If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

My Little Pony: Friendship Just Bugs Me

Comments

• Actually, I'm pretty sure the First IJBM got trashed was because it invited complaining, and that's strictly a no-no when it comes to tvtropes.
  • (Meh. Goddamn sirens wont let me sleep.)

Dantes, lighten up and calm down. You're taking this and yourself way too seriously. I'm honestly not trying to debate you, I've just been teasing, and from the way you're behaving it's making me start to think it was a mistake to expect you to both clue in and be a good sport about it.

And since your reactions here are communicating to me that you have difficulty receiving messages that aren't literal, I'll just go ahead and state outright that I don't think there's anything especially wrong with American art.
  • edited 2011-10-12 03:58:39
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    > post a three line burn
    > Dantes throws a multi-post shitfit

• They're somethin' else.
    Unwarranted Butthurt

Vs.

Dickless image macros shitposting

HEAVEN OR HELL

DUEL 1

LETS ROCK!

• no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    Dantes, lighten up and calm down. You're taking this and yourself way too seriously. I'm honestly not trying to debate you, I've just been teasing, and from the way you're behaving it's making me start to think it was a mistake to expect you to both clue in and be a good sport about it.

First of all Gelzo, what the fuck are you getting upset about? All I said to you was:

"Okay then, what would you have chosen?"

"Okay, that's not a bad picture or anything, but... the only statement it makes as a representative of American artwork is "hey look, America can do anime too! Aren't we a bunch of good little copycats?"

Mine, at least, showed that Americans are capable of creating well-drawn and powerful images of a style uniquely their own."

"Gelzo, why are you talking to Princess Celestia?"

Yes clearly these are such mean utterances that I should've considered more carefully.

If this were just me and you, and if MadassAlex and Counterclock had kept their traps shut, everything would've been fine. But nope, they had to come in fists-swinging. Naturally, that makes me the bad guy. Naturally. I'm sorry if you thought my calling them out on being passive-aggressive dipshits was somehow aimed at you, but, really, Context Clues man.

And since your reactions here are communicating to me that you have difficulty receiving messages that aren't literal,

Or rather, you need to learn how to communicate.

If its clear that the other dude is trying to have a serious discussion and you follow with a joke image when asked a serious question, then yes, dude is gonna fucking think you're serious. That's just common sense. I mean, I know, someone is gonna follow up and say "Well I knew it was a joke!" but such people are few and far between and probably have the advantage of knowing you well--an advantage I don't have.

And you need to put effort into making humor work in text. That's why Maddox switched to making videos (and he even points out the shortcomings of text in one of them).

Actually, I'm pretty sure the First IJBM got trashed was because it invited complaining, and that's strictly a no-no when it comes to tvtropes.

That was one of the reasons. But I recall forum infighting, the passive-aggressive cliques and a lot of general forum drama being a problem too. Fast Eddie's actual words on the subject were "A lot of problems come out of IJBM. Easily half the moderation work. The ugly half, at that. All the mods have talked it over a bit and are in agreement that it is the cause of trouble, not the victim of it."
  • I see where this is headed and I have no interest in participating.
  • edited 2011-10-12 05:09:22
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    It also helps that whatever "joke" you were making was not terribly clever or funny.

Which on this forum, doesn't surprise me.

This is why you are the bad guy, Dantes.

Before anything untoward even started, you were the demons being backhanded and condescending. It's not enough that you disregarded the joke; you disregarded its intentions and behaved poorly, as if it were still insulting. Then you commented upon the userbase at large.

I don't care what you think about me personally, but it speaks volumes that while lacking respect for the userbase at large, you expect to be respected back.

You've got an awful attitude and awful conduct, and that doesn't change no matter how much you dress it up in text.
  • American nor Japanese art is a monolith, and both have shitty trends in them, but it's not always correct to embed them in a cultural psyche and use those trends to make statements about the population.

And the guy blowing a gasket did get egged on by the rest, but I hope we can spare this thread. This is a fun thread.

Rerailing to respond to a post a page back: the reason I find the animu style fit less is that it oftens transplants the feel to either grimdark and gritty or overly sugary moe moe clichés, which is hard to pull of even if the formal aspects of the art are all in order(though it can be done well, see: http://ponibooru.413chan.net/post/view/26366?search=japanese. American-style humanization often still retains the slice-of-life feel of the series, and is thus a tad easier even when the quality is a tad less.

• no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    but it speaks volumes that while lacking respect for the userbase at large, you expect to be respected back.

I never asked for your respect. I don't need it, and honestly being "respected" by certain members would make me feel violated.

What I do ask, and have asked again and again, is this:

1. Don't start shitposting if you're not interested in a serious discussion. It's annoying for the people who are actually interested.

2. Attack the point, not the person making it.

So far most members of this forum have proven incapable of doing either one. In fact I'm pretty much the only member here who regularly adhere's to both. This entire forum, however, acts like it would rather talk about how fucking evil I am (something the mods have stepped in to put a stop to before, mind you) than actually discuss anything. I am morally justified in my behavior.

Speaking of moral justifications, your attempt to channel the Get-Along Gang and give me a "be a better person" speech would've come off as a lot more sincere if you had done it before snark-posting and image-macroing. As it is, it comes off like you're trying to get morality points for when the mods inevitably come and break us up.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    In fact I'm pretty much the only member here who regularly adhere's to
    both. This entire forum, however, acts like it would rather talk about
    how fucking evil I am (something
    the mods have stepped in to put a stop to before, mind you) than actually discuss anything. I am morally justified in my behavior.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeFU2J6g13w&feature=channel_video_title

Mentally Abridged series finally has an update. Now with insert songs.

• edited 2011-10-12 09:52:58
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Well, this is a fine time to have to break something up.

@MoeDantes: Your attitude in this thread is well beyond what I'm willing to deal with. Watch yourself, or I'll ban you right here and now, mod discussions be damned.

@EveryoneElse: Cut it out with the condescending image macros. If you thought Dantes was a problem, you should've just flagged the thread like one person thought to.

EDIT: Oh, look, this discussion happened a couple hours ago. I feel kinda silly. But only kinda. I still mean what I said above.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Again, shit happens after I go to bed.  I'm blaming my mom for trying to shift me to an in-bed-by-midnight schedule.  Fortunately, we have other mods, in multiple time zones.
  • I now officially regret complaining about the pony sex. At least it isn't serious business like THE ANIMATION WARS!

Which would probably be a good title for a cartoon itself.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Actually I kinda prefer animation wars over pony sex.

Speaking of which, that reminds me how in the Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright game, the PW characters come with their own art style, the PL characters come with their own art style, and all the other characters have a third art style.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    what the sweet jesus happened here

^ I like that. It's better than changing one of the characters, and it gives the world less bias.
  • @IA's link: I like how the unicorns are the ones with pole weapons. Subtle.
  • edited 2011-10-12 19:57:44
    -skims through this page-

WTF am I reading?
  • edited 2011-10-15 14:20:33
    Diet NEET

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3F49D1WiQ4

New episode's in, although you might want to wait for better quality(Edit: better quality is in). Bonkers Twilight seems a little too much like wanting to repeat the succes of Party of One, and the episode has a feel to it as if the creators are trying to force-meme. Not that the quality suffers, though.

• I thought it was fantastic. It was noticeably more cartoony than the other episodes, at least the non-Pinkie stuff, but I don't count that as a bad thing.

I wonder how long it will be before I notice out of context screencaps of this episode made to have it look like Twilight is a pedophile and Big Mac is getting swarmed by ladies. 

Also dat train in the opening. Hasbro must be trying to move some product with that.

And just so I can post with content, here's a blog that has translations of comments from Nico Nico uploads of MLP. http://maxiburger.tumblr.com/post/11283534618/what-japan-thinks-of-mlp01

I laughed out loud at some of it...
  • “furry version precure-like huh”

“more like k-on”

Nuuuuuuuuuu~!  It's nothing like those!  If it were, I'd actually like it!

• Who cares what Dyre likes anyway . troll-face
  • To understate, Dyre's tastes differ from mine.

But I've seen K-On!, and I know that there are more than zero similarities.
  • edited 2011-10-18 02:35:47
    Eh.  I don't think there are really enough similarities to really matter.  In any case, I certainly don't see how it's anything like Precure, other than meta things like how both are shows made for young girls that have large fandoms of teenage/young adult/adult males.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    >>I wonder how long it will be before I notice out of context screencaps of this episode made to have it look like Twilight is a pedophile

She looked like a pedophile in context. Dat scene with the Cutie Mark Crusaders.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    HAAAIII GIRRRRLZZZ...
  • I HAVE TOYS.
  • Yeah Twi was kinda going Brian Peppers there.
  • edited 2011-10-18 12:09:57
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I love how "nnnnope" is a thing now too.