If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Suggest forum changes/features and report bugs here!

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Already knew that. Is this a problem?
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    Can we have gifs?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I don't think the software allows it, since it converts whatever you upload into jpegs.
    I hope that can be changed somehow. Wouldn't Longfellow be the only fellow who knows for sure though?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    If we can't can we have the converter convert the file to a less image transparency raping fragment scattering type?
    ^^ It would be UE since he's the webmaster.

^ Not at the moment, and probably not with that language.
    ....can we please have them converted into PNGs, milord?
    Ohhhh, I was thinking Longfellow for some odd reason. I await their response WITH FIERY PASSION.
    ^^ :P I'm not the one to ask.  UE's looked into it before; he first found it when resizing our avatars.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Possible dodgy stuff like errors about memory right now.
  • edited 2011-06-05 13:11:14
    Loser
    I am not sure if this is the right place to ask about possible additions to the rules, but I thought that it might be a good idea to suggest outlawing topics about specific tropers/IJBMers. If I remember correctly, the rules do state that one should not "start or continue dramafests" and should deal with troper issues privately and since I believe that such threads tend to lead to drama anyway, there are many reasons to ban them.

I think that topics about tropers who are not even members of IJBM are even more annoying since from what I can tell they can (and usually do) turn into ranting and complaining about people hatefully and rarely tend to serve any productive purpose. I feel like talking behind people's backs like that is just impolite in any event.

I can maybe understand not banning the second type of topic, but I think the first seems to already go against the spirit of the rules so I would like to see it disallowed. Of course, I would like to hear what others have to say about that though.

I am editing this post to say that I am no longer backing this rule change.
  • Louie without a sketchbook avatar/that one green haired guy/girl?

what is this

On the topic of troper specific topics, on the one hand I think they ought to be banned on the grounds of decency, but on the other hand, I sometimes find them quite fun.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I would agree with making a rule against it, Louie.
  • What phallibird said.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    I would look silly if I didn't say I'm against these kinds of topics at this point, so let's see about putting it in the rules.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I'm all for it.
  • I'm against it.
    OoO

Wy?
  • I think we should be free to air our gripes about people, and I think it's possible to do so without drama.

People get cranky in political threads, and we aren't making rules against those.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-06-03 23:49:14
    While I can understand that, topics about tropers allow for exporting / importing drama. I would be all for such threads if they just highlighted why said person's posts were disruptive or not conductive to discussion, but such threads rarely end up like this, with most of the people posting in said threads simply bashing the person without really being open about what about them is so infuriating. I would love to have threads like this (trust me, I really, really would), but for them to devolve into mudslinging means they aren't worth keeping.

Sorry if this sounds stupid or I didn't word it quite right, I'm not in the right frame of mind at the moment.
  • edited 2011-06-04 01:25:17
    You can change. You can.
    ^ Nah, Bobby, that's pretty much how I feel about it myself.

And it's starting to scare me how much we agree on everything...>_>
  • Well it seems to me that we shouldn't restrict people from doing things that might motivate others to start a shitstorm, but rather stop the people who are actually shitstorming.
    We could always counter Harbingers of the Shitstorm and prevent them from being casted, while we generally allow other creatures to come out with the topics without the risk of the others from breaking the rules.
  • That makes sense. So, all we need is stricter moderation in regards to rules 2, 3 and maybe 4?
    The threads themselves would toe the line between violating rules 3/4.
  • You can change. You can.
    Yes, they would, but as long as we 

1) Do not attack the person but their habits, or at the very least discuss them(Because not everything has to be an attack) 

2) We do not make a big drama out of it and start attacking everyone, whether they are here or not

3) We try to keep it civil.

I'd say we'd do fine. Of course, those threads represent a huge risk, and I honestly don't see the userbase being ready for it. I'd like them a lot, but...yeah.
  • ...Is it weird that I can't decide where I stand on the proposed rule?
  • edited 2011-06-04 01:56:15
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    4) we will keep our attacks of their habits as subtle as possible (lol).

or

5) if they can read this very forum and we can send a message to them on TV Tropes, we do not make a thread about them. We send a PM to said person instead.
  • Seconding everything Juan said. Also seconding this:

And it's starting to scare me how much we agree on everything...>_>