If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

ITT: IJBM designs a Pokèmon game!

Comments

• edited 2012-10-18 12:08:43
    Has friends besides tanks now

Well, in the sense of really detailing them. What we did yesterday was fine, but when we decide what we need in the game, it would be nice to have a unified opinion on what's too little and too much in terms of gameplay variance, as well as flavor variance. If I may indulge in some wordplay: it would be bad if we had too many birds and octopuses, but it would also be bad if we had too many bats and turtles.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Oh, okay.

• Has friends besides tanks now

And that's why it's good that the portfolios are for next week: we can figure out some gameplay stuff to help us decide how the Pokemon would best fit.

• edited 2012-10-18 12:17:47
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

(speaking of Nova, she shouldn't be so hard on herself; that was perfectly coherent. She should get some sleep, though)

i don't even know what i said though

it's like, words

i just wrote about how i write stories and i don't think that's really applicable as much because game mechanics are different to prose. however it's even more different in our case because we already have the base programming, including stats, damage formulas, and all that sort of thing, so we already have the framing support we need for the project.

so, basically, i was saying that we already have much of the basics we need- what we are doing currently is creating the skin that covers itt, and then we are going to look underneath and see how the skin fits with it, and we will alter what we have to better fit with it, and manipulate the code where possible.

i do think that it would be better if we got gen 3's base engine to work with it, though, and just introduced things like the physical/special split. we don't need triple battles and all that sort of thing, that would be complicated to code, and we don't really need the 3D-esque textures from the later games.

basically, i think that we should continue doing what we're doing, and coming up with the pokemon and the plot first, before we focus on game mechanics, because game mechanics can afford to come later when we have a pre-defined system to work with.

and hahaha it's quarter past three in the morning sorry for my stupidness.

do the opposite of everything i just said and you'll do fine.

• No rainbow star
    To be fair, I did warn that the B/W engine has very few tools for editing it, and would require people who can get right in its programming to do anything substantial

More complex we get, the more I'd recommend Gen III as it's the easiest engine to deal with (hell, people have figured out how to increase its memory, make plots that depend on choice, all sorts of stuff. Hell, I think I saw in one tool that you can make an attack physical or special, independent from type)
  • I'm a damn twisted person

If we can get that physical/special split tool, then no reason not to use the Gen 3 engine.

• You could try using RPG Maker.  There's a Pokemon game engine made for RPG Maker XP that seems to support at least a decent approximation of most important Pokemon features, and it'd be easier to add extra stuff to it as needed since learning Ruby is considerably easier than learning to hack GBA games.

Gen III seems pretty good. /dunno shit about programming so I'll take y'all's word for it

• edited 2012-10-18 17:27:54
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I dunno, if y'all think we can pull of using the B/W engine, go ahead, I'm just not sure any of us are that good with that kind of thing. I'm sure as hell not.

But whatever, I'm just here to write dialog and come up with gym leaders anyway.

Speaking of which I have one, is it too early to submit that? 

• edited 2012-10-18 17:59:25
    Has friends besides tanks now

I dunno. With plot seemingly mostly detailed (unless we want to use this time to get specific?), I would think either a more detailed geography or gameplay expectations would come next. Basically, we still need some of the general stuff out of the way. With that said, if we start working on geography, Gym Leaders might be a good thing to detail.

On that note, I'm probably going to try to remember more than one of my Gym Leader ideas, now that that's mentioned. And rework them, considering they were made for Pokemon Tabletop Adventures and were . . . kinda not all E for Everyone, as a result.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I call dibs on either Fighting or Ice.

And I, Flying.
    Let's go with Gen III. BW is better, but we can probably make a better gen III game.
    Normal for me.
  • edited 2012-10-18 18:16:38

GYM LEADER THINGIE-THINGIE:

Gym Leader Martel
    Specialty: Fighting
    Badge: Martial Badge
    Level Range: 20s or 30s?
    Appearance: Wears a stylized white military dress uniform. Pinkish-red short hair, green eyes. Tall. Has a saber she keeps sheathed on her hip.
    Description: Gym Leader Amy Martel is a former member of [REGION NAME]'s armed forces. This is reflected by her incredibly strict personality, and utter devotion to the fighting type. As well as being currently the only internationally recognized Gym Leader who officially goes by her last name (calling her "Amy" is a sure way to get chewed out). In her private life, she's a lot more sociable, but she keeps up appearance for (in her own opinion) the benefit of trainers, both her own gym underlings and any challengers who may come. Martel has a long-standing rivalry with Kanto Electric-type Gym Leader Lt. Surge. 

EDIT: I apologize for the laconic description. I'm not too good at transferring ideas to print sometimes (other times I'm great at it, seems to just sort of depend on the day, really). I can revise it a bit. But basically, picture a marshal, but with Pokeymanz.

Were this not a fangame, there'd almost certainly be a Sawk or Throh in her lineup somewhere. 

All I know for sure about the normal leader is that she will have a koala and a dropbear at the same level.
  • No rainbow star
    I call doing a Dark leader!

Because yeah

I find that "Because yeah" is the reason that leads to the best ideas.

Also, brosephs, how many gym leaders are there being?

Because I can make two if we need more. 

Eight's always been a good number. But I wouldn't object to nine. >_>
    8 is the standard and we have 8 devs, so that works nicely.

Alright then.

Ms. Martel is my official submission on that front then. 

• No rainbow star
    Wait, I just realized:

We're working on gym leaders

Before we even know the Pokemon

Seems a little backasswards
    Yeah, let's try not to do much of that just yet.
  • edited 2012-10-18 18:34:10
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^That's what I was thinking. I was coming up with ideas for a Poison or Grass type leader but then realized that I had no idea what the team would be like.

• edited 2012-10-18 18:38:52

I already had the idea from awhile back for something else, I just changed some things to fit to this particular project.

I recycle characters pretty often, it's my second biggest weakness as a writer (my biggest is that I'm bad at writing).  

Anyway I did have an idea for a Fighting Pokemon but I'm holding off on submitting any more Pokemon descriptions in full until I'm done with all of the ones I like (currently, those are the previously posted Fire Tiger, a coyote, a bomb thingie, the flying squid, and a military Pokemon, who is the fighting type).

• No rainbow star
    My ideas so far are the boneyard gator, the fossil tasmanian tiger/sabretoothed tiger, the electric jellyfish, and unfinished ideas for a stinging tree, something based on mercury or poison/steel, and a kangaroo...

Wait!

What about a scorpion/hermit crab hybrid that uses things like empty needles to make its sting more nasty?

...Nah, silly idea

That's less silly and more "way too far into the grimdark sector" but agreeing on the "nah" part.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I dunno. With plot seemingly mostly detailed (unless we want to use this time to get specific?), I would think either a more detailed geography or gameplay expectations would come next.

Wait, we have the plot more detailed?

• No rainbow star
    Wait, we have a plot?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

We had this idea submitted by myself and Alkthash, but there were objections to it, I believe?