If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I've always thought Kirito's character design is great but it's attached to Kirito so...
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I'm still not sure whether Kirito's character design was meant to look like a girl on purpose or was just something that happened.
  • Do you mean the character design they're using now or the one from back when Kawahara wrote most of SAO?

What I could find of the older design(s) seems all over the place.

UEsBG6o.png

sC8D3MB.jpg

I meant the ones they used for SAO2 the anime, but wow, haha.
  • edited 2018-05-31 14:10:14
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I'm so glad that for some reason (probably the power of the Yuri Dark Horse) Yurika and Kaede won the final ever PhotoKatsu! Unit Cup. Relatedly; cute art of Ichigo and her mother from the same unit cup.

As for Kirito, aside from the long hair I'm pretty sure they just changed details on his face and added the long hair entirely for the effect of making him look a bit more feminine (I think heard somebody say this is a plot point or a comedic thing at times but I can't be sure).
    So much anime news came out today and MAL is still down so I have nowhere to document it.
    So much anime news came out today and MAL is still down so I have nowhere to document it.

just post it here lol
    Girly Air Force has an anime coming up, by Satelight. Usually, I'll be like "goodness gracious another LN anime about a boy without special powers being MC over the girls", but I'm quite chuffed about this one. The designs are pretty and the concept sounds fun.

ONGAKU SHOUJO PV WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SANJO NO HOLMES PV WOOO (I can't believe I'm excited by a Seven anime)

Re'Union, my favorite LN anime from next cour (yes I have one) has announced four cast members and a whole bevy of designs for other characters. I particularly love MC's pants. It's also being made by Lerche, and I cannot stress how much Lerche is practically DEEN levels of the best.

This months BBC Films to Watch list included Okada Mari's directorial debut, Maquia. It was quite something to see that there (but not as fun to see them call her an "unknown".

ISLAND suddenly got appealing, I'm not sure why.

I should totally become an anime news aggregator person. If only that didn't involve so much work.
    Celebrate International Children's Day with New "Prisma Illya" Figure
    Crunchyroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooll...
    Celebrate International Children's Day with New "Prisma Illya" Figure
    whywouldyoudothat_2_3571.jpg
  • edited 2018-06-07 04:57:33
    Weird Aikatsu! related thoughts I've had lately:
    • The episode of Aikatsu! Akari Generation where Hinaki learns from her past mistakes and accepts her own voice in fashion has a great lesson to it, but it also contains a wonderful lesson on the perils of fast fashion. After Hinaki's sleeve rips, she easily rips off the other hand. Akari and Sumire, in a show of unity, also rip some pieces off of their clothing. Clothing should not be that easy to tear.
    • Tim Cook did an interview with CNN where he suggested Apple should be left to police and regulate itself, as usual. I decided that Tim Cook was way worse than Mark Zuckerberg because he'd always been on the idol course (as a CEO) and never on the producer course (ie a programmer). Which is funny, because he (sort of) looks like the only idol who was ever on the producer course; Saegusa Kii.
    KING of PRISM is getting a new movie series and a TV anime series and I think I just died a bit in pure happiness.
  • edited 2018-06-11 09:40:03
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Was looking for something else (the soundtrack of Dragon Crisis, specifically), but stumbled across this interpretation of the events of the final episode of Yosuga no Sora. Hadn't really thought much about it myself so it was interesting to read.

WARNING: serious/tragedy/heavy. also spoilers obviously.

http://bridgebunnies.com/?p=2271

• There is an anime version of Minase's beverage commercial. Because of course there is.
    I like moments like these.

> villain reveals a bunch of damning information to the protag
    > protag gives in
    > gives villain what villain wants
    > other knowledgeable character finds out about this
    > basically says "the villain just bullshitted at you with a bunch of lies and you're gonna believe it? seriously dude it was glaringly obvious"

> character wears a distinctive article of clothing
    > character is known to have a special ability
    > does not reveal special ability
    > (erstwhile) villain demands to know why character wears that clothing
    > character refuses to answer or just states that it is personal preference (I can't remember which)
    > much later, character's special ability revealed to be completely unrelated to said article of clothing
    That first one is so hit or miss though.
    [02:50:49] [GMH> is there a reason i asociate black bullet and aria the scarlet ammo
    [02:51:12] [fourteenwings> BLACK AND RED BULLET
    [02:51:17] [GMH> ah
    [02:51:25] [GMH> best answer
  • edited 2018-06-17 07:38:23
    the more Date A Live I try to watch the more the show irritates me
    lw610q0y47p1.jpg

This is still something that bugs me. How is this meant to match up 1:1?
    It feels weird that that was translated Romaji:Runes and not Katakana:Runes.

I watched some Eureka Seven AO today. It still holds up, and I'm glad I revisited it. Koji Nakamura is a musical genious.

I also watched Seikaisuru Kado: Beyond Information. It is hilarious how it holds up even less once streamlined. Cutting out 70% the second half made it better in some ways, but it now also only barely makes sense (the only thing given in the way of an explanation is a 2 second shot of a production factory).

I genuinely thought the ending had been improved by leaps and bounds when it paused once Shindo told zaShunina he'd made the wrong decisions up to this point, but it just. kept. going.

Plus, I still don't understand the reasoning of this plot. On one hand, if the Anisotropic beings created the Earth for the express purpose of harvesting information, they should probably be allowed to. Not only that, but being able to give humanity the ability to live a billion years (!!!) doesn't sound so bad.

Saraka continuously downgrading the universe's mechanisms just so things can progress at the pace she finds comfortable is annoying, because that means she's gone past every single war in human history and just let it happen. She's much worse than zaShunina, who accidentally hurt Shindo once (whilst trying to eliminate Saraka) and almost immediately realized what he'd done was wrong.

She definitely feels like a scientist who has gone way too far into her own experiment to see what's right anymore. It's even worse because she's the one who made the universe she's inhabiting. At some point, she had the power to cure everybody of everything but she chooses not to do it because humans need to overcome everything by themselves, or something? But humanity is just an artificial thing inside a universe cocoon, and it makes no sense that she's treating it as if there's something special in allowing us all to suffer.

At one point, zaShunina says the uniqueness that can't be cloned is due to "two of the same vector/organism being assigned different values" and it was like dude, this isn't basic programming, you're a magical extradimensional being, you should know that.

Well, at least this time Saraka didn't sexually assault Shindo whilst he was asleep/half dead, and their relationship (and eventual child) being contrasted with zaShunina's feelings for Shindo didn't make it come off like a man having romantic feelings for another man was part of his devious unnatural ways.

In the end, I guess the ending was way better than "Our fifteen year old magical anisotropic/human child who was raised in .5 seconds in a time bubble comes to save the world... somehow".

Oh and by the way Saraka has lied to everybody she's ever known and will probably continue to do so when she's reborn by possessing somebody else's baby. I have no idea who decided she should be the voice of reason.

Also; I've always liked the Nanomis-hein, which was basically an on the go rom-hacking tool for real life. This show (movie now, I guess) was always really great until it turned into an LN anime.
  • edited 2018-06-18 15:01:45

Seems like other people who tried decoding the title screen came to the same conclusion -- they just sorta mangled it.

h/t to someone else who dug this up
  • edited 2018-06-19 04:54:35
    Maybe the most unique thing about YuYuYu is how despite all the locations based on places from IRL Japan, Tokyo never shows up

I think that might be because YuYuYu tried to present the strangest most authentic version of "what if the gods tried to murder us all" that "the little girls would save us!" would allow.

Thematically, Tokyo seems to call for some technical innovation, so it chose to establish itself in way more "rural" places connected to the overall "spirituality" of the land.

Though this isn't guaranteed anymore thanks to YuNoShou's ending. Who knows what happens next?
  • edited 2018-06-21 00:04:21
    I remembered I was supposed to post here.
    > villain reveals a bunch of damning information to the protag
    > protag gives in
    > gives villain what villain wants
    > other knowledgeable character finds out about this
    > basically says "the villain just bullshitted at you with a bunch of lies and you're gonna believe it? seriously dude it was glaringly obvious"
    I liked when FFVII did it. Though in that case the knowledgeable character kinda helped support villain's point.
    Of all the anime coming up this year, I'm most excited by RELEASE THE SPYCE. I'm not going to claim TAKAHIRO has some sort of world-ending gift when it comes to coherent storytelling, but he's a way more competent creator than most would hope to be.

I'm most interested in his sprawling narratives that branch multiple teams across different timelines in the same setting, like YuYuYu. I hope it can find a similar foothold in the anime zeitgeist.
  • different timelines

You mean time periods, right?
    Well, yeah.

Though YuYuYui is it's own... something.
    I think even with all of the insanity of Lostorage [series] WIXOSS, by which I mean very spotty overall plotting, I'll always believe in the integrity of it's characters.

Homura Suzuko is probably one of my favorite card game anime characters in all of ever. There's just something about the way she does things, a real energy and strength about it. I think she communicates perfectly how an anime character can really grab your heart.

She's a real leader, even in situations where she finds herself a follower. She's always thinking before she acts, always putting her friends first. She takes calculating moves, but never in a way that feels too choreographed or devious. Her relationships are all well-charted, from her OG Lostorage friends to her budding relationship with Kiyoi, which really amazed me in episode 11 of conflated.

And for goodness sakes, girl makes a mean choco-banana anything.
    I'm 3 episodes into Yatterman Night and I'm liking it. It's already brought me tears and smiles.
  • edited 2018-06-26 16:04:21
    There sure is quite a bit of LN anime next cour:
    • Shichisei no Subaru (Seven Senses of the Re'Union); Sounds suspiciously like AnoHana but in a virtual world. I actually have my eye on this, but I'm not ready to commit.
    • Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu (How Not to Summon a Demon Lord); This premise is ridiculous even for an LN anime. Two summoners try to get a cool Demon Lord slave guy, and accidentally isekai some loser instead and also somehow manage to enslave themselves to him. It's hilarious, but not intended as such. What's much more intended is all the fanservice.
    • Hyakuren no Haou to Seiyaku no Valkyria (Master of Ragnarok and Blesser of Einhejar); I love this English title so much, I just want to spend all day saying it. The premise is your basic isekai, with the added bonus of a solar powered smartphone that somehow still gets signal (joining it's fellow series Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni in this field). I like the character designs (courtesy of Itou Mariko), and there's have a nice isekai vibe to the outfits.
    • Kyoto Teramachi Senjou no Holmes; a combination mystery/reverse harem series about a girl who is a genius... antique appraiser. I think the mystery bit could be fun, and I genuinely die over a good blonde "oneesan" boy (Phantom in the Twilight has one too, but that's an original anime), but this is by our friends at Seven, famous for creating Ousama Game. So... yeah, I've been warned.
  • Senjou no Valkyria

That's a different thing.