If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in ink!

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I have a specific attachment to physical copies

I have run out of shelf space, and then run out of space to put in more shelves. I love physical books, but it's not really looking possible right now.

Anyway, Demon Knights #1...I had all this awesome stuff to say about it, but then the last panel had fucking velociraptor dragons wearing fucking armor and wielding fucking swords. The comic up to then was awesome and all, but you just can't compare to that. It's not fair at all, really, because that's what's going to stick with me until when I buy more comics next Thursday.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^Which reminds me I have to get another longbox.

• You can change. You can.

Comixology is great but I have a specific attachment to physical copies

Ideally speaking I'd have all the physical copies. All of them. But here we are.

I still can get some comics, though, but 

A) fuck paying to a megastore that probably will give around a 5% of the profit to the writer 

and 

B) they are mostly in Spanish and I really like reading stuff on their original language if possible.

Well, I have a tiny comic shop, so it's also about supporting them for me.

I can totally see your problems.

• I get all my physical comics from a book megastore. There's no other place.

Which is a shame. =| Not your fault. I mean I go sixty miles for my comics and I wouldn't do that if it wasn't where my sister had her boarding school.

Well, yeah, I guess that if push comes to shove, I'll reconsider my stance. But for now I'm not earning enough money to even consider it.

Also, Malk, having read the latest Batman, is it just me or are they gonna retcon Joe Chill out

Spoiler:
    Maybe. I actually wouldn't mind that. See, in my ideal canon we never find out the identity of the murderer of the Waynes. What kills them is crime and that's what Batman is warring against.

how do i spoiler properly

anyway, the thing is, I wouldn't mind a retcon of that, in particularly, but I think they are just gonna make it so that the Court of Owls did it, which both kinda makes sense and, well, kinda doesn't feel right.

As you said, the idea should be that Batman was born out of crime. and making it a common crook is what makes it work even more. Although I think that by giving him a name, you give Batman some closure so that he doesn't become obsessed just with the idea of catching his killer's parents but it's not a particularly preferable scenario.

For spoiler box you just put 'spoiler' in brackets followed by '/spoiler' in brackets.

Spoiler:
    In any case, I think that the idea of Batman being obsessed with finding the specific killer is missing the point of the character. Batman doesn't do what he does for revenge. he does what he does to keep what happened to him from happening to other people. It's the whole reason he takes in Dick Grayson: to keep him from becoming like Batman.

• edited 2012-05-10 23:35:28
    You can change. You can.

I see

Well, true, but the thing is, a lot of what appeals about Batman is that he's in a crusade that people can indentify with. By letting him do such a magnanimous act as completely getting over the fact that his parents were killed by someone, who's still at large and who he doesn't even know at all, you kinda lose that relatability aspect that helps a lot towards his appeal. It also doesn't make much sense for him, as a detective, to just let one case go away. I think the most interesting way of pulling such a thing off would be if the murderer of his parents was just another ghost that haunted him. The one that got away or something. Not something that obssessed him to the point of weakening his resolve as a crime fighter, but enough for him to brood over it. Because, you know, that's what Batman needs. More brooding.

• As I mentioned before, I think it would be absolutely hilarious if the Parliament was responsible for the death of every Wayne

Spoiler:
    EXCEPT Thomas and Martha, and Batman just goes; "Fuck you guys I'm bringing justice and going home."

Okay, screw it, my weekly comics budget is now $11. Making it an odd number will force me to buy an issue 1 every week, thus letting me check more stuff out.

Animal man...well, here was my thought stream while reading it:

"Wait, I thought this was supposed to be horror or something...it's just a superhero story so far. I mean, pretty good and all, but HOLY FUCK WHAT THE SHIT."

I will be following this series with interest.

I'm really hoping they don't kill off Buddy's family. Dear comic writers, superheroes are allowed to have nice things sometimes.

• edited 2012-05-11 01:15:42
    You can change. You can.

Killing Buddy's family would be missing the entire point of Buddy and why he's an interesting character, really.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer 9: Riddle me this, true believers! What has a robot Buffy, Spike controlling a steampunk spaceship filled with demon bugs, a rocker punk slayer, and somehow still is incredibly boring?

how

So, I just realized I forgot to mention something about Snyder's Batman. Now, this is probably just me having a limited reference pool when it comes to Batman (though he is the only DC superhero whose comics I've read a fair amount of before) but I can't help but notice that this is the first interpretation of him I've seen where he actually feels primarily like a detective, rather than an action hero who also solves crimes.

He did premiere in Detective Comics after all.

And come to think of it, Snyder's stories would make more sense under the Detective Comics banner than Daniel's tripe.

Oh, and word of warning. If it's written by Tony Daniel, stay the fuck away.

• edited 2012-05-11 12:16:09
    You can change. You can.

It's funny, but I don't think Snyder makes that much of an emphasis on Batman's detective aspect, but I do think Snyder's Batman is more detectivey than, say, Morrison's, who was pretty much just all about putting Batman in the weirdest situations and making him survive by the virtue of him being just the best at what he does. (Which is totally nicer than what Wolverine does)

With that said, there are some old stories that emphasize his detective aspect and Loeb used to kinda sorta do that (But Loeb was lame in just about every other respect, really)

^I actually like Tony Daniel's Batman's stuff. :<

well, haven''t tried detective comics (Although I read the first issue and all it got from me was a resounding "ok")

I think Morrison does pay attention to detective aspects, it's just that his story by their nature are nowhere near as tightly focused as Snyder's which are specifically mystery or conspiracy stories.

Admittedly I've only read a few of his comics, but his Detective Comics for the New 52.. the only reason I can't say it was the worst book is because I refused to read Hawk & Dove.

It's funny, but I don't think Snyder makes that much of an emphasis on Batman's detective aspect, but I do think Snyder's Batman is more detectivey than, say, Morrison's, who was pretty much just all about putting Batman in the weirdest situations and making him survive by the virtue of him being just the best at what he does.

Well, bear in mind that I haven't read much in the way of his comics, so my reference pool is mostly the Nolan movies, as well as a few selected comic stories which just happen to not emphasize his detective side, like The Killing Joke.

Yeah, the thing is writing good detective work is hard and the event of progression in Nolan's movies is far too messy to have a proper mystery story in it. The Silver Age stories feature a lot of more mystery and brain stuff, though they're also pretty campy so I doubt you'd be interested. But there's one issue where Joker has Robin hostage (because of course he does) and says that if Batman wants him to live he needs to lie, steal, and cheat which leads to Batman being very pedantic and literal by stealing the show at a circus, and cheating death and such.

...Well, I thought it was fun!

In any case, I really really wish I, Vampire was better since it's basically high-level Vampire The Masquerade in the DC Universe but urgh.

I think Morrison does pay attention to detective aspects, it's just that his story by their nature are nowhere near as tightly focused as Snyder's which are specifically mystery or conspiracy stories.

Well, there are a few stories at the beginning of his run that play like a detective story of sorts, but I think everything after the Island of Doctor Mayhew is more about "Batman was put in this really dangerous trap! Will he survive? Will Robin ever learn to respect his elders? Will Tim murder Damian and thus earn everyone's approval? Learn the answer to these and so many more questions next month when Bruce Wayne returns in [insert name of the next issue here] via tuning in to the next bat-issue in your nearest bat-comic shop!"

ok, I admit that sounded much better in my head, but my point stands. Bat-Morrison was more about the awesome action and sci-fi. 

Admittedly I've only read a few of his comics, but his Detective Comics for the New 52.. the only reason I can't say it was the worst book is because I refused to read Hawk & Dove.

there's no way it's worse than catwoman. it can't be. i simply refuse

Well, bear in mind that I haven't read much in the way of his comics, so my reference pool is mostly the Nolan movies, as well as a few selected comic stories which just happen to not emphasize his detective side, like The Killing Joke.

for what is worth, i only have read Morrison and Snyder, not counting the "usual" one shots and arcs that everybody reads (Like Year One, Long Halloween, that sort of stuff)

Catwoman was pretty damn bad but it was narratively coherent. Detective Comics #1 was not.

You're gonna have to run that through me again. Of all the things I could have said about DC #1, incoherence doesn't really come up as appliable. 

I mean, I wouldn't claim it's perfect or anything. (Come on, Bruce telling himself in monologue that he's batman is really really silly) but i can't see what's incoherent about it.

(Like Year One, Long Halloween, that sort of stuff)

I have read both of those. The Long Halloween did kinda focus on the detective thing, being a murder mystery, but not, IMO, to the extent that Snyder does. I mean, just in the first four issues, he's investigated a bad cop at Arkham, done an autopsy (or helped on one) for two corpses, looked into the city's architectural records to uncover a conspiracy, stuff like that.

^Well, also, Jeph Loeb also can't really write mysteries.

Also, The Long Halloween is the most overrated Batman comic out there. It's a bloated, confusing mess. Come at me, bro.

And granted I haven't read DC 1 since it came out, but I just remember things just making no sense. Batman was fighting a dude, then Joker was naked for some unfathomable reason and then there was that twist at the end which has no impact because it's the goddamn Joker and we know that's not going to stick in the first damn issue.

For what is worth, while I think TLH was a good read (OR at least, I enjoyed it) I wouldn't claim it's as damn good as people say. I'd say it's mostly serviceable at best.

And granted I haven't read DC 1 since it came out, but I just remember things just making no sense. Batman was fighting a dude, then Joker was naked for some unfathomable reason and then there was that twist at the end which has no impact because it's the goddamn Joker and we know that's not going to stick in the first damn issue.

Thing is, that's kinda like criticizing the first issue of Batman for implying that Dick Grayson killed someone. It's obvious that things are not what they look like. What's interesting is trying to speculate what things actually are and then seeing what they are, after a month. 

For me, the fun in TLH was in noticing how The Dark Knight was about equal parts The Long Halloween and The Killing Joke.

>Thing is, that's kinda like criticizing the first issue of Batman for implying that Dick Grayson killed someone. 

I'll accept the point, but the twist of Dick Grayson being the killer is a genuine mystery to unravel that will and does have narrative exploration. The ending of DC 1 is just for shock value.

Which makes me wonder what the limits of gore you can show in an all-ages book. Could they have shown the Joker actually getting his face carved off? Because they do show his flayed skin.