If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Found on my Facebook feed:

I realized I am not the target audience for the NBA playoffs when all the commercials are for combat video games

Discuss.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

gotta appeal to them dudebros

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

By combat video games, does he mean super brown shooty shooty games?

Or punchy kicky games?

• Hmm.  The Score Attack in Cthulhu Saves the World appears to be broken.

• edited 2013-04-23 03:56:56
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Probably shooty shooty games.

Also, that's a "she" btw.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/23/skullgirls-crowdfunding-stymied-by-paypal/

Paypal is continuing to operate by its normal business plan of finding any excuse possible to steal money from people. Victim of the day: the Skullgirls devs.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123447-Gearbox-Snags-Homeworld-Rights

So Gearbox has purchased the rights to Homeworld. Don't worry, Homeworld fans! They have "nothing but love and respect" for the IP! Much like they had nothing but love and respect for Aliens and Duke Nukem.

I'm really glad I'm not a Homeworld fan right now.

• But you never had any to begin with.

You can hardly blame Gearbox for Duke Nukem. That it was only mediocre instead of flat out terrible was nothing short of a miracle considering its development cycle.

Didn't stop them selling it for $60.

And even aside from that, all indication is that Aliens: Colonial Marines was a straight-up scam on every level.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Ouch. I've never played Homeworld but I'm pretty worried about this mostly out of respect for Relic (one of my favorite developers).

Started playing Adventure Apes and the Mayan Mystery.

The game seems to be organized as a set of mini-metroidvanias.

Criticisms:
    * I can't figure out how to get back to the opening area after making it into the ruins.  Whatever was there was probably optional (probably a key and a treasure chest), but given the game's theming on exploration, this should be fixed.
    * door transitions can lead you to crash into an enemy in the next room (since nemies respawn upon re-entering room)
    * possible (though unlikely) to run completely out of ammo and have no usable weapons

Praise:
    * lighting effect that dims locations far from you is a nice touch

• I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

They did make a decent DLC for duke nukem.

And Aliens: Colonial Marine was a case of them screwing over part of their development team in order to focus on borderlands 2.

Just started Ys Origin.

It is AWESOME.

And thanks to combat training with Adol Christin, Yunica has only died once to each of the first two bosses.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-23 17:47:47

Yeah, the game is way more fun than it has any right to be.  Finishing off my Nightmare run is pretty much my first priority after getting a desktop that can run the True Final Boss without dropping half my input to frameskip.

By first two bosses, do you mean the big end-level demons, or just Vagullion and Velagunder?  Because while I'd be pleased if you had that little trouble with the centipede boss (especially with Yunica), I'd be quite surprised.

Not strictly video games, but related.  Is anyone else having Steam update constantly today?  It's asked to restart like 5-6 times now for the same update.

• edited 2013-04-23 18:05:36

Steam updated when I started it yesterday, and there was another update today.

Edit: And I just mean the bat company demon and the mouth-on-the-ground demon.

• edited 2013-04-23 18:51:48

Crap, I walked into Epona's boss room with 7 HP.

Edit: YES!!!  TAKE THAT!!!

Thanks behaving like Chester.  And thanks for the full heal.  Now to actually unlock that save point.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Having much fun with Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. This is a good game.

• ...how do you walk into a boss room with anything less than full HP?  There's a statue in front of every single one in the game.

• edited 2013-04-23 19:36:31

Because the statue was guarded by a difficult monster, whom I didn't feel like dealing with.

Anyway, I think I found the noob bridge.

Okay, how do I kill these electric turtles?  @Bee, care to give this dumb hick Yunica a hint?

• You can't yet, but it will be extremely obvious in the next two screens.

So this is kinda like gaining the whirlwind to deal with the volcano bugs.

• edited 2013-04-23 21:15:03

Oh GOSH the arthropod is...quite distinctive, to say the least.

Its ouroburos form is a sight to behold.  Its poisonous, explosive shit, however, is not.

This is a very impressive implementation of a segmented boss, I must say.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-23 21:25:20

Yeah he stonewalled me for a while.  Welcome to the rest of the game.

On the upside, that was the part where I learned to kick ass instead of flailing around and watching stuff die.  Nygtilger is one of relatively few I can take down easily on Nightmare, and one of my favorites in hindsight.  When you get the fight down, it isn't tedious or random at all, just a tight carefully-aimed blitz with little room for error.

For future reference, don't bother going for the midboss achievement in the next level, just pick it up on Very Easy.  Hugo's version of the fight isn't that bad, but Yunica's is an overtuned asshole that can randomly throw undodgeable combinations of attacks.  It's not worth beating your head against when you have to sit through a long-ass cutscene every attempt.

WHY IS IT LAGGING

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-23 21:42:12

I encountered horrendous lag out of nowhere in a small handful of places.

- About every fourth time I fought Velagunder, when attempting to climb on his back while he's stunned just bogs down for no good reason.

- The Guilty Fire boss on Nightmare, when he drops minions.

- A few key spots in the larger plant rooms in Blighted Blood.

The True Final Boss too, because it involves a shitload of glowing transparencied sprites, and the panoramic background is run through like three different filters that you can't turn off.  I don't count it because I can at least identify why.

• Beat Mission 5 on Awakening. On one hand, Maribelle was struck down. On the other hand, I was feeling lazy and didn't want to restart the whole mission since I was doing so well.

Random musing: I kind of hope the next Xbox is always-online, now that I think about it. Cutting Microsoft out of the game industry would make things a lot simpler in the next generation.

• They're somethin' else.

What the hell is up with video games and armchair feminism these days?

• edited 2013-04-25 00:30:25

@Bee: a few updates on Ys Origin

1. Arthropod boss was indeed epic.

2. I started referring to the floor panels in the construct boss room as piano keys.  The one where he depresses them in a row; I called that move "glissando".

3. The music is less memorable than Oath's, sadly.  Still great though.

4. Spammy flower boss is spammy.  I didn't think of shutting its spam down by hitting its base, though; I should have figured that out.

5. Lots of insect bosses, huh.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Beat Mission 5 on Awakening. On one hand, Maribelle was struck down. On the other hand, I was feeling lazy and didn't want to restart the whole mission since I was doing so well.

Honestly, the best thing to do there is to grab the rescue staff from Side Story 1, pair up Maribelle with Ricken, pair up Lissa with Miriel, then have Ricken and Maribelle hide in a corner. Doesn't make the rest of that chapter any easier, though.