If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

ITT: IJBM designs a Pokèmon game!

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Since 6 Legendaries is the number Johto had, which seems just right to me

Both of the newest generations have added 13 though.

Alkthash: I've already told you I like those first three Pokemon. I like that last one though.

• edited 2012-10-18 01:13:50
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

An electric/fire imp pokemon. Either a Mew stand in, or a speedy special attacker single form pokemon. Meant to represent the lightning storms and bush fires that are common in the outback. 

As for the last one in particular, I think it would work best as a speedy special attacker. Electric/fire would work best for it, and perhaps it could have an ability that makes it more effective against Grass-types?

• No rainbow star

Nova: And most people tend to have an issue with 13, as that's roughly 8-10% of all the Pokemon each generation

• I'm a damn twisted person

The only ability I could think that would make it more effective against Grass types beyond it's stats and typing is giving it drought as an ability. Which would be thematically appropriate for a bushfire pokemon I guess. 

• No rainbow star

^ Seems to be that the team wants to make some new abilities

No idea how hard that would be

• edited 2012-10-18 01:21:47
    Has friends besides tanks now

Since 6 Legendaries is the number Johto had, which seems just right to me

Hmm. It will probably vary from person to person, and certainly, it varies a ton from gen to gen--the percentage in Gen I was roughly 3.3%, but in Gen IV it was 12.1%, so there's a range of 8.8%, which is significant. I, personally, like Legendaries a lot, but I don't think should necessarily strive to constrain ourselves to any one standard because of how different the standards can get. We should evaluate based on what comes to us naturally, and what sticks without excessive force, and I'd imagine that's part of why Game Freak has changed its philosophy on legendaries over time.

Also, I like Alk's ideas a lot, no objections there, though nthing the electric/fire thing as a sweeper.

• edited 2012-10-18 01:19:27
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Nova: And most people tend to have an issue with 13, as that's roughly 8-10% of all the Pokemon each generation

I have never seen anybody having an issue with the number of legendaries in a game.

I imagine it would be different if it was one in four, but it's dependent on a number of factors.

• No rainbow star

^ Every generation starting with 3 I noticed non stop bitching about the number of legendaries

Oh dear god the bitching

• Has friends besides tanks now

It might be a thing with your communities, because I haven't seen much bitching about it, myself.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Unsurprising. Every generation starting with 2 faced nonstop bitching about everything.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Every generation starting with 3 I noticed non stop bitching about the number of legendaries

"There are too many legendaries! The first game only had five!"

"There are too many Pokemon! 151/251 was just the right number!"

"These new Pokemon look dumb! The old Pokemon were better!"

"All these regions suck, Kanto was so much cooler!"

Sound about right? 

• Pretty much.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Like the electric/thunder imp doesn't have to be a legendary. I'm content with just giving it drought for thematic reasons and scyther or tauros range base stat totals. 

• edited 2012-10-18 01:26:11

^^^ Yeeeep. Point being, Ica, there's such a thing as a stupid fan complaint, and it's more important that we evaluate legitimate, objective flaws.

• No rainbow star

Nova: Yeah, pretty much. Good point

Still posting the percentages I calculated for fun (funnily enough, it shows a DROP in the number of Legendaries in Generation V, but they still said that Gen V has even more legendaries than Gen IV and one day all the Pokemon are going to be legendaries):

Gen 1 - 3.3%
    Gen 2 - 6.0%
    Gen 3 - 7.4%
    Gen 4 - 12.1%
    Gen 5 - 8.3%

Total - 7.2%

• edited 2012-10-18 01:29:52

Admittedly, Gen V has more alternate formes than Gen IV. But I don't think it's terrible, myself.

Those calculations are bringing out the part of me, deep inside, that actually enjoyed Stats.

• edited 2012-10-18 01:29:44

Yeeeep. Point being, Ica, there's such a thing as a stupid fan complaint, and it's more important that we evaluate legitimate, objective flaws.

And the thing is, Legendaries aren't dragged down by having a dozen or so in a game.

It's fairly complicated. It's related to how difficult it is to get the Legendaries, how hard it is to catch them, the build up before you can approach them, the lore relating to the legendaries and how many people know of them, and how common the legendaries are related to the other Pokemon.

For example, each of the Legendaries in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald were still significantly harder to get than Bagon, despite Bagon only appearing in one area where low leveled Pokemon would wipe.

I don't think a dozen or so would be bad, although I don't think it will necessarily also be good. I just think we don't have to limit ourselves to just six (when we get around to making them).

• edited 2012-10-18 01:32:12

And the thing is, Legendaries aren't dragged down by having a dozen or so in a game.

Especially since, technically speaking, there's a lot more non-legendaries, in-universe, given that, well, nonlegendaries can breed, and the player will see much more of those pokemon anyway, highlighting how little space Legendaries really take, compared to what fan complaints would have you believe. It's not the same as if there was a unique non-Legendary you faced with every encounter, but from a strictly literal perspective, they are still quite the minority. :P

Just me being silly, don't mind me.

Question: to what extent are custom abilities possible? >.>

Except for Manaphy, fuckin' manaphy

• edited 2012-10-18 01:34:19

^^ Do you mean in terms of programming, or in terms of "how much is too much before we start inadvertently breaking the balance?"

The former. What I had in mind was actually a way of making a Pokèmon weaker.

Ah. Huh. Well, I don't know shit about that, so I'mma let that question be. ._.

• edited 2012-10-18 01:37:09
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

The basic idea: Koalas and Dropbears would both have the same ability, which has two effects: 

1. Sleeps for the first round of a fight

2. Appears to be a Koala when asleep

Just picture the player's first encounter with a Dropbear.

Niiice.

• No rainbow star

Ohhh fuck yes that needs to be done

It's like Zoroark's Illusion... But actually evil

Speaking of which

Mew is known for illusions. So why the fuck is Illusion not its hidden ability? Hell, it could pull that off perfectly, and would probably become quite a fierce threat in Ubers due to opponents never being able to know for certain until they damage the Pokemon

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

@CU: We could have wild ones hold Chesto Berries 50% of the time. So sometimes battles with them are a breeze and others are AJIGLAGHLIUAGLIHJVKJFEKTYUIIUGAJHAGGAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Important question: when does a Chesto berry take effect if the Pokèmon starts out asleep?

Please tell me the answer is "at the start of its action." That would be so perfect.

• No rainbow star

^ Yep

• edited 2012-10-18 01:49:31

Wait, no. . . . As soon as it falls asleep, the Berry counteracts that. So it would have to be a new Berry.