If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Just finished watching Moyashimon.

This series confuses me. And not with the microbes part. I can look up everything in Wikipedia and I learned about some interesting foods too. But. I'm confused. And maybe it's a good thing.

I kinda lost interest in it after marathoning like 8 episodes in an evening. And it shifted its focus away from just showing off microbes. But then it managed to create some interestingly thoughtful dialogue in the characters' interactions. Yet I also still can't help but laugh delightfully at how silly this show can be.

I don't know how I feel about this. But in a good way.
    Meanwhile

> 3 AM on the clock
    > Gab-chan: "Why would I go to bed this early?"

dangit gabriel
    you're managing to make ME look bad
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Persona 4 the Golden Animation reminded me that anime not Aikatsu Stars! can also be good.

I guess it hasn't been that long since Fall, and I did just have a bunch of moments fondly remembering Infini-T Force this week, but this cour has really been something else.

I read this article on aeon recently, and whilst aeon's take on modern fiction is that we (the consumers of said fiction) are all low brow losers who are actually being socially oppressed by the fiction we consume, it was right about one thing.

There's a lot of work out there that's basically an ad to get you to buy goods, and these shows pack themselves full of color-coded characters and not much else. It's easy enough to become jaded about these things and not see an actual forest. Shows like Sanrio Danshi, that possibly might actually address a very real issue (these boys like something considered extremely feminine) is, in my eyes, forced to become mostly about how awesome My Melo and Hello Kitty are. In turn, the boys who like these things are six perfectly pretty boys who don't actually face much issue after the first episode or so.

This is a mild example, and I should have possibly given it more time. An extreme example would be StarMyu, which really packed the first season of twelve entire episodes with 25 or so "important" characters, most of whom were never even given names. Somehow, it (mostly) worked, and combined music with a good plot.

The second season took this and ran with it, cramming in about 40-50 named characters, most of whom failed to matter. On the bright side; at least it was trying. In the meantime, Tsukiuta. The Animation had aired, and that was just a string of OVAs to sell character CDs. Tsukipro. soon followed, and so on. UtaPri's cast of eligible bachelors for the main character climbed from seven to twenty-something.

I shouldn't really be the one who decides what anime should "be", really. These shows have their audiences, and people enjoy getting goods of the characters they like, even if the "character" is just "design+theme colour+seiyuu". It's just hard to not get thrown by these things.

tl;dr bring back the plots
    SHINFOGIA 5D's, coming April next year.

OG Symphogear was Winter, but every subsequent season was Summer, does that mean this might be two cour? I guess there'll be more information at the LIVE 2018 event.

Two cours of thinking about how the last tolerable Symphogear anime was G?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I watched Maid Dragon. I came for the tits but stayed for the cute.
  • edited 2018-03-04 09:14:15
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I'm watching Gabriel DropOut.

For whatever reason that show is in a mental group (for me) with Maid Dragon. Probably because they aired at around the same time.

Maid Dragon has stayed popular a lot longer for (another) whatever reason.
    oh hey it's WIXOSS All Stars

I can't believe Kiyoi is actually the main character now. I should be more surprised at how all of the guys were kicked out of the show, but the show didn't do much with that concept anyways.
  • edited 2018-03-05 16:31:28

Orange Cornflakes Wixoss looks overstuffed to the point that I'm expecting like half the returning cast to end up not really doing anything.
    I feel like I'm way more excited about anime that's coming up at least 9 months in the future than what's coming up now. This is probably because you can build stuff up really big expectations about stuff without PVs yet.

That said, this cour was ridiculous with the SoL shows, so next cour should be better.

Really excited for Carol & Tuesday though.

• Magical Girl Site seems like such a weird choice for this kind of promo video.
    GoHands is producing a new "female demographic" show about male DJs, which sounds fun. Somebody remarked that this meant less ridiculous fanservice involving female characters, at which I remembered how weird K RETURN OF KINGS was with that.
    I wonder if I should rewatch Yukikaze.
  • WI1SgKm.jpg

66pcf3K.jpg

This is at least a smarter way of dealing with the comic relief duo's inadequacies than, well...
    Oh hey someone actually went to Cuenca and cosplayed as Kanata there.

I always find a great amount of satisfaction in a good anime news day.
    I'm realizing I don't like the trope of "calling your attacks".

PSO2 lacks them, thankfully.
  • edited 2018-03-20 08:39:33
    So I'm reading the TVT page for the PSO2 anime and it turns out that the beginning of the show is meant to look like a slice-of-life thing but with subtle hints to the PSO2 game. If you haven't played it, though, those subtle hints fall flat, making the show appear to be merely about advertising the game to newbies.

So basically, the show is a lot funnier and/or more meaningful if you pick up on these things. Apparently the English fanbase hated the show, which makes sense since PSO2 never got an English-version release.
  • making the show appear to be merely about advertising the game to newbies.

But the intention was the opposite, basically amounting to inside baseball?
  • edited 2018-03-20 15:45:30
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Apparently the English fanbase hated the show

Nobody in any English speaking fandom likes something that isn't the original work, starting with any and all sequels and going on from there.
    the show is a lot funnier and/or more meaningful if you pick up on these things

I feel like TVT always claims this but it's never true. I mean, references in and of themselves won't ever be break your back funny. The first half of the show is probably the stronger half anyways, with lots of different characters who don't even have much to do with PSO2 hanging out with the MCs in fun ways.
  • edited 2018-03-20 15:55:09
    The first half of the show is probably the stronger half
    I'm surprised you say this, since I found the character interactions ham-handed, but then once the "real" premise got going, the show got more interesting, albeit sometimes still with ham-handed interactions.
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    making the show appear to be merely about advertising the game to newbies.

But the intention was the opposite, basically amounting to inside baseball?
    Well, the lead character is introduced to the game for the first time, the show features explanations of concepts and terms from the game, and even "explains" such general internet concepts as trolling behavior. So maybe it was an attempt at offering "something for everyone"?
  • I don't know if I should call that misguided but I guess it's not as weird as like, the Fate/Extra anime, that seems like it manages to be really weird even for people who played the source material.

• Oh wow a Million Arthur TV anime.

Can't wait for whoever's subtitling this ending up dazed and confused from trying to figure out dialogue where at least six major characters have the same name. (Note that all the characters introduced here are variations of "[something] Arthur")
    @fourteenwings I have a feeling that this post will interest you even if you don't agree with it completely. https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1716586&show=0#msg54678550
    Is it weird that I think of Aruji Naki Sono Koe as a better overall song than Kibou ni Tsuite in some regards?

Also; all anime have the best OP.
  • YT recommended a PV for this and the casting made me laugh

https://myanimelist.net/anime/37517/Happy_Sugar_Life
    so

Gabriel DropOut has a character named Tapris, who is apparently named after the angel Tabris. (The other characters are all named after well-known angels and demons -- Gabriel, Vine, Raphael, and Satanachia.)

So I go look up the angel Tabris to get more information on the source character. Except, I can't seem to find more information about this angel, except for sources related to Evangelion's character with the same name.

I remember looking up info about Evangelion's angels, of whom Tabris is one of course, about a decade ago, back when I watched the show and got interested in the iconography and lore of it. I do remember it being cited that Tabris is apparently "the angel of free will", but I don't remember finding a source. Wikipedia currently says this, and its source is an error page now. The Evangelion Wikia says the same thing, but with no source. EvaGeeks says basically the same thing, but also offers the spelling "Tabrith". I also remember reading that it's also spelled "Tabrias", except nothing comes up when I search for that (and it takes extra search terms to make Google not bring up the name "Tabria" nor Evangelion-related stuff).

So, barring uncovering some further information...is Tap-chan really named after a angel made up for Evangelion, whose only known angelic "claim" beyond this is having an Arabic name?
  • Reminds me of how so much pop culture stuff leans on the idea that the Pharoah of Exodus was Ramesses II/Ozymandias even though I can only find that association in modern sources.
  • sOgtyNQ.jpg

She was so happy about this.

i2G3ceV.jpg

They just had to draw her looking smug.