If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

ITT: IJBM designs a Pokèmon game!

Comments

• edited 2012-10-22 11:15:21
    Has friends besides tanks now

Whoa, there, Marioguy, that's kind of a lot of rage over a kids' game.

With that said, I feel like something that would go a long way towards making the tutorial stuff bearable is: when you tell an NPC that you already know about something, don't make them tell you what it is anyway; leave yes/no options in where applicable, and more than in the regular games, if necessary, so that a player will get where they want to be if they just answer NPCs honestly. Plus, in the event that a kid who's new to the series finds our game, his honesty in not knowing what's going on means he'll still learn what he wants to know.

Also, I certainly hope we can write better dialogue than we got in BW. Some of the stuff they were saying was very clunky.

• edited 2012-10-22 11:41:06
    If that don't work, use more gun.

I dunno, that didn't seem very new. I mean yeah it was there, but weren't the RSE games (at least) just as bad about plot as BW was?

Actually, RSE apparently had the opposite problem of BW. It was more plot heavy than other games, but it didn't really railroad you. Rather, it left you to your own devices. Apparently this led to some people getting lost and stuck.

Also, I certainly hope we can write better dialogue than we got in BW. Some of the stuff they were saying was very clunky.

Yeah, it sounded very stilted and awkward. Like you would not hear people talking like that in real life. Case in point

"Welcome! The director of the Nacrene Museum and the Nacrene Gym's Leader is me! Lenora! Well then, challenger, I'm going to research how you battle with the Pokémon you've so lovingly raised!"

Yeah... Though they started doing localization in house starting HGSS. Though I'm sure you guys actually have a grasp on the English language and how people actually talk.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Which is not to say that plenty of native, untranslated authors don't suck at dialogue.

• No rainbow star
    I can see people saying that whole dim witted spiel due to being flustered
  • I'm a damn twisted person
    ... I didn't know people actually payed attention to the text in Pokemon games. This is all new to me. I thought most folks were in them to catch monsters and just went into skim mode.
  • If that don't work, use more gun.
    I usually don't either, but the dialogue in BW stuck out like a sore thumb to me.
  • edited 2012-10-22 13:30:16
    No rainbow star
    I pay attention to it =/
  • No rainbow star
    Oh, I guess I should share the GBA tools I have on my laptop so we are all using the same stuff
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I pay attention to it because if I don't, it always tells me where to go and I miss it.
  • No rainbow star
    I pay attention because I find the story interesting
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I found the stories interesting (for what they were) in the first, second and fourth generations. Can't comment on third or B2W2 because I haven't finished them, but BW's story was just terrible.

The previous generations' stories worked because the story in a Pokèmon game exists to be a driving force behind going to cool places and catching cool Pokèmon, and those stories were about Pokèmon. BW's story accomplishes the same goal, sort of, but it isn't about Pokèmon. It's about some creepy guy with green hair who is super special and makes you go on a date with him.

• No rainbow star
    Well, BW's is good at the start, with the whole challenging the whole damn thing the series is based on

And I'd consider B2W2 the second half of BW, so...
  • Definitely not gay.

It's about some creepy guy with green hair who is super special and makes you go on a date with him.

BUT INUH

YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO YOUR POKEMON'S VOICE

SHOW ME YOUR POKEMON 

I WANT TO HEAR ITS VOICE

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-10-22 21:26:14

"PIKA-PIKAPIKA-PIKACHU! PI-PIKACHU! PIKA-PI!"

• Definitely not gay.

OH

YOUR POKEMON

IT SAYS SUCH THINGS

• If that don't work, use more gun.

Uh, maybe we should take this to the Pokemon thread.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I want to come up with the perfect Platypus pokemon.

• edited 2012-10-23 02:37:58
    No rainbow star

^ ...YES! THAT'S WHAT MY STEEL/POISON TYPE WILL BE!

Platoxic

Metal Platypus Pokemon

A Platypus with a metal coating on it (could evolve from a Water/Poison type that is evolved with a Metal Coat (yes Metal Coat can be made to act like an evolution stone)?) that has three large spikes coming from the back of its head, level-ish with the bill, and a small spike where each burr would be. Will still look adorable somehow

Its ability, if we can script it in (shouldn't be too hard to get this ability in) could be called Submersible, and make it resistant to water (since it's a platypus). Otherwise... Uh... Poison Point I guess?

Only male Platypuses are poisonous

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

yes Metal Coat can be made to act like an evolution stone

I recall that one B/W romhack doing it. So probably.

• No rainbow star

^^ ...All but Magikarp, Feebas (I think...), Ditto, and a couple others can't learn Toxic

The females in this case are also poisonous >:|

Oh, and I should mention. The game will need writers, and I could be just that. I am a (self-proclaimed, hopefully soon to be professional) writer, plus I'm played probably since I started playing Pokemon over 1000 hours of it.

I just think it would be weird to have a female poisonous Platypus. Since those doesn't exist.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

We're allowed Artistic License, this is Pokemon after all.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The game will need writers

Just about everyone in the project can write.

My job requires me to be able to write to a professional degree, in both formal and informal settings.

I think we have writers covered.

Well excuse me princess
  • Definitely not gay.

I just think it would be weird to have a female poisonous Platypus. Since those doesn't exist.

neither do fire-breathing turtles and lamp ghosts

but those are still pokemon

• So...

should I put my Pistol Shrimp Pokemon under the portfolio now?

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Oh yeah Pokefolio.

I have most of my ideas hammered out, I just need to

y'know

write them down.

Also we're pretty good on writers, I think. I know I previously volunteered to write dialog if anyone needs any, but I don't know if anyone does. 

• edited 2012-10-23 16:45:45
    No rainbow star
    I plan to put up my portfolio after work. 6 families are in it, and I plan to also add that killer tree and a three stage Pumpkin line that ends in a Ghost/Grass type
  • edited 2012-10-23 17:41:54
    Has friends besides tanks now

I only have five ideas so far. How would we feel if I can't just force out three more ideas? Because they might just not come.

EDIT: Hey, question: Did anyone already have any ideas for a slug pokemon? I just had the half-thought of a Ground/Grass slug. Don't know why.