If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

My Little Pony: Friendship Just Bugs Me

Comments

• edited 2011-10-18 12:19:21
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    IF I CAN'T FIND A FRIENDSHIP PROBLEM, I'LL JUST MAKE A FRIENDSHIP PROBLEM *twitch twitch*
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I just watched the beginning of that episode that Don or whoever linked, and...yeah, I really don't see the appeal of this show.

On the other hand, ^ is causing ROFL.
  • You mean Insanity Addict? And if you're going to check out a show, can't you be assed to watch the full episode? The best parts are in the second half, anyway.

inb4 "moving the goalposts"

That said, if you didn't like this one, you might not like any of them. Unless you have a preference for DAAWWW or musicals or adventure narratives.
    Well, it's more like, yes, it can be a fine, well-written magical world slice-of-life show, but to me that's all it is.  I don't especially like the character concepts or designs, and if that and the other parts of episodes I've seen before are correct, it seems to be just a good-quality western cartoon show aimed primarily at children, whose only big distinctions are that it stars a cast of all-female ponies and describes life and adventures in their magical fairy-tale-like setting and there are an inexplicably large number of associated memes.  That by itself doesn't really appeal to me.
  • >an inexplicably large number of associated memes

This be really the only reason I watch the show. I love me some remix culture.

• edited 2011-10-18 18:35:01

That's right, soak it up.
  • edited 2011-10-18 18:36:31
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Awesome stuff like this is why I love it, almost more than the show itself.

....I would get ninja'd by something like that, wouldn't I.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    What the fuck, Forzare, that was awesome.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Isn't it, though?

It's one of my favorite pony-related things ever.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsS-ZH38nTU

Probably has already been posted in other threads, but cannot be reposted enough.

• $80+ per session
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    It's hard to believe that a topic created to complain about pony sex has become the general pony topic.
    No one can hate for long in the presence of ponies.

LOVE AND TOLERANCE, BITCH
    The next step is obvious then...

Fire all Orbital Friendship Cannons at Juan!
  • edited 2011-10-18 19:36:46
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    FIRE THE NUCLEAR RAINBOOM @JUAN_CARLOS

• You can change. You can.
    Pfft, bronies thinking they can harm me

Come to think of it, there's a possibility that the popularity of MLP amongst raegy internet geeks is a sort of counter-reaction against the whole idea of excessive negativity as both a comedic device and a social status device, so in a stealth parody of it, we see embracing of something that was once thoroughly ridiculed.
    I think part of it might be as a reaction to overwhelming negativity everywhere else but I think most bronies genuinely enjoy the show and the fandom. They aren't doing it as a stealth parody.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-10-18 19:50:48
    Well, the initial explosion was a reactionary jab at a notoriously idiotic Complaining About Shows You Don't Watch review of the series.  Since then though, it's felt more like people who have been overloaded on negativity for a very long time have found a palatable source of Zoloft and latched the fuck onto it.  It's kind of heartening.

The fact that the creators welcomed that periphery with open arms, offer subtle crumbs to them, and keep in touch with them is a massive bonus.
    That and the show IS legitimately funny and is rife with memefodder doesn't hurt either.
    ^^, ^ These.
    That and the show IS legitimately funny and is rife with memefodder doesn't hurt either.

I've sat through Dragonshy and the pilot and I've yet to see why this is particularly amusing. Any more than any run of the mill western cartoon, anyway.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-10-18 20:07:39
    Meh.  It'll resonate differently given tastes.

WELCOME TO EVERYTHING EVER.

Really though, the whole Magneto thing was one of the more playfully open things I've seen from cartoon staff.  Usually they're hella seclusive.
  • I know one person who doesn't like this show.

It was more the "Legitimately funny" comment that made me go, "If this is legitimately funny, then why can't I enjoy it? Am I dumb or something?"
  • edited 2011-10-27 22:07:03
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    See the thing is, when I decided to watch it, I was expecting rainbow-encrusted girly crap. I was pleasantly surprised to find out it wasn't nearly a girly as I thought, and seemed to be aware that it was expected to be like that. It were the little jokes I didn't expect that really made stick with the show, and (the non-terrible parts of) the fandom and memes is what kept me going.

The point I'm making is that it's an expectations thing. I was expecting to hate it, and dismiss this another random cutesy thing that nerds somehow liked, but ended up liking it. If you're going in expecting some masterpiece, then you'll probably be disappointed.
    Well, my expectations were not high either. Specially when it came down to a third chance (I just have to keep trying because something is resonating and I need to understand it, you know?)

So low expectations isn't it. And even if it was, I'd argue that's barely a reason to talk so much about a show (Oh, hey, this show isn't shitty! :D

None of the memes have made me go "Oh lol" so far either. And I quite enjoy memes from fandoms I do not belong in (Homestuck) 

so...i don't even know, i guess. I'm probably some sort of grumpy fucker.