If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Eighties speed/early power metal binge. Fun stuff. It's a bit like reading Conan stories in musical form.
  • edited 2017-09-21 20:44:05
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I woke up this morning with a cool idea for a courante in my head but now I can only write the first four bars out and I can't think of anything past that. :(
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Wasn't this one of the plots in "Cloud Atlas"?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I don't think so? I only just now found out about that movie though.

Anyway I remembered what it was after I went to take a shower. Now I have two different contrasting ideas. lol
    I once had a tune in my head that I kept forgetting, luckily there was a creaking door that made the same note as the song began.
  • I rarely am ever GENUINELY LONG TERM FREAKING OUT but GUYS AMURO NAMIE IS RETIRING OH MY GOSH guys seriously HOW IS THIS HAPPENING SHE'S STILL SO POPULAR and WHY MUST THIS HAPPEN TO ME.

Apparently it got overshadowed on Twitter by Merlin returning to Fate/Grand Order. (It's specifically "Merlin" spelled in Japanese so probably wasn't the anniversary of the BBC show)
  • edited 2017-09-22 13:05:11
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    See this is why twitter sucks.
    The sudden news that such a prominent figure in the realm of otaku music is retiring should have created waves on Twitter.

She has done like three anime OPs, ever. Even ayu has more ota cred than her.
  • edited 2017-09-22 16:09:05
    I just realized that "ota" and "wota" are two words that sound similar but mean two different things.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    LiSA's new promo art for ASH looks like she was just hanging around on the set for Desir and decided to just get her own stuff over and done with.
    I heard a song in a Lays (yes, the chips) commercial that I really liked and it turned out to be a song that lost the Malta Eurovision song nomination.

Every good thing comes from Eurovision.
  • edited 2017-10-08 06:53:23
    I just wrote the first half of the first movement of a sonata (in so-called "sonata-allegro" or "first-movement" form).

The only problem with me sharing the MuseScore MIDI version is that it horribly mangles the dynamics -- forte is WAY louder than piano. Also it has no sense to balance the hands properly -- the repeated left-hand notes are way louder than they should be.

Well, here's to starting another faux-Mozart sonata. Just with a few touches suggesting that it's not Mozart but rather me who likes deliciously rich harmonies.

I did finally get to use this little tune that I came up with many, many years ago. It's fit for the last sentence of a section, and it just showed up in my mind in the right place at the right time.

This was admittedly directly inspired by my thinking about Joseph Haydn's Piano Concerto in F major, Hoboken catalogue number XVIII:F1. Especially the finale.

I played this as a kid. It was strange and long to me as a kid. It was the third concerto I learned, or more like the first real concerto because the first two were actually divertimenti by Haydn (i.e. shorter multi-movement pieces for soloist and orchestra). I never got to perform this anywhere. But honestly, this is a really pleasant piece to listen to, and I'm quite fond of it.

Unlike those two divertimenti, Haydn's authorship of this concerto is considered spurious -- meaning that people aren't sure that he actually wrote this. Still, it's a nice piece, and I like it.

For anyone who's interested in getting a full score, it looks like it may be available here: http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/concerto-for-piano-in-f-hob-xviii-f1-spurious-actual-title-sechs-leichte-clavierconcerte-no-6-sheet-music/3227994
    https://henseltlibrary.wordpress.com/

holy shit this is a goldmine
    I feel like this is a stop the presses moment (I wonder how much longer I can even use that expression without having to explain it); Aimer's finally delved into a whole different style that completely suits her in ONE. Like... I love this song, so much. Maybe listening to insane dream 90 times to try and get into it was worth it after all.
    fourteenwings the C-Side to TESTAMENT is
    fourteenwings a self-contained SAO type story
    fourteenwings There goes Nana being too cool for otaisms
    Naas is this about Maria
    fourteenwings the C-Side to TESTAMENT is
    fourteenwings a self-contained SAO type story
    fourteenwings There goes Nana being too cool for otaisms
    Naas is this about Maria

?
  • I'm guessing you don't remember this:
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    The actual plot right now is Elfnein using Maria's brain to play SAO.

SXcLCf7.jpg
    oh
    favorite national songs that aren't the national anthem:

* Australia - Waltzing Matilda
    * Costa Rica - Patriótica Costarricense
    * United States - God Bless America
  • edited 2017-10-30 02:41:10

Also, the fact that God Save the Queen always makes it to those "top n national anthems" lists but Up on the Young Rhine never does is proof that those lists are proxies for how "popular" a country is.
    I know that tune, but I can't quite recall from where. I think it was in some animation, presumably Japanese. Ghibli, perhaps? Can you help?

I don't recognize it off the top of my head. Have you tried Midomi?
    My knowledge of Japanese animation is highly limited. If it's not mainstream-recognized, then it's like one hand's fingers of a number. (Or even less, apart from Scrapped Princess all the anime I watched pretty much is mainstream.) 'Sides, even if I can narrow it down to two or three titles, I don't know if it's a common tune so I'd rather ask around before trying a binge.

This is pretty.

Also, another one:
    * Poland - Droga do Warszawy
  • edited 2017-11-03 17:34:52
    fourteenwings I am becoming one of those people who thinks modern pop music is just noise
    fourteenwings i used to be so...
    fourteenwings no wait this is a good thing it means I'm even more hipster than before

To elaborate; I'm not a fan of the current trend in American pop where less than half of the song is vocals, and the "music" kind of just sounds like lots of wounded animals crying over and over or some sort of summoning ritual for bland spirits (ie, neither good, nor evil).

At the same time, I'm also sick of soulful vocalists who dominate so much that the backing track is just a dull, lifeless thing. In fact, I'm not a huge fan of people who can sing too well, but that's the only thing I keep finding when I go out looking for music in English.
    fourteenwings I am becoming one of those people who thinks modern pop music is just noise
    fourteenwings i used to be so...
    fourteenwings no wait this is a good thing it means I'm even more hipster than before

To elaborate; I'm not a fan of the current trend in American pop where less than half of the song is vocals, and the "music" kind of just sounds like lots of wounded animals crying over and over or some sort of summoning ritual for bland spirits (ie, neither good, nor evil).

At the same time, I'm also sick of soulful vocalists who dominate so much that the backing track is just a dull, lifeless things. In fact, I'm not a huge fan of people who can sing too well, but that's the only thing I keep finding when I go out looking for music in English.
    wait what

Can you give examples of these things?
  • edited 2017-11-03 17:35:24
    less than half of the song is vocals, and the "music" kind of just sounds like lots of wounded animals crying over and over

How Far I'll Go by Alessia Cara (I know the movie version is less like this but who cares about classical Disney movie music)
    Why by Sabrina Carpenter (in fact this list could be a whole bunch of Sabrina Carpenter songs, see also; On Purpose)
    Something Just Like This by Coldplay and The Chainsmokers, and also The Chainsmokers in general
    Literally everything where it's "DJ1 and DJ2 featuring [Artist x] and [Artist y] with a rap cameo by [Artist z]"
    I'm also sick of soulful vocalists who dominate so much that the backing track is just a dull, lifeless thing.

Meaghan. Trainor.
    Post-RACEDAY Grace Mitchell
    Ed Sheeran

I'm not sure where on this dichotomy Ed Sheeran's Shape of You falls but man that song is bad.
    I have no idea what it is about K-pop boybands singing in Japanese that makes me want to dance I have the motor skills of an old man.

In related news, I finally got TOHOSHINKI's FINE COLLECTION ~Begin Again~ (everybody is allowed one Symphogear joke).
    Even though they stopped dating collaborating, Shimizu Shota seems to be trying to follow Kato Miliyah's imechens as closely as possible.

Fresh Style Normal Miliyah > Strung Out Glam Pop Miliyah
    Fresh Style Normal Shota > Strung Out Glam Pop Shota

Clearly next are Maximum Boho Shota and "My Clothing is Flowers" Shota.
    Some of the best charason (non OP/ED) I can think of:
    • Betrayal (Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku, by Ruler x Swim Swim)
    • Zankyou -feedback- (Bakumatsu Rock, by Okita Soji)
    • Akatsuki no Freebird (Bakumatsu Rock, by Toshizo Hijikata x Soji Okita)
    • Zecchou SPIRAL (Bakumatsu Rock, by Sakamoto Ryoma x Tokugawa Yoshinobu)
    • Oh My An-chan! (Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu! LOVE!, by Hakone Yumoto and Hakone Goro)
    • Sentimental Berry (Aikatsu! PHOTO on STAGE!!, by Arisugawa Otome x Natsuki Mikuru)
    • Kirameki Messenger (Aikatsu! PHOTO on STAGE!!, by Dancing Diva aka. Hikami Sumire x Kurogawa Rin)
    • Star Heart (Aikatsu! PHOTO on STAGE!!, by Tristar aka. Kanzaki Mizuki x Toudou Yurika x Ichinose Kaede)
    • GLAMOROUS BLUE (Aikatsu! PHOTO on STAGE!!,
    • Canaria (Fukumenkei Noise, by in NO hurry to shout; with vocals by Arisugawa Nino)
    • ARRIVAL -KUROFUNE Sail Away- (DREAM FESTIVAL!, by KUROFUNE aka. Kuroishi Yuto x Kazama Keigo)
    • Glory Story (DREAM FESTIVAL!, by TRAFFIC|||SIGNAL aka. Amamiya Kanade x Sasaki Junya x Oikawa Shin)
    • WING IN THE DARKNESS (Hakkenden -Touhou Hakken Ibun-, by Inuzuka Shino)
    • STILL ALIVE! (Hakkenden -Touhou Hakken Ibun-, by Inuta Kobungo)

There's lots more, but I feel like these songs never get the attention they deserve (even from me a lot of the time)
  • edited 2017-12-08 04:31:16
    Rie fu's "Life is like a Boat" seems to be largely taken off YouTube, aside from covers and really-out-of-tune versions.

But this cover seems to be actually pretty good.

The singing is actually mostly in tune and follows the right notes. And the accompaniment MIDI is mostly faithful to the original song, especially the harmonies. There's this one G#m chord that comes up a few times and it's not in the original, but it kinda works like this too, so it's not a dealbreaker. And the instrumentation is just piano, which is basically the original's instrumentation (it was backed by guitar and drums, but the piano was most of it); if anything, it's missing reverb more than the other backing instruments.