If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Skyrim

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Hey, I'm just talking about ways to break the game. If you want to play it legitimately, that's different.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    I'll probably try breaking stuff once I've ha a proper set of playthroughs.

Also the Dragons keep flying over at such inopportune times, like when I've been lifted into the sky by Meridia and she is chatting about her temple.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    This sounds like an interesting game, but I'm not exactly sure what I want to get out of a game of this setting.

My greatest exposure to medieval european high fantasy settings thus far has been:
    * several D&D campaigns
    * the Lord of the Rings movies.
  • edited 2011-11-19 13:19:36
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Skyrim is actually more of a Norse setting.
    If you enter a room full of coffins usually at some point more than one draugr will burst out of them and attack.

If you cast a rune spell just under/at the coffin the rune explodes and forced the draugr to come out (with lowered health) meaning that rooms where you might be ambushed before can be dealt with pretty easily.
  • Good people don't end up here.
    Well, so is the Lord of the Rings.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    LotR is split by faction:

- The Shire is Romantic-period England, sans industrialised technology.
    - Anor (what remains of it) is like very early Middle Ages Europe as a whole; lots of lawless wilderness punctuated by small outcrops of civilisation.
    - The Elves of various types are Celtic in inspiration.
    - The Dwarves are pretty damn Norse.
    - Rohan is southern Germania mixed with the Anglo-Saxons.
    - Gondor is a bit Renaissance Italy, a bit of Ancient Rome and a bit of Arthurian England.

So while LotR certainly contains many Norse elements -- hell, Gandalf even looks like Odin -- that's not even half the inspiration of it. Keep in mind that many different Germanic tribes and peoples had similar cultural temperaments and taste in mythology. The Norse are certainly Germanic, but so are the Goths, Lombards, Saxons, Teutons and so on and so forth. While the Norse are a very popular Germanic people to focus on within popular media, people like them were throughout central Europe, mostly around what would be considered modern-day Germany, Austria, northern Italy and parts of Poland.
  • >Hey, I'm just talking about ways to break the game. If you want to play it legitimately, that's different.

>implying that min/maxing isn't legitimate and more than half the fun of any Bethesda game

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    SKYRIM GET

Goodbye Earth, hello Tamriel.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    OBJECTION! The planet is called Nirn! /horriblygeekypedant
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    -throws rocks-
  • edited 2011-11-19 16:10:30
    Its true about the plan changing thing. I planned a high elf mage at first. then I tried bow combat and found I couldnt throw spells with a bow out. and now I am a bow rogue.

me and my devoted sarcastic Housecarl Lydia, out to save the world..or get endlessly sidetracked by sidequests and shouting FUS at people
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    So, has anyone noted how massive the weapons are in this game? Your single-handed sword could very easily be used as a two-hander in real life, and two-handers are zweihander-sized by default. This is sort of okay for the two-handed sword, at least the steel one; it literally has a zweihander design, secondary crossguard and all. But the size of the other two-handers isn't justified at all. In reality, the only weapons that large are polearms. The two-handed axes, for instance, would be better off depicted as poleaxes or halberds. Plenty of poleaxes and halberds also had a hammer face on the opposite side of the axehead, too, which is a part of the reason they were so devestating. Adversaries with light or medium armour would be defeated by the fast, air-splitting axehead while the hammer face would make plate armour a reasonably pitiful defense.

The size and inaccuracy of the weapons is made more obvious by the relative accuracy of the early armours. Even iron and steel plate are on the slender side. but the weapons? Universally massive! This would cause a shift in warfare and combat, since the mass of the weapons would render lots of armours obsolete, therefore rendering the massive weapons obsolete. Before you know it, everyone would be fighting with light armour and the "single-handed" swords in a temporal, reversed parody of early medieval Scandinavia. As much as early medieval Scandinavia with lots of maille and longswords strikes me as awesome, the game sadly never reaches this logical conclusion.

With this in mind, I'd like to bring up the horribly mediocre combat. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be done to improve it for the next game, without violating the simplicity that is requisite of such a broad game? I was thinking:

- For the love of God, build the combat system around the third-person perspective. A first-person perspective has too much of a sensory disconnect from real life.
    - More deliberate, controlled animations, with hit detection to match. This is a tactical consideration; if you can measure attack arcs more effectively, you're more likely to use position, elevation and obstacles to your advantage.
    - Bring footwork into it. Have each attack "force" a kind of footwork if you're in motion, such as a forward-right diagonal motion causing a forward-right diagonal step. Do this without forcing visual perspective or character facing, but limiting it. This way, one could strike as they moved and swivel their character so that they ended up facing their adversary. This should apply to the AI as well, removing any semblance of button-mashing combat on either side.
    - In addition to the above, your strike should come from the direction you're moving into, so to speak. So moving forward-right diagonal means your strike is diagonal, starting on your right and moving left.
    - Force timing. Clicking again too soon should result in nothing, but there should be a certain timing that allows an additional strike (plus footwork) to flow from the previous one.
    - Two-handed weapons should be faster than one-handed weapons.
    - There should be an intermediate weapon type, "longsword", which benefits from both one-handed and two-handed skills.
    - Optionally, weapon collisions could be part of it. While the above keeps things reasonably simple, it would be interesting to force players to choose a strike that's unlikely to be intercepted, or to choose a strike that might be intercepted, but choose footwork that will gain them the superior position.
    - If the above is used, shields should be a passive defense, and should move in relation to one's strike, covering an opening that the weapon doesn't. Perhaps the "block" button could actually become a shield bash in regular combat, but serve as a weapon displacement if you use it as an adversary hits it?

tl;dr I will not be outdone for geeky pedantry.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Watching the first part of GhostRobo's walkthrough makes me want this game, but I'm kinda busy lately. I think I'll ask for it for Christmas.
  • Am I the only one who actually stuck to the character I originally planned? Or, well, close to it.

• edited 2011-11-23 09:09:38
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

^^Well, I'm sticking to my planned character for the diary thing I'm doing, since it's a roleplay character.

Though I am allowing her to pick up new skills, with difficulty, if something grabs her interest. For example, she made her first potion in the entry I need to write next.
  • a little muffled
    Started the game today, played for a few hours. Good stuff. Would probably still be playing now but my brother kicked me off the Xbox.
    I've just had an eventful quarter of an hour on the plains of Whiterun:

I'm running along to a bandit encampment to kill some guys with Lydia on my not very combat adept thief, I'm sneaking as i'm close but I keep being told I'm detected, however nothing is near me at all.

Then a dragon swoops over as it passes me it breathes fire at something in the distance, and I'm like hah more loot for me after this.
    As the dragon turns back to attack me I see it in fact decided to attack a giant, also the giant is close enough to decide that whilst the dragon is strafing back and forth overhead that Lydia and I are better targets.

Lydia proves him right by not running away and getting smacked down. I jump to some rocks for safety so I can't be reached and watch as the giant starts to turn away to run back to his mammoths, then Lydia recovers physically but not it seems mentally as her first act is to start firing arrows at the retreating giant.

Needless to say Lydia ends up flying a million feet into the air not too long after this, I decide she can look after herself and go to fight the dragon in the bandit camp.

The fight with the dragon goes swimmingly as the bandits soak up a lot of damage, I gain a soul everything is great.

I decide to go sell the bones, however 'can't travel there is an enemy about'
    ???
    Turns out Lydia has lured the giant into the camp and so a short battle involving much sprinting up and down stairs with pauses for arrow firing ensues.

Finally the giant dies, loot and map to sell!
    'Can't travel with enemies'
    Again?
    Then a hit squad of hired thugs charge in and knock out Lydia.
    I scrabble through my inventory looking for anything useful left (Why do I even have a Potion of Heavy Armour?) I use a scroll of hysteria, and send the thugs running, I give chase and kill one with impunity.
    Unfortunately by that time the effect has worn off, and the others have knocked Lydia down again, I'm being charged by two thus and my thief is as said earlier not very combat adept.

I remember I just got a Dragon Soul and put it to good use learning the first word of Fire Breath, I test it on the Thugs and finally I can loot and get to the safety of Whiterun...
    ..until I check the bounty to find that a Whiterun Guard had ordered the hit.
    One of my files has a bounty of over twenty thousand in Solitude.
    I don't even have a bounty :/

I assume he was annoyed at me stealing from him, or however the contracts work.
    So I've put in about eight hours so far. My character is a level 10 Drow. Sneaky, good-ish with a bow and 1-handed weapons, has some magic. Just killed my first non-storyline dragon.

Just visited High Hrothgar, because I wanted to learn about shouts before I got too sidetracked. Which even that was hard, because I kept getting distracting by caves or bandits or catching butterflies.

Also, I fucking hate Frost Trolls.
    110 hours here.

Also, dark elves here aren't called Drow. They're Dunmer :P

Frost Trolls are easier once you get better shouts.
    >be thinking "Don't type drow"
    >tell fingers to type "Dunmer"
    >fingers type "Drow"

Right now, I have two words of Intimidating Shout, one of Whirlwind Sprint, and one of Frost Breath.
    Do you want me to tell you what questline to do to get Fire Breath at the earliest possible point?

BTW, which side are you taking in the war?
    I swear, when I know the terms like Dunmer vs Drow, the more I think about not accidentally typing the wrong one, the more likely I am to typo the wrong one in.

I haven't committed yet, but I was going to side with the rebels.

And yeah, that would be helpful.
    The first major quest with the companions gets you a word of it.

And yeah, go with the rebels. The empire sucks.
    They tried to chop my head off. :V
    Believe it or not, that's one of the more minor reasons not to like them.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    When I get this game, remind me to be the contrarian asshole who sides with the Empire.