If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in ink!

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

i would totally read a comic about Raven and Starfire

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Heck, they could do a Raven & Starfire title and with the proper talent I'd totes read it.

I'd definitely have read that, and hell, I probably would have been reading New 52 titles months ago if they'd done that.

Hawk and Goddamn Dove

Whose bright idea was that? "Take two of our most obscure characters, give them a title, and have the worst artist in the entire industry draw it." With thought processes like that, it's no wonder the reboot was needed in the first place.

• edited 2012-05-12 20:02:49
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^Their sister relationship in the cartoon was great. The episode where they body switched was one of my favorites, highlighting the contrast of cotton candy and bitter chocolate.

^I think it was passion project on Liefeld's part, and as terrible as he is, his popularity in the nineties (and perplexingly still existent fanbase) gives him clout for some reason.

I get the feeling he thinks the awkward dialogue on the virtues of pacifism they were originally made under was really deep.

The episode where they body switched was one of my favorites

Me too. Heck, it's one of the few episodes I actually substantially remember.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Their sister relationship in the cartoon was great.

Yes. That's why I would enjoy it. :V

I think it was passion project on Liefeld's part, and as terrible as he is, his popularity in the nineties (and perplexingly still existent fanbase) gives him clout for some reason.

I think a lot of higher-ups at DC think it still is the nineties.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

INUH! We've groomed you into a comic fan and in less than a week you're properly hating on the higher ups at DC! (sniff) You're growing so fast.

• edited 2012-05-12 20:12:04
    You can change. You can.

I should get around to reading that Batman comic thing Juan compiled for me. I waited two months for it to download, I should eventually read it.

Oh, did it finish download? Excellent.

INUH! We've groomed you into a comic fan and in less than a week you're properly hating on the higher ups at DC! (sniff) You're growing so fast.

I think this is the best thing we've ever done, Malk. I'm so proud

• edited 2012-05-12 20:14:02
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I can't actually tell. I seem to have two Batman downloads, one titled Grant Morrison's Batman, and the other titled Bruce Wayne's Fall (Pre-RIP Morrison, RIP and Whatever Happened to the Cape something I can't read because the title is too long).

The second one has finished downloading, and I'm assuming it was yours.

• I'm a damn twisted person

You want the fast track to hating the higher ups at DC. Read the Green Latnern reboot, from like six years ago. See something that started off promising, hits fuck yeah awesome all go to crap because it was a nostalgia vehicle. And overplaying a new marketable gimmick(the rainbow Lantern Corps) instead of just sticking with magic space cop nonsense.

IJBM: All-Star Western seems to cost more than other New 52 titles, despite not being significantly longer.

Those five pages had better be damn good pages.

You can still buy seven comics for the price of a single book here, so shut your goddamned face and enjoy the low prices >:/

• You can change. You can.

Nova: Bruce Wayne's Fall's the one, yeah. 

And excellent~

The back ups vary.

You can still buy seven comics for the price of a single book here, so shut your goddamned face and enjoy the low prices >:/

Yeah, fair enough. But still. I could have spent that dollar on something else >:/

Actually, the Barbary Ghost Backup is worth the extra dollar.

I see. Good to know.

Anyway, I just bought Batman 8, Daredevil 2 and ASW 2.

• edited 2012-05-12 20:21:33
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Nova: Bruce Wayne's Fall's the one, yeah. 

And excellent~

cool

won't read it just yet though

i have like... homework to do. and games to play. and homework to avoid doing.

Damn. My parents want to watch a movie so I can't read them yet >:-|

OK, so so far I have read 9 of the New 52's first issues in order to atone for terrible sins knowing what i'll be playing catch up with, as old comics are being much harder to find now that the main forum i used to find them is now dedicated almost exclusively to translations.

So far, my thoughts are:

*Justice League: It's an OK first issue, although it has that Green Lantern/Batman dynamic that Geoff Johns loves that I am kinda not really into. I guess it's good that it's in the first issues as what exactly bothers me about it is that these two operate in an interplanary scale (When in the JLA) and bickering like little schoolgirl can simply cost an entire planet its existence or life, for example. On the other hand, said bickering is happening between two grown ups, and especially one of them spends his whole time waving his dick (Or power ring)

There's not really much else to talk about. Cyborg appears for a few moments, only for him to observe Green Lantern and Batman fly to Metropolis in the middle of a football game. 

Still, Jim Lee's art, as usual, is very pretty, full of life and action. I think I'll check issue 2 just to see if it gets to any more of my liking, but from the looks of it, I find it unlikely.

*Action Comics: This is Grant Morrison writing Superman! When was the last thing this happened. oooh, lemme check. Oh yeah, it gave us ASS (OK, I just like that acronym, shaddap). but seriously, if I expected one book in the new 52 to be pick up and followable was this one. Expectations aside, the issue was...surprisingly serviceable. It didn't blow up my mind or anything, but it was fun seeing Superman enacting vigilante justice with a blanket and some jeans. I also like how early Superman doesn't feel like a paragon of righteousness, but simply a dude trying to pound some criminals. It makes a great contrast with the man he'll turn into.

I was somewhat disappointed, but I'm definetly catching up on this one. 

Animal Man: Animal Man is probably one of the DC properties that I've always been more fond of, if by concept alone. The idea of a superhero who doesn't really worry about his secret identity and his family finding out is really enthusing for me because I find the whole concept is often exploited for boring dramaz. I also always liked the dynamic between Buddy and his family, simply because it allows for much needed comedy relief without having something as intrusive as, say, a sidekick.

In this issue, we are basically just introduced to the concept of Animal Man, what he does, the way he deals with situations and who he is, as well as getting foreshadowing for what is about to come. It's not really outstanding in plotting, but boy, it Lemire really does some great character work. Special mention for that scene where Buddy sympathizes with the dude trying to take that hospital hostage and tries so hard to put his thoughts at the back of his head.

Defiinetly following and catching up

*Batgirl: man. this is the one. If there is one thing everybody has been complaining about the New 52 (Ahahah, good one. "One"), it has been the retconning of Babs turning into Oracle and becoming the DCU go-to data consultant and hacker. There are a lot of issues with this concept alone. To turn Barbara into Batgirl again not only does get rid of one of the character's much more interesting aspects (The fact that she has a handicap to overcome in order to help people) but also, it gets rid off both Cassandra and Stephanie, who were much more interesting characters than Barbara as Batgirl. 

The thing is, and I think editorial knew all the backlash they'd get, otherwise they wouldn't have gone with it, this book is still written by Gail "Birds of Prey" Simone. And while she doesn't utterly fail at it, the fact is, she just can't save the book with all of her clever dialogue.

Not following.

Batwing: Judd Winnick is...um...he's one of those dudes who tries his hardest to write ultra-gritty batman books. He's the man that gave us Jason Todd. Well, resurrected Todd, anyway. Batwing is kinda readable, I guess, and isn't that much of a bad book, but it feels mediocre. The art is very pretty and all, but the plot of some dude (from his ~past~ *insert ghostly haunting sounds) coming back to haunt David is, I dunno, ultra-cliche. Which I wouldn't mind, if it were not for the fact that there's really not much else going for the book in terms of writing. I also feel that Judd is trying too hard to make me like batwing, especially through the mouths of other people (In other words, lots and lots of dick sucking)

not following

Detective Comics: Tony Daniel is and has always been a bit of a mixed bag for me. When he took the title from Grant Morrison post Batman's disappearance, he really didn't do anything interesting with the book, but he did very readable Batman stories and he made an interesting emphasis on his rogue gallery (Which Grant didn't do because his stories were much more focused on the bigger picture of his plans for the Dark Knight to become the Dark Entepeneur)

This issue is...um. I guess the best way to describe it is "Trying too hard". It's not really bad and I think there was some interesting material to work with here (And I liked the cliffhanger, if only because it raised my curiosity in terms of "where's he going with this"), but overall, I think my issue is with it is simply that I can't help but think Tony Daniel threw all this cool stuff at a wall and tried to see what stuck and what didn't. 

Following, but will drop at the earliest sign of bullshit

Green Arrow: I have a confession to make, ladies, gentlemen and Malk. Even though I love the emerald archer, the DCU's very own Robin Hood, Oliver Queen, the green threat, etc. I haven't actually read a solo story by him, ever. 

With that in mind, I think this issue works greatly as an Oliver Queen introduction. You get business shenanigans, archery shenanigans (Hacking arrows!) and Green Arrow dealing with threats and problems with a funny quip at the tongue and being all roguishly charming and shit. With that said, I think my only issue is how boring are the guys he fought. But otherwise, it's good enough to catch my interest. 

Hawk and Dove: Oh boy oh boy. Rob Liefeld is probably the single most hated individual in the history of comic books. His comics were one of the many many many reasons the 90s sucked and it's probably the one most people remember. He was the one that gave us Captain Breastamerica. He was the one who pretty much took every single idea about superheroes and then took a big dump on them and sold it around the world. 

There's no way this book couldn't suck. Right?

Yep, that's right. It's dumb as all fuck, features boring Hawk bitching about the world and at Dawn for no real reason, and poor Dawn, being an avatar of peace of whatever just accepting it. It's simply boring, dull and incredibly annoying. 

Good riddance, I say.

Justice League International: OK, I was lying earlier when I said that Action Comics was the book I expected the most about. This is the one I was expecting the most about. Giffen and DeMatteis had crafted what was simply the best superhero team book in the history of DC (In my opinion) all those years back under this very name via taking some of the world's most underrated heroes and giving them a home and a personality. It was in this book that we got to see Booster and Blue Beetle be the broest bros. We saw Martian Manhunter get his characteristic addiction to oreos. And many many things. Overall...yeah, JLI is simply my favourite thing. 

As for this book, it really doesn't measure up to that standard set all those years back. It's not bad, mind you, but the fact is, that this incarnation of the league starts without, well, almost everything that made the other incarnation interesting. Except for the use of old characters without a home, I guess. It still has a funny quip here and there, though ("Does the UN know you're here, Batman?" "I always enjoyed your sense of humor, Buster")

I'll probably keep reading it out of nostalgia-faggery (Oh man, I'm such a great example for comic book readers, right?)

And that's all for now, gentlemen, I'll tack the next ten later on tonight, I think. 

>it has that Green Lantern/Batman dynamic that Geoff Johns loves that I am kinda not really into.

That fucking scene where Batman palms Hal's ring. THAT FUCKING SCENE.

• edited 2012-05-12 22:56:57
    You can change. You can.

You mean where Batman takes Hal's ring off?

• edited 2012-05-12 22:58:22
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Yes. Call me crazy, but I don't a piece of semi-sentient hyper technology should just be slipped off because Batman rolled a 20 on his dex check.

...that was so nerdy I want to give myself a wedgie.

Oh. Yeah, that was pretty dumb. 

But what I was thinking about is simply how Geoff Johns treats Green Lantern and Batman much the same way Miller-inspired writers treat Superman and Batman (IE: A boring rivalry perpetuated by arbitrary reasons in which the two men do nothing but attack each other's egos in a "My methods can beat up your methods" way.)

Yeah, and Batman pretty significantly has the upper hand.

Hell, if this was the first Johns comic I ever read I'd be convinced he hated Green Lantern, because it's a lot like the way Garth Ennis treats him in Hitman.

So, I had a fairly long post typed up about those 3 issues, but then I closed the tab T_T

So, here's the short version:

Batman 8: Mostly just action, but very good action. This is a good story arc. Also: Batman in a mech suit. Batman in a mech suit.

ASW 2: Also good. I like that the art is just a bit less sepia. The "religion of crime" notion is kinda silly, but I can roll with it, since it's basically acting as a somewhat ritualistic rich guy cabal. The bonus story thing was a bit jarring, having a somewhat different tone.

Daredevil 2: The Captain America segment was good, if a bit short. And once the main plot kicked off again, I liked that the villain/monster things were nicely tailored to Daredevil.

> The "religion of crime" notion is kinda silly, but I can roll with it, since it's basically acting as a somewhat ritualistic rich guy cabal.

Greg Rucka, who created them, says he wished he had given them a less silly name but I feel it works, especially in a place like Gotham City.

Yeah, it really is mostly the name.

And yeah, if they exist anywhere, they exist in Gotham.

• I think Red Hood and the Outlaws has a LOT of potential. It's one of those books that, for me, skirts just below the 'average' line, but I find all the issues with flashbacks (i.e. the one that showed us Jason's relationship with Dick and another that showed his one with Tim) really make the series worth a glance.

>Saying anything concerning Jason Todd is worthwhile.

Seriously, the only important thing Jason Todd did is die.