If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    I still don't know a whole lot about Grimm's Notes but this is some nice aesthetic.

Nice song; reminds me of the OP of Allison & Lillia.
  • edited 2018-04-15 16:09:11
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Kay Eurovison Thoughts 01
    • FOREVER by ALEKSEEV (Belarus): it's pretty good?
    • That's How You Write a Song by Alexander Rybak (Norway): Mr. Rybak, you either phoned it in or really, really wanted the concept to work. I can't tell which. It's like, vaguely okay.
    • Bones by EQUINOX (Bulgaria): Oh my gosh I love this. It's so weird and actually listenable at the same time. I'm just sad the lines aren't "I love beyond the BONES, goes deep inside your BONES" (second line is soul instead). From fake Sia to Serious Beard Guy, everything about the video was perfect too.
    • Non Mi Avete Fatto Niente by Ermal Meta and Fabrizio Moro (Italy): This has a really good promotional video, and it's also a really great song. I'm always a big fan of Italy's songs, and this one is right up there.
    • Mercy by Madame Monsieur (France): I always like France's songs, but they tend to be hyper-repetitive. This one is very much in that wheelhouse, but it's also still really enjoyable. Also I think this is the first time in a while there weren't any random ill-fitting English bits so that's good.
    • Lie to Me by Mikolas Josef: This is a ripoff of a lot of the worst modern English music has to offer outside of DJs and dubstep. There are the Bruno Mars jazz sounds and then there's the "It's okay to be a misogynist if it's just a song"-ness and somewhere in between is all the stuff I can't eve with. Anyways, we need a "That Guy" song every year, so it's fine.
  • All I know about the Allison anime is that the guy who translated the LNs thinks it suffered from heavily reduced violence. And if this is to be believed, the author thinks so too.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    >Leona Lewis can't stop singing about why SHE and her LOVED ONE deserve to be TOGETHER no matter WHAT PEOPLE SAY
    >Calum Scott can't stop singing about why HE and his LOVED ONE deserve to be TOGETHER no matter WHAT THE WORLD SAYS
    >They do a duet

Oh, so this is what brand synergy looks like.

I've spent so much time thinking about Western music lately I'm a bit concerned.
    Meanwhile, I have the PSO2A OP in my head first thing in the morning.
    Okay, I do have a thing actually.

I know music has been doing it forever, but I've started to recognize a specific sound in literally all song as The fripSide Noise. It's a repetitive drum-type sound that is clearly not a drum and probably a result of some keyboard thing. It's the background noise that just never ever stops.

It's very prominent in the Bratz song Ready or Not.

• Neat that this seems to incorporate the alternate versions of the song.

I'm not sure what to think of the fact that 4U have the most personal/character-specific song I could find from this game.
  • edited 2018-04-21 02:00:48
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Oh hey, finally found this video again. Took me a while to find the name of the track, then it was easy.

As noted in the description:
    Hello! Welcome! from Sailor Moon: Another Story
    Suggested use: during internet drama, flamewars and when everyone is wrong on the internet.

I was the person who suggested this be a reaction video to internet arguments, and as the May 2009 upload date indicates, it is indeed from when I actually still hung around TV Tropes. I used it as a reaction video several times back then.

Good to know it's still around.
    So Avicii died. This seems like a weird thing for me to care about, but I'm pretty sure every one of us has heard Wake Me Up at some point in our lives. He also did a collaboration early on in his career with Leona Lewis, Collide, which is probably one of my favorite songs by her.

He, in conjunction with Calvin Harris, basically invented modern pop music. It's not even just the "DJ feat. Artist" music that sounds like this now. Even individual artist's songs sound like this.

So yeah, big loss to modern pop music right there. I wasn't a big fan of his music or repertoire outside of the songs I mentioned, but you can't overlook what he brought to the zeitgeist (for better or worse).

I didn't think I'd ever be the sort of person who wrote memorial posts for musicians, especially not twice in the same thread, but it turns out musicians are genuinely important to me.
    ^ Sorry to hear about that.

----

http://www.yogurtbox.com/
    I have the "soundtrack" to this nonexistent game. Picked it up years ago, in the Indie Royale Stuffing Bundle. I paid a lot less than $10 for this -- like about $4 or $5 for that and a bundle of five games, three soundtracks that went with three of those games, and this album.

(Indie Royale, of course, no longer exists. Good thing I downloaded it when I had the chance.)

----

BTW, that raises a good question. What's a good reasonable minimum amount to pay for an album that I buy digitally? Like, standard-size album, we're talking 10-15 tracks, lasting roughly an hour. A lot of bandcamp stuff I run across is "pay what you want", but I kinda feel bad about paying only like $1 for such an album. I wonder if $5 is a more reasonable minimum.
    I still think $35 is an okay price since that's what a standard Japanese album will run you, but I do think $10-20 is fine for a Western album.

Speaking of, I tried to wean myself off physical media by relying on iTunes but then I ended up buying a whole bunch of Western artists. This month alone I've gotten Something to Tell You by HAIM, Only Human by Calum Scott, Critical as Water by Jeremy Loops, Oracular Spectacular by MGMT* and, Niall Horan's album that totally has a name.

*This is an old album, but I only heard of MGMT because of the second season of Gossip Girl which is from like 2008/9.
  • edited 2018-05-01 07:57:12
    I just found out about this:

Though I find the original to be catchier.
    Yeah, the original is catchier.

@fourteenwings what is this
    It's a mishmash of the original TESTAMENT by Mizuki Nana, plus a duet version that fripSide and Mimori Suzuko performed on Animelo MIX!.
  • Oh that's the event it was from

• This is my favorite T7S song for some reason.

Well, "favorite" as in "I keep wanting to hear this".
    I know, I know what you must be thinking
    That we are powerless to change things
    But don't, don't give up
    'Cause we got love, 'cause we got love

Australia's Eurovision song isn't as hopeful as it thinks it is.

As for Eurovision this year, I guess my favorite songs are probably:

No mi avete fatto niente (Italy)

Higher Ground (Denmark)
    X My Heart (Azerbaijan)

Light Me Up (Poland)

Together (Ireland)
    Mercy (France)
    Monsters (Finland)

Forever (Belarus)

Bones (Bulgaria)

There are a lot less than there were last year, or the year before. Italy and Bulgaria are on the list, as always. Italy is also at the top, as always. France is on the list for the first time since usually their songs are catchy but very grating after a while. Oniro Mou has a great second half but man that first half is a drag.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Hey guys, check this out

pirate synth

literally posted mere hours ago at most

a new genre is born

(I'm deliberately using shitposter's formatting, for the effect.)
  • edited 2018-05-09 05:04:23
    That's quite unique.

Azerbaijan was eliminated from Eurovision for the first time in forever. It makes sense; I loved everything about the song and the performance, but I have to admit it was quite... odd.

Loved the aura effects though.
  • edited 2018-05-15 16:27:27

I'm starting to wonder if "quirky covers of Love Machine" is a niche on its own.
    What are memes, but niches?
  • edited 2018-05-16 20:43:27
    "Memes" suggests a particular level of audience engagement with noticeable rise and fall in popularity... I think. I have no idea if these covers just randomly happen regardless of whether or not a lot of people really care.

Newest one I've found is from 2015:

• edited 2018-05-18 16:41:53
    3G7iBCF.jpg
    Wait so did t7S actually do "modern pop music moved from pop-rock to EDM"

I am so confused that this supposed idol group is actually a reference to Western pop music

• I have been thinking too much about this song. I prefer Reol's take because of the underlying crass quality (relatively) more appropriate for someone describing a red light district.
  • edited 2018-05-25 16:26:27
    "Echoes of Departure and the Endless Street of Dreams - Pt. 1"

There is no way this album is good.
    the music here is so obviously peppy anisong/j-pop plus a few "spy jazz" things thrown in
    Between Aoyama Thelma and Fairies I'm starting to think we're at the start of some Eurobeat Renaissance.
  • edited 2018-05-30 15:15:49
    1. I can't leave the house without _____
    2. I relax by _____
    3. My favorite emoji is _____
    4. I love to eat _____
    5. My favorite TV show is _____
    6. My favorite song is _____
    7. My favorite actor is _____
    8. My favorite movie is _____
    9. I would live to visit _____
    10. At the end of the rainbow there is a _____
    11. This sandwich could use some _____
    12. When I'm at home I must _____
    13. Family Channel is _____
    I did just mean the music question, just to be clear.

1. I can't leave the house without my phone. I know, baaaasic.
    2. I relax by looking up thousands and thousands of pictures on stock image sites while listening to music. It's a terrible habit and I need to stop.
    3. My favorite emoji is the rock hand emoji, with the index and pinkie finger.
    4. I love to eat chiiiiiiiiips.
    5. My favorite (non-anime) TV show is Elementary, because I love how inventive it can be and how Sherlock and Joan grow as characters. Also Superstore, because the characters remind me of IJBM people.
    6. My favorite song is uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh STARDOM by AIKATSU☆STARS!
    7. My favorite actor is uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh Honjou Yuutarou. I feel like it's easier to have somebody who is your favorite if their whole body of work is mostly behind them.
    8. My favorite movie is The Clique.
    9. I would live to visit somewhere super-rural in Japan where they had a locodol, maybe Nagoya to see MAG!C☆PRINCE live... if I weren't so terrified of how racist it'd probably be.
    10. At the end of the rainbow there is a giant limited edition box set of all the Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution movies.
    11. This sandwich could use some ketchuuuuuuuuuuup.
    12. When I'm at home I must make sure it is spotless.
    13. Family Channel is great because both Backstage and The Next Step are on it.