If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I am not ready to quit TV Tropes yet

Comments

• What's Leechblocking?
  • For chrome users, use Chrome Nanny. And what does trope newcasting mean. 
  • So anyways, did anyone find my "meta humor" in this thread funny?

I mean, linking to past posts to represent the number of people who don't even bother readying and then parrot out the phrases?

Or that pretend Troper Tale I made, how about that, do I have mind reading powers or what?
  • Poot dispenser here
    Apparently, Eddie meant adding tropes to newscasting stuff or something like that.
  • You can change. You can.
    We have tropes about news broadcasts, apparently. 

• Poot dispenser here
    I think I'll just read the thread from now on and wait for the Crowner to end.

Note that I'm not promising that, though.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    So anyways, did anyone find my "meta humor" in this thread funny?

I mean, linking to past posts to represent the number of people who don't even bother readying and then parrot out the phrases?

TBH, Clocky, I've been skimming your posts.
    @Counterclock: Your TT made me laugh. Although it feels like a stab in the gut reading it now, it still amuses me.
  • edited 2011-08-09 23:12:35
    I stand on Grendel's shoulders
    Making decisions based on a vote supermajority over strength of argument was a dumb idea in the first place.
  • Making decisions based on a vote supermajority over strength of argument was a dumb idea in the first place.
    Q-F-fucking-T.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^^Marry me, Anne.
  • Poot dispenser here
    Anne speaks the truth.
    Part of me wants to agree, the other doesn't, for a variety of reasons.

I feel that many of us wouldn't be saying much of this stuff if we were losing and moderation were applying the same undermining to the opposing side...>_>
    Wait, but we're winning... and saying popular vote is silly...
  • Poot dispenser here
    Yeah, but the ratio is hovering just slightly above 2:1.
    We're winning, but the rate things are going...well, yeah. 
  • edited 2011-08-09 23:21:45
    I don't know. I'm not sure if I'd prefer voting to be disregarded entirely, but it's incredibly stupid to overrule strong arguments and a majority vote just because it doesn't meet the arbitrary ratio of 2:1.
    ^^Okay, fair enough... but if we were definitively winning, I feel we'd still say it's because our side had the right arguments. If we were losing, we'd complain about how our reasons were more right.

Either way, we feel rightness is on out side.
  • edited 2011-08-09 23:24:35
    CA:

Yeah, I agree.

The supermajority ratio should only be consulted if there's a difficulty identifying the stronger side of an argument.

Regarding rightness: Well, we are only human.
  • edited 2011-08-09 23:25:49
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^Yeah, 'we are only human' was kind of my point.

Edit: Man, this Crow avatar makes things look a lot more snarky than I mean them to.
  • Poot dispenser here
    Really, over 200-300 people have voted on this. I think that we can settle for majority at this point.
    I don't know. I'm not sure if I'd prefer voting to be disregarded entirely, but it's incredibly stupid to overrule strong arguments and a majority vote just because it doesn't meet the arbitrary ratio of 2:1.

Pretty much how I feel, actually. I don't want to disregard voting because I feel that if we just let this to the higher ups, Eddie and Madrugada would do some admin fiat, and I'm definetly not cool with that. 

And I don't think that bobby, fighteer and ironeye would be happy with that. One of them would at least leave.
  • edited 2011-08-09 23:48:15
    I guarantee that the entirety of TT takes less money to serve up than any
    10% of the pointlessly huge avatar libraries people keep. We host those
    just for fun, too. This isn't a financial decision.

He brings up a good point about the avatar galleries.
    I wasn't aware money was on the table as an issue. Granted I haven't really been following the issue.
  • edited 2011-08-09 23:51:10
    You can change. You can.
    But I like those. -_-

Personally, they're not that necessary, but whatever. 

^I'm guessing it's because TT generates some ad revenue. Specially as it is now our...most visited namespace.
  • Poot dispenser here
    I'll give him that.
  • FE has just said it isn't an issue, since apparently some people's avatar libraries are bigger than the whole TT section itself. Is this true?
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^Yep. I think a few people have over 10,000.

I've always been shocked that this is allowed.
    ^^^Oh... well that is a significant defense for it from a cynical standpoint if so.
  • edited 2011-08-09 23:55:00
    ^^ My understanding is that the main issue with the avatar galleries isn't server space, but the cost of the bandwidth for loading a thousand images at once...which is why the galleries are paginated now.
This discussion has been closed.