck at those kind of things

What about Star Ocean EX, Wild ARMs - Twilight Venom, or the Tower of Druaga - the Aegis of Uruk and the Sword of Uruk?

• @glennmagusharvey: Air Gear I haven't seen in years, but I get the impression that the ending was too abrupt since the anime was made before the manga got too far. You might fin the fanservice more than a little obnoxious, though. Not just the fanservice itself, but how over-the-top pervy one ofthe characters acts.

Black Butler wasn't bad, but it didn't stand out too much for me.

Also, I finished Black Rock Shooter like, a while ago, but never mentioned it here.I still don't quite get it.

Spoiler:
    So, how many people actually noticed Yuu? I think Yomi noticed her, and not being Mato's best friend was part of Yomi's odd angst, but I'm not completely sure.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Black Butler was a series I liked, the set up of a victorian london mystery series was  a big hook for me though.