If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

No, but acting in a morally-clear manner certainly does make your task much more difficult.

Right, but the point is that the success of your mission is never truly at risk because of Dragon Age's format as a AAA game. Not to mention that a lot of the "bad guy" options are still quite petty. BioWare seemed to have learned their lesson somewhat in Mass Effect and Dragon Age 2 onwards, with "good" and "evil" replaced by different problem solving methodologies, but Dragon Age itself really seems to have come from the old philosophy of morality in games -- that is, choice for choice's sake, irrespective of context.

I started playing Dishonored

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- while Dishonoured is a decent enough game, I really don't get the hubbub surrounding it except that I know it got a pretty widespread marketing campaign. It's not a terrible game or anything, but the degree to which it's overrated on multiple levels leaves me really confused. It seems that the developers pulled quite the caper with this one.

• edited 2012-12-26 18:54:42
    If that don't work, use more gun.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^Original AAA IPs are hard to find lately.

• Which Ys game?

Origin.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-12-26 22:40:59
    I've been enjoying Arkham City since I got it for Christmas. May have been well after most of you were buzzing about it, but hey, better late than never.

The stealth sections stand out the most. Standard combat is great, but nothing beats scaring the living crap out of criminals and seeing their sanity dwindle as their numbers do. There's a bit of a "reverse survival horror" element to those particular sections, in that you're the monster and the enemies are the ones who're scared shitless.
  • Fuck you, Needle Man. Trying to beat him with just the Buster. I now see why he has an E-Tank in his stage.

• They're somethin' else.

I love how his character design is fat and bulky as shit, and he's called Needle Man.

Fuck that guy.

• Needle Man: the bane of perfect runners.

Anyway, I'm just before the Silent Sands boss in Ys Origin.  I get the feeling the Arthropod was the major ballbuster fight in this game, since I either beat or came very close to beating the next three on the first try and completely demolished them on the second.

The Silent Sands boss took me a few tries, although I suppose you're right about Arthropod being the toughest in context of its placement. Once you've beaten the Silent Sands boss, though, I expect you'll have defeated every troublesome boss short of the last one. From that point on, the bosses are still very well-designed but seem to be intentionally easier. Probably for dramatic effect. 

• Champion of the Whales

I've been enjoying Arkham City since I got it for Christmas. May have been well after most of you were buzzing about it, but hey, better late than never.

The stealth sections stand out the most. Standard combat is great, but nothing beats scaring the living crap out of criminals and seeing their sanity dwindle as their numbers do. There's a bit of a "reverse survival horror" element to those particular sections, in that you're the monster and the enemies are the ones who're scared shitless.

The Stealth sections get more interesting the further you get into the game.

• edited 2012-12-27 16:28:40

Obviously.

(edit: Silly GMH, deleting your post and all)

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

damnit.avi

Okay, fine.  I asked whether Needle Man was from Mega Man 3.  I realized, upon some re-reading, that that was a dumb question, and used my privileged capacity as a mod to delete my own post.

Then I got caught in the act.

• Pfft. . Ok, that sounded hilarious.
  • Kichigai birthday!!

It's even more ebin because it was DYRE who called you out on it

Now I want to delete Dyre's post, just for shits and giggles. 

• edited 2012-12-27 16:59:01
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I BLAME IT ON DYRE BY ALLEGING HE SITS AROUND HIS COMPUTER WITH HIS FINGER ON THE F5 KEY ALL THE DAMN TIME

^^ The heck does "ebin" actually mean anyway?

• Kichigai birthday!!

It comes from 4chan's /b/ "epin", a mixture of epic and win, but spurdified

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-12-27 17:20:33

So yeah, the Silent Sands boss wasn't that bad.  I died the first time on account of my pet bird sitting on my keyboard, whoring for neck scratches, and blocking my view of my active skill and boost bar, and the second was a relatively clean kill.

I'd like to reiterate that even if they're not the hardest things ever, these are some of the most amazingly fun bosses I've ever fought.  Like, seriously.  This might be the first time I'm looking forward to beating my head against something on the hardest difficulty.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> spurdified

i like this word

Uh-oh! I think I just made a major mistake in Analogue, albeit one cleverly designed into the game:

When the reactor melts down, you have to reduce systems until they only use 20% of the power or less and then switch to a secondary battery. To keep up the necessary systems for retaining a communications connection, it requires 13% of the power -- failing to keep these systems active is an automatic game failure. There are also two AIs, however, and each one requires its own core to function, and each core takes up 5%. That brings the total up to 23%, exceeding the capacity of the systems.

However, in a panic and not wishing to take risks, I stored two AIs on the same core. This is perfectly feasible, but only allows one AI to be activated. The other stays stored in the core, but may not be accessed from it. The thing is, I now realise that the better option would have been to store them separately and then switch them out as I need different AIs. So now I think I'm stuck with only one AI active and the other in a power-limitation-induced coma.

So, for anyone who's played the game, is there a way around this or have I saddled myself with one AI for the rest of the run?

• edited 2012-12-27 18:06:44
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

@Alex: That's how they lock you into a route, you're stuck with them until the ending.

There IS a way around this, if the achievements are any indication, I've never figured it out though.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

What you did is part of the process of getting the harem ending

Ah. So it's a logic puzzle, then. 

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

When I finally play Virtue's Last Reward, which I really want to play more than any game ever right now, I will probably make a thread about it so I can talk about it with the other members who have played the series.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Holy crap! A weapon is just floating in space!

Best. FTL jump. Ever.

• Scribblenauts Unlimited is pretty great. Probably the best part is going through half the game in knight armor riding a miniature fuzzy flying T-Rex while holding a comically over-sized sword.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    it only took me 5 years but i finally finished halo 3
  • You can change. You can.

was it everything you ever wished for and more

Also, I bought Condemned because I'm really fond of the sequel and decided I should play the first one just to see what I was missing on. But I'm stuck and the game doesn't seem to be able to explain properly what I should do next. >_<

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-12-28 20:09:44

Ys Origin done with Hugo.

Looking back, I think this is the first game I've played in years where I loved every single boss fight, though Hugo's shield may be a WEE bit overpowered.

Also, the moment the credits finished I got like 5 achievements at the same time.

• edited 2012-12-28 20:13:57
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I find achievements in games like the Ys games to be rather silly and pointless.  Amusing, but pointless.