If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

^^ While I do not totally loathe Foster's ADR direction, I have heard that his script for Penguindrum strayed pretty far from the original intent... and then was used as the basis for the subs in the Sentai release, rather than giving the thing an actual translation. Which is pretty stupid.

Hence, why I'm crossing my fingers that the UK DVDs have different subtitles.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

So I finished Zetsuen no Tempest and I feel like I'm in the same position as I was with Uta~Kata, there's so much that happened and it was so well done that I wouldn't even know when to start, to be honest.

:O

• edited 2013-04-03 10:06:57

If only that were more than just a commercial for a LN.

EDIT: Oh wait nevermind.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    So yeah Little Witch Academia is pretty great. Nothing we haven't seen before 100 times but it is just sincere and goofy about it all. And the animation. Watching it frame by frame is a special treat.
  • Has friends besides tanks now

^^ The full character shot makes Mitsuki Nase look like Mio. :V

The premise seems okay, and if I hear good things about this I might try to watch it.

• edited 2013-04-04 03:27:33

Been reading the Kazumi spinoff of Madoka Magica and so far the large cast is just confusing. It's hard to remember who each character is, let alone care. Oriko and Different Story at least had the anime cast and fleshed them out a little more somewhat.

The villain in chapter 7/8 was pretty cool, though. Almost a magical girl version of Kamen Rider Double.

I have bizarre reasons for enjoying things, don't I?

Hakkenden : Touhou Hakken Ibun 10-13: Suddenly this show gets really good.

In fact, I'm sort of looking forward to S2 now. The plot has solidified, Shino's wishgranting ability was brought to the forefront, there was little Hamaji and episode 11 was just amazing. I even liked the new characters.

Anyways, I should mention that the plot can be reduced to "An 18 year old boy has to choose between a nice guy and a bad boy, they need to get some beads and of course the church is ambiguously evil."

• But you never had any to begin with.

Quick impressions:

Devil Survivor 2: Seems pretty good. The action scenes are nice, and the use of CG on Dubhe reminds me of the Angels in Rebuild of Evangelion. Hard to get a grasp on the character personalities because they spend most of the episode desperately not exploding, although Hibiki seems to be pretty much your average action protagonist and Daichi is Not-Yosuke. Yasuda is still incapable of drawing breasts that don't defy gravity. Apparently it may be based on the manga instead of the game.

Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince: Not particularly smart, but it's still fun. The main team is impressively dysfunctional for a group that is piloting the latest prototypes. Again, nice action scenes. Not a whole lot to say about this one at present.

• edited 2013-04-05 12:16:46

I think I'd like Devil Survivor more if it didn't have the whole summoning demons/proxy battles thing in it.

However, that's an absolutely ridiculous thing to ask for, considering what it is, so... yeah.

Yeah, the only way you're getting an SMT anime without demon summoning is if they make an anime from Digital Devil Saga. Which is something that is never going to happen.

• edited 2013-04-05 13:19:11
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Are these actual screens from the Aku no Hana anime?

I mean, after what you guys said I thought it'd be pretty cool, if not my thing, but... wow.

Of course it's not that I mind realistic character designs but they should at least be good or passable and frankly radical art-shifts are not really a thing you should do with an adaptation in the first place.

Also isn't Aku no Hana set in middle-school or lower level? Why does everyone look so old!

• edited 2013-04-05 13:59:56
    Has friends besides tanks now

I wouldn't mind that if it wasn't so hugely different from what I've seen in panels from the manga. Then again, maybe none of them are main characters and they're not supposed to be good-looking? Who knows.

Those are indeed main characters.

• edited 2013-04-05 14:12:03

:x

Well, this is interesting. I've been considering reading the manga, but unlike with Attack on Titan, I don't see myself wanting to watch the anime.

• edited 2013-04-05 15:20:14

Wow, realistic art in animation doesn't give a good illusion of depth.

Or something.

• That looks much better than most recent anime I've seen (a bit derpy, but it's to be expected from anime stills)... what's it about, though? it looks slice of lifeish.

• edited 2013-04-05 15:56:19
    But you never had any to begin with.

It actually looks worse in motion. Like the joys of disappearing faces. And the series is a psychological drama/romance which is heavy on the creepy. The good kind.

EDIT: Here, have a gif.

• edited 2013-04-05 16:00:36

Yeah, the manga's pretty fucked up, but I don't know that the animation also needed to be.

• That looks bad.  But Aku no Hana was already pretty much the lowest on my list of stuff I want to watch this season so it's no big loss.

• Kichigai birthday!!

It looks like Trapeze but bad

• edited 2013-04-05 16:52:06
    But you never had any to begin with.

Yes.

UNRELATED EDIT: Also, anyone who hasn't done so needs to watch Little Witch Academia. Like, yesterday. It's only one episode, so.

• edited 2013-04-05 16:49:36

Oh right I still have like five episodes of Jojo to watch.

Also resized non-animated screenshots bug me even though I guess there's no particular reason they should.

• edited 2013-04-06 09:24:04

More about discussions of anime than anime itself but anyway:

Does anybody else ever feel bugged that anime fans aren't all that great at comparisons involving non-anime media? So far the only example of that I can think of is how too few people in Madoka Magica discussions can compare it all that well to Kamen Rider Ryuki. Which is a shame, since the parallels are just too damn obvious, especially considering the combinations of powers/fighting styles and wishes/motivations for a few characters, plus somehow I derive enjoyment from Madoka basically being Ryuki with better pacing, even moreso after reading a few of the spinoff manga.

That seems more likely to be down to the fact that anime has a far larger fanbase than toku.

• Yeah, there's that too, and Ryuki is honestly kinda crappy anyway.

• Does anybody else ever feel bugged that anime fans aren't all that great at comparisons involving non-anime media?

Well, people's reference pools are generally not that great, and usually restricted to their area of interest.

• On the other hand, Army of Darkness is referenced in Aku No Hana.

• So Shigeki No Kyojin is pretty promising.