If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• Has friends besides tanks now

Given the premise, I was kinda figuring it would get dramatic at some point. As long as it's not too lame about it.

• edited 2012-12-20 22:47:08
    There is love everywhere, I already know

JesusxBuhhda Promo-ed. :D

There are no words.

(Will eat my words after I declare my love at the end of the season)

Hey, I didn't! So take that KyoAni!... I guess...

Oh, and Prism "continuing in it's overhyping" has another PV. I'm really tired of whatever this is eventually going to be because there is no way it's going to be as good as the hype. Just give us an airdate already >_>

As for the PV itself; I like the music and the magical girls but whatever they're doing visually in the rock scenes annoys me.

• edited 2012-12-21 01:39:18

I hear it gets worse in the last few episodes when it shifts from comedy to a really predictable romance/drama plot.

The romance/drama stuff is better than the comedy though.  The comedy is predictable and the characters don't really have much synergy and overall it feels very unfocused.  The drama isn't very original either and it's super melodramatic but at least there's a general sense that what's happening is actually happening for some reason and not just... because.

Though I still haven't seen the last two episodes yet, so I'm not going to give a final judgment on the series until I have.  But so far I think that it's certainly watchable and indeed probably at least decent (and if nothing else, it's very good visually, as expected from KyoAni), but I don't think I'd really recommend it to other people, even if they were fans of its genre(s).

Well, I say that but actually my opinion changes frequently and I'm sure when I actually get to watching the rest of it (or if I ever rewatch it for whatever reason) I'll enjoy it more than I act like I do but in any case I'm definitely confident it's nowhere near KyoAni's best work and so it's somewhat disappointing at least in that respect.

Oh, and Prism "continuing in it's overhyping" has another PV.

Even more than most anime, I feel like Prism Nana's PVs are giving me absolutely no meaningful information about the show, so it's actually pretty hard for me to feel excited about it.  So... I dunno.  I'll figure out about it when it actually airs.  I can wait until then.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Zetsuen no Tempest 9&10: I'm not so sure how I feel about this show right now, but I'm sure it's a technically well done show with a good plot. What I am sure of though is that I do not love it.

Three seconds after making Hakaze awesome, she's cut down surprisingly quickly by an unconvincing Samon which annoys me a lot. You're supposed to be Kurisabe clan head, not an idiot! How is high school aged Yoshino more deductive than you?

Mahiro gets crazier and he's past loyalties now, almost solely focused on the goal of making sense of the world (ie. Aika).

Samon is awesome, but he brings with him annoying SHAFT-like animation that plays every time he thinks. I like how boxed in he is right now and how he's acting, but I'm sad that he has to go up against Yoshino, who has the power of complete everythingness as of right now.

Evangeline decides to take down an experienced mage and fails, duh. While she was awesome, I notice that both main female characters that are still alive are losing to their male counterparts (and in Hakaze's case, having to be brought back to her normal self by a teenager who was going to normal school less than two months ago). I hope they fix this.

Finally, please, enough with the Shakespeare, especially when you reveal you're basically copying 40% of your plot from it.

So, quick review before the cour ends:

What I like

• Hakaze and Samon

• The main plot

• Samon's "Hakaze is in the past!" Gambit

• The way magic works

• The clan's inner workings

• Animation and Fight Choreography

• Those eyecatches!

What I don't like

• Yoshino, Mahiro, Aika and Junichirou (I never knew how much you could dislike a character even if he only appeared 3-4 times)

• I must reiterate, freaking Yoshino ever since episode 5

• The ending theme, seriously, I can't wait for the cour to be over so we can get something appropriate

• Samon's mind world place

• Flashbacks, I'm already over "Remember that time Mahiro acted exactly how a character like Mahiro would act but in the past?" and it's only happened twice so far

• The quiet misogynysm

• Bones having Aniplex as their BD licensor again I mean really

So, now I just have to watch the last two episodes and I'll be ready for the second cour in two weeks (Which has been confirmed to be moving out of Eureka Seven AO's timeslot into a nice competition-less prime Saturday slot). I sincerely hope it continues with the Hakaze/Samon side of the plot and quietly murders the Aika plot (Aika's already literally dead anyways). Just tell us who did it already, I beg.

• But you never had any to begin with.

(I never knew how much you could dislike a character even if he only appeared 3-4 times)

Takako from Hanasaku Iroha. :|

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

IJBM: Strong sexual dimorphism in some anime.

Vividred stop it with the false promises of awesome!

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

False promises of awesome? Those are clearly certified promises of cute girls doing stuff like saving the world.

Those are clearly certified promises of cute girls doing stuff like saving the world.

But Magical Girls saving the world is awesome.

I thought the false part was the fact that the (virtual) cameraman can't stop looking at the girls' crotches.

No no no. You see, magical girls saving the world is not awesome, it's their job. Magical girls saving the world in inventive/narratively competent/emotionally engaging ways are awesome.

Good point.

• You can change. You can.
    If you haven't before cried to Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings", you will when you watch that movie.

I just think it's a really manipulative premise and chances are I would cry when I watch it because I'm a sucker for paternal struggles because lol personal life. 

Still not watching it, but I'm happy that shoujo artstyles have gotten 9000% better. Sailor Moon will probably fix that though >_>

Morestu Pirates movie confirmed for 2014. Go Satelight!

Crunchyroll's first simulcast show of the season is... that weird imouto short anime? (Also, please don't let imouto become such a thing where everybody knows what I mean when I say it...)

• Info on the upcoming Dragon Ball movie, if anybody's interested. Apparently Toriyama was involved in some significant way.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

A phase that children (or at least, Japanese children; people of other nationalities go through this, but it's not recognized as a phenomenon) usually go through when they're about 14 (2nd-years in middle school, hence the name of the term) that involves them suddenly thinking they're ~super speshul~ or have ~magical powers~. Often looked back upon with major embarrassment.

I believe in the western world this is known as "getting a tumblr".

It's called playing up your make-believe fiction in socially public demonstrations.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

The Saint Young Men promo looks like it will be fantabulous.

The movie/OVA line up for nest year looks much better than the TV stuff for Winter, this (Garden of Kotonoha)will be a "classical Japanese take on love", sounds intriguing. Plus Shinkai Makoto is directing!

• edited 2012-12-24 09:21:08

Megapost ho! Also, spoilers.

Kyousogiga 2nd Run 5/5: Having never watched the original Kyousogiga short I was a little wary of watching this for fear of being lost, eventually my curiosity won out and I picked up this run.

This was... the best short series I've seen this year. I loved the art direction, the otherworldly sense given by the art alone was amazing.

I like Koto as a protagonist, though only episode 1 is really focused on her (Episode 5 is her origin story, but is focused on her parents and Myoue). Her style is just... something else.

Myoue is great in his focus episode and I like the dynamics he develops in Episode 5, it's heartwarming.

I love how everything ties together in episode 5, and the way it extends on episode 1 is great. I wonder if they are going to continue this, because they really should.

I didn't think Episode 2 fit into the series well, because despite Episode 3 not being exactly connected to the plot in solid terms, it was thematically tied to it (and had crazy tea demon in it, so there :P). Episode 2 was  comedy and focused on a character who, while being important, wasn't relevant to the ongoing story. It was a fun ride though.

Favoraite episodes remain 1, 3 and 5, and I really have to bring up how awesome 5 is again in the way it ties most of the stuff around Koto.

I'm still confused on whether A and Un are Koto's familliars or brothers as the promotional stuff I've read claimed.

Busou Chuugakusei : Basket Army 3/???: While this series doesn't have the most interesting premise in the world, the short format it's presented in is intriguing to me, the heroes so far are awesome and it's obvious that the plot will take child soldiers much more seriously than almost 70% of series treat them.

I'm not too keen on the Megaten esque plastic doll stills, but the actual artstyle is very old GONZO and I like that a lot.

Going back to the short format, as it's not given a lot of time to flesh out dialogue, it'll tend to be very meaningful with the snippets we do hear, as seen in Episode 3. The first and third fit very well into the narrative while the second is backstory for our villains.

The only thing I'm worried about is the schedule for this show, which seems quite erratic. Otherwise I really like it and it's characters as well.

Natsuiro Kiseki OVA 1/1: Finally! A real conclusion to this great series! There isn't really much to say, because this is something you've really just got to see for yourself. It's like the rest of the series, quiet and calm yet poignant. Anyways, go Rinko!

tl;dr I want more Kyousogiga runs! Basket Army needs a tight schedule! I'm content with Natsuiro Kiseki's ending ending!

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

The people behind the art for Kyousogiga also worked on Mononoke and (if I recall correctly) Trapeze, so that probably accounts for something.

So yeah, @fourteenwings, see how I keep on mentioning and thinking about AKB0048 now that I've seen it?

I think this is symptomatic of why I watch anime series so slowly.

• edited 2012-12-24 15:07:49

I'm still confused on whether A and Un are Koto's familliars or brothers as the promotional stuff I've read claimed.

Both.  Doesn't she say that in episode 4?  That she thinks of them as her brothers even though they aren't related to her, or even human?

Also I thought episode 5 was ridiculous, because English-language songs in anime.

But I really probably ought to watch Kyosougiga again, if only because it's really hard to actually remember what happened when I'm watching like one 10 minute episode a month.  But, well... later.

And speaking of long times in between episodes for little payoff, episode 2 of Aoi Sekai no Chuushin De is coming out in a couple days (it's one episode per 3 months).  This show is absolutely awful, so you all owe it to yourselves to watch it.  It's about SANIC running fast and beating up Nintendo.

hey guys is Michiko To Hatchin worth watching

it's apparently like a feminist masterpiece or something but idk, I just wanna know if it's something I could sit through.

• edited 2012-12-26 23:20:46

@GMH: I continue to remind you guys that Eureka Seven AO and Un-Go are things, yet I watch new stuff on a semi-stable schedule.

That she thinks of them as her brothers even though they aren't related to her, or even human?

I got that part, but the promo stuff doesn't mention anything like that. It might've just been a misunderstanding on my part though.

because English-language songs in anime.

Some myths are only seen not held~

Aoi Sekai no Chuushin De

I was going to watch that until I saw the ecchi stuff everywhere. Not to mention I was more interested in it when it was "Weird version of Feudal Japan where people kind of do stuff with magic and whatever!" instead of "Console wars in Feudal Japan!".

hey guys is Michiko To Hatchin worth watching

All I know about that show is that somebody once called it yuri, but it seems very interesting judging by the Wikipedia page.

Girlpan is oddly successful and is inspiring the usual Otaku pilgrimages. I mean, I like (might even love) this show, but nowhere near this level.

Inferno Cop is a series of shorts that I'm no longer interested in due to the... basically everything. I'm no-

Concept Design: Shigeto Koyama

Okay, I'll watch >_>

Okay, that "Illegal Anime" joke was bot extremely funny and totally uncalled for in that "This writer is really angry at people who watch illegal anime" way, but it fits with this shows entire absurdist vibe and I love it. This is the first time I've found slapstick funny in a long time. The ending on the other hand left me more surprised than tickled pink and I don't really like it.

Also, this is the best worst animation ever. Almost contrasting Kyousogiga in both that regard and the level of plot-straightforwardness.

Another problem I have with shorts, neither Kyousogiga or Basket Army have BD release dates yet, if they even get them to begin with >_>

Zetsuen no Tempest 11&12: Building up from the past two episodes these manage to be both engaging and interesting, concept wise. They redeem Yoshino for me, even if it's just a bit and Mahiro a lot.

Hakaze is back and better than ever both literally and as a character.

What we've learned so far about who Aika's killer isn't is good, but I'd like to see something move on that front. Calling it now, Aika is the mage of the Tree of Exodus.

Junichirou is still annoying, but I love the rest of the Kurisabe clan.

Towards the end of the cour everything got very real, but it was the good, gradual kind of escalation. Can't wait for the next, though I have to admit that even though this cour ends with a very big cliffhanger I wouldn't have minded if the entire show ended here for some reason. It just felt... oddly right, despite absolutely no questions being answered I was content.

Busou Chuugakusei : Basket Army 4: Dissapointing.

That's it really, the episode starts off with the promise of a little insight into one of our main female characters and then settles into "Love love romance the 94th" as soon as she's told by one of her friends that one of the guys likes her.

I guess it could be read as child solders still having that innocence at the start of their journey, but there was promise of something else here, and the way it was done did not distinguish it from any generic anime romance plot. Even more annoyingly, it just ends there without any resolution, no explanation on why she's having a recurring dream where she's shot down by a big man and why the cicada is relevant, just... stupid generic anime romance.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I know I'm backtracking a bit, but Hellsing X came out? I'm not finding an torrents even for raws.

• It probably just hasn't been ripped yet.  Remember, the one guy who used to upload like every anime BD got arrested.  It'll probably be up eventually though.

Arrested? Wow.

One of the cool things about having a frakkin hueg family is that you can get $5 BestBuy gift cards from everyone in it and still get something awesome.

I come here today with an example. My first and more than likely last otaku purchase ever.

I regret nothing.

#yolo