If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• what the hell even is the second half of this
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Sounds like the second half goes back to the trancepop style that we're familiar with from Elements Garden for Symphogear.

The only thing I might find mildly disappointing is that the second half doesn't seem to reuse much the leitmotifs that appear in the first part of the song (and elsewhere in the series).
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    So on my continuing mission to be contrarian and hipster I've apparently decided the latest target is myself. After telling GMH the other day that I don't listen to soundtracks any more, a few days ago I started listening to the Super Smash Bros. Brawl Soundtrack again, then the Soulcaliburt 3 OST. Now it's the Mahou Sensei Negima! soundtrack.

Maybe I'll finally finish listening to the Gundam Build Fighters TRY OST next.
  • edited 2018-03-09 04:56:09
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Meanwhile, I've been listening to the Black Bullet soundtrack.

I can't help but compare and contrast it with the Neon Genesis Evangelion soundtrack, since I know they're from the same composer, even though they were written about two decades apart.

What's rather interesting is that the Black Bullet soundtrack's dramatic/action tracks largely sound very different from NGE's. The grand orchestral writing with prominent brasses is much less prevalent, and is replaced in many places with varanium electronic synths (sometimes with choir singing custom English-language lyrics). This might just be a result of the difference in era, though -- such instrumentation seems to be more common these days and strong orchestral brasses seemed more common in the 90s and before, at least from my impressions. But some of it is still there -- such as in the track "Aldebaran".

What has certainly stayed the same are at least a couple other things: low-tension jazzy writing for a small ensemble involving piano, as well sorrowful strings (in A minor, no less!).
  • edited 2018-03-08 14:30:45
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Actual Things That Must Have Happened:

T.M.Revolution : I'm done being TMR, I want to go in a whole new direction.
    Asakura Daisuke: Then what happens to me? This is who I am!
    T.M.Revolution: Iunno, I feel like our vibe has run it's course. Ten was a good album, but I don't want to keep going like this.
    Asakura Daisuke: You want to quit on me! Fine!
    Nishikawa Takanori (Formerly TMR): Fine!
    [Repeat that a few times]

[Bump into each other at an industry event at a later date]
    Asakura: How is it going? Can you find anybody else as amazing as I am?
    Nishikawa: I got a Fate/ OP! I'm the first male artist to perform one.
    Asakura: That's cute, but I'm doing a Kamen Rider OP. How many people watch your 12AM [expletive], huh? Otaku with no lives except for their baitos so they can make money for gatcha? I'm raising Japan's next generation here!
    Nishikawa: No way, with whom? We all know you can't sing.
    Asakura: Beverly.
    Nishikawa: That girl who did the CRISIS dorama OP? avex's new Filipina darling?
    Nishikawa: That's... not that big a deal <_<
    Asakura: I'm doing it as part of a new unit with Komuro-senpai.
    Nishikawa: You don't mean...
    Asakura: Yes, that Komuro-senpai. Writer of every great song of the 1990s and man who inspired many, many covers. We're a new unit called PANDORA. We'll break the whole world open and teach it the true meaning of electronica.
    Nishikawa: ...
    Nishikawa: I guess you win then.

[Five Months Later]
    Komuro: /can't stop cheating on his terminally ill wife
    Komuro: /is caught
    Komuro: I apologize for my actions, but I know that won't be enough.
    Asakura: /biting nails
    Asakura: Please go to rehab please go to rehab pleasegotorehab
    Komuro: I therefore wholly retire from the music industry
    Asakura: ...
    avex: /releases PANDORA's mini album anyways and then proceeds to not issue press releases
    me: /refreshing PANDORA's avex mini-site for news forevermore*

*Forevermore [Forever-more]; An Utada song nobody remembers.
    consider: Ravel's Bolero

for some reason i fell asleep while listening to this (technically another version of it featuring only Maico singing) and I happened to be thinking of the Black Bullet character Tina Sprout at the time and I connected this song's laid-back pleasantness with her daytime sleepiness and now I associate the character with this song
  • edited 2018-07-13 22:18:43
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Best part starts around 7:00.

So, recently I've been back to what I'd like to call atmospheric eco-black metal. I guess this musical current (bit to early to call it a genre) is what happens when you feel drawn to folk themes, but don't live on a reservation.

That said, fantasy-themed black metal holds fast, Caladan Brood is one of the most impressive things I've listened to in quite a time.

The curious thing is that black metal seems to turn back on itself. Started out as "blast beat-ridden Jesus bashing" (to quote one review), then went moody and introspective and began to produce stuff like Agalloch's "Sowilo Rune". (For the record, they usually still pay lip service to Jesus bashing.)
    It turns out I Want You to Know by ZEDD (Latest Pop Song of Why Won't Places I Go Stop Playing This) features Selena Gomez' vocals. I literally can't tell it's her at all.
    The OP of Absolute Duo is amazingly compelling.
  • edited 2018-03-26 05:21:18
    So apparently I've missed this Ritsuko Okazaki song for this long.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/636/Juubee-chan_2__Siberia_Yagyuu_no_Gyakushuu

Speaking of Ritsuko Okazaki, I just found out about this: https://myanimelist.net/news/16682241
  • Jubei-chan 2's opening is like 20 seconds.
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    Jubei-chan 2's opening is like 20 seconds.
    I checked out a couple episodes of that and discovered that the opening is an instrumental that lasts about that long, and I couldn't find the song...but it's listed as an insert song here.
  • Going down the Jubei-chan 2 section on that page there is one listed as "opening theme" and I am so confused now.
    Wait I thought it said insert song.
  • edited 2018-03-26 19:48:07
    "オープニング・テーマ" is "opening theme".

Wait no, the one labelled that is the ending theme, which she wrote but did not perform.
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    "オープニング・テーマ" is "opening theme".

Wait no, the one labelled that is the ending theme, which she wrote but did not perform.
    What's the name of that song?

I am listening to this thanks to Gabriel DropOut.

(it shows up in episode 10)
    o/` I just want to play my MMO games... o/`
    o/` No! Your room is a mess! Go make it tidy! o/`

etc. etc. etc.

o/` People and demons and angels let's throw them in a pile
    [happy!]
    and take whatever we get o/`

etc. etc. etc.

o/` la la la la la la I forgot the words to sing o/`
    o/` I AM THE GREAT DEMON LORD! GREAT DEMON LORD! o/`
    ohgoshican'twaittogetoutofhere

etc. etc. etc.

This song has been stuck in my head so much I'm already making translated lyrics
    @fourteenwings I have recently taken a liking to Choucho's "Andante". Thanks for introducing me to it.
    ChouCho is great, so there's no thanks necessary. She also wrote and composed that song herself, which she's been doing a lot lately.

• what even is this track
  • edited 2018-04-03 19:32:03
    unincluded/unknown/unnamed/unidentified tracks tend to be random things like this

also this is pretty nice
  • I think I've heard it actually used in some gameplay clip but I can't remember which one(s).

• I'm not sure if the weird thing is the giant screaming old man in the sky or his inexplicabe outfit changes
    @GMH Uchida Maaya's new single was composed by Rasmus Faber and I think you like him?

Is this Uchida Maaya's or meg rock's singing?
    It's Maaya. meg rock's voice is way more clipped and Maaya has way stronger vocals that tend to come through even when she's singing like this. meg rock hasn't released a new song in years, but she did write this one.

• I still don't know a whole lot about Grimm's Notes but this is some nice aesthetic.
    2018-04-02-catb-244.jpg?fit=792%2C1008

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH