If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• a little muffled

My Civ campaign ended with my Roman Empire being sacked by the Germans. I can't say it's not appropriate, but I don't think that's supposed to happen when the Roman Empire still consists of only two cities and hasn't even got legions yet...

• Just beat Hotline Miami.

I am genuinely annoyed that the true ending explained everything and made sense. What the hell Cactus? I expect pointless fuckery that explains nothing in your games.

• edited 2012-12-30 18:46:20
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The game XIII will be removed from GOG's catalogue at the end of the year.

Someone suspects this may be due to a company called Anuman Interactive, for some reason.  (Last post of first page of that thread.)  I don't know anything else.

But yeah, if you want that game, get it now, for US$2.99, from GOG.

• edited 2012-12-31 14:04:53

• Can someone explain to me why people constantly bitch about Blocks That Matter not having rewind or checkpoints?  There were a grand total of two levels in that game that actually tried particularly hard to kill you, one of them was one screen long, and the other was a bonus.

Seriously, the platforming there is like the most basic thing ever.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well it IS a puzzle platformer, and there are some that require a rather large number of steps to be completed in the right sequence.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-12-31 16:50:27

Well yes, but you can easily take almost all of them back if necessary.  I mean, the places you have to clear an 8-row are pretty obvious and don't have a lot of room for choice, and it's exceedingly rare you have to place blocks you can't pick back up.

That game makes me crazy trying to optimize the number of blocks I can leave a level with.

• You can change. You can.

@Stormtroper: That is glorious. I never thought I'd want a wuxia megaman game

but i do now

Holy shit that video is EPIC WIN.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-12-31 19:28:49

So I went through FTL, and my first jump was to a distress beacon that gave me a weapons ignition augment.  Before leaving the first sector, someone else gave me an ion bomb.  In sector two I got a second burst laser.

I proceeded to blitz the shit out of the whole game.

• Anyone here played Hotline Miami?

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-01-01 04:44:36

Up to Arthropod on Yunica Nightmare.  I was kind of pleased with myself that I almost got him on the first try thanks to all the personal time we spent together previous, despite being what I presume is under level because he killed me in three hits.

Ys Origin's Nightmare seems to run into the same problem as Torment difficulty in Avernum.  The damage you deal and take isn't linear compared to enemy stats, and seems to have a direct modifier from the discrepancy between your level and theirs, which inflates with difficulty.  So when you're even a tiny bit under level, you're doing half damage and taking 2-3 times as much.  When I was having trouble with Epona, I walked outside the room and ground up two levels -- suddenly I was taking nowhere near the damage I was before, and ended the fight a minute and a half quicker to boot.

While it does have the advantage of actually scaling the bosses' moves in a mechanical sense and making the fight feel different as well, and the grinding doesn't take long at all, there's still this nagging feeling that you're supposed to read the developer's mind on how much you're supposed to do so to have a legitimate shot, because when the stats make numbers blow up that much it's not all about skill anymore.

• You can change. You can.

Yo Alex

what is your steam thing

• Poot dispenser here

Played Thirty Flights Of Loving.

All I can say: wow.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Yo Alex

what is your steam thing

My current username is Trollhoffer. 

But the actual account name is napalm_and_friends.

Anyone who wants to add me may do so. 

• edited 2013-01-01 09:12:14
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Mhmmmmmmphmm - what accent do the elves speak in English-language Witcher games? I mean, I could try to look it up, but I can ask here as well, and certainly I wouldn't recognize it in youtube vids. Given the fact their language is a mash-up of British English, Gaelic, Welsh, and whatever sounds cool, I'd expect something Celtic.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I'm stuck on Lain's Horrible Adventure for like the third time.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ On recommendation, I played the first Witcher with Polish voices and English subs, because apparently the voice acting is quite atrocious for that one in English. This very definitely doesn't apply to the second game, where the English voice acting becomes exceptionally good.

That said, the elves don't speak in a particularly interesting way. Iorveth's voice is the one I remember off hand, and he has a hard-bitten version of a South English accent. If I had to make up a character to transmit his voice into, that character would be a well-born but dirty-handed mercenary knight -- well-spoken, but with a nasally quality that would sound particularly hostile from behind the visor of a helmet. 

• Champion of the Whales

So I went through FTL, and my first jump was to a distress beacon that gave me a weapons ignition augment.  Before leaving the first sector, someone else gave me an ion bomb.  In sector two I got a second burst laser.

I proceeded to blitz the shit out of the whole game.

You lucky ducky.

Extra Credits commentary about non-combat gaming

some commentary about out-of-the-box game mechanics

Ys Origin's Nightmare seems to run into the same problem as Torment difficulty in Avernum.  The damage you deal and take isn't linear compared to enemy stats, and seems to have a direct modifier from the discrepancy between your level and theirs, which inflates with difficulty.  So when you're even a tiny bit under level, you're doing half damage and taking 2-3 times as much.

This might also be the case in Ys: the Oath in Felghana, which would explain why I was suddenly doing so much better against the second boss after a level-up and an equipment upgrade.

This might also be the case in the Sailor Moon RPG Another Story.

@Unknown_Entity is streaming Super Mario 64 right now, here: http://www.livestream.com/unknownentity634

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Fuck yeah, nostalgia.

Super Mario 64 was the first game I ever played :D

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-01-01 21:16:37

Anyone who's familiar with Spacechem and hasn't already seen this on SA needs to watch it:

This tournament blew my fucking mind.

• edited 2013-01-01 21:22:03

UE will be back shortly

in the meantime, please enjoy this short film, courtesy of the BBC

And now he's streaming Pokemon XD.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

>Pokemon XD

Poor him.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Whenever I see that title, I think the person saying it is amused about whatever they're saying.

• edited 2013-01-02 00:58:06

Whenever I see that title, I understand that it's an actual title, but I still like to think of the person saying it as amused by whatever they're saying.

• Just got a Wii U with my Christmas money earlier today.

Nintendo land is fun. One of the best local multiplayer games I've played in a long, long time.