If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I am not ready to quit TV Tropes yet

Comments

• Likes cheesecake unironically.
    ^ I highly doubt that you are the only one. Considering that I agree with this, it's no surprise.

Then again, I would say "fuck social networks" anyway. But completely disregarding SN stuff may be a bit short-sighted from me.
  • edited 2011-08-07 15:23:31
    My point is that if you are at a place where you truly believe that TV Tropes is a pit, or that the website is crumbling, it is unreasonable to expect that the site will ever be cleaned up to your satisfaction.

Not to mention the fact that trashing TV Tropes for that particular headline really just comes across as looking for absolutely anything to complain about.

I've admitted many times that TV Tropes has problems that need fixing, but I also believe, and feel that I have satisfactorily demonstrated in several threads that many of those problems are vastly overstated both here on these boards and elsewhere.

Despite that, more and more on this thread, the ZR thread, and the SA Cross posting thread, I see people whipping themselves up into a frenzy over TV Tropes issues, many of them relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. For me, it feels like IJBM is becoming just as much of an echo chamber as TV Tropes is accused of being. While I'd like to feel that these things can still be discussed in a productive fashion here, the hyperbole is getting really hard to stomach.
  • edited 2011-08-07 15:26:23
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Doesn't most of tvtropes loathe Facebook anyway?

Ninja'd
  • Doesn't most of tvtropes loathe Facebook anyway?

Not really, no.
    I don't have much love for it, but of course I can't talk for everyone. And while I haven't seen much love for it on TV Tropes in general, I can't say that I saw much hate for it either.
  • edited 2011-08-07 15:37:46
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    -shrug-

I have one.  I try to avoid using it to post stupid shit though.
  • edited 2011-08-07 15:43:32
    There's 12K Facebook likes for TV Tropes' main page, there was a thread in the forum about FB friends and a large amount of people had three digits numbers, several situations in the Insecurities thread are facebook related...

... really, the only person I've seen openly hate on facebook that I remember is GMH.
  • ^ And, honestly, who takes that guy seriously?

Not serious post. =P
  • cleaning itself up
    in terms of coding

• You can change. You can.
    My point is that if you are at a place where you truly believe that TV Tropes is a pit, or that the website is crumbling, it is unreasonable to expect that the site will ever be cleaned up to your satisfaction.

the site is flawed, but many of us hold on and expect it to get better because we're still fond of it. Warts and all. 

Not to mention the fact that trashing TV Tropes for that particular headline really just comes across as looking for absolutely anything to complain about.

I can agree with that

I've admitted many times that TV Tropes has problems that need fixing, but I also believe, and feel that I have satisfactorily demonstrated in several threads that many of those problems are vastly overstated both here on these boards and elsewhere. 

As it is, I feel that while you're right, they're still annoying enough for me to not really enjoy the site that much.

Despite that, more and more on this thread, the ZR thread, and the SA Cross posting thread, I see people whipping themselves up into a frenzy over TV Tropes issues, many of them relatively minor in the grand scheme of things

What is "relatively minor" to you can be incredibly annoying and stupid for others, ya know?

For me, it feels like IJBM is becoming just as much of an echo chamber as TV Tropes is accused of being. 

Ya got to understand that many of the people who come here are not really fond of TvT in one way or another. Either if it was because of IJBM's deletion or whatever, it is really weird to expect this place to be...I dunno...more varied about its opinion on a site that has looked down upon the visitors of this site and blah blah blah. 
    I have to agree with Elbeem. There is nothing on TV Tropes that would suddenly make the entire site suck for me.

What is "relatively minor" to you can be incredibly annoying and stupid
    for others, ya know?

Sucks for them.
  • Whereas I think there's absolutely nothing that TV Tropes could do that could stop the site from sucking, since its biggest faults are based on the premise of the site itself.
    Weren't you just there for IJBM anyway?
    Sucks for them.

Ah well, so you wouldn't mind me fixing it while you're all indifferent and shit, would ya?
  • edited 2011-08-08 10:18:17
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    You know, this makes no sense.

I just had three posts thumped.

For reference, here is the post before the third:

Wonder if FE's commented here yet...

My reply on the next page was thumped:

I just... what?
  • edited 2011-08-08 10:20:33
    Belief
    Responding to troll bait?

I don't know /shrug,

I actually saw those posts and didn't think they were too off-topic, but ehhh

I'm not a mod.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    That just makes no sense...
    Ugh what was being discussed?

And was it Madrugada?
  • It was off topic?

It's not like it was just you. 
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Juan- Whether the votes were valid or not and why there are so many votes for it now when it had been the opposite way previously.

AHR- No, I mean, why is the question allowed to stay un-thumped but a direct answer to it with proof provided is thumped?
    Ah, OK, now I understand.

Well, I understand the chain of events, but I don't understand the rest of it, but whatever. I'm fairly sure tht Maddie just wanted to nuke that page for whatever reason.
  • ...everything you linked to was thumped.
    I don't even know what's going on.

AHR- it seems to have been thumped in between me posting that and you viewing that, because I loaded it to check and it was not thumped.
  • OK then. So then, problem solved?
    Well, she probably missed it before Cygan linked to them or something.

I did see it as unthumped before Cygan linked it and when I was catching up with said thread.
    Yeah, although I am still really confused as to why all this happened and why that post in particular sat there for too long before thumping.
    Probably she was fencesitting.

I still believe the whole nuking of the page was unnecessary and should have instead simply had a warning as the discussion is sorta relevant.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Okay, I missed that, but is the explanation basically some variant of "Wave claimed the side opposing his was cheating by bringing in non-TRS people?"
  • We'll never know cause it was thumped XD

Sorta. He (apparently) claimed that the voting was being rigged. Probably because last time, not so many people voted against. Clearly because he doesn't understand that not many people who disagree with the current state of affairs are TRS regulars.
This discussion has been closed.