If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• Speaking of bland protagonists I have a sudden urge to make a thread complaining about melodramatically loser/idiotic protagonists and examples of how to make a protagonist flawed without making him excrement unfit to grind under a boot.

Should Charlatan do this? y/n

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

We've had multiple of those threads already.

• Oh. :X Didn't know that.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I am looking forward to Senran Kagura, because I like the games, and I'm easily wiled by fanservice and ninjas.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Who's FictionJunction ASUKA?

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

No clue, I'm sorry(?) to say.

About to start Kemonozume. Wish me luck!

• edited 2012-12-19 01:05:35
    There is love everywhere, I already know

FictionJunction ASUKA

FictionJunction is Yuki Kajiura's pop unit that continuously cycles artists (So it's a lot of FictionJunction X). They also perfomed the opening theme for .hack//ROOTS, considered to be the most bearable thing about that show.

• edited 2012-12-19 02:16:44
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Oh, you meant that as a good thing.

Well...I don't know about FictionJunction, but I did hear Kajiura's group See-Saw in their OP and ED to .hack//SIGN, and I was not impressed.

On the other hand, I am very impressed with savage genius.  SG has a very strong "vividness" to their songs.

Kajiura's style is more "distant", in a mystical or atmospheric sort of way.  But I think vividness works better for OPs and EDs in general, which are supposed to work as bookends that let me immerse myself in a show by connecting me to its central themes (narratively and possibly also musically) and then let me reflect on the things that I've seen in the episode just watched.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I think OP and ED feel should depend on the show. I don't believe vividness instantly works better than non-vividness (especially for EDs).

I think .hack//SIGNs OP and ED fit well, unlike a show like Zetsuen no Tempest, which has, as I've detailed before, completely lost it's sanity and faith in humanity, yet has this (ignore the ad...) for an ED. .hack//SIGN's ED being a savage genius song wouldn't have worked.

• edited 2012-12-19 06:51:22
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

So, the latest Naruto chapter was released today. (Don't read on if you don't want spoilers, as per most of my posts on media.)

It's... quite possibly the best chapter in this entire arc. The death of Shikaku and Inoichi last chapter was harsh, but they weren't very developed characters. Neji, however, was a very beloved character, and one with a lot of promise.

Plus, the manner of his death- protecting Naruto and Hinata- was so fitting.

It's brought his character arc full circle, and finally completed his story. He's gone from the arrogant genius he was way back in the Chuunin Exam Arc, to someone willing to sacrifice his life to save Hinata.

And I think it's that that drove home the fact that there's a very real chance that Kishimoto may have actually just permanently killed off Neji. He has essentially come full circle, like his father before him; he has had to live with the Seal marking him as a member of the Branch Family for so long, and he was bitter and resentful for it. However, at the end, just like his father, he overcame that hatred, and sacrificed himself for the closest person to them (Hiashi for Hizashi, and Hinata for Neji).

The mirroring between Sasuke and Neji is done; the mirroring between Hizashi and Neji is done; his themes have been played through. His story is done. Much like Jiraiya, he's reached the final page, and made it a fitting one.

Plus, this page. This page.

Now, excuse me as I go cry. ;_;

• I don't know about FictionJunction, but I did hear Kajiura's group See-Saw in their OP and ED to .hack//SIGN, and I was not impressed.

.hack//Sign's OP is gloomy and low key because .hack//SIGN is a low key and gloomy show.

I like Kajuira, she's really good at what she does... of course, as far as I've seen, she does roughly one thing, but damn, is it good.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!
    Neji ;_;
  • edited 2012-12-19 12:22:03

Speaking of bland protagonists I have a sudden urge to make a thread complaining about melodramatically loser/idiotic protagonists and examples of how to make a protagonist flawed without making him excrement unfit to grind under a boot.

We've had multiple of those threads already.

Can somebody point me to one, or at least give me a specific title? (of those threads, I mean)

• edited 2012-12-19 12:21:17
    There is love everywhere, I already know

The Hellsing OVA series is apparently not over yet... despite Funi's recent release.

Man OVA series can be slow -coughGundamUnicorncough-

As for the PV itself... I'd honestly sit through all of -monogatari before I sat through hellsing, because you're guaranteed to get at least a small amount of fun out of -monogatari. It feels like a really bad MegaTen (original Light Novel) adaptation.

Looks like it's still a decent horror show, but I think Another was enough for this year for me and I haven't seen the previous episodes anyway.

Also, the artstyle still sucks a lot.

The PV also makes me think of this song for some reason.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I'd honestly sit through all of -monogatari before I sat through hellsing

what the hell dude

what the

just

goddamn

With -monogatari i'm guranteed moe and funny scenes. Hellsing only promises death, despair and depression. I can't even handle those d's Zetsuen no Tempest sized amounts.

Hellsing has plenty of humour, not to mention it's self-aware enough to mock its own ridiculousness. This is a show where the Knights of the Round Table use Count Dracula to fight Nazis and the Roman Inquisition. 

AAAYYYYY-MEHN. 

This is a show where the Knights of the Round Table use Count Dracula to fight Nazis and the Roman Inquisition.

I could see that being used in a totally deadpan way from what I saw in the PV. Maybe it is self-aware (I'm not sure anybody can take that mass of eye man seriously) and funny, but I'm betting it's a 1:300 ratio of funny-depressing.

• Man OVA series can be slow -coughGundamUnicorncough-

The Giant Robo OVA was slower. The seventh episode came out about 5-and-a-half years after the first.

^^ As someone who's seen the currently translated OVAs, TV series and read the manga (albeit ages ago), I can tell you very confidently that it's far from a depressing show for the most part. It's kind of deadpan, but it also makes it clear that it invites you to mock it. 

Kind of like when I do the knight schtick. 

I might give it a try sometime then. Still has that artstyle though...

I mean, it may well not be to your liking. But I can tell you that it's not very sombre for an anime that spends a fair bit of time on vampire-driven hyperviolence. 

I'm not watching foomonogatari nor Van Helsing anytime soon.

imokaywiththis.jpg

Van Helsing

I think you may have your franchises and characters mixed up.  

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Hellsing is about Joji Nakata being A vampire. Van Helsing is about Hugh Jackman being totally not a belmont.

Oops I meant Hellsing.

I always regretted Van Helsing's reception. It was by no means a masterpiece of a movie, but for the most part, it seemed to know that and revelled in its Hammer Horror cheese. But it was kind of before its time, given the amount of ridiculous fairy tale retellings in cinemas these days, and both audiences and critics seemed to take it more seriously than intended. 

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

It was a fun romp of a movie, I give it that.

• edited 2012-12-19 14:50:23
    Has friends besides tanks now

So, the latest Naruto chapter was released today. (Don't read on if you don't want spoilers, as per most of my posts on media.)

It's... quite possibly the best chapter in this entire arc.

I honestly couldn't bring myself to care. It's just been so long since he was relevant that the genius stuff lost its meaning, for me (especially since I've seen people speculating that there'll be some Mass Resurrection BS again). Loved Tobi's line at the end, though. What a dick.

• edited 2012-12-19 15:05:30

This is a show where the Knights of the Round Table use Count Dracula to fight Nazis and the Roman Inquisition.

If only it worked like that.

I tried to watch the movie Первый отряд (First Squad) the other day.  It's an anime co-produced by Studio 4°C and the Russian company Molot Entertainment Film.  It is about a Russian secret agent ESPer girl with a katana in WW2 who has to command a squad of ghosts to defeat Nazi wizards who are trying to revive a 700-year old knight.

And it sucked. ;_;