If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

ITT: IJBM designs a Pokèmon game!

Comments

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

What file format are the tilesets in?

• No rainbow star

Never was able to figure that out

I can swap Pokemon sprites in and out simply enough. The tiles... Have yet to figure out how to do that. It's possible, but the tool I found is so convoluted in that regard that it's gah...

• edited 2012-10-19 23:41:38
    Loser

Nova,

I am thinking that this Pokemon could be more like Snorlax, though. Perhaps give it Gluttony as an ability, rather than Truant or Slow Start, to represent the panda's enormous appetite?

Gluttony works for me. Some other grass ability could fit too, I think.

Icalasari,

Werechop

Were Pokemon

Dark/Fighting

Basically a stylized werewolf. Large claws, dark grey fur. On hind legs, with a large tail. Muscular, black highlights on its body. Human feet. Ponytail on its head, tied back, and wolf ears. Stands in a martial arts position. Longish fur hangs from its snout like a Scottish Terrier. Basically a martial artist that isn't above using cheap tricks if need be for survival, but in a proper battle will fight honourably - unless commanded to fight dirty by its trainer, of course. 100% male (so in a way it's a cross between Gallade, Zoroark, and Scrafty)

You should probably take these comments with a heaping of salt, but your idea seems like it would work to me. I guess adding more distinctive quirks like the fur hanging down from its snout might make it even better. Maybe you could give it more martial arts stuff like a headband or belt or something if that makes sense.

The only other thing I was thinking about with it was whether having a Pokemon with human feet might be a bit odd. It does seem to make sense in context, especially if you want to imply that the Pokemon was a human at one point, though it still might be something to think about.

Have you thought at all about moves or abilities?

• No rainbow star

LouieW: The human feet part is to 1) differentiate it from Zoroark a bit more, and 2) to show the wereness a bit more

Moves would probably be fighting type moves for the most part, with a couple dark moves like Faint Attack. More of a physically offensive Pokemon. If I can convince everybody else, then probably a fighting type recover as well. If we can pull it off, it would heal only 33% UNLESS the Pokemon gets hit by a super effective attack, at which point it blocks the attack (Protect) and uses the energy from it to heal himself by 66%

• Has friends besides tanks now

at which point it blocks the attack (Protect) and uses the energy from it to heal himself by 66%

I was okay with all this until that hypothetical.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Wait, how would a Werewolf Pokèmon even work? If it has human feet, would it be a former human?

• Has friends besides tanks now

Hmm. That would be kinda cool, but really weird at the same time. I didn't object to the human feet part (though, really, we could give it shoe-like feet, rather than human toes and everything) because I felt like there was something closer to humans, but now that I think about it more, nothing's quite that close.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

but really weird at the same time

Yeah, the idea kind of creeps me out, even though I guess some Ghost Pokèmon already are.

• No rainbow star

...Yamask is explicitly stated to be human souls

Zoroark can mimic a human so well that you have no idea they are human, and for all you know your trainer could end up dating a Zoroark or even BE one

And I like shoe like feet better, great suggestion. Something like what the Legendary Musketeers did

• edited 2012-10-20 01:12:07
    Has friends besides tanks now

Now that I think about shoes, I'm personally imagining this being a parkour martial artist werewolf, doing backflips over things while on the hunt for little to no reason except that it's full of pent up energy from the day, or something. Might be silly, but I think it's a cool idea. -shrug-

Also, as to the comment on the healing move, I feel like the obvious solution would be to give it moves like Moonlight and Lunar Dance at mid-high levels: a stronger werewolf would probably be able to strengthen its connection to the moon, and work magical healing powers, and stuff. Like, it would always be martially proficient, but I could see it taking on shamanistic aspects later on, a la the venerated mentor/sensei figure in martial arts stories.

• No rainbow star

^ Well, this is why I'm posting it now instead of in the portfolio :P

• edited 2012-10-20 06:52:30
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I would like to inform you all that I am basing a Pokemon off of this .gif.

Why? Because I can

• No rainbow star

Oculyre

Vampiric Pokemon

Psychic/Dark

Basically a large pair of wings attached to a stylized eyeball. The eye has a sort of cloak attached to it, and a paper thin tail that leads to a large hand (kind of like the wall/floor/whatever masters from Wind Waker). It uses this hand to grab prey and stare at them, feeding on psychic energy

• No rainbow star

Feels kind of like this project is dying...

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I'm waiting 'til Wednesday. =V

• Joke idea: Pumbloom.

• No rainbow star

^ Joke Idea: A kangaroo clown that consumes your soul as you sleep

• I'm a damn twisted person

Hrm, I kinda want to give this werewolf pokemon a rivalry thing (think Durant/Heatmore or Zangoose/Seviper) with a fighting/electric type that wields a two pronged fork and wears a mask and oh shit Matt Wagner is in my house kicking my ass.

• edited 2012-10-22 00:40:12
    Has friends besides tanks now

Hmm. I kinda want to formally submit ideas for the werewolf pokemon now, but I know Icalasari has his ideas and submitted a hypothetical first. What I was thinking was taking the idea for a highly energetic werewolf, and a shamanistic werewolf, and having them be two evolutionary branches, with the former being Dark/Fighting, and the latter Dark/Psychic, or something.

And at this point I'm at . . . four ideas, partly because everyone else seems to have snakes and octopi covered.

• No rainbow star

^^ and ^ - Feel free to submit your ideas for counters/evolutions/rivalries/whatever for the werewolf. The vampire is my rivalry idea, but of course there is a chance that vampy won't make it

• If that don't work, use more gun.

Oh yeah, another thing. For the love of god, HAVE A SKIPPABLE TUTORIAL! I'm annoyed at how much 5th gen feels the need to handhold you. One of the reasons I hated BW. Among several others.

• No rainbow star
    Why the fuck would we even include a tutorial in this? I'd assume only seasoned Pokemon fans would play this

And you'd love B2W2. Huge chunks of the tutorial are skippable
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^Relax, we'll keep tutorials short and sweet with the option to say "no" as the default.

Also, it's been a while but what part of B/W was hand-holdy? More so than other games at least.

• edited 2012-10-22 04:51:21
    If that don't work, use more gun.

The fact that it had more tutorials? The fact that the motherfucking stupid plot kept getting shoved in your goddamn face and railroading you like crazy!? And they keep explaining shit that you should know is incredibly obvious at that point? And they feel the need to baby you, like telling you about type matchups, which you could easily figure out for yourself.

And you'd love B2W2. Huge chunks of the tutorial are skippable

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You didn't actually play the game, did you? No, some parts ARE skippable, but the rest of it isn't. The beginning of the game is a complete and utter SLOG! But thou must questions are in full force, plus, they feel the need to explain shit to you, even though you can just find out for yourself. I'm basing this on what my friend let me play for the record, which was like the first 30 minutes of the game. I'll get White 2 for the gameplay, but I wish they would just throw out the stupid plot. It just gets in the way of the game.

Speaking of which, try not to have too much railroading, exposition, crap like that. Don't make it so that the story gets in the way of the gameplay.

So, are you just that angry about everything, or is it only games not being hardcore enough for you?

• edited 2012-10-22 04:44:10
    If that don't work, use more gun.

Nah. That's just what happens when I list off what I don't like about a game. Also BW had terrible dialogue (and B2W2 seems to be continuing that trend) no thanks to the horrendous localization. Seriously, people don't talk like that in real life!

I actually thought B/W was much better in the localization department than some of the other games (Lava Cookie!), but whatever.

I don't like the tutorials too, and think there should be difficulty levels available from the start, but, I'm just saying, not worth getting that mad over, man. Don't hurt yourself. :| 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

But thou must questions are in full force, plus, they feel the need to explain shit to you, even though you can just find out for yourself.

(Beyond the whole "The game is for frickin' kids man" thing) It's exactly that type of thought that led to games like Dark Souls having terrible tutorials that ended up making the whole game worse because it didn't teach you how to play it.

Yeah, I mean I do think you should be able to say "No" and be heeded in the tutorials, but my little brother also plays White. So...yeah.

• Definitely not gay.

The fact that the motherfucking stupid plot kept getting shoved in your goddamn face and railroading you like crazy!?

I dunno, that didn't seem very new. I mean yeah it was there, but weren't the RSE games (at least) just as bad about plot as BW was?

(and B2W2 seems to be continuing that trend)

I disagree. I think that the dialogue was handled much better than in BW. Of course I haven't got to Green-Haired Freak yet, so I'm not entirely sure.

The beginning of the game is a complete and utter SLOG! But thou must questions are in full force, plus, they feel the need to explain shit to you, even though you can just find out for yourself.

As someone who has played the game, I agree with this wholeheartedly. W2 changes nothing about the forced tutorials. 

Yeah, I mean I do think you should be able to say "No" and be heeded in the tutorials, but my little brother also plays White.

If your brother skips the tutorial and winds up fumbling about the game with no idea what to do, isn't it kind of his fault? I mean it's not cool that some people will wind up not knowing how to play the game , but it's better than forcing everybody else to continuously relearn the game even if they know what they're doing.

Also shouldn't you be at least partly to blame if you skip the tutorial?