If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

ITT: IJBM designs a Pokèmon game!

Comments

• Has friends besides tanks now

There hasn't been a ton of objections so far, that I noticed. And I say that as the person who was doing at least half of the objecting. I felt that the plot didn't leave me starved for answers, and in any case, it would be tough to detail it further without a defined geography anyway.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The objections that were there were pretty big, though. "Requiring considerable reworking of the plot" big.

Like, if you didn't want the missions to be skippable, then we'd either have to rework it so that the plot pushes you there- thereby eliminating the puzzles- or... no, actually, we'd just have to do that.

I don't think we'd have to eliminate puzzles, necessarily. I just don't know if the main story is the right place for a Good End/Bad End type thing.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Personally I'd like to see a plot where the Evil Team isn't actually trying to capture the box legendary from the start.

I'd post more, but it would take some time and I need to do something and blah blah blah.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I think it'd be quite workable, depending on how it's handled.

It would have to be made fairly clear that there is multiple endings, and that the player can influence those endings. So long as that is done, however, I think it could work quite well.

I believe what Alkthash and I ended up thinking was...

Well, basically, the Poison-type Legendary would be set on a sort of cosmic clock; only waking up when things interfere with it, or when its clock ticks midnight. We shouldn't make it overtly clear which one it was this time.

Anyway, the idea was that, when you confront the Poison-type legendary, you can't catch him- much like Black Kyurem the first time you fight him. You can only defeat him (and I like to imagine that he would be a tough fight, by virtue of his ability/possibly changing levels to match your Pokemon's).

Then, after the plot is actually done, the ending determines what level the corruption is spreading at- whether the corruption is still spreading, whether the corruption has halted, or whether the corruption is reversing itself.

And then, once you've fought the Poison-type, any of the Ghost-types that the Team actually caught are released, and become roaming legendaries. The same thing goes for any of the Ghost-types you caught but didn't catch.

Which then leads to you being able to re-fight the Poison-type repeatedly in the post-game, but you can only catch it once you have all three Ghosts on your team. Sort of like unlocking Regigigas by having the three Regis.

And there would be a minigame sort of thing- cleansing the corruption up after the main plot. This allows you to catch Pokemon specific to corrupted areas, plus the difficulty of the minigame could be dependent- the areas are harder to cleanse if you haven't caught the Poison-type, for example, and there's less areas if you caught a Ghost during the plot.

Personally I'd like to see a plot where the Evil Team isn't actually trying to capture the box legendary from the start.

That would create a divide between the plot on one side and the plot on the other, as they're not near as interlinked as Reshiram/Zekrom and N.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Not sold on the three roaming legendaries idea because honestly, roaming legendaries are the opposite of fun and a pain in the ass. Maybe something like Suicune from HG/SS where they show up at certain spots and you have to track them down. 

And no to the idea of the fights vs the team being on a timer to determine if you can catch the knight. It's rather it be a flag system, where having so many badges can shunt you off from the ability to get it and it is just assumed Team Badguy got it offscreen. Or on a TV broadcast or something. But they would still be there trying to catch the knights each time if you do follow the clues and you have to fight through them. 

Not sold on the three roaming legendaries idea because honestly, roaming legendaries are the opposite of fun and a pain in the ass. Maybe something like Suicune from HG/SS where they show up at certain spots and you have to track them down. 

Man, that'd be better, I guess.

As long as they're still catchable, is what I was going for.

Aaaaah. When you said "Endings", I guess I took it to be more final than something that would be outright fixable in the postgame. That would be a neat way to deal with the postgame, actually.

I can see how you could have gotten that impression.

I need to get more sleep before typing up these things.

• edited 2012-10-18 21:40:06
    Loser

Nova,
    I actually thought it was more like an engine. The Poison-type stuff is the carbon monoxide and other exhaust stuff.

That was not exactly what I was thinking, but I like your idea better, so if people want to keep some part of that gas mask Pokemon idea, I feel like it should be that one.

ClockworkUniverse,

All of your Pokemon ideas sound alright to me (especially Dropbear). I guess one thought I kind of had was whether the Cone Snail would work as a high-defense type Pokemon given all of the weaknesses that a Rock/Poison type would have. I could be off the mark there though.

Alkthash,

An electric/fire imp pokemon. Either a Mew stand in, or a speedy special attacker single form pokemon. Meant to represent the lightning storms and bush fires that are common in the outback.

The imp idea seems pretty creative to me. Do you have any particular appearance in mind for that Pokemon? Are you thinking of something like Sableye?

I sort of came up with another Pokemon idea, but so as to not clutter up the thread, I added it to my last post. That being said, if people would rather that kind of stuff was left to the dev. team, I do not really have any problems with that.

• No rainbow star
    Did anybody do the Werewolf and Vampire ideas yet?

If not, I may make a Dark/Fighting and Dark/Poison Werewolf and Vampire, respectively

Louie:

Panda Pokemon: The first stage (Panhoot/Pahoot) would be a panda cub holding a bamboo shoot. Three leaves would be sprouting from the top of its head to add to the Normal/Grass or pure grass aesthetic. After reaching its second stage (Pando/Pandoh), the panda is slightly bigger, but still relatively small (like the difference between Charmander and Charmeleon). The leaves multiply and now form the small outline of a crown and the bamboo shoot is replaced by part of a bamboo stalk. The stalk is normally tied around the Pokemon's back, but like the Oshawott family and their shells, it would be used as a weapon when in battle.

Once in its third stage (Panreign/Pareign), the Pokemon is now a full-fledged tubby adult panda. The stalk, now fashioned into a walking stick/cane, keeps it upright. A leaf dǒulì replaces the crown atop its head. I am thinking that either that third stage would be a Truant/Slow Start type or just be a high defenses, low speed thing. One maybe interesting idea would be to give it a new special type Slow Start, but given the unpopularity of Slow Start, that might be a bad idea.

It's not voting time, but that would get +1 from me.

I am thinking that this Pokemon could be more like Snorlax, though. Perhaps give it Gluttony as an ability, rather than Truant or Slow Start, to represent the panda's enormous appetite?

• edited 2012-10-19 01:37:44
    Has friends besides tanks now

We could give it a choice between more than one ability, right? Or did Gen III not support that? Would it be too difficult to incorporate that?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Pretty sure Gen III had that. In fact, I think G2 might have.

• edited 2012-10-19 01:41:17
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It does indeed support that.

It might make more sense to have the dual ability either be Thick Fat (halves the damage taken by Ice-and-Fire-type moves) or Immunity (cannot be poisoned) though. I don't know- those are Snorlax's ability, and Thick Fat at least makes sense to me, although would be kind of broken on a Grass-type Pokemon.

Pretty sure Gen III had that. In fact, I think G2 might have.

I don't believe Generation 1 Pokemon had Abilities, nor Generation 2. Bulbapedia indicates Abilities were introduced in Generation 3.

Seriously? I thought they were introduced in 2.

I mean, between me and Bulbapedia, I'll trust Bulbapedia every time, though.

Well, Neoseeker indicates that they were, too.

Wow, Generation III did even more for the Pokemon series than I had thought.

Yep.

It's too bad Ruby and Sapphire are the least fun games in the series.

Man, imagine Gen III's change with Gen V's improvements on the formula. That woulda been awesome.

• edited 2012-10-19 01:50:06
    Has friends besides tanks now

^^ I'mma cut you. :|

(Don't mind me. I still have fond memories of getting Ruby and a Gameboy Advance SP together for my tenth birthday, passing the time during mom's bowling tournament, and trying to power through E4 with just Blaziken, and stuff)

(Then again, I have fond memories of every game, so maybe it was the least fun generation. But there was so much cool, new shit)

Hey, I powered through Emerald's Elite Four with just a Blaziken too. :D

there was so much cool, new shit

It's mechanically the most progress a generation has ever had.

It's just that the long walks are longer and walkier, and there's often very little indication of what you're supposed to be doing.

Maybe I was just too "Oh my God it's Pokemon!" to notice how long the walks were. Too ten years old, basically.

It's just that the long walks are longer and walkier, and there's often very little indication of what you're supposed to be doing.

I remember wandering around for two days, at one point, trying to figure out what to do, before I realized that the Magma Grunts had moved from in front of the cable car.

Yeah, in fairness, I didn't play it until after I'd played HG/SS, AKA the best games in the series that aren't Pokèmon Snap, as well as Platinum, so in addition to my being more cynical than I was when it came out, it had a lot of competition.

I remember wandering around for two days, at one point, trying to figure out what to do, before I realized that the Magma Grunts had moved from in front of the cable car.

Speaking of which. I think I'm just after the electric gym. What the fuck am I supposed to do next? If someone doesn't just tell me, I will likely never be able to finish it.

I still need to play HG/SS. Too bad I'm a broke college kid who's already blown too much money on new clothes.

You're given Surf at that point, right?

I think you have to Surf east of Mauville.

Um.

If I have Surf and didn't realize I have Surf, I am going to have to do a very epic headdesk.