If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in ink!

Comments

• edited 2012-05-11 12:55:03
    You can change. You can.

to me the fun in reading TLH was noticing how many references to other better books could Loeb throw in.

^Yeah, but you don't know that until you pick Batman #2 in the stores. Sure, you have faith on Snyder and blah blah blah, but you simply don't know that. Much the same way you don't know if DC#2 is gonna explore the thing about the joker's face (Admittedly, unlikely, but that's not really the point)

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

That's my big problem with Loeb and TLH and particularly Hush, where he just repeats these things that happened in classic stories (contemplating killing Joker in Death in the family, swordfighting Raz'z in the desert) which serve no real narrative purpose and just diminish the impact of the first times they happened.

Art was pretty, though.

• You can change. You can.

Man, Hush is hilarious, simply because everything is like a rehash of something. I mean, there's still even an scene where Superman comes in, just like he did in TDKR, with the exact same dialogue and everything. That's not just referencing something, that's almost fucking plagiarism

but yeah, jim lee made hush readable. then again, jim lee does that a lot. i'm not sure why he pairs up with bad writers and signs up for such bad stories

• edited 2012-05-11 13:03:58
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

It's possible that despite his talent Jim Lee just has terrible taste.

Also I think we can all agree that we never need to see another fucking story of Batman fighting Superman.

turns out artists suck at writing and plotting.

who da thunk it

(Oooh, it's on, mofos)

To that I just say Mike Mignola.

and david mazuchelli

and alex ross (he supposedly came up with most of the stuff that people praise about kingdom come.)

and art spiegelman

etc. etc. 

• edited 2012-05-12 11:34:42
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

So, because I have significantly more money than I thought I did, and because I'm really impatient, I'm bumping my weekly comics-buying day up to Saturday, because it's the start of the weekend and in no way because I just want to buy more comics right now >.>

Once again, only letting myself spend $11, so here's what I'm buying:

• One issue of Batman

• One issue of Demon Knights

• One issue of 52

• One issue of Animal Man

• One first issue from a New 52 series (I'm taking recommendations on this one, since, again, not sure what to get, and the recommendations I've gotten so far have been pretty awesome)

• And one more issue of whichever of those five made me want to buy another issue the most.

I'm getting the first four on that list now; I'll post my thoughts in a bit.

I think the best choice in here would be Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E or Justice League Dark.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

My thoughts:

• Batman #5: I liked this issue. I almost fell out of my chair trying to read all the rotated stuff, but that's really Comixology's fault for not having a way of rotating the page or something.

• Animal Man #2: Well, that was weird. I'm really not sure what else to say. More of the same, and things are looking interesting.

• Demon Knights #2: I love this series. "Excellent! I haven't eaten one of these in centuries!" is the best reaction to seeing a dragon in all of fiction. Also, was naming a character Osric a deliberate reference?

• 52, week 3: The main comic continues to be good, and the "history of the DCU" thing continues to be weird. I was a touch disappointed that not all the plotlines were followed up on, but everything that happened was interesting, so I can't complain.

Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E or Justice League Dark.

Those both look really, really weird. Which isn't a complaint or anything; it just makes it very hard to figure out which one looks more interesting.

52, week 3: The main comic continues to be good, and the "history of the DCU" thing continues to be weird. I was a touch disappointed that not all the plotlines were followed up on, but everything that happened was interesting, so I can't complain.

The thing about 52 is that it's supposed to work like a weekly newpsaper of sorts. You get to see how the most of the DCU is holding up after the infinite crisis and the absence of the Trinity of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, so it often tends to hop on between storylines, but as I recall, it always featured Booster and Renee.

• edited 2012-05-12 13:07:16

Yeah, that's what I figured; if a storyline doesn't get a mention one week, that means nothing important happened with it that week.

Anyway, I went with Justice League Dark. I liked it, though it had a lot to introduce in one issue. Zatanna restraining Batman so he wouldn't boldly rush to his death was a good moment.

I think I'll get the second JLD for my last issue, because I feel like it'll help me get a better grasp of the series.

EDIT: Liked it well enough, even if I'm not entirely clear on everything.

The thing about JLD is that it's kind of a nostalgia machine but a good nostalgia machine. They're a collection of old Vertigo title (or vertigo-prominent) characters from the late eighties/early nineties.

• I'm a damn twisted person

I'd toss out All Star Western myself. Jonah Hex going on morally dubious old west style adventures while babysitting the foppish Amadeus Arkham.

• edited 2012-05-12 13:44:29

^^The only Vertigo title I've read is Sandman, and only the first few volumes. I do like JLD though.

^I did look at that; it looks pretty good. Maybe next week time I buy stuff.

And after that you've pretty much exhausted the good stuff in the new 52.  Well Flash might be okay, but I object to it on principal because it is a nostalgia mobile that runs roughshod over quite a few beloved characters who didn't need a replacement.

I have yet to check ASW, but when i heard that one character gets fridged, i pretty much just decided to ignore it.

I dunno, I picked up last month's issue on a lark. Can't say for sure or not.

• edited 2012-05-12 13:56:44

Wonder Woman's good too. It's more like greek myth meets political intrigue. The biggest problem I have is that I wish WW had a more solid characterization but Diana having no character is kind of DC tradition. Action Comics #9 is pretty good, though it's obvious Morrison chafed at what he had to do with Earth-1 Superman and just said 'fuck it I'll do elseworlds stories'.

In any case, some recs I have that are not from the Distinguished Competition are Mark Waid's Daredevil, Avenging Spider-man, and Wolverine & The X-men even if the latter is currently bogged down by that stupid event.

^^First issue yeah. It's a minor character and otherwise is good.

Spoiler:
    Even if Issue 8 is all about him beating a woman so hard she gets turned and tries to fuck him in the middle of a gladiator arena.

• edited 2012-05-12 14:02:16
    I'm a damn twisted person

I'll toss out Amazing Spider-man, X-Men Legacy, New Mutants and Journey into Mystery for other good Marvel stuff. 

Spoiler:
    Wasn't she kinda kicking his ass in the pit though?

• edited 2012-05-12 14:02:36

What are people's thoughts on Batgirl? I know, I know, pointless retcons and everything, but I've heard some descriptions about the first villain that makes him sound pretty interesting.

And yeah, I do need to look into Marvel stuff.

I dunno, tell us what you like in fiction in general, and me and Malk might be able to point you to stuff we have a good idea you will like.

And bluh, my addition will be up in a few hours. 

• edited 2012-05-12 14:08:29

Terrible terrible TERRIBLE.

Not just the retcon but the story itself is really bad and I found it rather offensive to disabled people.

Also, Alk and I will disagree here but I really like the current stuff going on in Iron Man and Thor, though for Iron Man to get everything you'd have to do a bit of an archive binge.

For non Big 2 stuff I recommend Saga (Game of Thrones meets Star Wars is how people are describing it) Hack/Slash (Buffy fights slasher monsters) Fatale (Lovecraft noir) and Megaman (It's... megaman)

I read the first issue of Batgirl. The thing is, the premise is completely and utterly horrible, but the book is written by Gail Simone and she tries her hardest to make it work. She kinda fails, but she kinda doesn't. Overall, I'd say it's mediocre and leave it at that.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Okay, good to know. Won't waste my money then.

tell us what you like in fiction in general, and me and Malk might be able to point you to stuff we have a good idea you will like.

Hmmm...I wish I were better at answering that sort of question >.>

Yeah, Saga is in the realm of damn good. 

Oh, and back to DC SWAMP THING. It's also written by Scott Snyder.

• edited 2012-05-12 14:15:12
    I'm a damn twisted person

Mention a few books or movies you like. That might point us in the right direction.

With Iron Man the art for non mech things puts me off a lot. It is hard to get attached to characters who just look so... plastic all the time. Thor is okay I guess, but after Fear Itself and whatever the hell that Tanarus plot resolved into I just said fuck it.  The Thor: The Mighty Avenger mini though is a lot of fun for being pure silver age style whimsy with Thor.

And for more Snyder fun check out American Vampire, the only Vertigo book out right now worth a damn. Although the Mysteries in Space mini they put out this week was a lot of fun too. 

• edited 2012-05-12 14:15:09

It's also written by Scott Snyder

Okay, that's definitely going on my list.

Saga does sound interesting. I'll look into it.

Mention a few books or movies you like

Hmmm...Name of the Wind, Game of Thrones and Dresden Files jump to mind.

• Also; Invincible from Skybound comics.