If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Symphogear was shit.

• You can change. You can.

Then after a while, I realized that Evangelion is more controversial than actually well-regarded, and that people don't talk about actually good shows like Eureka Seven.

I would say that Evangelion's actually really good. It has some aging issues and overall it has been overhyped but it does do what it wants to do and it does it right.

• Symphogear had vaguely mecha-musume looking magical girls, which means I automatically like it even though I haven't actually watched it yet.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Accel World's opening BD sales are in the 9000s...

WHY OTAKU WHY?

Projection?

You can't watch that show, it would imply it has something even approximating decent animation.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Symphogear had a bad walking scene, that's pretty much the extent of the bad animation. It was a pretty great show aside from the pacing (Though that was caused by production issues).

^^ Probably.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Given the criticisms y'all have said about Accel World, what good aspects does it have?

Well the premise has a lot of potential (total augmented reality via neuro-linked computers) and at least avoids SOME stupid harem cliches, at first. Then it just descends into generic shonen shit.

Basically, it's a fat sack of wasted potential.

The music is very good.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> pacing

This had better not be as bad as Jinki Extend's pacing.

Also, now i'm being tempted to watch Accel World.

• edited 2012-08-07 10:39:46
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Well, it's mostly to do with the last episode. Since it was originally supposed to be two cour I think they just crammed most of the final-ish things into Episode 13. If it had been like a three-parter (With the entire moon thing just being removed entirely) it would have worked.

There are waaaaaaaaay too many remakes this fall.

• edited 2012-08-07 15:57:26

So I just watched Blue Submarine No. 6.  It was great, one of the reasons being that it has an awesome jazzy soundtrack.  Also, weirdly, despite being made by Gonzo in 1998, the CG felt way less jarring and awful than in more recent Gonzo productions...

• I dunno, Gankutsuou looked pretty good to me, and that came out in 2004.

• edited 2012-08-07 16:13:58

But Gonzo also did things like Strike Witches, in which characters would constantly be switching in and out of CG-ness which looked awful (though admittedly, I can't actually remember if that happened in the first season or if it was only after AIC started doing the animation).  I think Saki was also similar, though not quite as bad.

• I don't care if Cyborg 009 is a remake. It's awesome and I'm watching it.

> Blue Submarine

I've seen Yellow Submarine.

• I'm not in such a good mood for some reason. Guess I'll just go back to my Evangelion rewatch...

...that's actually probably not such a good idea. Well, it's only episode 15, seems harmless enough.

Actually I don't think I have time anymore.

This rewatch (in anticipation of the big End of Eva rewatch with Frances in a few weeks) has been pretty fun so far. I forgot just how much little detail stuff around the edges, story- and character-wise, gets lost in Rebuild, glorious though Rebuild often is.

In the end, it doesn't really even matter whether or not the series is even any good. Because in the end, this all comes down to my best friend cosplaying Giant Naked Rei next year at her very first anime convention. Speaking of cosplay...if my one and only cosplay thus far is Furey from FMA, and Hyuga from Evangelion is basically identical to him...I need to get me a Nerv uniform, obviously. 

In episode 18, you get a bout of major dramatic irony, and then serious shit goes down hard at the end of the episode.

Re:Cyborg 009 is apparently movie, so no subs until next year.

Zetsuen no Tempest

BONES

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Anyway, is it time to start making one of those Next Season lists already?

Y'know, in light of the discussion about an entire Kingdom Hearts plot being just a huge communication problem, I have to ask...

Why do people like Nanoha A's so much?  Because its plot is also basically just a huge communication problem.

• edited 2012-08-08 03:21:05
    There is love everywhere, I already know

I'm not sure, I haven't seen anything Nanoha past first season.

Apparently DOG DAYS' spent a huge chunk of it's budget on Becky's... um... "transformation sequence "and it's now suffering from the ever-so-much-loved QUALITY.

• edited 2012-08-08 03:35:54

Why do people like Nanoha A's so much?  Because its plot is also basically just a huge communication problem.

Because Nanoha A's didn't spend a single second trying to be a magical girl show, but otherwise was about moeblobs shooting lasers at each other like the first season was.  Apparently, Nanoha fans who aren't me don't like the magical girl aspects of Nanoha despite it being named Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha.

• edited 2012-08-08 03:52:42
    a little muffled

@glennmagusharvey:

Not to the extent of some things. While, yes, the series would've been half as long if the two sides had been willing to talk to each other, but there was still an actual evil threat that needed confronting. (Not to mention that, in the absence of a better way to try and save Hayate, the Wolkenritter might well have continued with the original plan even if they knew how bad an idea it was.)

It's not like, for example, Gundam 0080, which made me want to yell at the screen due to the fact that the entire plot consists of the two pilots whose names I can't remember never telling each other the truth despite the fact that they spend half the series talking to each other.

^^ Isn't that because the majority of Nanoha fans don't like Magical girls at all and treat the entire thing as a military series?

• edited 2012-08-08 04:03:29
    a little muffled

I have nothing against magical girls at all, but I liked A's better because...I dunno, it had a better plot and I liked the Wolkenritter? Also I don't think including magical girl tropes makes it inherently better either.

I did think the first season was better than a lot of people seem to say it is.

I should really see it then. As much as I love Magical Girl series the original Nanoha was kinda flat.

• edited 2012-08-08 04:08:00

Also I don't think including magical girl tropes makes it inherently better either.

No, but it does make it more appealing to me.

That said, I really didn't think the plot of A's was particularly good or better than the first season.  In fact... it was pretty similar, the main difference being that A's was about characters I don't care about, whereas in the first season I actually liked Fate and therefore liked Nanoha's and Fate's relationship developing and whatnot.

moeblobs, blah.

• a little muffled

I would say that Nanoha actually has fewer moeblobs than you might think, but tbh I actually have no idea what "moeblob" means anymore.

• It never meant anything.  It's just something people say to describe a character they don't like.  Or I say to describe a character that... is in an anime, at all.  Because I like the sound.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I really didn't think the plot of A's was particularly good or better than the first season.  In fact... it was pretty similar, the main difference being that A's was about characters I don't care about, whereas in the first season I actually liked Fate and therefore liked Nanoha's and Fate's relationship developing and whatnot.

Yeah. Although I do like Signum a bit.