If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know
    There are a lot of great Aikatsu! songs but it's really hard to think of one that beats Forever Dream from Aikatsu Stars! right now.

Maaaaaaaybe Kira・pata・shining. Maybe.

• oh there is a full version of this
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    i'll get right on listening to that when i'm done listening to this
  • edited 2017-07-10 02:37:27
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > have this one tune stuck in my head
    > remember it as trance/eurodance sort of thing, probably an instrumental
    > surprised Midomi figures it out
    > turns out to be the melody
    > it's not trance at all, it's "Tsukiakari no Michishirube", the OP of Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor
    > where the hell did I hear this before?
    > probably here, which is trance

> first youtube result is not the same version as the single
    > single only contains one song
    > Midomi calls that the "acoustic ver."
    > where the hell is it?
    > turns out to be the B-side of another single
  • edited 2017-07-10 04:04:00
    FINALLY found one of my unknown tracks!

The only clue for this one is that the track is titled "Magnesium.mp3". The file has no tag information except to say that it originated in 2009 and has BPM 210.

Found it on here: http://brkbrkbrk.com/8bcdump/ (warning: webpage autoplays music, also big page, but all text)

It seems to be part of a chiptune collection once hosted on a site called 8bitcollective. Apparently the artist name is "2PLAYER":
    Magnesium by 2PLAYER
    Licensed under Creative Commons BY-NC-SA License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/ ).
    Downloaded from from http://8bc.org/music/2PLAYER/Magnesium/
    source: https://archive.org/details/Best_of_8_Bit_Collective-2006-2011 <-- click to enter the collection (warning: takes a while to load because big), then do a Ctrl+F for "Magnesium". You should find a file titled "Day12-magnesium.mp3". The attribution file follows it and that is all the text it contains.

8bc.org apparently existed only from 2005 to 2011, so either I picked it up sometime then or later from a third party site.

Well at least now I can go tag it myself.

Edit: Oops. I went to tag it and that resulted in editing the track, meaning that its timestamp information has been lost so I don't know when I originally got the track. (I think my backup copy might still have the right timestamp?)
  • Bovarian Mammarian

brb going to compose the MM2 soundtrack
    the "Game Theory" videos are kinda irrelevant and annoying but the "Music Theory" videos are actually about music theory for real and actually pretty meaningful it seems
  • edited 2017-07-10 06:12:05

I only have one disagreement: The main theme is in E minor, not A minor.
    I first listened to Rie fu's self-titled album many years ago, around 2006-ish I think? I was first introduced to "Life is like a Boat", which I fell in love with. (It wasn't through Bleach, for what it's worth. A friend was listening to it.)

That song is definitely my favorite, though "decay" is another one that I like. The others are a bit on the quirky side I think? Like they don't quite strike me as the kind of song that I'd call my favorites, but on the other hand, they're certainly memorable and have certainly left an impression that has stayed with me for over a decade now. Now I did listen to the album a bit more than a few times back then, partly because I didn't really have that many albums to play around with at the time, but that's not to say the songs are bad. The first track has appealing harmonies overlaid with a melody that is often curiously awkward in an intriguing way, for example (the beginning of 2cm has an awkward jump from the fourth scale degree to the tonic, over a tonic chord, which is very much not how I'd write a melody, but for that reason it stands out). And various other tracks have English lyrics that became memorable sometimes because I just couldn't make sense of ("what if our life is on every weekdays from ten to eleven thirty-five?", "we're only two centimeters away now / I'll be home again / I'll be home again / to a place I might have been").

This combination of simple instrumentation, tonal (and mostly diatonic) harmonies, and intriguingly awkward melodies is something that would come up again when, much more recently, I listened to Vienna Teng's "Waking Hour", and to a lesser extent (with more complex instrumentation and less awkward melodies) some songs by Michelle Branch and Owl City's "Ocean Eyes" (which has more rhythmic singing than Rie fu). Also contrast with Ritsuko Okazaki's songs, which also have simple instrumentation and tonal (mostly diatonic) harmonies, but very smooth and simple melodies, and besides the harmonies aren't just tonal but also follow very predictable and thus comfortingly familiar patterns (that are much closer to classical harmony than the somewhat more pop-inspired harmonic progressions the others have).
    i wrote music! just a little thing i came up with two days ago when i sat myself down at the piano in the evening
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/271465015289053185/334256088109285377/comforting_loop.mid
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/271465015289053185/334258389897183243/comforting_loop.pdf

4:55 AM] Quint Lindwurm: this is something that might play during the scoreboard display after a mariokart style race
    4:55 AM] Quint Lindwurm: maybe a battle victory fanfare?
    4:55 AM] Quint Lindwurm: or some other short-term moment of relaxation after a stressful activity
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    this is a good loop.
    I really like this. Maybe it's the piano or something but it definitely feels more relaxed than fit for victory fanfare.

Like if Pokemon had bike music this would be it (does Pokemon have bike music? I haven't played a game since like Black/White).
    Michelle Branch's "Everywhere" and Mai Kuraki's "Time After Time" start kinda similarly. Like, same texture/instrumentation.
  • edited 2017-07-19 04:31:29
    I've been listening to Bad Religion a lot lately. I can't decide if my favorite album is "Against the Grain" or "The Process of Belief."

• I wish there was a physical release of this game's songs.
  • edited 2017-07-20 15:40:22
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I think you just have to wait until whoever makes bad decisions at SE decides that's exactly what they need.

Also a full length anime.

I wish Crystal Kay would go back to doing music like Delicious na Kinyoubi instead of the 900 ballads per album thing she's doing.

I organized all of my English music today, into the following folders.

Breakdown, if anybody cares:

Artists I Like - 70
    Backstage - 10
    Disney Channel - 134
    Disney Channel Adjacent - 90
    Dolls - 97
    Eurovision - 74
    Folk - 68
    Glee - 18
    Other TV Stuff - 33
    Pop - 60
    R+J - A Romeo & Juliet Story - 12
    Rock - 33
    The Lodge - 17
    The Next Step - 71
    Winx Club - 50
    Wubwubwshrrrrr* - 38
    XO-IQ - 53

Of course the Disney Channel folder is the largest. The folder "Artists I Like" is just like, mostly Jack Savoretti, The Girl and the Dreamcatcher, Francesco Gabbani, Olivia Holt and Lofti Begi.

*From my short-lived dubstep phase.
  • Also a full length anime.

It will totally fail because it had to compete with Symphogear RX Dash Impact the Edgening and a bizarrely padded NoWaYu adaptation.
    NoWaYu, but two cour. Airing concurrently with Symphogear RXDIE and a random, new, even more disappointing version of LagRin.
    Nishino Kana used to be so goooooooooooooood
    now she can't stop pretending she's in her Namidairo phase -_-
    (not that anybody ever wants We Don't Stop to ever happen again)
  • It will be five cours and half of each episode is irrelevant content that might not even be in continuity like Chikage reviewing games and Tama in a cooking show.
    I can't believe you'd pick cooking over Tama Grylls Explores The Apocalyptic Outside.

I'd watch Chikage reviewing games as long as it was Shichinin ver. Chikage.

I have no music related stuff to say now except I wonder if Symphogear RXDIE's album covers will just be screenshots from the show, considering how little effort is going into those already.
    Is there an artist named "Backstage" and what's "Disney Channel Adjacent"?
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    Disney Channel music? oh crap
    Backstage is a Canadian TV series, like The Next Step. Funny thing is that Backstage has actual aspiring singers on it but there's way less music.

Disney Channel Adjacent is "these are artists who began their careers acting on the Disney Channel before being given recording deals by Hollywood Records or Cardinal Point, also Nickelodeon's forays into the musical market that aren't XO-IQ".

Just a rundown:
    • Ashley Tisdale (Sharpay in the High School Musical movies)
    • Aviva Mongillo (Alya on Backstage)
    • Backhouse Mike (One song, Superstars, OP to the second season of The Troop on Nickelodeon)
    • Bella Thorne (CeCe on Shake it Up!, currently starring as Paige on Famous In Love)
    • Demi Lovato (Mitchie in the Camp Rock movies, later Sonny on Sonny with a Chance)
    • Hilary Duff (Lizzie Maguire)
    • Jonas Brothers (JONAS, JONAS:LA)
    • Josh Bogert (Miles on Backstage)
    • Keke Palmer ([Name] in the movie Jump In!, and later the star of a musical from Nickelodeon called Rags)
    • Laura Marano (Ally on Austin & Ally, a show I hated with a passion, only started listening to her stuff when it ended)
    • Leon Thomas III (Andre on Victorious)
    • Lindsay Lohan (All from that one movie, Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen)
    • McClain (with, China Anne McClain, lead on A.N.T. Farm and Uma in new Descendants movie)
    • McKenzie Small (Scarlett on Backstage)
    • Miley Cyrus (Miley/Hannah in Hannah Montana)
    • Sabrina Carpenter (Maya in the "I watched like two episodes" Girl Meets World)
    • Sofia Carson (Evie in the Descendants movies)
    • Vanessa Hudgens (Gabriella in the High School Musical movies)
    • Victoria Justice (Tori on Victorious)

Don't be fooled if you see stuff like Demi Lovato or Selena Gomez on these lists, by the way. Once they crossed over into "serious" pop music I 100% stopped caring.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    ...but you cared before that.
  • edited 2017-07-20 07:35:08
    Once they crossed over into "serious" pop music I 100% stopped caring.
    So you're a hipster, then :p

Anyway, my English-language music folders...
    ...well, first, they're interspersed with the rest of my music folders, because I make no special categorization by language, so now I have to go through and pick them out. Okay, so now let's pick out the ones that actually have English lyrics, as opposed to no lyrics at all, or only lyrics of non-English languages...

ABBA; a-ha; Alvin and the Chipmunks; Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire; Angel Moxie*; Aqua; Aquaria*; The Asterisk War; Rick Astley; ATC; Avenged Sevenfold; Backstreet Boys; Beach Boys; The Beatles; The Bee Gees; Black Eyed Peas; Blue Öyster Cult; James Blunt; Boards of Canada; Bon Jovi; The Bots (Presidential Truth Filter); Bowling for Soup; Michelle Branch; Tracy Byrd; Belinda Carlisle; Vanessa Carlton; Cascada; Character Building Songs*; Cheers*; Chii Sakurabi; Ciara; Neil Cicierega; Kelly Clarkson; Coldplay; Conker's Bad Fur Day*; Coolio; Jonathan Coulton; crossovers*; Cutting Crew; Daft Punk; Dance Dance Revolution*; Charlie Daniels; Maurizio de Jorio; John Denver; Des'ree; DEVICE 6*; Disney Princess*; DJ Encore; DJ Jurgen; DJ Satomi; Thomas Dolby; dothack*; Dragon Age*; DragonForce; Dream; Hilary Duff; Dumbo*; Eagles; Eiffel 65...

Of course, a good number of these have only one track in them. (In some cases they're not even by the named artist but a remix of something.)

* = not an artist, but just a context
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Now that's quite a mix of styles.
    ...but you cared before that.

DC music is the best.
  • edited 2017-07-21 14:40:19

I can't get over how much this sounds like somebody forgot to tell Monaca they're not on Garo right now.

This is such a me thing to say.
  • edited 2017-07-30 09:36:05
    [04:33:13] Yeah everyday I listen to
    [04:33:23] possibly 50 different songs
    [04:33:36] I don't want to go over that but that's a good, low estimate

I think I listen to...probably around a song a day on average? Including non-vocal music, I definitely listen to more, though some of that may be music I've played myself, on the piano.

Now, if you include music that plays in my mind, then that number's higher...though still nowhere near 50.

Like, this past day:
    * listened to songs at church
    * thought about Guilty Crown's "Euterpe" and Melocure's "All in All"
    * actually listened to "Euterpe" (English dub)
    * attempted to transcribe "All in All" on piano
    * messed around with parts of Ys Origin's "My Lord, Our Brave", Ys Origin's "Scarlet Tempest", and Chrono Trigger's Magus's theme, and MadoMagi's "Magia" on piano
    * practiced Chopin's G# minor Étude Op. 25 #6
    * listened to various in-game music in the normal course of playing 100% Orange Juice

So I actually only listened to one anisong and/or J-pop song today (and it was in English), and thought of three including that one.
    It's early afternoon and I have already listened to:
    • MAG!C☆PRINCE - UPDATE (Single, two songs, a couple of times)
    • Utada Hikaru - Fantôme (Album, tenish songs?, twice)
    • Da-iCE - Tonikaku HEY (EP, five songs)
    • Aoi Shouta - Innocent (Single, three songs)
    • Hatano Wataru - Unmei no Coda (Single, three songs)
    • LAMA - Modanica (Album, thirteenish songs?, once)
    • BEATLESS - Tool for the Outsourcers (Doujin album, fiveish songs?)

Kind of surprising there was no lol today, there has been a looooot of lol lately.