If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Twilight

edited 2011-07-11 09:03:28 in General
Mexican fag
Why does it make so many people go "BAWW VAMPIRES ARE RUINED FOREVER!"? Yes, it is badly written. Yes, it is a complete bastardization of everything vampire. But Priest was both of those too, and you don't hear people bitching about how Priest ruined the entire vampire genre.

But seriously, vampire hives?

Comments

• Woki mit deim Popo.
    Priest, are you talking about the movie or the manhwa?
  • edited 2011-07-11 09:05:26
    Mexican fag
    Movie.

There's a Korean comic/manhwa? Huh.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I haven't even heard of Priest.

But Twilight is defining this narrative generation of vampires. Which sucks.
  • edited 2011-07-11 09:09:33
    Woki mit deim Popo.
    Yeah, the movie is based on the manhwa.  The thing is that main character fights demons not vampires.  I believe it's being scanlated right now.

^ Defining vampire movies of my generation are The Lost Boys and Fright Night.
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    It's easy to pick on because it is so badly written.
  • a little muffled
    Twilight stole the idea of vampires from this unfinished novel on my hard drive, trufax.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Priest is not extremely popular.

Give how I just learned that Priest is a manhwa, I agree with Cygan.

Also, Twilight is what happens when a person, who probably doesn't read much or doesn't understand what he/she has read, actually writes a book.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Because Priest doesn't have hordes of screeching fangirls singing praises for it all the time.
    Though if Priest did, I'm sure they would be the kinds of fangirls that would beat up the Twilight fangirls.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Yes, it is a complete bastardization of everything vampire.

How? aside from the sparkling part, I think it pretty much made them on the same levels as it's werewolf counterparts in terms of survival. In other movies vampires die when shot with a silver bullet, have a tendency to explode or ash at even the most simplest application of it's weakness (Which are all questionable to begin with...seriously). These vampires have to be ripped apart piece by piece and then burned in order to die, which is equivalent to destroying it's body with a rocket launcher and then burning the pieces with a flamethrower. The older vampires were laughably weak to fucking everything as a trade-off for their ability to teleport/move really fast, seduce women and shapeshift (if it's a strigoi, and not a moroi).

I think if Stephanie Meyer didn't write this book as a romance story Vampires would catch on to this and actually become better over time instead of sulking as shitty video game enemies.
  • sort of related but this reminds me of a Dracula video game I wanted to make.
  • You can change. You can.
    The only thing that ruined vampires was Buffy and howw it made evey single one of them except for two useless pieces of shit.
    Re: Vorpy

The issue is never what particular powers a vampire has. It's how they're depicted and written. The Twilight vampires are bad simply because they don't exist to provide tension, they exist as schlick material for adolescent girls. Usually, a monster is used as a villain of some kind to provide tension and for good reason. Meyer's predictable writing coupled with obvious knowledge of her objective end up preventing her books or vampires from having any impact for exactly the same reasons as one-another.

Contrast Dracula, where the titular monster's powers are never made completely clear, nor are his weaknesses or motivations. In that book, we have a vague idea of what Dracula is but we can't say much for sure. We rarely know where he is at any given moment. It's unsettling. Not because Dracula is super-powerful, but because we can't know.
  • When you spell something out, you usually can't play it for Horror.

-nods sagely-
    [Insert gushing about Midnight here]
  • And I'll continue to mention Daybreakers in every thread about vampires.  Mostly because this scene was hilarious.  (and gory, so... NSFW)

• Alex a few notes

1. eponymous not titular.

2. That was certainly one of the novels strong sui8ts i'm considering writing a prequel to Dracula and i'm skeptical of whether to give Dracula's point of view for this very reason.
  • If you want it to be horror, don't give Dracula the point of view, because then you have to at least vaguely start defining his motives and his powers.

With human perspectives, you can make it seem like Dracula is doing anything he wants, even though you as the writer know that's not true.
  • Genre is har dto place right now it's a minimalist story wi th a very narrow scope and the general plot is Start of Darkness. How he became a vampire, an idea of who he was before, et cetera. also maybe some past experience with the ancestors of the heroes to lend more credence to his "revenge".
  • edited 2011-07-11 16:28:07
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Well... Dracula is the monster, and it's also the title of the book. Unless I am a really horrible reader.

Prequels to monster stories rarely work that well, simply because horror. Perhaps unless it was about Vlad Tepes' slow corruption into Dracula from the perspective of one of his generals or something.
  • He's not going to be Vlad Tepes. he's going to be Atilla the Hun at the very latest and Amala (Gothic folk hero) is also a possibility. based on lines presented in the original novel. As well the story takes place  within the confines of the Scholomance.
    In the novel, Dracula is proud to have the blood of Atilla in his veins, claiming to be a descendant.

So making him Atilla would slightly contradict the novel. Making him Vlad might be predictable, but it also opens up a sort of high-Medieval/Renaissance setting, too.
  • "With human perspectives, you can make it seem like Dracula is doing anything he wants, even though you as the writer know that's not true. "

You know, this is an example of Bad Writing.
  • No, it's an example of horror.
    You can do whatever the fuck you want in fiction as long as you have the skills to pull it off.
  • Then I'm not a big fan of horror, it seems.

I don't like it when a story never wraps things up. Things can he not revealed, but if they aren't wrapped up by the end...
    When you say "Wrapped up" you mean "No Ending", right?

Because if so, then you're missing the point.
    We don't need to know anything about the monster at the end of a work.

What's relevant is the characters and how they interpret the monster.