If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

edited 2012-12-27 05:27:23 in General
yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Because we need one of these that's not just "derp derp youtube embeds".

Ground rules:

• only post embeds if they're relevant to the conversation or you're demonstrating something.

• do not make overly inflammatory statements about artists/genres/fans/whatever.

Anyway, I'll start. I made this thread in part because an acquaintance of mine who goes by Spetalsk just released a really solid trip-hop EP. It's about Twin Peaks too, as much as any album without words can be about something, so that's a thing.

Also it's worth downloading cuz you get two bonus tracks and it's name your price with no minimum value.

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Goodbye, stereopony ;_;

Speaking of YUI, I've been listening to She Loves You again and I'm thinking about how everybody got to pick their song (and now Aoi Eir somehow ended up on it despite releasing like, two anisong singles only before appearing on it).

It's funny because I bet if YUI tried to do Rolling Star now she'd probably not sound as like herself at that age as much as Shoko Nakagawa does.

• edited 2013-01-03 07:43:20
    Has friends besides tanks now

I picked up Blind Guardian's Memories of a Time to Come yesterday. I doubt I'll be disappointed with modern-quality rerecordings by a band that so many people here (or, like, three) seem to like so much. Song lengths are kind of offputting, but that goes for almost anyone; I barely tolerate it from my second favorite band at the moment, Coheed and Cambria, unless it's a really good song.

>derp derp youtube embeds

>:/

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

don't look at me like that

also what's a Blind Guardian

• Has friends besides tanks now

Just some dudes playing power metal who are apparently very well-regarded.

oh

metal

course

• I like Blind Guardian.

If you're gonna listen to Power Metal, they are your best bet.

In other news, I listened to fun.'s first album and really liked it.

I also listened to Deloused In the Comatorium and didn't understand it at all. 

I think I prefer Symphony X and Dragonforce so far, but there's definitely some good stuff here, and I'll be listening more in any case. I'll probably check out At the Edge of Time in the near future, too.

I also like fun. My roommate played Some Nights every now and then when people were hanging out, and amazingly enough, the album actually compensated for the unfortunate presence of "We Are Young" and then some.

• a little muffled

Symphony X aren't really power metal at this point (though they are awesome). I would say Nightfall in Middle-Earth is Blind Guardian's best album, personally.

• edited 2013-01-03 13:20:26
    Has friends besides tanks now

They aren't? I mean, they're kinda heavy compared to some of the other power metal I've heard, but it seems like it would still fit the bill. Would they just be prog, then?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I've always thought that Blind Guardian's strength is that they often occupy the blurred line between power metal and thrash metal. They characterise a genre of metal known for being accessible while at the same time drawing plenty of influence from extreme metal, and their way of blending the accessible and the extreme just works. Of course, this is more true of early albums, with Blind Guardian settling into more well-defined power metal territory as time goes by -- but they never quite lose that thrash edge, I think. 

• a little muffled

@All Nines: I'd call their more recent stuff just prog, yeah.

Huh. It appears that the only song from A Night at the Opera on Memories is the closing track, and that's the album that has "Battlefield," so that might be my next pick, if anything. Not sure I like "Nightfall" the song so much (especially when preceded by "Imaginations from the Other Side"), and haven't listened much to "Mirror Mirror," so that's probably what I'll do. I'll have to listen to A Night more, though.

• a little muffled

A Night at the Opera is also an excellent album. It also has "The Soulforged" which is possibly my second-favourite song. My favourite is "Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill)" which I will admit is like 33% of the reason I call Nightfall the best album.

Only fun. song I know offhand is "Some Nights", which I like.

• edited 2013-01-03 23:46:37
    There is love everywhere, I already know

So I listened to JUNO's STYLE and Aimer'Sleepless Nights in succession and it made me think about album structure and release.

JUNO's album cycles through a lot of styles/genres while still remaining very JUNO throughout. Maybe it's because he's more idol that singer that he can manage to cycle like this since he didn't write any of his own songs (though bands groups like Secret have much more... obvious change when they do different songs), but I still feel like I am getting to see a lot of who Kim Jun Ho is (though this could be some really clever marketing on avex's part).

Aimer's, on the other hand is very much... one tone. Aside from AM02:00 and Yakou Ressha the entire album is just Aimer being the exact same Aimer she always is. The entire album could be combined into one medley of ballads and I bet nobody would find it odd (Well, there is that weird 'Re-echoing' of Fuyu no Diamond that deserves to be quietly murdered). I mean, I feel Aimer throughout this album but... by the time you get to the second half your mind has tuned out because "it's just more Aimer" (It doesn't help that Yakou Ressha is second and AM02:00 is almost right at the mid-point). Not that the album and the songs are bad, in fact if all of these were paired into groups of three and released as singles, I'd love all those singles because when it's only three songs you can actually notice the little nuances that make each song special.

So, my question is that should albums be platforms for an artist to show off what they can do while still remaining themselves or should they be exactly what the artist does all the time, or both?

Obviously, there should still be a mappable evolution and growth but all of the above options do allow for it.

Tangent: K-pop idol complains about his job (Which is the worst thing you can do for your career in K-pop) but it's interesting to see the discussions that are popping up. I personally believe that by the 90s it was obvious how difficult being a K-pop idol was so you should either go with it if you find you love it (it being the hard work and absolute crazy careers) or just quit (cause I'm pretty sure they made those weird unbreakable contracts illegal a while back).

so hey I don't know if anyone cares but I made an EP.

only song on it I don't really care for is Rock of Mind cuz I screwed up the Delay.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^ > Sleepless Nights

And I thought you were talking about the Megumi Hayashibara song.

• They're somethin' else.

@ Super Lazuli

I like it. Of all the tracks, I'd say Cult TV's my favorite.

Thank you. :)

• You can change. You can.

So there's this guy in Youtube who does some really great arrangements of metal songs as jazz, bossa nova and so on. Now, I don't like reggae or megadeth, but this is pretty fucking great

• They're somethin' else.

Awesome!

Thank ye for that, Juan.

so I think I found the one country album from 2012 that's "my style".

This being Daughn Gibson's All Hell.

• It's a little irritating how hard to find Trout Mask Replica is. Every other Beefheart album is readily available, why not the Magic Band's most well-known album?
  • edited 2013-01-13 04:21:23
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Why does A-pop feature so few authentic-type cadences (counting 3, 5, or 7 of any kind to 1), compared to east-Asian pop?  It's like A-pop really likes ii-to-I and IV-to-I cadences.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

A-pop...?

American Pop.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well if there's "J-pop" and "K-pop" why not "A-pop"?

>forgetting C-pop