If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Kichigai birthday!!
    I like how people are all like "le Nintendo make le kiddy games :^))" and then Nintendo is like "Bam! Incest" in your face.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

Never really got the whole "kiddy" thing. As we've discussed to death, a whole lot of "mature" games are only superficially suitable for adults, and games that legitimately aim to hold a mature discussion are often derided. 

• edited 2013-04-20 06:08:05
    But you never had any to begin with.

So, Chapter 9. Um, wow. That was unexpected. Also, I continue to hate characters you have to recruit by talking to them, when they're considered enemies. I ended up throwing Kellam just outside Tharja's range, murdering the entire rest of the battlefield, and then talking to her at the end. It was just too risky to throw Chrom into her range otherwise. He'd have slaughtered her.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I wonder if children would appreciate a game like To The Moon.

• No rainbow star
    I plan to learn programming in Year 3 of my college courses (MADT has it as a required course)

The most programming experience I have was a functional battle system made on a TI that was horribly inefficient (But I made sure not a single fucking thing went unresolved, not a single bracket was left open, etc.)
  • But if you're programming in TI-BASIC you have to avoid closing brackets and such.  You have extremely limited memory and you want to make sure you get the most out of it.  And that means not closing brackets before storing data to variables and putting as much stuff on one line as possible and all sorts of other nonsense.

• I wouldn't have played To The Moon when I was little, but I was also the type that couldn't watch Bambi.

I didn't make much sense of Bambi, Alice in Wonderland, The Lion King, The Jungle Book, etc. when I was a kid.

I just beat Oozi: Earth Adventure.

It's okay.  It's a mediocre platformer, basically.  It works, and it's a decent time-waster, but the controls are a bit clunky, the game is a bit tedious, and the music is rather lackluster.

• No rainbow star

^^^^ Like I said, it was grotesquely inefficient

Also, found this: Subbania

Interesting story...

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Far Cry 3 is at $30 on Steam right now, if anyone was interested.

• No rainbow star

And on that note, Portal 2 is only $5 right now

What is the Far Cry series again?

Well, I know nothing about Far Cry 1 or 2, and they don't actually seem to have much connection anyway.

Far Cry 3 is about a jackass American tourist partying with friends in some tropical region, who skydives above the wrong island and ends up getting captured by slavers. He escapes, and gradually loses touch with his humanity as he adapts to jungle survival and guerilla warfare.

• And a spinoff about cyberpunk.  For some reason.

For some reason

My guess: marketing. They wanted to make some weird cyberpunk game as a change of gears, but nobody wanted it unless they claimed it was a Far Cry 3 expansion.

• a little muffled

Given that the first game is about fighting mutants created by a mad scientist, and the second is about being a mercenary in a "realistic" African setting...why not, really?

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

you could say they're far cries from each other

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

^ Glenn could stand to learn a thing or two from this guy.

• You can change. You can.

no

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Alright I fought the Deviljho face-to-face without it getting in the way of other large monsters I have to kill. I buffed up, attacked carefully, conserved healing potions, stunned it with Tinged Meat, and overall doing pretty well. I was giving it a solid pounding and not taking too much damage in return. Then after the 40 minute mark I noticed that it wasn't even limping yet, even though I had been pouring on the damage. At that point I said fuck it and completed the actual quest objective (kill 10 Jaggia).

Deviljho, you are, and will always be, an asshole.

Also I killed a Pink Rathian on the first try, even though it did absurd damage with it's poison tail strikes.

Pink Rathian trips a lot of people up the first time; to be fair, its explosive bite and tail attack virtuosity are pretty brutal. If you can deal with those attacks, though, it's pretty much just a hardcore Rathian with a couple of moves borrowed from Rathalos. 

While High Rank ups the ante immediately, it kind of plateaus for a while, too. Wait until you hit Brachydios and Zinogre, which are monsters I think are designed to introduce you to something closer to G-Rank difficulty. Apart from Barioth, Brachydios is the only monster thus far that can say it carted me multiple times. 

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

From what I hear, Brachydios isn't THAT bad. The only real problem is avoiding slime puddles. Zinogre looks really tough though.

Also, I fought and captured a Plesioth on the first try in less than 15 minutes. I don't know why everyone hates that guy, he's so far the easiest fight in High Rank.

Brachydios is uniquely ferocious when in rage mode, and rather than making puddles, he just straight-up explodes the ground. His attack rate and the AOE of his attacks means he can combo you really, really easily. He's not too bad when in his normal state or exhausted (obviously), but that rage mode is a killer. 

Zinogre hasn't carted me yet, but all the same, he's probably the source of some of my toughest battles. Luckily, you can't fight him until you've fought Brachydios, which means you can make Slime weapons before taking on Zinogre. 

As for Plesioth, it depends on what you're using. His beam punishes slower-moving weapons really heavily, being both quick and unblockable. If you're using something like the hammer, long sword or switch axe, though, its pretty easy to avoid and just about the worst thing he can throw at you. I think he's the only monster that's more difficult to fight on land than under the water, but even then, that's mostly because he's too big to accurately get a read on when you're in his face. 

• edited 2013-04-21 23:29:42
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/19/langdells-edge-trademark-canceled-by-court-order/

The guy who trademarked the name "Edge" and then went and sued everyone who'd named any game ever with a title involving that word got his trademark revoked by the US Patent and Trademark Office.

h/t to onyhow from TV Tropes / Carpe Fulgur forums

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-22 00:26:05

I love how the guy was being such a tremendous jackass that his own publisher celebrated losing the trademark by having a sale.  It's a shame.  The game was actually decent. HAHA DISREGARD THIS IM A MORON

Now if only the same thing would happen to Bethesda and "Scrolls" -_-

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

^ Actually, the there having a sale because the game Edge for mobile devices was constantly being harassed by the jackass. Two Tribes never published any of Edge Game's nonexistent games.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-22 00:26:50

Oh.  Whoops.  Okay then, good on them anyway.

EDIT: Yeah I see it now.  Really should've remembered that clusterfuck.  Derp.  Wait a minute, didn't those guys release, like, one other game?  Racers or something?

• ^^The Bethesda "Scrolls" incident really wasn't anywhere near as stupid as that situation. It was just them going through the motions to protect their trademark.

> fight Zinogre four times
    > get two Zinogre Jaspers
    > fight Azure Ratholos four times
    > get two Rathalos Rubies

I wonder why the game is being so nice to me?

> fighting Azure Rathalos
    > get it down to limping stage
    > it flies to the cave right beside its nest; awesome, it won't be long until it flies to the nest itself, sleeps, and gives me an opportunity for a certain capture. 
    > it tires out, stands in place drooling for a second
    > I run up to it and give it the wimpy punt kick to encourage it to fly away
    > it falls over and begins thrashing like an idiot

WHY IS THE GAME BEING SO NICE TO ME