If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I want to join Something Awful now

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Hey, IJBM, quit discussing the origin of the spergin smiley and give us your opinions on tropers making light novels.

No.

Well, I don't really care. They can go over there and do whatever they say they want to. I refuse to get involved.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    quit discussing the origin of the spergin smiley and give us your opinions on tropers making light novels.

They better be good. I would also prefer if they did not use Tsundere character archetypes, or chekov tropes in a "realistic" story. Not only that, I hope they don't turn a pseudofan fic into a light novel.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    "Hey, IJBM, quit discussing the origin of the spergin smiley and give us your opinions on tropers making light novels."

I feel like any light novel project tropers attempt will fall apart due to lack of people actually willing to invest time into making it.
  • It completely fails to interest me. Or disgust me. Or annoy me. I don't really have any emotion at all on the whole thing.

This, on the other hand, was a horrible, horrible thread idea.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > Hey, IJBM, quit discussing the origin of the spergin smiley and give us your opinions on tropers making light novels.

They do?
  • It's just some internet project that will probably fall apart eventually. It just happens to be really anime.

It might be creepier than that, but I don't know, I haven't really looked at thread.
  • edited 2011-08-06 12:21:26
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13109352250A33300100&page=0

I think that it apparently lacks focus or something.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Of course it's really anime. It's also probably really cliched. You can't make a compelling story just by stringing together some tropes you like. 
  • edited 2011-08-06 12:28:41
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^You can make a skeleton of a story like that. But the real thing needs a sort of depth that tropes alone can't bring.
  • edited 2011-08-06 13:17:49
    You can change. You can.
    Link?

wait, nvm
  • So does anyone know this Hidden-faced Matt guy they're talking about right now?

If this is breaking the rules, feel free to thump it, mods.
  • edited 2011-08-06 13:40:56
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Not a clue. I don't know most of the people they talk about because I don't read Troper Tales anymore.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    I've always wondered what's the diference between light novels and regular ones.

• edited 2011-08-06 14:20:00
    > Hey, IJBM, quit discussing the origin of the spergin smiley and give us your opinions on tropers making light novels.

But, as has been pointed out elsewhere, they're not actually making anything. They're just going on about how super awesome cool the concept is in their heads, and how neat it would be if it were real, as evidenced (or not?) by its imaginary listing of tropes.

@nohaynicklibre: A light novel has illustrations placed at the beginning of chapters.
  • You can change. You can.
    So...Harry Potter is a light novel, then? :p
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Do things that there aren't tropes for. Like forgiving the Complete Monster.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    @Engrish_Ivy: I thought the distinction went further than that. Like how Light Novels are deliberately written in a way that makes it easy to read to a layperson (forgoing more complex/obscure Kanji in favor of more conventional ones).

Though once you translated into English that distinction can no longer exist and they just become regular books.
  • "Hey, IJBM, quit discussing the origin of the spergin smiley and give us your opinions on tropers making light novels."

I think they need to have more tropes like Nakama and more subtext.
  • I thought Light Novels were less "These books are written completely differently from other books" and more "These are books that are officially published as 'Light Novels'".

• Woki mit deim Popo.
    What's the point?  Isn't Nakama a discredited term now?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I think it's stupid that they feel the need to publish them specifically as Light Novels, considering that LNs aren't even a thing outside of Japan, but I think everyone has an idea for a story that, in a perfect world, they could write and sell.
  • Well that's what I meant, nothing written outside of Japan would be considered a "Light Novel" because Japan is the only place that uses it as a publishing term.
  • You can change. You can.
    My problem with it is simply the fact that it represents my problem with most TvTropes writers. I.E: the idea that tropes solve everything writer related. 
  • Inside, too dark to read
    Tropes are treated like Lego pieces: when playing with them, it's assumed that settings, plots and characters will be constructed entirely of them.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    brb committing ritual seppuku
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Yes because everything nerds like is objectively trash and they're pretentiously trying to say otherwise.

Okay the second part is sometimes true but that article seems to be primarily bashing the Star Wars sequels and The Dark Knight anyway.
  • #3 is definitely a problem. :(
  • http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3411591&pagenumber=142#lastpost

This seems rather hyperbolic.

Granted, so did the thread they're talking about.
  • They're all problems in their own right,

But really, Geek Culture isn't alone with those problems.