If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in ink!

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Warning: Daredevil 11 is part 3 of a crossover event concerning the omega drive. Part 1 is in Avenging Spider-man #6 and Part 2 is in Punisher #10.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Good to know.
  • edited 2012-05-20 02:16:33
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

You should be reading Avenging Spider-man anyways. (Just skip issue 4 unless you want details on why everyone hates Hawkeye)

I likely will. I'm getting a kindle fire and some money for my birthday in a couple of weeks, so I'll probably start on a bunch of new stuff then.

Groovypants.

• Reading Avenging Spider-Man should be the LAW. Hell, they even did a story where Red Hulk was bearable! (Just like JLI did with Batwing)

• I'm a damn twisted person

You didn't even read my post where I explained that they managed to salvage the character after Jeff Parker took over writing duties from Loeb, did you?

• I did, I've actually read a few issues of the current Hulk series, mostly the stuff with Machine-Man in them. And I still don't like Rulk.

Different strokes for different folks. He's good in his own series (solid, but still finding it's feet) and was fun in Avenging Spider-man. In Avengers... well I can't say since I don't follow any Avenger's stuff besides Academy, but I'll assume anywhere from a solid meh to pretty darn boring. 

Demon Knights 8: A lull in the action, and more character exposition/development. Good chapter. The thing about Camelot is pretty weird, but kinda makes sense, I guess? The ending kinda came out of nowhere, but looks like it's going somewhere interesting, so that's okay.

Daredevil 7: Very nice. It's interesting that probably the darkest story so far in this comic didn't feature a villainous plot or anything, but was just a random bus crash. The "I'M NOT DARE DEVIL" shirt was hilarious. The ending kinda came out of nowhere, but looks like it's going somewhere interesting, so that's okay. Guess that's a theme today or something. The next issue appears to be part 2 of a crossover, so I guess I'll have to pick up Amazing Spider-Man 677 next.

52 week 4: This one had a lot of weird stuff happen, but it was interesting weird stuff, so I'm okay with that. The "History of the DCU" stuff continues to seem kinda out-of-place, but it's good, so I don't mind.

It's probably good to just pick up Amazing Spider-man in general. 648 is a good place to start because that is when Dan Slott(the current writer) took over. 

I'll keep that in mind for future reference, though for now I'll probably just start with 677 because it's pretty much the next thing to buy for Daredevil.

Marvel seems to like crossovers more than DC, though that makes sense given that DC just did the whole relaunch thing.

• edited 2012-05-20 14:00:13
    I'm a damn twisted person

Yeah. Frequent crossovers for them are Spider-man/Daredevil and the various X-men books with each other. Still I'm really psyched for the crossover DC is building between Animal Man and Swamp Thing, because it is the best kind of crossover. Not editorially driven to try to boost sales, not just an idea the staff thought was cool but an organic(heh) progression of multiple plots and their inevitable intersection. 

Contrast this with Night of Owls or AvX which are just quick ways for Marvel and DC to try to get readers from one book to pick up another book. 

crossover DC is building between Animal Man and Swamp Thing

Hell. Yes. That makes so much sense.

I really ought to get caught up on those.

Marvel built itself on crossovers. While DC is still a shared universe, there's still something of a divide between a lot of the characters, though mystical DC seems to be changing that what with crossovers with JLD, Animal Man, Frankenstein, and such...

• edited 2012-05-20 16:03:01
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Demon Knights 9: How does this series just keep getting better? I count at least three new plotlines that just got introduced, all of them excellent. Also, I find it funny how Alba Sarum is shown to be a really modern and enlightened city by...having plans to legalize gay marriage. Kinda silly, but also kinda awesome.

Amazing Spider-Man 677: Apparently, I'm not as familiar with Spider-Man's status quo as I thought I was, but I picked it up fairly quickly. The bit with him not realizing that Daredevil's secret identity isn't completely blown was hilarious, as was the bit with the holograms. I'm kinda annoyed that it cost a dollar more than an issue of Daredevil, but is shorter.

Swamp Thing 3: Naturally, the ending of the last one was a fake-out -_- I get the need to sell more comics, but it does get kinda annoying when a story has a shocking twist every few pages, only for it to be undone on the next page. That aside, I like where this is going. You don't see a lot of little kid supervillains.

I'm now caught up on two of the new 52 titles I'm reading, so that's good.

EDIT: Oh, wait, Daredevil 8 also costs more. I guess they're just either recent enough to not get a discount, or Marvel upped the price. Fair enough, I guess.

Spider-man costs more because he's one of the most popular Marvel characters and his book is going to sell no matter the price.

and so more obscure, chance-y stuff gets a lower price tag.

• edited 2012-05-20 18:30:13
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Ah, that makes sense.

Daredevil 8: Ties the crossover a bit to the main ongoing Daredevil plot. I liked the helicopter fight scene. The setup stuff going on with the graveyard continues to seem a little out-of-place, but it's probably going somewhere interesting, so okay.

Animal Man 4 and Swamp Thing 4: You know what, these are basically different perspectives in the same story, so I'm lumping them together from now on. In these issues, our heroes consult with their respective life pantheons, who tell them that there's a crossover coming down the line. Meanwhile, Buddy's family continues to be menaced and Dr. Holland has to track down and kill a terminally ill child, which looks like it will be a lot harder than it sounds. Incidentally, these are some of the few DCU superheroes who I think of in terms of their actual names instead of their superhero names, which is yet another way in which the two series complement each other. Another way? The art is fantastic. Maybe that's just because they both have really interesting things to show, but still. Every issue in both series looks pretty amazing.

The whole gore horror feel of the Red doesn't bug you in Animal Man? I personally love it since life is anything but clean and orderly and is a big bloody mess, but a lot of people are put off by it. 

That said Bleeding!Buddy is up there with Bleeding!Yorrick for great ocular bleeding reaction macros. 

The whole gore horror feel of the Red doesn't bug you in Animal Man?

It did during the first couple of issues when I had no idea what was going on, but once I understood it, I went "well, yeah, of course that's what it's supposed to look like."

Animal Man 5 and Swamp Thing 5: This is the bit where the shit hits the fan. Buddy's daughter accidentally spreads the Rot to the local wildlife, while in Swamp Thing, we see it burn the Green Parlaiment. We also get some more explicit foreshadowing of the crossover, as Buddy's family is now basically going on a road trip/car chase to find Swamp Thing.

Animal Man 6 and Swamp Thing 6: Well, evidently Animal Man had less plot to cover before the crossover before Swamp Thing did, so for that title, we get filler. It's not bad, but it's not what I read Animal Man for. Swamp Thing, meanwhile, deals with the fallout of the previous issue, then throws some more shit at the fan while it's at it. Things are not looking good, especially since Animal Man kinda needs Dr. Holland's help, and he kinda just got chainsawed.

• So did anyone see that awesome part of Avengers vs X-Men #4 where Cyclops totally sucker eye blasted Wolverine? It's good to see Scott not trembling in fear at Logan, as so many people do. In fact, it seem at lot of this series has involved people turning against Wolverine.

Animal Man 7 and Swamp Thing 7: Animal Man is still on filler mode, but it's good filler this time in that it actually feels like an issue of Animal Man rathe than some other comic that somehow got tge wrong covet attached. More family interactions and a nightmare sequence showing Buddy's worst fears. Good stuff. Swamp Thing, meanwhile, features an excellent conversation between Dr. Holland and the Green Parlaiment that reveals a lot of character on both sides, and then concludes with our hero becoming the title character. Normally I'd complain about him taking seven issues to become Swamp Thing, but it gave us a lot of time to get to know him, which is great. Looking forward to seeing some Rot thugs getting demolished.

^^My statements on what I've read of AvX.

Cap Vs. Wolverine: Fucking awesome

Thor Vs. The Phoenix Force: Fucking awesome

Idie begging Wolverine to promise Hope will be safe: Don'tfuckingcrydon'tdfuckingcrydon'tfuckingcry

Everything else: AIIIIEEEEE MY BEAUTIFUL BRAAAAIN!

• edited 2012-05-22 02:14:07

TheConductor - yeah that's a bit I've liked about AvX so far is that the universe isn't kowtowing to Wolverine freaking out. Just the Avengers (even though fucking Captain America should know better than to intimidate friends into helping you by showing up at their home pointing guns at them and asking to take a family member away). Nice to see the whole synch with this story and the original Dark Phoenix saga. Instead of ending on the moon, it finally starts again there, blah blah blah easy death and rebirth symbolism.

That said, seeing Captain America kick Wolverine out of an airplane was classic. Because what isn't to love about people getting kicked out of airplanes?

Malk - yeah it is cool to see Thor have a chance to actually try to punch way over his weight class for once. As for the rest, Avengers Academy and Legacy have been good about it, or rather various characters' reactions to stuff and figuring out where they stand. 

The rest is bunk and even trying to keep track of how everybody is going everywhere at once and such is a pointless headache.

The entire problem I have with AvX is that it's a sign of how fucked up events are. This isn't even a proper event. It's a bunch of wrestling tickets with the two most popular aspects of the Marvel universe.

I await the college freshman papers comparing AvX to Waco, Texas.

• edited 2012-05-22 02:21:29

Well the characters in the comic did compare it to the Japanese internment camps only for other characters to shoot them down saying "it's bad, but nowhere near that bad". Still it's hard to side with the Avenger's here when they show up all hostile and don't even have a plan beyond flip the fuck out and take Hope into custody. Well and stop the Phoenix Force in space. That is classic Avengers stuff right there and I wish they focused more on the space mission. 

This isn't even a proper event. It's a bunch of wrestling tickets with the two most popular aspects of the Marvel universe.

Which of course makes the alt cover of Deadpool taking bets from a bunch of X-men and Avengers foes hilarious. 

>Well the characters in the comic did compare it to the Japanese internment camps only for other characters to shoot them down saying "it's bad, but nowhere near that bad".

That was in Avengers Academy which has more freedom than the main event and coincidentally is much better.

That said I wish it was more about the world freaking out about the Phoenix Force coming back like you said.

That said, it kind of proves my point. Why is this a bunch of punch ups between the Avengers and X-men?

Why isn't this called 'The Phoenix Rises' or something like that?

because Avengers Vs. X-men sells more.

and I'll say this for for the 'versus' mini. At least it fucking realizes that it's all about the fights. But they're all context-less. These might make fun mini music-video style encounters on Disney XD as shorts but as a full comic they're dull.

I do love how Rachel Grey keeps making the Avengers look like idiots by going "Guys, chill out. The Phoenix Force is scary but it can be controlled. I mean shit I handled the giant flaming space bird for years and the world is still spinning"

Basically AvX is Avengers over-reacting and X-men under-reacting.

But seriously, that scene in Wolverine & The X-men with Idie... right in the Arc Reactor, man.