If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I would probably have some kind of base, and if enough people enjoy it, I could amass some resources to re-release the game, redone in a better platform and with original assets.

• edited 2013-04-18 16:58:03
    a little muffled

@MadassAlex:

Learning a coding language is not a quick or easy process, which I can say with authority as a monstrously shitty coder. Picking up Ruby as a part of using RPG Maker is one thing, and totally cool, but if one wants to devote time to a coding language for the sake of making games, then the aforementioned variations of C are where they want to be.
    Yeah but Ruby is much simpler than C++ or C#, which makes it a better way to learn the fundamentals of programming. The fact that you can do neat things with it in RPG Maker without being an expert coder is also a nice plus, and with the two of them you can put together a solid game, even if you probably won't blow anyone away. On the other hand, if you're learning C++ and doing things "manually", it's likely going to be months before you're even at the level to start working on a game.

(Also C# isn't really a variation of C.)

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-18 17:21:32

Ruby is very simple as far as languages go -- it was designed to be thus after all -- but you'll still want to take a class in C++ to understand the memory and referencing going on behind the scenes.  Programmers who don't grok that stuff are the ones who make pixel RPGs that run slower than AAA action titles and leak memory like a sieve.

Speaking of pixel RPGs, I'm trying out the Score Mode in Breath of Death.  There's a lot of blind luck in a low-level clear with no random encounters, but it's still amusing.  Erik feels absurdly overpowered because he joins the party at level 20, and I reached Motherbound at 11.

• edited 2013-04-18 17:21:44
    a little muffled

I'm not saying that Saturn shouldn't learn C/C++, I just don't think he should start there.

• edited 2013-04-18 17:31:14
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

(Also C# isn't really a variation of C.)

People keep telling me different things concerning this and they're all better at this than me, so I don't really know what to believe.

Anyway, C# goes with XNA so it can be pretty worthwhile. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

ALSO MONSTER HUNTER

So I just fought high rank Barioth and he's quite a piece of work. I forgot how brutal that monster is before you've clipped his wings, especially in rage mode. There were a few times where he fucked me about with stun combos, although I still didn't cart. To make things worse, Lagombi showed up and I hadn't brought any dung bombs. So I decided to wreck Lagombi before finishing Barioth to clear the area of interruptions. 

The quest rewards I got really reinforce the notion that I need to find some good, consistent source of stones or iron ore for bomb casings. I just don't have the economy to make all the tranq bombs I need in order to capture many monsters, so I often end up getting pretty measly rewards at the end of quests. Two break rewards on Barioth for breaking everything that can be broken? Awful. 

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-18 17:37:24

It...depends.  I have to admit I'm sour on the notion of "beginner languages" because the time investment of learning an entire language tends to be too much to justify doing so unless it's one you'll actually use in the future.  About a third of my major was learning languages I'll never see again that could've been spent on more practical ones.

Typically it's a good idea to go ahead and learn one if it actually does something dramatically different but useful.  Web languages are a gimme, and scripting languages like Ruby are good, since they're built with such a dramatically different focus than C-family, so it's by no means going to be bitterly wasted time the way, say, Pascal (C++ minus things that make C++ useful) or Haskell (wildly unintuitive, bass-ackwards typing system you have to constantly subvert to do basic shit that'd take two lines in any other language, almost no practical application in its ideal use) would be.

Still, I feel like the ideal path to learning programming would start with a very carefully railroaded C++ or even cold C with plenty of skeleton code.  You really need to learn issues with memory, referencing, and scoping early on, because it really is that easy to get into bad habits with languages that mask it.  Hell, look at all the Flash programmers that bring beast desktops to their knees because they don't know how to cache or deallocate anything.

• edited 2013-04-18 18:03:40
    a little muffled

Eh, I should admit, I'm more or less still in the "beginner" phase myself, so I'm not necessarily the best one to be taking advice from here. The only language I would say I could probably do anything nontrivial is Python at this point, which is what my first-year CS classes were taught in. (In high school I learned Turing which is 100% a toy language, and "learned" Java in the sense of writing a hell of a lot of public static void main(String[] args) and not much else). I know the basics C, but not much beyond, so I'm not going to claim to be any sort of expert.

That being said, what I learned from that pitiful excuse of a high school Java class is that "here's a bunch of mysterious boilerplate that you have to write to make your code work, but we won't tell you what it means" is frustrating and confusing. Some people are going to take it as a motivation to learn more about the language, possibly beyond what's even taught in the class, as I did, but others are just going to say "fuck it, I'm never going to understand this" and give up. Maybe it's possible to avoid that effect in C++ (likely easier than Java, at any rate) but just looking at Wikipedia's "hello world" example, I can see three or four things that you might not want to explain to someone on their first day of learning to code. The virtue of something like Python (and this applies to Ruby too as far as I can tell) is that you can understand what every line of your program does, right from the start.

People keep telling me different things concerning this and they're all better at this than me, so I don't really know what to believe.
    C# is primarily Microsoft's answer to Java. It does include some C/C++ features that Java doesn't have, but it's not at all a variant of C in the way C++ is.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-18 18:14:31

Yeah, I learned Java my second year.  They provided the mysterious boilerplate for the first few weeks while we learned basic syntax, then extensively explained the boilerplate and made us use it.

That's the main reason I'd say cold C might be a better choice to start in than C++.  It doesn't actually need boilerplate beyond an include or two for basic IO.  That, and it forces you to allocate memory instead of just saying "new X" and hoping everything works out down the line, so you're at least thinking about it when you expand into C++.  All you really need is someone to tell you what a segmentation fault is and how to fflush() so you can be sure when it happens.

Garbage collection languages like Flash and Java are terrible ways to learn good programming because nobody knows the ins an outs of properly dereferencing stuff for collection that early on.

• edited 2013-04-18 18:18:08
    a little muffled

Yeah, I learned Java my second year.  They provided the mysterious boilerplate for the first few weeks while we learned basic syntax, then extensively explained the boilerplate and made us use it.
    Yeah, I'll be doing Java again next year, and since they already taught us basic OO in first year Python, I expect there will be a lot less mysteriousness to go around. (That and half the class will have done the basics in high school too.)

Garbage collection languages like Flash and Java are terrible ways to learn good programming.
    I guess I can respect that view. I haven't worked enough with a non-GC language to be able to say anything useful here. It's possible that next year when I do a C class I'll curse the fact that I wasn't taught this stuff early. Or maybe I'll figure it out okay and laugh at all the people who inevitably can't.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-18 18:33:42

The final exam in my Java course was to write out an entire...something, I forget what.  But it was to extensively handwrite out the entire program from scratch, every single class, all the imports we'd need (from a given list), and all the overhead that went along with it.  It was a lot less scary than it sounds, just because we'd already learned what all of it was, what it did, how to use it for fun and profit, etc.  I'm sure there was some "use this OO design pattern" since that was the class's focus.

As an added bonus, I had to take it early in the prof's office because I was going on a band trip during finals week.

• edited 2013-04-18 19:05:37
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I've gotten to the point in Monster Hunter where High-Rank means High-Fucking-Rank.

I take a quest to kill a Qurupeco thinking it would be an easy to get get Wonderful Beaks. I find and engage it as usual, and it does its "summon other monsters" cry, as usual. I'm thinking it would summon something bothersome but manageable like a Rathian. Then the music turns ominous and behind me is a goddamn Devilijo aka Evil Jo aka one of the most infamous monsters in the game (Yes, I know he appears all the time in HR but I didn't expect him this early into HR). It proceeds to cut off over 1/2 of my HP in one attack, then it tears off the rest of it as I'm desperately throwing Dung Bombs to drive it off. I try again and manage to kill the Qurupeco without the Devilijo completely destroying me.

Then I get the message "4 monsters remaining!"

What. I then check the quest info and realize it's a survival mission that ends if you manage to kill 5 of those dancing fuckers while having a Devilijo summoned on you. I decide to retreat back into the camp and wait out the timer. Then I notice you have to kill at least 2 Qurupecos to successfully complete the quest. At this point there was about 12 minutes on the clock, my stamina was in the tank with no food, I only had a handful of potions, no buff items, and only one life remaining.

I hit "abandon quest" for the very first time.

I have never felt so thoroughly crushed in a video game in a long time.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I feel a bit annoyed at Breath of Death VII / Cthulhu Saves the World.

On one hand, it's great that it's a retro-style JRPG that's getting modern-day attention.

On the other hand, I kinda like the genre more when it's taken seriously.

• There are plenty of serious ones out there.  Silly gags are fine too, and the games are balanced a hell of a lot better than most RPGs bother.

Also utterly kickass music.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Game Maker has had a few more well-known games like Yume Nikki, Eternal Daughter, and I think Tower of Heaven even.

YN was an RPGMaker game and Eternal Daughter was terrible.

Okay, Mega Man: a Day in the Limelight.

And a few other games that have loading schemes.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Risk of Rain would be a better example.

Good, fairly successful, and the developer's first game ever.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Isn't Hotline Miami a Game Maker game?

So is Iji I think.

Really wanted to play Dragon's Dogma a couple months ago, but I found out about Dark Arisen, so I put it off. Well, april came around fast and it comes out in 5 days, so I went ahead and pre-ordered it.

• edited 2013-04-19 07:02:55

About game making, there's this "Let's Play" of some people making a Touhou doujin game. (Click on the links in the description for the other parts.)

• But you never had any to begin with.

Up to Chapter 8 in Awakening, with all 3 current side stories completed (PS. Side Story 3 sucks). Reclassed the Avatar to Myrmidon and along with her S rank Support with Chrom, they're an unstoppable whirlwind of steel death.

• My ears are burning.

I really wanted to S Rank Chrom and My Avatar. Coped out with Sumia because I felt bad for her.

At least I got the accidental nudity supports :p

> accidental nudity supports

what

• edited 2013-04-19 12:58:22
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

So in Awakening, you have My Avatar right, who is important to the story, has a personality, etc. You can make the supports with all the characters, and romance the opposite gender ones? (still bugs me)

The grades for supprts are C, B, A, and S. S means love and marriage. In the B support for the female player character and Chrom, he walks in on her naked. In the A support, she walks in on him Naked.

In the S, Chrom proposes.

Don't they canonically have children?  I suspect that's why it makes sense that the romances are heterosexual.

Yup, and you can also romance the childen, since they come from the future.

Hopefully with a different avatar, right?

RIGHT???

Oh god, please be right.  Japan scares me like this.

Yeah, no, you can't romance your own children.

Like, if you have a male player character, you can romance his daughter from the future, which is pretty funny since you and him are like best friends.