If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2012-10-22 13:01:57
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Technolyze

Technolyze might actually be worse that Paranoia Agent, PA has something to say, Technolyze is torturing characters for the hell of it.

yet acceptable to conservatives

Never mind, the thread is pretty much just weird for no reason.

My Recommendation: Precure Precure Precure Precure Digimon Precure

Well, Highschool of the Dead's author seems to be pretty hard-right. It would be good to have a better idea of precisely what you're looking for, though.

XDDDDD

Why is he looking for any sort of fiscally conservative media in the first place, does media even need to bother?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

why that recommendation?

• edited 2012-10-22 13:04:42

It was a very anti-women's rights show.

Again, why any fiscally conservative media? Why not just read like, non-fiction, why do the card games, giant mecha and magical girls need to be fiscally conservative?

Well [C] could be considered fiscally conservative, but I can't imagine watching an episode and going "Oh man! He's playing so freaking fiscally conservative right now! Man, THIS is exactly what I want from fiction!"

• But you never had any to begin with.

My Recommendation: Precure Precure Precure Precure Digimon Precure

The dubstep anime?

• Has friends besides tanks now

Which was the anti-women's rights show?

• edited 2012-10-22 13:08:19
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think the problem is that so-called conservatives in the United States feel increasingly that the world is going to hell around them and they know the only way out and they want narratives that affirm their narrative.

And wait, Precure is anti-women's-rights?  Or do you mean HSotD?  Or Digimon?

Funny thing is that in my post there I actually "recommended" Precure.  With heavy quotation marks.

• edited 2012-10-22 13:12:13

The dubstep anime?

Is there dubstep anime, because there needs to be if there isn't.

I mean, cute girls being dubstep DJs couldn't be too hard to sell, right?

Which was the anti-women's rights show?

Highschool of the you're a woman so you can't save the universe without my approval as I touch your ridiculously huge boobs without your consent.

Precure is anti-women's-rights

Precure is teenage girls beating the life out of monsters of their own accord with moves even the best real life fighters would be jealous of, it's impossible for it to be anti-women's rights.

• Has friends besides tanks now

I thought you were referring to that. The direction of the conversation was just hard to follow.

• edited 2012-10-22 13:22:17
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Yeah.  For a moment there I was wondering why you were saying  Precure was so-to-speak conservative.  Or Digimon.

• As far as conservative anime is concerned, I would say that Robotech: The Macross Saga is incredibly right wing. As it demonstrates and almost 1950s ethos that women belong in the home doing their housekeeping and getting constantly objectified by their macho boyfriends/husbands are expected to join the army and fight an invading alien race with deliberately Eastern European accents, it's almost a Reagan wet dream with mechas.

Technolyze might actually be worse that Paranoia Agent, PA has something to say, Technolyze is torturing characters for the hell of it.

While I agree that Technolyze is excessively violent towards its characters, I think it's a necessary plot device which helps to drive home the concept of a society so addicted robotic prosthesis that the conscience and emotional consequence of dismemberment is rendered almost entirely moot. This also goes towards creating the resource shortage, which is in essence the cause of all conflict and subjugation within the series. Thus i wouldn't dismiss the series as worse than paranoia agent, but then again it always comes down to personal taste and how close attention is applied to the content material. 

• a little muffled

As far as conservative anime is concerned, I would say that Robotech: The Macross Saga is incredibly right wing. As it demonstrates and almost 1950s ethos that women belong in the home doing their housekeeping and getting constantly objectified by their macho boyfriends/husbands are expected to join the army and fight an invading alien race with deliberately Eastern European accents, it's almost a Reagan wet dream with mechas.
    I never watched Robotech, but I have to say I never got that impression from the original Macross. I mean one of the main characters is a female military officer after all.

• I never watched Robotech, but I have to say I never got that impression from the original Macross. I mean one of the main characters is a female military officer after all.

Yes there are females in the military but they are generally portrayed as being too independent or uptight to be desirable for dating and all the women with the most successful relationships are stay at home quasi-airheads. This is all disregarding the episode they held a miss macross pageant in the middle of a space warzone to "boost morale." Also almost all of the solutions to the most dangerous threats are provided by male characters. so basically I'm saying that the conservatism portrayed in the series is defined by the clear sexist division of roles in society according to gender.

• a little muffled

Yes there are females in the military but they are generally portrayed as being too independent or uptight to be desirable for dating and all the women with the most successful relationships are stay at home quasi-airheads.
    but hikaru picks hayate in the end

or did that not happen in robotech

This is all disregarding the episode they held a miss macross pageant in the middle of a space warzone to "boost morale."
    Eh, there was lots of stuff like that, they've got a bunch of bored civilians on board after all.

Anyway I hardly think it's some paragon of progressive gender portrayals or something, just not as bad as you suggest.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

I've been considering watching Texhnolyze (yes, that's the proper spelling...) for a while now, but I'm not sure if I'm in the mood. I have an extremely high threshold for darkness (assuming that it is well-executed), so that's not a problem*, and I adore Chiaki Konaka's writing; it's just that I don't think I'm ready to go into a series like that right now.

My mother was talking about checking out Last Exile from the library relatively recently, but there's been a kerfuffle with outstanding fees, so I don't know what's happening there. It strikes me as more than worthy, though.

Speaking of Konaka, though, I really would like to see RahXephon. Maybe I'll dive into that next.

(* Does anyone remember me mentioning this? Seriously, it's practically a running joke among my friends that I revel in the misery of others. While not strictly true—I do enjoy happy endings when they fit and light comedy when I need it—I really enjoy depressing and disturbing things much more than a lot of people here seem to...)

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

P.S. Did anyone else here think that the suicide club episode of Paranoia Agent was adorable? Because it was.

It sounds kind of wrong, doesn't it...?

• I admit that the the sexism isn't that bad and is somewhat lessened by the amount of cheese they associate with  it.
    I'm just holding this series up as an example of being as about as conservative as anime gets to my knowledge 

• You can change. You can.

RahXephon is definetly a must-watch.

• @JHM: I think we'll get along pretty well considering my cynical nature means i rather enjoy edgy and dark  media.
    And if you get/are interested in manga I have a metric ton of dark and explicitly gory manga to recommend

• a little muffled

@Gaijin0:

I'm just holding this series up as an example of being as about as conservative as anime gets to my knowledge
    Keep in mind that it is a couple decades old.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

P.S. Did anyone else here think that the suicide club episode of Paranoia Agent was adorable? Because it was.

It was! The great thing about PA is that it actually captures the situations that people face (Well, mostly in modern Japan) and presents them realistically. The way the characters feel is the way the episode feels. The happiness and excitement of the little girl, the melancholy of the old man and then both the old man and the big guy's nervousness around a little girl who wants to commit suicide... with their help.

On the other hand there probably is something wrong with us.

So what about military women in Nanoha?

• I'm a damn twisted person

Trying to read any political bias into Nanoha beyond pandering to otaku and yuri shippers is like trying to write a thesis on time travel in Doctor Who. You could do it, but it would ruin the work and a few people would probably die along the way. 

I think they can be revived with TSAB technology.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

One could give the poor bastard a lead on Angel Cop...

• edited 2012-10-23 05:10:46

^ probably a smart move by Sony considering that their usually profitable gaming division posted a loss of approximately $45 million recently 

smart move

They can't really expect too much from such a niche market, but they'll make a respectable profit if they're good.

Now somebody re-release Angelic Layer already.

• edited 2012-10-24 01:02:49

Doublepost to look at the numbers for Japanese BD sales.

Freaking Natsuyuki Rendezvous is charting in the top ten. I wasn't expecting this until next year when the BD Box set came out (Since it was josei, which is the same market as j-dramas, which just do an initial BD Box set but don't be fooled, they also cost anime prices).

As for the rest, Yuri comedy and black comedy, so summer was the season of comedies (Where is Binbougami ga? ;_;).

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Binbougami Ga! is a clever show, did you think it had a chance of being successful?

I did actually. It was funny beyond belief, it had fanservice for all the oppai Otaku, it was referential in an appropriate manner unlike what I saw of Nyarlko, it had Kana Hanazawa as lead, it had one of the greatest comedy duos and ensemble casts of the year, maybe even the decade. Nadeshiko was just killer as a whole! So yeah, I thought it had a pretty good chance. Though the 5 BD only release instead of the usual 6-8 and the pricepoint (about 2000 yen less than usual) should have tipped me off.

Blast of Tempest 3; Great episode, I like the explanation on magic and they way it was integrated into the fight. Felt like a good tutorial, not an info dump like it could have been.

Mahiro continues to be crazy and I like that, especially since the show isn't taking itself to any length to make him seem sane, In fact it's acknowledged it. Yoshino shows his the ingenuity and analytical skills and has piqued Hakaze's interest. Speaking of, I like Hakaze a lot, she is a real leader and despite being stuck on an island might as well be the true heroine of the show.

I like the developments they've given us with Aika, both involving the Kurisabe clan and Yoshino. Noticeably, Fraulein was only in a snatch of the episode so there isn't much to say.

Seems like this is the closing of it's first arc, with new developments as Mahiro and Yoshino get out of the city and the hole in the mountain (wherever it is).

The one thing I don't like is the almost unnoticeable music. Aside from the one violin piece that plays whenever were on the border of mystery and solution, it's pretty unremarkable.