If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Minecraft

edited 2011-05-02 10:25:49 in Media
Patrol Time
For general stuff about minecraft and so we can connect with folks who can't access tropes forums.

Right now we are waiting to see how all the server stuff is going to work out. 

Comments

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Wooohoo! 1.5!

I love the Powered Rails. Other than that, the moderators finally chased of Roundaround from the Minecraft forum, and the GreyAcumen team is getting pretty out of control with their egos. Scared that they are eventually going to spitesue Notch once they get their mods implemented.
  • What happened with Roundaround, I tend to avoid minecraft drama if I can.
  • Except if they get implemented they have to sign a license deal they would be up the creek.   Hell if notch really wanted to could issue a nice big fat cease and desist to entire modding community for using code injection.  grey is an ass and will sooner or later shoot himself in the foot. Technically notch could go hey all that neat stuff you made to modify my game.  Yoink.  It has my code therefore it is mine have a nice day.
    Roundaround ran into a ban because he disagreed with msmit21 or whatever his name was on how moderators treated the "omg black screen help plz", so he migrated to mcmodcenter instead.

The thing I don't like about the current modding style is that, it's very lazy. Rather than putting the mods into properties files inside of the mods and texture packs folder and allowing the mod to be easily turned on/off via GUI, they are lazily asking you to just "drag and drop, get a new .jar if things break". Conflicting mods cannot be toggled at will and must be used seperately, and even modloader seems extremely useful in this primitive style of modding.

I know the whole "Well there is an update every month or so, so why go through that work of making it better when it will break on the next update?" when they realize not everyone goes directly to the next version and some still play in previous versions.
  • Roundaround was banned? Well if he was, he was unbanned and migrated back to the minecraft forums. The only reason that some mods still use the drag and drop method is because they change a few of the base minecraft classes to work. The mod incompatibility issue, I fear, will only get worse once the official modding license comes out.
  • "The mod incompatibility issue, I fear, will only get worse once the official modding license comes out."

How? If anything, I'd expect an official modding license to decrease incompatibility issues, since everything would be built under one main engine.
  • edited 2011-05-02 12:18:12
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I don't really know how that would make it worse unless the modder intentionally made things far more difficult than it should be.

once the Mod API comes in, goodbye ModLoader.
  • The official mod api will be the actual source code of minecraft, given with the intent that the modders will only release the changed minecraft classes and the other needed classes for the mod to work. It's the changed minecraft classes that cause the conflicts, basically changing the engine with each mod. 

I don't see modloader going away anytime soon, because it is the closest thing we have to an api.
  • I don't think it will really  make it worse either.  It will be more of the same actually.
  • As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
  • I like turtles.
    I would be able to appreciate that a lot more if I bothered with rails.  But I rarely travel far enough to justify setting up a railroad.
    I should do that.
  • If I ever get Minecraft, I might try out my hand at making a massice railroad.

Do railroads gain/lose speed with elevation?
  • Yes they do.
  • AW HELL YEAH

ROLLERCOASTERS HERE I COME
  • edited 2011-05-06 14:35:55
    As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    I finished my new base in the SMP server. It's both out of the way and hidden, so you'll probably never find it. You'll definitely never figure out how to gain entrance without breaking anything.
  • edited 2011-05-06 14:41:50
    Patrol Time
    Bon: Maybe. :P  I find peoples little hidden bases all the time.  But then again it is usually by accident and there is some sort of sign nearby.  Or I see a person in an area and go to see what they are up to.

The new railroad booster pieces work pretty well.  They can boost you up hill and the new detectors work well with redstone. 

we have even made a sort of cart launcher.  No more bob sled launching of the  mine carts :P

For those who have the ip's they should all be working still.  It looks like Miijhal is still running hers for the time being.
  • ^ I absolutely hate doing that.

Problem with detector rails with switches though. Sometimes they do this funky thing where carts coming from the other direction activate the detector rails without passing over them. It's a pain to set up directional switching.
  • edited 2011-05-06 14:47:33
    Patrol Time
    Yeah directional switching is annoying I would rather set up parallel rail lines.

I need to find another map with a large tall plateau and then  built a spiraling rail line through it.
  • As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    I don't see why people use detectors so heavily, though. It's cheaper to use plain redstone torches to power rail.
  • ^ I hate when people do that too. Since any cart hitting a powered rail section without enough speed will get stuck.
  • Because they work and they can be tied to other things and it is easy when your just messing about to invedit in a bunch of detectors. 

Besides of your doing an end to end rail line your not going to worry about cart speed if you properly put in enough boosters.  But yet redstone torches are easier but detectors blend into the track.
    There is no shop on Miij serv? Awww.
  • The plugin has long since been broken.
  • No rainbow star
    Anybody else here use the Mo Creature's mod?
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    Yes. I. Hate. Ogres.
  • The Ogres are the reason I didn't download it.
  • No rainbow star
    Saigyouji and Don, you can turn off any mobs you don't want added

I turn off Ogres, Wraiths, and when the bugs in the newest version are ironed out, pirahnas (sharks I can deal with. Tiny fish that are bloody fast and hard to hit? Not so much)
    The ogres are the only mobs I don't mind.
  • ^ x8. You can just put redstone torches under the block with the track and that works just fine.