If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

On the bright side, you can save those Rubies for Rathalos Soul Armour (Critical Eye +2, Earplugs, Sharpness, HP -10). I have my Soul set gemmed out to have Critical Eye +3, Fire Res +15 and to remove HP -10. +30 Affinity, immunity to Fireblight and full health is a great thing. 

In other news, Mark Of A Hero is an insanely difficult mission. The first of three monsters has a spammy AoE attack that makes using my usual weapons against it very difficult, and then I have to fight the latter two monsters at the same time. They also deal G-Rank damage. I managed to take out the first monster, but it took most of the mission time. 

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-27 15:34:55

^^^ Portal 2 runs faster on my laptop than Portal 1 did.  It helps that it was actually optimized for multicore, and can run decently even on the really shitty slow-ass processors that laptops all have.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

In other news, Mark Of A Hero is an insanely difficult mission. The first of three monsters has a spammy AoE attack that makes using my usual weapons against it very difficult, and then I have to fight the latter two monsters at the same time. They also deal G-Rank damage. I managed to take out the first monster, but it took most of the mission time.

A lot of people hit a brick wall with that quest. It's purpose is basically to say "get G-rank stuff dumbass", because Alatreon is even more difficult...

• edited 2013-04-27 17:55:13
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Smashed High-Rank Lagi pretty easily with my shiny new Rathalos S armor. Now to kill him a few more times so I can upgrade my High Bolt Axe.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Okay, killed Amphisbaena in La-Mulana. Yay, progress!

That was actually really easy. It had a pretty obvious no-risk spot to stand, and was vulnerable to shurikens.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The other bosses will be pains in the ass.  I can pretty much guarantee that.

Yeah.

I also got to the Temple of the Sun boss. Seems easier than Sakit, but by no means easy.

Are you keeping track of all the clues on paper or notepad or something?  Or just stumbling through the game?  Or following a video walkthrough (like I first did)?

Mostly the former. Did glance at the wiki a bit, but haven't really relied on it much. Probably will have to at some point, though.

You may have to end up doing some map-drawing too.  I know at least one area is explicitly named Labyrinth.

Oh dear.

I'm guessing I don't get a map for that one.

• edited 2013-04-27 22:51:32
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Wait...I don't know, actually.

See, the rooms are pretty big and complex and have multiple parts to each, some of which may be disconnected to or one-way-from each other.

The old map only showed the layout of all the rooms.  Not sure about the new one.

You may need to still draw the connections between the parts of the room.

Also, a word of caution: if you encounter a miniboss whose room gives you a way out, upward, very late in the game: you will need one of this miniboss's abilities in order to get you up there.  Don't kill it until you get the reward from up top.

I just confirmed this from watching a video.

Good to know.

• edited 2013-04-28 02:52:00

I'm playing Papo and Yo, basically Jonze's Where The Wild Things Are only with more child abuse, more bad parenting, and more blatant stand-ins.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-28 04:39:05

Cthulhu Saves the World Insane Mode is...brutal, but fun once you get into the rhythm.  For one, you never run out of encounters, MP regen is almost halved, and XP is cut -- but bosses are hard enough that you usually want to bypass MP regen bonuses for more offense.  So you have to be able to pound through from checkpoint to checkpoint (thankfully, being able to teleport out if you're completely dry helps).  For two, making something insane is generally a really, really bad idea unless you can be positive they'll die before they attack again, or if they're already oneshotting people but can only hit one person at a time.  Bosses are long and grueling with a solid plan ahead of time absolutely required, and usually come down to saving Siren Call to eke out one last turn boosted with insanity and dropping your combo.

To start, the two ooze fight to rescue Umi is strong enough to kill you if you don't use a potion.  It sets the mood for the whole game.

There's this brick wall for the next several areas, and you have to grind a bit before the first sidequest or Sharpe are particularly possible -- you basically need Slow Strike to be able to heal properly, because everything is faster than you without it.  After that though, pretty much anything is doable the moment you hit it as long as you know what you're doing (up to where I am at least -- I just recruited Dacre, and if his level is any indication I'm actually three levels under).

Paws actually winds up being really good, since Umi is more useful as a bruiser instead of a healer, he can make her stupidly powerful if the enemy is under control, and he's a really fast healer that can outpace bosses.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I finally got Antichamber to work properly. Turns out that to rebind the keys you actually have to go into the config file.

Tedious jump/timing sections notwithstanding, it's a pretty good game. Though the graphics look terrible on my laptop for some reason I'm not sure of.

I also got Realm of The Mad God and Super Cratebox off of Steam today. The former is alright, the latter's pretty good, and they were both free so I can't complain too much.

I also downloaded The Other Line but I'm not sure anyone here cares about nikkilikes at all.

• And I guess the other two characters don't make it out alive.  :(

Wait, who's the second?  I only remember one death on Yunica's route.  Unless you're counting one of the villains or something.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Really enjoying Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. Just fought this giant eye with tentacles thing.

I wish Dragon's Dogma was more focused. It does a lot of things really well, but there are also a few critical flaws. For instance, I wouldn't put the combat above "pretty good", which is actually kind of a scathing remark when you consider that the game is based on influences like Monster Hunter, Dark Souls and Devil May Cry -- absolute giants when it comes to the implementation of strong combat systems in video games. 

That said, it's pretty excellent when it comes to traversal and exploration. And for all the bad writing in there (which there is plenty of), there's also some pretty good stuff. Dragon's Dogma is, I'd say, an exceptional effort for an untested, new IP. It doesn't have the immediate, hammer-to-face greatness that Demon's Souls had, but it might one day, if Capcom handle the IP properly. 

• edited 2013-04-29 18:07:18
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!
    I will just say that Dark Arisen fixes quite a few of the problems I had read about in the original, so I'm glad I waited. Some of that bad writing is still a problem, but the story of this new expansion that you learn as you go deeper into the dungeon is really cool. Meeting past arisen and seeing how they all feel about the cycle. It is knd of like Avatar.

It isn't perfect, but it is a step in the right direction. It proves the team listens to player suggestions, and there is serious potential for DD2.

The thng I like is the detail to enemy patterns and weaknesses. There is a lot of it in there unser the surface. Clean up the story and polish and you could have one A+ game.
  • Dragon's Dogma is a great game, yeah. I just wish they'd included co-op. If it had that, I wouldn't need to buy another game for at least a good year.

• edited 2013-04-29 18:37:50
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Just beat this asshole:

http://images.wikia.com/dragonsdogma/images/9/98/Monster_img_30.png

Lost to these assholes:

http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-25/art/ddda-dark-bishop-and-cursed-dragon.jpg

Dragon's Dogma is a great game, yeah. I just wish they'd included co-op. If it had that, I wouldn't need to buy another game for at least a good year.

Co-op would be a neat thing, and it would soften the impact of your pawns doing silly shit when you've got your A gaemface going. That said, I do like the currently existing system wherein you can trade pawns with other players.

One thing I'd like to see "fixed" is the way stat progression works. It makes sense -- if you spend a lot of time playing as a wizard, your magical attributes will increase, as an example. But that can be limiting when it becomes more difficult to level up and you want to switch to a class your stats aren't optimised for, because Dragon's Dogma can be pretty difficult at times. I think it'd be better if your character had a set of "neutral" stats that never came into play, but defined how their relationship with classes worked (for instance, playing as a fighter might be worth 120% of your raw damage stat, but the basic mage might only get 60%). That way, players could use the versatility the game provides without being punished for their previous choices. 

That said, there isn't really any "build" that you can fuck up that makes the game TOO hard, short of like, playing as a Fighter for 199 levels and then switching to Sorcerer. There you are just trying to not optimize :p

• edited 2013-04-29 20:16:28
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

For instance, I wouldn't put the combat above "pretty good", which is actually kind of a scathing remark when you consider that the game is based on influences like Monster Hunter, Dark Souls and Devil May Cry -- absolute giants when it comes to the implementation of strong combat systems in video games. 

That said, it's pretty excellent when it comes to traversal and exploration

This is exactly the opposite of how I'd describe it. I mean, the combat has flaws, but it's still consistently fun for me, but while I don't have any problem with fast travel, traveling needs more to make it...well, not boring.

• edited 2013-04-29 22:06:40
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

It's not so much the process of travelling I was talking about, but the experience of active exploration. Getting from A to B can be pretty tedious, but when it comes to actually using your ingenuity to get to access areas, there's a fair amount you can do. 

The issue with the combat is that it quickly devolves into button mashing. There's not usually a whole lot to think about, and a lot of the combat moves that include traversal have such specific traversal that learning to use them well is an inefficient use of time. Limiting the dodge move to Strider-line classes was also a pretty poor design move, because you end up with situations like the Warrior class, which can't block or dodge -- it can only button mash for attacks. Added to that, the class has three free slots for abilities that it can't use. 

Both fair.

Really, the game as a whole is characterized by major design flaws that turn what should be an amazing game into just a good one.

I think I've said this before, but Dragon's Dogma feels like an early prototype of the best action-RPG ever made.

I get where you're going with that.

The tedium of moving from traversal is lessened greatly in the expansion, depending on how you feel about fast travel.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Just took down my first Brachydios, quite the difficult fight, though not quite as hard as Alex described. I sort of over-estimate the area-denial potential of the slime puddles so I ended up dodging sometimes when I should have been attacking. The real problem was the absolutely devastating enrage mode.