If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in ink!

Comments

• JASON TODD MADE ME CRY AND THAT MAKES HIM WORTH A CHANCE, ALRIGHT?! 

• You can change. You can.

I have to agree with the general consensus of fuck jason todd. At least, resurrected jason todd is dull, boring and pretty much "What if the Punisher was even boringer"

• (Iamnotevenajasonfanandyetiamdefendinghim)

Guys, guys, there is no such thing as a shitty character, only shitty writers.  

Well, Jason still needs a good writer, then. 

really, as much as I like the notion of "no shitty characters", that's entirely untrue, though. Shitty characters often need to be revamped until they're almost unrecognizable to be interesting.

• edited 2012-05-13 04:58:37
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Death in the family was really sad, I certainly agree. However that's more because of Batman's reactions than Todd's death.

But if you read stuff with  Jason Todd there are two modes for him

1) No different from Dick Grayson

2)  Always tempting death and being an asshole

So writers chose the latter.

• (I'd reply to you Juan, but there is nothing I can say that isn't an overly verbose way of saying 'I agree')

Malk, I was actually referring to Under the Red Hood, or at least the animated version of it.

2)  Always tempting death and being an asshole

Which I think is a good way to portray him, the ignored middle child trying to get attention from Daddybats through any means possible? The perceived lack of love turning him into a cynic? Like I say, there is a LOT of potential there, it's just not being utalised properly and that really is a shame.

In any case, it could be worse....he could be Red Hulk

• I'm a damn twisted person

Actually Red Hulk is one of those "Shitty Characters that becomes okay/good under a better writer" type deals. After Jeff Parker took over the book from Loeb, they revamped Red Hulk from boring overpowered knockoff to an actual character. Part of this was by giving Ross time to shine, but also it was helped along by giving him a supporting cast, showing his past antics coming back to bite him in the ass and building up a cool rogues gallery that are all foils for some aspect of his character.

That sort of scenario is something I love to pieces about serial fiction, how a new writer can save a bad character*. Not to say it can't happen for Jason Todd, it just hasn't happened yet and doesn't seem likely any time soon.

*Of course the opposite scenario, where a new writer derails a good character to make them annoying or boring or just terrible is likewise very annoying. 

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^Well, any character has potential. Hell, Bella Swan and Edward's romance could be better. However, when you think of Jason Todd's 'defining story' it's the one where he dies. 

And I'd also any potential he has has already been taken by Damien Wayne.

I think Jason reviving could be interesting if the guilt component wasn't already in the rogues gallery (Specially Two-Face)

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Read more comics:

• Demon Knights 3: Least actioney issue so far, but I liked it. Shit got real at the end, so I'm definitely looking forward to the next one.

• Batman 9: Pretty awesome all around. It was kinda annoying when they went "okay, if you want to know what happened just then, buy Detective Comics instead," but I don't especially mind. Also, they killed Lincoln :c Also also, the flashback story is good, but had better not be going where it looks like it's going.

• Swamp Thing 2: Was pretty good. Didn't expect the whole prophecy angle to come up, but I can roll with it. The ending...didn't make especially much sense, but maybe it will after another issue?

I have to say, I loled a bit at Alfred's farther being named Jarvis.

You too, huh?

You know I just realized that part of the reason the Megaman comic is so good while Sonic has kind of languished might be because while Sega has a stranglehold on their final surviving claim to fame Capcom has basically abandoned Megaman. So while Archie has to make sure their creative efforts please Sega, they can do whatever they want with Megaman, resulting in more creative freedom.

Of course there's probably more going on there (like the oppressive 200+ issues that demand a need for continuity as well as cowtowing to Sega)

^^^Wait, you mean that wasn't already established or something? Because I just kinda went "well, yeah, of course that's his name" and felt like I already knew that.

Anwyay, I finally managed to get Comixology to sell me stuff, so:

• All-Star Western 3: Lots of character development this time around. Definitely a good issue, though I feel like the next one is going to be kinda predictable. The side-story continues to be a bit silly, but I don't mind since it's not what I bought it for, and it's not terrible or anything. I actually drove over the river its villain was named for every morning to go to school until I was 11 or so, which made that kinda neat for me.

• Animal Man 3: Continues to be really, really weird. That's not an insult at all. I have nothing further to say except that his family had better not get killed. They're like 99% of the reason I care about the character.

• Daredevil 3: Wrapped up the initial story arc pretty nicely, though it doesn't seem to be over over. Apparently that guy was an established Marvel villain, and they seemed to be explaining the retcon for why he's coming back when he was supposed to be gone, which was a little weird since I had no idea who he was, but I just rolled with it, and other than that the issue was great.

• Demon Knights 3: Ooh, character development and goal defining! I feel like with that, I have a pretty good handle on most of the cast. Very good issue, probably my favorite thus far. This series seems even more prone than most to the last-second crazy out-of-nowhere cliffhanger, though.

• edited 2012-05-16 00:22:29
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Jarvis is the name of the Avengers' butler, which is why it made sense to you, probably.

That said, I can't say for certain it's never been confirmed as his name before but I've never seen another story concerning Alfred's father and brother, I have read a lot of Batman.

In any case, Demon Knights is easily the best team book DC is publishing.

That would explain it if I knew that, but I don't.

I think it's just a really appropriate butlery name.

Well, also if you've seen Iron Man it's the name of the A.I. in his suit.

Huh. That MIGHT be it, or I just might have thought it was such an appropriate name that it was a given.

Should I keep posting my impressions of the comics I read here, or should I consider making a separate thread, since I'm not quite doing the same thing this thread is for?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

just keep it here

keeps the thread active anyway

i figure that by now this thread is basically "Recent comics general"

• I'm a damn twisted person

Lets just keep this as the all purpose comic thread. 

Coming tomorrow! Alkthash talks about the serials he got from the past two weeks and some cool trades he has read recently.

All right then.

Just read three more:

Demon Knights 5: Very good, builds a lot of character, some nice twists and a cliffhanger to top it all off. I think I actually like this series more with every issue, though I am looking forward to the battle we're building up to.

Daredevil 4: Also a nice break in the action. Lots more narration about how Daredevil perceives the world, which is fun, and the introduction of a new plotline that looks very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Justice League Dark 3: I'm...still kinda figuring out what's going on with some of the characters, but I really feel like once I get a better grasp of all of them, this will be a great series. Heck, it's already a good series, but it'll be better in a few issues, I think.

Anyway, I bought Daredevil 5 and Demon Knights 6 after reading those, so impressions on those in a bit.

Daredevil 5: An impressive mix of action, characterization and exposition. All three were excellent, and the fight with the guys in night-vision goggles was hilarious. Though one small nitpick is that while the new adversary is tough, he doesn't seem particularly interesting. Though the story overall is good enough to forgive that.

Demon Knights: (spoilers in this one) Yay, fighting! I'm kinda disappointed about Vandal Savage switching sides. It was in-character, but I liked him siding with the heroes. Didn't comment on it with the last issue because it could have been a fake-out, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Although...there was some mention of his poor tactics, so I guess it's bot impossible that he figured he could be more effective by helping the attackers and botching it. Either way, liking how the battle's playing out so far.

Saga #3: Back when Batman was coming out at this time I had to wonder what the best comic of the third week of the month is. Now that Batman's been pushed up one week I no longer have that burden on my mind. This is the funniest issue so far, which is actually kind of an accomplishment considering it also features the main character very near death and a brutal scene of a man being beaten. The ending twist also made me laugh for a good minute.

The Invincible Iron Man 517: I get that writers have their usual bag of tricks, but as well written as this is, this is the second time Tony has become 'disabled' in Fraction's run and the second time he's 'rebooting' himself. Don't get me wrong. Invincible Iron Man still gets a solid recommendation and the fine detailing differs enough to be a good read and the stuff dealing with Ezekiel Stane, Justine Hammer, and The Mandarin is still really solid. I just wish the Iron Man comic had more... well, Iron Man.

Daredevil 13:  You can never accuse Waid's Daredevil of being slow. As he repeatedly tries to deal with the albatross that is dirt on every megacrime group in the world, as he goes to the Avengers for help, as he realizes there's more groups that he thought after it, there's nothing to say other than it continues to be Marvel's best book.

Wonder  Woman 9: After in last issue Hades claimed Wonder Woman's vagina in the name of Spain  traded Zola for Wonder Woman, the big brave male scions of the Greek Gods are going to rescue her. Oi. I know they're going for Wonder Woman willfully staying in Hell so that Hades well never go after Zola, but it still chages. That said, the art is nice (though not Cliff Chiang's) and some cool ideas of how Hell exists, but the basic framework of the plot still chafes, especially after how badass Wonder Woman was last issue.

Fantastic Four 605.1: What if the Fantastic Four were nazis? Silly on paper but Hickman is a miracle worker and turns it into the origin story for one of the many Reeds of the villainous Council of Reeds: alternate reality Reed Richards teaming up to 'improve' the metaverse. (Yeah, I know. Comics are weird.) It's a quick read, and it's a powerful one, especially considering how it very much chooses to keep Grimm's jewish heritage and turns it around in a powerful way. And I liked it too.

Hellblazer 291:
     This comic is basically what you expect out of Hellblazer: Fucked-up people doing fucked-up magic to stop even more fucked up people from doing even more fucked up thing and John Constantine burning more bridges. It's an emotionally powerful story and it's pretty tough to see Constantine trying to make amends with his estranged niece just go even worse. It's not on the level Garth Ennis' sin-and-blood-drenched run but it's still damn strong.

Daredevil 6: The new adversary wound up being a lot more interesting than I said he was last time. Good fight, good way of getting out of the base alive, interesting macguffin and an end to the story arc that sets up a longer-running plot, good humor throughout. What more can you ask for?

Demon Knights 7: Oh, hey, I was right about Vandal Savage! Sort of! The battle didn't go as well as I expected, though I guess they succeeded in their goal. The end of the story arc promises more worldbuilding at the start of the next one, which will be cool. I loved the contrast between the Demon Knights getting praised for winning the battle as we're shown shots of pretty much the entire village having been destroyed.

The bad guy in Daredevil 6 is awesome. He's a blogging luchadore with the superpower to counter your wrestling moves.

Yeah, the reason I had doubts about him was that as of the issue before, all we knew was that he was a really strong mercenary.

Yeah I didn't think much of him until the next issue, but the fight was really boss.

Spoiler:
    I also loved the fact that DD talks his way out of the situation rather than another punch up. It was a great way to emphasize Daredevil's civilian abilities leaking into his superhero job. Also, any solution that isn't fighting gets a thumbs up from me.

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. I loved how that guy went "you should be a lawyer."