If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Twilight

Comments

• edited 2011-07-11 17:44:18
    You can change. You can.
     Can Mike keep going with a twisted and broken neck? 

Actually, yes.

He would be nothing more than a disease that has the chance to kill you if you don't take precautions against it.

That doesn't make much sense, does it? Comparing a disease with a man who can't be stopped or prevented. Which is, you know, the point of halloween. 
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Mainly because horror protagonists are some of the most fucking retarded people ever.

Badly written horror protagonists are some of the most fucking retarded people ever..

Badly written characters in general are some of the most fucking retarded people ever.
  • You can change. You can.
    Yes, but admittedly, it tends to happen quite a lot in horror.
  • edited 2011-07-11 17:45:49
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^I guess.

This thread is making me want to start writing again.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Hay guise letys split up in this abandoned haunted house in a theme park built on a graveyard.
    Yo dawg, i herd you liked abandoned everythings, so i put an abandoned haunted house in a theme park on top of a graveyard so you can be spooked while scared while buried. 
  • "That
    doesn't make much sense, does it? Comparing a disease with a man who
    can't be stopped or prevented. Which is, you know, the point of
    halloween. "

But Juan, nothing that he could do could surprise you, is what I'm trying to capitalize on.

If you understand him, then you can predict his movements, know where he's gonna be, know where he's gonna show up.

Without the unknown, he really just is a disease, Something that would only kill you if you gave him the opportunity to do so.
  • edited 2011-07-11 17:49:06
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Yo dawg, i herd you liked abandoned everythings, so i put an abandoned
    haunted house in a theme park on top of a graveyard so you can be
    spooked while scared while buried. 

HORRORCEPTION
    But Juan, nothing that he could do could surprise you, is what I'm trying to capitalize on. 

Surprise does not necesarilly make for fear. Dread and anticipation does. 

If you understand him, then you can predict his movements, know where he's gonna be, know where he's gonna show up.

Yes, and you can evade those places, but then, he will adapt and change to your new knowledge.

Without the unknown, he really just is a disease, Something that would only kill you if you gave him the opportunity to do so. 

True, but then, he is smart enough to make you give him the opportunity. 
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    At the most base level, I can fight Mike because I can and he's just a man.

The monster you cannot fight and cannot comprehend, that's the stronger one.

Besides, Alien would totally kick Myers' ass.
  • God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.

It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will
    not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies
    but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know
    your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.
    ~ Sun Tzu.

Those are two quotes that I think fit my line of thinking on this whole issue Juan :3
    At the most base level, I can fight Mike because I can and he's just a man. 

But you can't kill him. Yet he can kill you. He doesn't get tired. He doesn't sweat. He doesn't stop. You, however, can stop, you can get tired. You can die. He can't. So you see...right there.

The monster you cannot fight and cannot comprehend, that's the stronger one.

For you to be unable to fight him he has to be...well, that magical word I've said for the last hour, I think.
  • No rainbow star
    I just want to say while skipping over all conversation that Twilight isn't bad per say

It's just completely average (maybe a bit below average) and something that should only be found on the bottom of a bargain bin, not getting a ton of praise
  • "But
    you can't kill him. Yet he can kill you. He doesn't get tired. He
    doesn't sweat. He doesn't stop. You, however, can stop, you can get
    tired. You can die. He can't. So you see...right there."

Through the magical power of editing.

"But
    you can't kill Lung Cancer. Yet Lung Cancer can kill you. Lung Cancer doesn't get tired. Lung Cancer
    doesn't sweat. Lung Cancer doesn't stop. You, however, can stop, you can get
    tired. You can die. Lung Cancer can't. So you see...right there."

Juan, why are the movies fun to watch then? if the outcome is always gonna be "Michael kills everyone because he's invincible" ?
    Does he have invincible bones or something? I could conceivably separate him into pieces and lock them away separately.

To use the running examples, though, I can fight Mike, even if I can't win. But I can't even begin to fight the Alien. There's a huge difference, especially when it comes to how an audience perceives a conflict.
    But you see, that's my point then, you fear the alien not just because something you don't know, but because it's something impossible.

Juan, why are the movies fun to watch then? if the outcome is always gonna be "Michael kills everyone because he's invincible" ?

1) >Implying that Halloween is fun to watch beyond the first part.

2) Because there's a solution, it's just that it's not one of the ones so far proposed.
  • Solution?

Huh, stop pulling these things out of your Magicians Ass Hat
  • >"BAWW VAMPIRES ARE RUINED FOREVER!"

BAWWW I CAN'T HANDLE INTERNET PEOPLE

The unknowable is what I fear much more than the impossibility of fighting it. I can't even begin to imagine what it thinks or how it observes or whatever. I can't even guess at what basic sensory data it's paying attention to.

That and the extraterrestrial rapey life-cycle.
  • Ok, let me back up a bit then.

"
    Surprise does not necesarilly make for fear. Dread and anticipation does. "

Why are you dreading him? for all intents and purposes, you know enough about him to get away / Not put yourself in a situation to be easily caught by him.

If you're being chased by him, and you know what he can do, you're going to prepare for him, and when you're prepared, you're not going to dread or fear him.

"Yes, and you can evade those places, but then, he will adapt and change to your new knowledge."

Juan, that's the unknown then, when I don't know what he's going to do.

Definition: Unknown.

Noun: An unknown person or thing.
    Adjective: Not known or familiar.

"True, but then, he is smart enough to make you give him the opportunity. "

Just read the above reply.
    If you're being chased by him, and you know what he can do, you're going to prepare for him, and when you're prepared, you're not going to dread or fear him.

Because...

he will adapt and change to your new knowledge.

Juan, that's the unknown then, when I don't know what he's going to do.

I never said that the unstoppable and the unknown are mutually exclusive, you know.
    Mike's knowledge falls under human restrictions. He can only adapt insofar as he makes observations, and we can also continue to adapt. For all his semi-invulnerability, he is still bound by human limitations.
  • edited 2011-07-11 18:28:00
    Belief
    ^ This.

• This reminds me of a play we wrote in Theater Arts IV. Morning of the Thirteenth: Malvolio's Revenge or What To Do About It. Malvolio and the ghost of Feste got in this very debate on what is scary.
  • edited 2011-07-11 18:29:25
    You can change. You can.
    Exactly, this makes it attrittion warfare. And well, the man who doesn't get tired tends to have an advantage on that one.
  • Madass: So having a Mary Sue Monster kill the (bumfuck retarded, mind you) protagonists is any better?
  • Really, He can't be all that smart.

He's a seemingly invincible demi-god and the most he wants to do is slaughter teenage baby-sitters?

Hell, I have more fear of the very mortal humans who want to control countries over this chump.
  • edited 2011-07-11 18:32:12
    You can change. You can.
    I don't think Mary Sue is the word you're looking for, old chum.

^Not unjustifiable in the slightest.
  • edited 2011-07-11 18:33:48
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    But Mike is still just one man with crude, inefficient fighting methods who targets the weak and helpless.

Even if he keeps getting up, better people can keep putting him down.

At worst, move to somewhere overseas. Let's see him try to walk through the Pacific ocean without being trapped by water pressure or being eaten by the earth.

Or sharks.

^^^ Monsters can only be Mary-Sues insofar as you see them as obstacles meant to be overcome. That's not always the case. Assuming the protagonists are stupid doesn't help your argument, considering that stupid horror protagonists are mostly within the realm of teen slasher films.
  • Boring Invincible Hero or Villain Sue.