If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Minecraft

Comments

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Man, I haven't played Minecraft in so long, all this stuff just flew right past me.
  • As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    The new boosters do a bunch of stuff the old glitch ones don't... Also, redstone circuits are a supported feature, booster carts never were.
  • @Vorpy: Sure, the new boosters might be more efficient (maybe), but that doesn't make them more fun. I mean, a rubegoldberg machine could be a lot more simple and effective, but doing so would lessen its delightfulness.
  • "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    Personally, I think the booster tracks allow for more freedom than glitch boosters ever could, in terms of intricacy. For starters, they can be controlled-- (de)activated remotely or automatically, without most of the unpredictability.
  • As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    The new booster tracks can be used as brakes, stops, to build non-pez cart dispensers, to control the flow of carts with redstone, to set up rollercoasters including top-of-the-hill brakes, and more. They're simply vastly better than the old booster cart glitch.
  • Even if they are better, what's the point of "fixing" the old glitch? Couldn't Notch have used that time to add new stuff instead of getting rid of something that wasn't really hurting anything?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Your just angry because your giant double-rail track is now obsolete and you have to remove all of the un-needed parallel rails.
  • I've never even built a minecart. I'm just e-mad on principle, because nothing Notch does is ever good.
    It's a bug. It caused aberrant game behaviour, might have had performance or stability consequences not immediately apparent, and couldn't be tweaked or balanced. It also resulted in ugly, immersion-shattering structures that didn't follow any sort of internal logic coherent with the game world. People shouldn't have gotten so attached to a glitch.
  • edited 2011-05-27 23:29:26
    Cue-bey
    ^And floating blocks aren't immersion-shattering structures that don't follow any sort of internal logic coherent with the game world? Should notch make gravity apply to everything? Lots of things in minecraft aren't really coherent. Hell, water isn't coherent in minecraft. Should it be "fixed"? Probably not, I think.

All I'm saying is that old boosters weren't causing any immediately obvious problems, and if they were shown to then maybe I could get behind removing them, but as it is I really don't see the point.
    ^ It's part of the game on purpose, not by accident.
  • edited 2011-05-27 23:33:46
    Cue-bey
    So? That hinges entirely on Notch's personal opinions. If he decided "let's roll with it", you could say old boosters had some degree of purposefulness (is that a word) in their existence, but neither of these scenarios is really an argument for keeping/deleting them either way.

Also, just because something is ugly in your opinion doesn't mean it should be removed. I see people build things I consider ugly all the time, but I'm not going to do anything about it.

What I want is a specific argument for removing boosters that explains why they had to be removed once they became obsolete that doesn't hinge upon them being part of a class of occurrences that in general are not good. Just because something is a bug doesn't mean it can't be fun/beneficial.
    Explain to me how the minecart glitches were fun and beneficial first.
  • edited 2011-05-28 01:07:22
    As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    The speed of glitch boosters is the effect of a bug with minecart physics; presumably fixing that glitch also makes minecart physics more robust in general. Also, importantly, there is no way of regulating the max speed of boosted carts without writing code to support it as a feature; therefore they can be unbalancing (By allowing much faster minecarts).

I suspect the minecart code was refactored to some extent and Notch decided that it was easier to just fix the booster cart glitch than turn it into a supported feature. Bugs by definition are behaviours that emerge as side-effects of the intended behaviour of the code; to turn a bug into a supported feature, specific code for it has to be written so that the code that originally produced that behaviour as a side effect can be safely modified in future.

In other words, any complex piece of software is an intricately interrelated system, and unintended behaviours have to be fixed, because otherwise the code becomes unmanageably complex (As you end up with logic that does two or three things at once and thus is basically incredibly brittle). Hence, 'keeping booster carts as they were' even as the rest of the code is being changed around them is in fact more effort than just fixing the bug.
  • edited 2011-05-28 09:35:20
    Cue-bey
    ^^They were absurd.

^okay, I can see that. I've only ever really used a little python and some Java, but I can imagine you'd want to keep the code for a game as clean as possible.

I'll still carry a candle for them, in my heart.
  • You know what'd be awesome? Minecraft land barons.

People buying up large chunks of land in multiplayer servers and paying other players to dig and develop them, and turn them into prime resorts and clear-cut and strip-mine the shit out of the rest of the land.

• edited 2011-05-29 17:45:38
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    what? I didn't know people did that...but it sounds fun and restrictive. I should monopolize more territory on my Minecraft server and do that.
  • edited 2011-05-29 18:12:51

I don't think people actually do that. Be great if they did, though.

I could imagine people digging massive quarries for sand or stone and then, once they're done, covering the hole up with a single layer of blocks. Then they have to put up signs warning people not to dig there lest they fall to their deaths.

• Donzabu: You mean like we already play?:P
  • No rainbow star
    Anybody else annoyed with the bugs in 1.6.x?
  • edited 2011-05-31 17:46:15
    CRIMINAL SCUM!
    Fixing the lighting bug makes up for it all.

The map is less borked then it was...
  • No rainbow star
    Is the tool disappearing when dropped and picked up fixed yet?

That, the lighting bug, and the furnace bug are what worried me the most (well, out of functionality bugs). Because I have a habit of hitting the drop key by accident
  • Yes. It is.
    I am glad that the stairs no longer have that weird ass giant shadow across them.
  • I've developed a new method of mining.

"Chunk" mining.

Find chunk errors. Look for previous ores in the chunk gaps. mark the location of these ores at the surface with torches. Dig straight down. Once you get to the ore, relog and mine all the ore. Then fill the hole.

I have finally come to it.

Mining for Stone is no fun anymore.

Digging and looking for ores is now...tedious.

I am in dire need of a creative mode mod for SSP.
  • Some mods I would look into.
    1. Zombe's mod pack- a general purpose utility mod pack. Containing things like a fly mod, a pseudo creative mod and others. Everything is controlled by config files. 
    2. Too many items, an in game inventory editor.
    3. BuildCraft a mod that is designed to reduce the tedium of large scale projects, requires mod loader.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Get Terraria :P
  • From the Terraria trailer on YouTube:

>2D Games are often better than 3D

Just like 2D girls, amirite?
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Terraria isn't better because it's 2d. Terraria's better because it has a few orders of magnitude more content.