If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

HOLY SHIT VINLAND SAGA GOT LICENSED

WHY DID NOBODY INFORM ME OF THIS

• The series is licensed in English by Kodansha Comics USA[15] where the first two volumes will be released into a single hardcover book on October 8, 2013.

Wow that sounds fancy.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Indeed :D

It definitely deserves it; it's currently my favorite manga, with the next two probably being Liar Game and 20th Century Boys.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

they're making a live action film out of Probably-Bomber Grape's Daily Lives of High School Boys.

I would ask fucking why, but that's an invalid question in this medium.

• Speaking of Daily Lives of High School Boys, what are people's thoughts on that series (if it is alright for me to ask)?

• Kichigai birthday!!
    I liked it a lot.
  • Kichigai birthday!!

Well, I'm three episodes away of finishing Chargeman Ken! 

• Oh wow, Nendoroid Tsubasa Kazanari has that delightful "crying/vomitting blood" face. How is it that chibi merch can have more stuff than a show-accurate figure?

• edited 2013-04-21 06:18:13
    There is love everywhere, I already know

You didn't know that? She's been out promo-wise with that face for a while now. I'm mad that there was a Chris Nendoroid announced and i thought I'd at least get to see her black Zettai Ryouiki in figure form even if it wasn't figma but there's been no followup.

Though I understand that maybe a Chris figma would've been a bit high maintenance with her major gun-parts. I just hope we at least get a G version of her.

Speaking of G, I can't wait for the character singles for that, already cleared outmy two Utapri singles space on my shelf next to the stuff from S1 (Which I want to call "Meteor falling, burning, dissapear and then...", but I'll either have to have it on constant Ctrl+V or waste lots of time typing it out).

Also, considering how I've come to feel about ViviPer I'm not sure I should even get an Akane figure, despite Akane being best girl alongside Himawari.

How is it that chibi merch can have more stuff than a show-accurate figure?

Yeah, I've noticed lately that Nendoroids and PVC stills are getting more exposure, publicity and not to mention stuff than figmas. A great example would be the Tari Tari Wakana Nendoroid that comes with a Piano and Water fountain.

• edited 2013-04-21 07:07:11

I almost never actually check out chibi merchandise, since I never really get the appeal of those when the characters in question are not chibi in the actual show/movie/comic/whatever. I only found out after seeing that on the Nendo's box flap at a toy/hobby store. Hibiki's Nendo box highlighted her creepy black face, which is kinda awesome.

Though I understand that maybe a Chris figma would've been a bit high maintenance with her major gun-parts. I just hope we at least get a G version of her.

They might just skip out the huge guns and only include the crossbows, like how Mami didn't have a Tiro Finale. I do wonder why they haven't made that many magical girl figmas with extra large boxes since the Nanoha Strikers characters.

Speaking of other magical girls, Kotobukiya are releasing a chibified Madoka, which is probably a little redundant with the Nenodoroid. Looks like PMMM really is approaching Evangelion levels of insane merchandising, so I'm guessing one day we'll see Revoltech Frauleins, and probably something from Bandai competing with the Figmas. Then again, there hasn't been anything nearly as ridiculous/pointless as mermaid Rei and Asuka.

Yeah, I've noticed lately that Nendoroids and PVC stills are getting more exposure, publicity and not to mention stuff than figmas. A great example would be the Tari Tari Wakana Nendoroid that comes with a Piano and Water fountain.

Well, PVC statues are larger anyway. Maybe Japan just has less market for super-articulated figures. I mean, Figma and S.H. Figuarts only started in 2008, while super-articulated figures have been a thing in the U.S since at least 6 years before that when Marvel Legends started. Yeah, there are other Japanese figure lines like that besides Figma and SHF, but I think ani-statues are still the more common merchandise.

Also: Japanese Fans Picks the Anime Song Performer They Would Like to Hear Sing US National Anthem. May'n at no. 1 spot.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I'll usually check out any and every piece of merchandise if it's for a show I like. Speaking of, the Symphogear Hugging Pillows are really creepy...

That Kotobukiya figure is really nice and yes, Madoka is probably almost Eva now. About mermaid Rei and Asuka, we should probably wait to make sure that those things aren't made Madoka canon in movie 3 before we talk (it could happen...) I wonder if I could cancel my Akane order and manage to get her instead...

True, I guess it's just that I prefer an articulated figure to a still or chibi. Well, chibis are close up there...

About that list: I have nothing to say but yes. Someone make it happen.

Wait Shokotan isn't on it :O, and neither is Tetsuya Kakihara or Hiroshi Kamiya :O

I didn't even know MELL was still singing, I thought their best album this year was a mark of a future filled with no MELL specialty Engrish...

• They're somethin' else.

I've been reading Aku No Hana.

Goddamn. I didn't know Shonen works were allowed to get THAT fucked up XD

• Has friends besides tanks now

See also: Attack on Titan, coincidentally also part of this season.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> I almost never actually check out chibi merchandise, since I never really get the appeal of those when the characters in question are not chibi in the actual show/movie/comic/whatever.

Yeah, same here.

> I thought their best album this year was a mark of a future filled with no MELL specialty Engrish...

I was introduced to MELL via Sky Girls.

Prease come re re here the Sky Girls
    Rising crazy
    Don't worry we are the Sky Girls
    Two one two two

...or something like that.

Official lyrics are thus:

Please call me maiden sky girls,
    Rising crazy?
    Don't worry we are the sky girls,
    ...do want to do?

...yeah, that's not much better.

• edited 2013-04-21 22:52:03

Genei wo Kakeru Taiyo PV. I know it's been up for a while but I can't really tell what's going on, and the character designs confuse me. As in, I imagine action scenes might look awkward with those. Madoka comparisons have already been thrown around somewhat. I guess the fact that Kitamura plays the blue character doesn't help. Maybe they'll make a Figma of her so somebody can amass a little army of Sayaka stand-ins.

Speaking of Kitamura, the Cure Berry costume confuses me. It's a little "frilly", yet the entire stomach is exposed. That's even more clashing than Sayaka's belly button gem. Looks more like somebody butchered a dress rather than an outfit that was originally meant to be worn that way.

• Oh right I was excited for that.

At this point I'm basically expecting it to be generic angsty anime with interesting character designs since I'm not sure if there's any reason to suspect otherwise.  Still, it might be cool.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I'm still pretty excited for Taiyou, but I'm not expecting great things in terms of action scenes ala Madoka or anything. The characters are even more adorable than Madoka's, so that's almost a plus-ish thing. I think I'll probably like it. Also yet another Elena-expy after R;N (this one with long hair), so that's good.

...do want to do?

No it's still 2122 to me

Speaking of Kitamura, the Cure Berry costume confuses me.

I think Berry's outfit, while not the best, looks pretty cool. The least coherent Precure designs for me come from the original YPC5.

Probably my favorite precure costume so far is Cure Beauty's.  I'm not really a huge fan of any of Fresh's costumes (though my favorite there is Passion's).

• The fact that she is not actually a Precure does not in any way change that she is the best Precure.

I've seen precure fanart that gives her a green costume.

Anyway, this is a videogame but I think it's closer to the anime fandom: http://www.japanator.com/the-idolm-ster-shiny-festa-available-in-english-on-ios-28532.phtml

• edited 2013-04-22 12:15:56

My favorite Cure design is either Marine or Pine.

Oooh now I can waste my life on iM@S too!

Yeah, I'm as confused as you all are.

Why is someone writing on a blog about Japan surprised by Japan prices.

Anyways I might buy one. Good show Namco Bandai, good show.

• edited 2013-04-22 12:56:06
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I'm not sure what to say about that.  On one hand, you're rewarding bad pricing; on the other hand, you're at least demonstrating there is demand overseas for the product.

No it's still 2122 to me

damnit fourteenwings why are you so cute when you do this

• edited 2013-04-22 16:57:15

At this point I'm basically expecting it to be generic angsty anime with interesting character designs since I'm not sure if there's any reason to suspect otherwise.  Still, it might be cool.

I guess that's the most one can guess from the PV without a translation. I can't see anything more to expect either.

I think Berry's outfit, while not the best, looks pretty cool. The least coherent Precure designs for me come from the original YPC5.

Eh, exposed skin like that makes me think of the Jim lee Huntress design,* as if somebody just had an "exposed navel quota" they had to fill and butchered a less revealing outfit. There's a way to look good with a bare stomach, but (in Cure Berry's case) that just doesn't look uh, action-y or heroic. Of course, I don't like magical aesthetic in general, which is part of why I adore Symphogear so much.

Why do I like to go on about character design so much?

The fact that she is not actually a Precure does not in any way change that she is the best Precure.

Do Toei/Bandai have an oddly complicated stance on what is or isn't a Precure like they do with Kamen Rider? (see: Tackle never being called a Rider, yet Riotroopers and musical Oni are totally Riders)

I need a "get a room" reaction image now...

*although the comment there about sleeping around doesn't quite apply...

And the exposed-navel design doesn't match her civilian outfits either.

• Do Toei/Bandai have an oddly complicated stance on what is or isn't a Precure like they do with Kamen Rider?

Not really, but Precure do kind of have to be heroes that protect Earth and also whichever magical world is relevant to the current series.  Dark Precure, being a villain all the way through, isn't a Precure for that reason and probably several others, despite her name.

• law of silence

@ iM@S on iOS: Scamco's out of their minds if they think charging that much for a mobile game is a good idea. There are already people complaining. As much as I want to support it I am definitely not buying it.

Also, Aku no Hana and Uta no Prince-sama season one were licensed by Sentai recently.

• edited 2013-04-22 17:51:33
    But you never had any to begin with.

It's interesting, really. People are unwilling to pay prices for games that they'd pay for handheld games, simply because they're on a mobile OS. I mean, Final Fantasy Dimensions is a full fledged Final Fantasy game, but people complain about its $20 price tag.

• edited 2013-04-22 17:08:43
    law of silence

This thread pretty much explains why some people are upset about it. Apparently the translation is also poorly done, according to the ones who have actually bought it. This isn't a step in the right direction for iM@S in the West, imho.

• edited 2013-04-23 02:33:40

Why do I like to go on about character design so much?

Because character designs are cool things.

Speaking of:

In fact, the Symphogear system has 301,655,722 different varieties of locks applied to it.

Yaaay millions of Character Design variations!

It's all part of my secret plan to... something or other.

Not to be a Namco Defendist or anything but iM@S is a series of Rhythm Games about how your characters are cool/moe and sing cool/moe songs, no matter what I think this will be a failure for them financially. I get that the way I like stuff and the way others do differs, but if this was an official translation of an E7AO iOS game I would've gotten it instantly.

Though I wonder how badly the TL is done considering the BD subs I get from Bandai Visual are always really spot on.

Also:

Scamco's out of their minds if they think charging that much for a mobile game is a good idea.

It's a danged full game.

This isn't a step in the right direction for iM@S in the West, imho.

It's the first step and probably the final one if none of the iM@S fans buy this.

Also, Aku no Hana and Uta no Prince-sama season one were licensed by Sentai recently.

Is Sentai trying to corner the idol market or something?

Put the games on PSP.

Yes put it on a system that's already dead in the west.

Dangit people they gave you iM@S, no matter how much it sucks they gave you full iM@S games to their own detriment!

• edited 2013-04-23 07:17:18

So apparently, Figure 17 has music by The Alfee. I'm not really familiar with them, but they sound pretty manly, from what little I've heard.

Suddenly this anime has become so much more appealing for me.

Not really, but Precure do kind of have to be heroes that protect Earth and also whichever magical world is relevant to the current series.  Dark Precure, being a villain all the way through, isn't a Precure for that reason and probably several others, despite her name.

Hmm, Kamen Rider did discuss something like that with Eternal and Core in the Double movies, although at least Eternal is still officially a rider despite not being heroic. I think Ultraman has usually been more consistent as to what counts as an Ultra, except more recently with Ultraman Belial, who is officially an Ultraman, despite being villainous in a very straightforward way. Even Zero sort of insists that Belial is an Ultra. I think Belial counts despite being evil due to his origin/backstory, which I'm guessing is one aspect that Dark Cure doesn't share with actual Cures?

Because character designs are cool things.

That makes sense. Especially since it's important when I consider buying show merchandise and whatever.

Yaaay millions of Character Design variations!

Yet we'll probably never see Eri Kitamura playing one, considering that "being colored blue" is already taken.