If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know

The art looks wonderful, but the plot doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

guess what I just watched

• edited 2013-04-08 16:06:10

So I decided to watch one of the Anime Mirai things, and I picked Super Veggie Torracman first, simply because of that title.

Spoiler:
    The protagonist didn't overcome her fears by the end,

but that didn't feel like a bad thing.

• I thought Ninninman himself was really annoying, and that kind of prevented me from enjoying it as much as I probably otherwise could have.

While the only special part is when crossing field starts playing (Because it's basically Anison of 2012 not from E7AO), I have to mention that Asuna's English VA is pretty good and if I did not... like, hate this show, I'd probably watch the dub.

• edited 2013-04-09 08:20:30
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Oh yeah lots and lots of spoilers.

Aside from that, I've been thinking a lot about Elena from E7AO lately and her state of mind considering what she went through as a child, but mostly about her and Miller. First of all, the situation in which she acts the most calm and calculating is when all of the other pilots (and at first her as well) are under what could be considered the IFO-pilot version of LSD. Then we come to her and Miller, it's implied that she killed Miller, but as she's portrayed I'm inclined to believe something else happened. Two isolated incidents that she managed to manipulate in order to gain possession of Miller's identity, much like the two isolated incidents that placed her in the position to obtain Elena People's identity.

She seems to have developed a penchant for being under control at most in situations that are surreal (therefore, the disappearance and death of her two new identities present perfect opportunities to obtain new personalities and she takes them, executing them with the utmost skill. This becomes even more evident when we analyze her assimilating Elena's personality, in the end (an end long before the start of the series) she truly is Elena Peoples. Elena is merely a name, something easily adoptable. The name actually becomes a true part of her. The personality she exhibits as such is the true her. This is why in the aforementioned IFO-pilot LSD episode there are only two hers when she looks in the mirror; Elena and Miller (I want to say something about how Miller is a meaningful name, since her band is even called Miller and The Mirrors, but I think that would throw what I'm after off). Miller on the other hand, is a true surreal existence. Before Elena even assumes the identity, she's a rock star working as a double agent on Gen Blue headquarters for the British government. This clashes with Elena's personality... no, her entire being. She's an IFO pilot for Generation Blue with two extremely close friends and an immediate boss who cares deeply for her. The separation between the two identities is so strong that Elena is able to create a Physical Miller (out of IFO-pilot LSD).

So, with all of this laid out, why do I refuse to believe Elena killed Miller? I think she didn't have the guts to. I think (again, in the IFO-pilot LSD episode) it still weighs on her that she didn't have the guts to, which is why she was so resolute in killing the fake Miller. I think the lies she tells to Ivicá immediately afterward aren't just for his benefit, there for hers too, she needs to believe she killed Miller. And then in the end she finally buries her Miller wig and it's completely obvious that she's trying to just make this over. I think Miller is still out there, scared away by Elena (she is an excellent snooper), or maybe she did die exploring the ruins of Generation Blue's huge basements and Elena found the wig. I believe the first option is true, because there was no way, even if Elena had killed her, that she'd have known Miller was a double agent.

(Other things I really wanted to work in include why she shows Miller's wig to Fleur later, but that's for an entirely different reason for any of the above.)

• Kichigai birthday!!
    I was looking around Wikipedia and apparently Knack, the studio behind Chargeman Ken, made some hentai OVAs in their beginnings.

I'm curious and scared.
  • I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

Tried Aku no Hana. While the idea behind rotoscoping it is cool and all the animation quality is just god awful.

Going to try SNK and see how that is.

• edited 2013-04-10 14:01:59
    Has friends besides tanks now

Christ, there's so much going on in the new One Piece chapter. Literally half a dozen different plots for the main characters split up this way and that (one of which is One Piece finally getting a tournament arc! :DDDDDD), and two more groups of characters aside from the apparent arc villain that have a stake in things besides. I can't wait to see how this all comes together. It's going to be the best kind of clusterfuck.

• edited 2013-04-10 14:16:01
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Latest Naruto: Sasuke's Answer.

Spoiler:
    After the chat and stories with the Hokage, mostly Hashirama, Sasuke has decided that he is going to help Naruto and the others defeat Obito and Madara. Basically, Hashirama and Itachi had the same goal and the same ideal, and both died for it. So he will not destroy the village, and will carry on that ideal by helping Naruto. Orochimaru has also decided to help. Sasuke actually APOLOGIZES to Karin, who forgives him and says she loves him. So now, Sasuke, Orochimaru, Juugo, Karin, Suigetsu, Hashirama, Tobirama, Hiruzen, and Minato are all going to help Naruto fight Madara.

• edited 2013-04-10 20:56:54
    Has friends besides tanks now

EDIT: Oh God, someone's already made a 10-hour version of "Katyusha."

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Man, I love that song. I can sing it pretty well, too.

• edited 2013-04-11 04:03:37
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Restarted Liar Game. Probably one of my top 3 manga, the other two being 20th Century Boys and Vinland Saga.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^^ comment on 10 hour video

"after 9 hours of this, I think I've concluded that it involves tanks"

or something of that sort

i want to upvote but i'm too lazy to login to  youtube, so fuck you youtube

• edited 2013-04-11 14:58:46

I'm watching Symphogear again, since I'm trying to pay more attention this time. And I'm using blu-ray instead of broadcast versions, although I hear the differences aren't that big a deal. Pretty much all the music is nice, even the ones without singing. Hibiki is an airhead, but not in a bad way.

The ending sequence still feels like it's advertising a different show. It does not help with the Madoka Magica comparisons. I wonder if there's any significant amount of people who expected something more like Madoka, and got disappointed when it turns out not to be.

Also rewatching My-HiME, this time in Japanese all the way through. Episode 1 is just amazingly attention-grabbing, and episode 2 actually sort of introduces a lot of characters without really telling us anything about them.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Finally finished Nanoha A's. It was a step up from the original in some ways, and a step down in others. Honestly, it started to feel a bit rushed near the end (see: The "battle" with the defense program), but anyway.

One thing that's bugging me though is how Admiral Graham and the Lieze twins got away with planning to freeze an innocent girl for eternity. And apparently that subplot got entirely excised from the movie, which is bizarre in its own way, since it leaves the question of how Hayate managed to survive before the Wolkenritter turned up.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I didn't enjoy A's as much as I did the first season, and it's still something I haven't quite figured out.  A's was my least favorite season; StrikerS my most favorite.

Can any of you help me figure out why A's is my least favorite?

• edited 2013-04-12 17:26:05
    a little muffled

because you're a horrible person

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the meatpuppet thread.

Watching Scrubs while reading Liar Game. Now I'm picturing Dr. Cox going "Newbie, this is the Liar Game. It's a game where you lie."

• That sounds like something Dr. Cox would say.

EVERYTHING IS WRONG

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but nobody is as good as the Japanese cast. Yukiko's voice is supposed to be deeper, and everyone has a huge case of Terrible Japanese Name Pronunciation....

And I'm using blu-ray instead of broadcast versions, although I hear the differences aren't that big a deal.

I'd say that some of the colors they changed (mostly in the shiny sequences) look make it look much nicer (then again the BDs were watched on TV while the TVrips were watched on my computer, which kinda sucks.

Pretty much all the music is nice, even the ones without singing.

That's ELEMENTS GARDEN for ya. I love the tracks that cycle through a lot of stuff (I think the sountrack CDs that come with the BDs can be obtained through perfectly legal means) at once, and then there are the nice simple ones like the Lydian theme and the "Hibiki's doing something slice-of-lifey" song.

The ending sequence still feels like it's advertising a different show.

After I got used to it I rationalized it as the bodies of Valkyries who'd previously died, though I don't know if using Chris made that make sense (despite Ayahi Takagaki being her VA). Maybe they were banking on Madoka fans to some extent.

• edited 2013-04-14 05:01:59

Honestly, I just enjoy Symphogear entirely differently from how I enjoy Madoka. Watching Symphogear feels more like a kid watching a weekend morning action cartoon for me. One with an amazing soundtrack, and a visual style that somehow appeals to me.

But still, "being Valkyrie is suffering" sounds like a nice idea for a different show.

Speaking of Magical Girls, Saban Brands (the Power Rangers people) might be doing something in the genre...with a tentative(?) title of Gangnam Girls.  Not sure which thread this goes to, but the theory is that this has something to do with Precure, especially since Saban doesn't actually make its own cartoons, I think.

• edited 2013-04-14 05:48:08

But still, "being Valkyrie is suffering" sounds like a nice idea for a different show.

I'd say overcoming that entire frame-of-mind is Tsubasa's entire character arc, and while it isn't true it is what happened to Kanade. Though you would say what happened to Kanade is like... more focused on her own attitudes towards becoming a Valkyrie instead of just being one.

Watching Symphogear feels more like a kid watching a weekend morning action cartoon for me.

I guess along these lines I kind of see it as a Toku show? Though not a saturday morning cartoon, cause it doesn't give off that feeling to me. But definitely a Sunday morning Toku series feel.

From IRC:

Saban has licensed something called Gangnam Girls, everybody is afraid it's a terrible Smile Precure dub. I'm more afraid it's a terrible /Suite/ Precure dub D:
    Or it could just be a terrible original series about South Korean girls or something.
    Or it could be like "K-pop group KARA star in this new animated series and also sing all the songs", in which case I have an obligation /not/ to watch it

I'll be happy as long as it isn't Precure and/or a magical girl show with  the BRILLIANT idea that is using Gangnam Style as an OP.

If it is a Smile Precure dub, I wonder how they'll make it even worse than it ended up being. It also occurs to me that I'll be that guy who (wrongly) lectures people on how the dub ruined the show...

I want to not judge it, but the press release starts with:

Who says superheroes are for boys only? Not Saban Brands,

And:

following five teenage girls chosen as magical superheroes to protect the earth and a fantastical land from classic fairytale villains.

Seriously sounds like Smile Precure. But then there's:

center on music and fashion

>Either of those things in Smile Precure

Which brings me to: Pretty Rhythm... Oh gods NO

Though that's entirely dependent on whether the other two Pretty Rhythm shows have magical rainbow land in them.

• Though that's entirely dependent on whether the other two Pretty Rhythm shows have magical rainbow land in them.

Pretty Rhythm is about more or less than five girls, depending on which season. So it wouldn't fit.

Similarly, it sounded like (if we're assuming it's going to be an anime dub) it could be Lilpri because fairy tales and music, but that only has three main characters.

Basically I can't think of any anime series that fits everything mentioned in that press release so for the time being I'll assume it's not an anime dub.

• edited 2013-04-14 16:18:49

Thing is that Saban don't make anything from the ground-up, so to speak, so it would at least be a huge surprise if this is an entirely new show. Then again, Robotech-esque "mashup" dubbing is just unheard of nowadays, so I guess Saban making a new show instead of dubbing is just as likely as the alternative.

I'd say overcoming that entire frame-of-mind is Tsubasa's entire character arc, and while it isn't true it is what happened to Kanade. Though you would say what happened to Kanade is like... more focused on her own attitudes towards becoming a Valkyrie instead of just being one.

Yeah, that's probably the key difference here.

I guess along these lines I kind of see it as a Toku show? Though not a saturday morning cartoon, cause it doesn't give off that feeling to me. But definitely a Sunday morning Toku series feel.

Well, "weekend morning cartoon" was just the best analogy I could come up with. I can't really remember my childhood weekends, and I most definitely had a different weekend morning TV experience than most, if not everybody here anyway. Also, is there any magical girl show that's oddly similar to non-Super Hero Time toku? Like uh, Garo or Metal Heroes (yes, that' Toei, but it's not SHT. Also, I'm counting all the SS and KR that aired in the same block as SHT, not just starting from when they actually used that name)

• edited 2013-04-15 12:01:43

Strike the Blood has been confirmed as airing 'this year'. So either Summer/Fall, please be fall.

I don't think I've really enjoyed a Dengeki Bunko show since Accel World and Hidan no Aria, so I hope Strike the Blood is really good and LN-ey in that way that makes you want to import the LNs and slowly translate them yourself for continuation.

Yes I know I probably should have gotten into Railgun but I was pre-judging it based on how Index and Accelerator were the only memorable parts of Index for me.

• But you never had any to begin with.
    Everyone I know of who has watched both says that Railgun is far better.
  • edited 2013-04-15 12:38:05

Railgun is really good.  Also Railgun S's first episode was by far the best first episode of the season, so that's something.  Though I haven't watched Index and don't really want to, so I can't compare the two.

Also Accelerator is going to be in Railgun S.

^Better than Gargantia?

It's still a 26 episode commitment before I even get into Railgun S and I still haven't started on Figure 17 and Tide Line Blue.

• edited 2013-04-15 16:15:43

Oh right you need to watch Figure 17.  That's more important because I want people to watch Figure 17.

Anyway, I guess Railgun S's first episode is pretty much on the same level as Gargantia and Shingeki no Kyojin and Maou-sama.  But personally I liked Railgun the most of those probably mostly because it's a sequel so I was already invested in it.