If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Who Would Win General Discussion

Comments

• Definitely not gay.

No, I mean Chaos from Final Fantasy.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

In that case, there's a lot more incomparable factors. I mean, one metric might be determining what each villain was defeated by and making a comparison. Is Link as powerful or moreso than four FF1 characters? Maybe. Then again, Chaos was essentially defeated for good and Gannondorf has been defeated about a dozen times without actually dying. But Gannondorf is defeated by children most of the time. But Chaos has a limited amount of magic he can expend (I think?). 

Hm. 

• edited 2012-12-17 10:10:20
    But you never had any to begin with.

Nope. Chaos has infinite magic, like every other FF boss. Including a full health heal spell.

• Definitely not gay.

I think that they're reasonably tied in this situation. Chaos does have a slight advantage, but we also need to consider that Ganondorf can only be killed by the Master Sword or light arrows.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    Metroid vs Halo

Metroid, on the basis of immediate emotional reaction. It's kind of like who would win out of King Arthur and Hercules. I mean, alright, there's a debate to be had there, but King Arthur is so much more central to my understanding of culture, social context, narrative and virtue that it feels kind of wrong not to make an immediate decision. 

The Halo games aren't bad by any stretch and are exceptionally good when it comes to virtual throwdowns with your friends, but I don't feel as though they hold the same kind of general relevance as Metroid. Perhaps accidentally, perhaps not, Metroid has become a subtly progressive voice over its years barring Other M, with its depiction of a transhumanist woman who can't let go of her desire for motherhood. I feel that's kind of powerful -- as much as Samus is a hard-bitten bounty hunter with a score to settle, she can't let go of her potential to bear new life, if only as a fantasy. 

This can be taken a few different ways. One could condemn it for enforcing the theme of motherhood as a primary means of expressing female agency. Once could see it as an indirect celebration of positive sexuality. Once could loop it around and tie it in a knot and look at it a whole bunch of different ways. What never changes, though, is that Metroid is unique and minimalist in its handling of not only a female character, but usually a solitary human character in an alien environment. I'm not a woman by physicality or identification, so the concept of actually being the core provisional entity responsible for new life will always be somewhat distant to me, but there's a sort of universal optimism in holding true to any kind of desire or goal that sinks to the bone despite impossible circumstance. 

While the desire to give birth is almost uniquely feminine, the desire to be a source of care and love and to have those things in return in a vast endless space isn't. And I think that's what makes Metroid unique -- it's a game in which we are very truly alone in an environment that is almost entirely hostile and cares nothing for us, where just a tiny spark of human compassion or assistance would make all the difference. Thinking along these lines, Metroid could be taken as a metaphor for any state of excessive separation from the wider human social and cultural context.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    No dude I meant like Metroid and Halo the ROBOTS not the gaems XD

(Okay, Samus vs Master Chief)

Oh okay.

Samus, for blowing up space dragons. 

• The Security Officer from Marathon vs. Robocop.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Alice Cooper Vs. Rob Zombie.

• You can change. You can.

^ He can outrun death. Faster than light is nothing.

But but but Wally actually outran the Black Racer (Who is death. On skis)

• No rainbow star
    On the Pokemon thing:

Pokeballs are power limitors. It's explicitly why Cyrus uses the Red Chains instead of the Master Ball he gave you

So it likely greatly limits the power of these legendaries such as Palkia

Not to mention that these kids stop criminal organizations which proves them pretty adept

Also, Black and White (and possibly Black 2 and White 2) have 15 year old protagonists. These protagonists also happen to be the strongest ones yet

On top of that, Arceus' power doesn't seem to get limited at all (according to some, it's implied that Arceus DESTROYS and then RECREATES the universe in order to make a new God Pokemon. Not sure I'd go THAT far, but he does show immense power), so he's more likely going, "I exist beyond time and space. You amuse me, Mortal. I'll let you capture and use one of my avatars in battle. Not like your life is anything but a blink of my eye to me"
  • Reimu Hakurei versus Takamachi Nanoha.

TWO LOLIS ENTER. ONE LOLI LEAVES they both have tea

• edited 2012-12-18 19:09:49

Reimu being the main character and therefore unbeatable is pretty much explicitly one of her powers, so it's reasonable that she should win.  And all Nanoha can do is shoot lasers and fly, which is basically what any ordinary toehoe can do.

So basically Reimu wins and then they both become friends and save Gensokyo's space-time continuum together.

Nanoha still wins in my heart though.

• Asura vs. Kratos.
  • Asura.

This is like Goku Vs Hercules, come on. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Kratos, because Sue Power.

• You can change. You can.

Asura vs. Kratos.

squirrel girl

• Kratos, because Sue Power.

Asura has plenty of that too.

Asura, since Buddhist spirit cycles provide immortality whereas Greek gods are mortal when it comes to fighting. 

A Claymore (manga/anime) vs. a Witcher (literature/gaming)

• On one hand, you have Kratos, who uses his anger to fuel divine blessings that make him unbeatable.

On the other, Asura doesn't have any of that, he's just that goddamn pissed.

On one hand, Kratos has many weapons, giving him variety.

On the other, Asura is well adept in using his bare hands, legs, and even his face in battle.

On one hand Kratos wallows in his own anger and misery, unable and unwilling to stop.

On the other, Asura actually has restraint.
  • edited 2012-12-18 22:41:16
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^It's been years since I've read any of Claymore, but...IIRC, Claymores are more superhuman than Witchers are.

On some basis. What we can't really tell concerns their respective reaction times, sensory attunement and so on. Which might well count for more than the capacity to fly-jump in the case of a superhuman sword throwdown. 

• No rainbow star
    Link vs Cloud on a flat plain

Assume OoT Link with all upgrades and items, in his Green Tunic. He is using the Mirror Shield and the Master Sword (I don't see the Biggoron Sword helping him at all. Non magical, so the Buster Blade would probably snap it in half, and Link would need the ability to block in that fight anyways)

Really don't like the reasoning that Death Battles YouTube show used (THE GOLDEN GAUNTLETS DO NOT WORK LIKE THAT! And you do NOT mix and match Link's items! Each Link is a unique incarnation! It's like taking Modern Superman, throwing in Silver Age's super breath, and so on! YOU JUST DON'T DO THAT!)

The Biggorron Sword would rock in that fight. Against a slab of iron that large, a shield wouldn't do a whole lot, but Link is agile and might even outdistance Cloud with his sword alone. 

Plus, the Biggorron Sword (barring a few strange design factors) is more or less a proficiently-constructed sword, whereas the Buster Sword is more like a slab of steel with an edge. Link will probably be fighting more quickly, with a little more distance and greater versatility. A lot of Cloud's abilities (such as his Limit Break) only really make sense in a turn-based vidya context, too. The kind of agility and aggression represented in those moves is standard fare in general 3D Zelda gameplay. 

And frankly, as much as 3D Zeldas (or, well all Zelda games) have been inaccurate to swordplay as a series of systems, Link's attacks are really efficient and diverse for a video game character. He doesn't cover himself by morphing from guard to guard, nor does he use all the angles of attack available to a swordsman -- but what he does do, he does with reasonable proficiency. In the time it takes for Cloud to fill his ATB bar and pull off a weapon-inclusive swan dive, Link has probably done him in. 

• Kichigai birthday!!

Sweet JP vs Captain Falcon. Racing of course

• Assuming they're on their own rides, then probably captain falcon (spaceship vs really fast car is usually not a fair match), but if they're in similar vehicles, and JP is actually trying to win, I'd give it to him... if only on account that the entirety of Redline is devoted to how awesome he is at driving, while most information on Captain Falcon is about how awesome he is at punching.

• edited 2012-12-20 01:56:39
    No rainbow star

Donkey Kong vs King Kong

Assume they are scaled to the same size

• I'm a damn twisted person

Fallingwater vs the Robie House. 

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Icalasari, if they are both made normal sized, one is just a regular gorrila. The other one has hammers and guns.