If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2018-04-10 07:00:45
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Whatever works for you is probably best. I used to be big into video games, but lately when I try and incorporate them into my every day I find that they really mess with my schedule. I used to be super big into the DCW, but then the collective idiocy of the writing means I start actually skipping through episodes.

I mean, if you find that you like anime and it isn't messing with your schedule too much, go for it. I find that it takes up a lot of time to keep up with everything if you're a seasonal person like me. Especially when it comes to the shows you're not watching and the prospective shows like five seasons ahead of this one.

This might seem like weird advice coming from me, but it's the kind I wish somebody bothered to give me at some point. Right now I've worked out a schedule that (sort of?) works; I'll have four or so anime I'm watching at any given point. I'll use the space between seasons to catch up with YA I'm interested in, and anything in between is used to keep up with Kamen Rider Build. That and my Gossip Girl rewatch.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Just watched the first episode of Caligula. It was a pretty brilliant premiere. A pseudo-philosophical main character with a dash of nicely choreographed art-house insanity never fails. Plus, you can't not like a show where the in-house idol sings about how terrible it is to find out you weren't special after all.
  • edited 2018-04-11 16:24:33
    I don't know what this means for like, T7S where the main girl starts out by telling you that the group is made up of non-special people.
    I bet they all find their sparkling resolution eventually. μ's (darn it) songs are literally just "When I was a kid I thought I was special, but real life quickly rid me of those delusional thoughts.".
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Aspiring astronomer is unconvinced he's not seeing a black cat. Film at 11
    I wouldn't even believe saying this 24 hours ago about a Manga Time Kirara thing, but Comic Girls is great. It's so funny that I was laughing throughout the episode.

The characters are fun and cute and half-depressed as heck, which is a great balance. The direction was actually epic at points, which is nice for such a 'normal' story. It was just brilliant overall.
  • edited 2018-04-18 15:39:55
    I really need to make my decisions for this cour now. There's no way I'd ever let go of Aikatsu Friends! or Last Period, but the rest feels like it's all up in the air now. I've grown quite fond of Gundam Build Divers already, so that's semi-solid.

That leaves Bouei-bu HK!, Comic Girls and Caligula. Caligula has that serious edge and a nice directorial touch, but I have a long history with the Bouei-bu series. it's been good to me during past seasons and a side from a few off-color stereotype jokes so far, I'm convinced this season will be a great ride.

Lots of thinking to do~
  • But what about Wixoss?
    Probably going to do a half-marathon of six episodes since I'll have some time right before school gets insane, then I'll do up to episode 10 after I'm done with school and be caught up right before the ending.

I did actually work this out on a physical calendar quite a few days ago <_<
    > long (13+ mins) digibro video on why he prefers subs over dubs

> lots of commentary about quality of voice acting

> right at the end

> "Immersion doesn't mean anything to me; I don;t give a fuck; I'd rather just listen to voices I like."

well he finally said something interesting that wasn't something i really predicted
  • edited 2018-04-28 08:22:12
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Copypasted comments about some dubs I've run across so far:

Absolute Duo - Reasonably fun. Lilith's British accent is the most fun aspect of the voicework specifically.

Angel Beats! - Pretty solid. Definitely gets my favorite character, Yurippe, right. If TK also utters gratuitous English in his Japanese script, then I'd say the English version works better for him. Aside from these two, everything worked generally worked right, aside from maybe Angel sounding awkwardly elegant, but it seems Angel is meant to be awkwardly elegant anyway, so that was probably intentional.

Baldr Force EXE Resolution - I remember feeling kinda meh toward this. Not sure if it's because the story is just too short to really show me the complex setting (it IS part of a VN series, after all), or if the dub is just meh.

Black Bullet - Enju's Japanese voice is in the Japanese version is your standard cute girl voice. Enju's English voice on the other hand is absolutely stellar, and without it I would probably have dropped this series. Luci Christian's expressiveness with voicing this character really brings out the rollercoaster of emotions this story contains.

Chaika the Coffin Princess - I did watch the entire first season subbed, then watch bits of the dub, and then I felt that the sub job (whosever it was that I watched) alongside Chaika's Japanese voice acting deliver her poor grasp of language very well. The dub still breaks her grammar, as it's supposed to, but it gives her very clear enunciation and the same accent as the rest of the cast, as if she is quite fluent with pronunciation but just not grammar, and somehow that just felt a bit weird (in a bad, immersion-breaking way) to me, so I recommend the sub on this one.

Cross Angel - Very solid. Emily Neves's performance as Ange is stellar, and definitely carries the series. I can understand wanting to watch this subbed so you can enjoy Nana Mizuki's voice (she voices Ange, of course), but the dub version is no slouch at all.

The Tower of Druaga - Just generally solid all-around. Todd Haberkorn plays the clueless lead protagonist Jil, but that's actually exactly what his role is supposed to be in the story, and most everyone else plays off of him quite well, including (most importantly) characters like Kaaya and Neeba. And besides, this is one of those series that isn't even set in Japan -- it's a JRPG-style fantasy world inspired by the ancient Middle East.

Fire Emblem - This two-episode OVA is hardly worth watching, but for what it's worth, Sheeda/Caeda does sound a little more annoying than she needs to be, but it seems like it's due more to her actions of trying to be clingy toward Marth, than anything specific to the dub. However, Marth's name is pronounced "Mars". (Kinda justified since the series didn't exist in the west at the time, at all. Incidentally, Marth debuted here, not in Smash Bros..)

Fractale - This story is sorta curiously weird, but the dub performance is definitely solid. Everyone's voices sound quite natural, and Nessa in particular is spot-on.

Heavy Object - Oh boy, this dub got the characters' attitudes spot on. My only qualm is that Qwenthur can sometimes give lengthy explanations in the midst of battle -- but I think this is the case in the original Japanese version too, so it's not the fault of the dub.

Kannazuki no Miko - I tried watching this dubbed. It felt awkward. I switched to sub. Much better. Now I actually want to keep watching.

Kiddy Grade - I absolutely love Colleen Clinkenbeard's performance as Éclair here. Like with Ange in Cross Ange, the strong performance that Éclair gets really does carry the series, in my opinion. The other voices are generally not bad either, though they did make the mistake of calling Armbrust "Armblast" -- they actually realized they made the mistake in the midst of dubbing it, but they decided to stick with the name for the sake of consistency (and I guess it's okay since his partner's name, "Pfeilspitze", never comes up. That name pairing explains the theme naming, though that hardly matters to the story).

Kyoukai no Kanata (Beyond the Boundary) - I didn't expect to like this at first, and at first I even thought Mirai felt awkward. But by the end of the story I had grown quite fond of the cast, and everything worked out right, and I had tears streaming down my face of course. That's how I know it worked. :P

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha - I watched this subbed first, so maybe I'm biased in favor of that, but it seems that people generally feel meh toward the dub of this show, and I'm inclined to agree. Besides, it hasn't been dubbed beyond A's so you'll need to get used to the Japanese voices for StrikerS and the ViVid spinoffs anyway.

Problem Children - I never even expected to like this show. Somehow the main characters' performances made me enjoy them. Izayoi, specifically, is an asshole in-universe, but the dub makes him a very entertaining one, and his two companions are solid as well.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - I didn't really enjoy this, and the reasons are probably rather complicated, but I wonder if it might have worked better had I watched it subbed. The series is more about establishing an atmosphere of mystique, with complex setting details, and the way I ended up getting it was basically as a pile of words. Not sure if I just don't like piles of words, or if having them delivered in my own language as opposed to something foreign ruined the mystique somewhat. (Then again, on the other hand, native Japanese speakers would have heard it in their own native language too, so...)

Planetarian - Yumemi talks a lot. She is frequently be awkward. But it seems to be intentional, so... Meanwhile, Kuzuya definitely gets the attitude spot-on -- it's like he's expressing my frustrations at dealing with Yumemi, haha.

Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor - This is another example of a series that's carried by a central character, and boy does Glenn Radars's English voice succeed at this. The voicework delivers his characteristic attitude extremely well.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - as various others have pointed out, Kyon's deadpan commentary really makes this show shine.

A Certain Scientific Railgun - For some reason I feel meh at this dub. The individual voices seem quite nice, though, so maybe the script just feels a bit awkward at times. Not sure. Other people have praised this dub, so whatever.

Stellvia of the Universe - this is an example of a show whose dub script stays very close to the sub script, and I remember being less excited about this than about some other shows.

Stratos 4 - I watched this subbed and was fine with the voices. Later I watched a bit of the dub and didn't really like the voices.

Ys - This old series has a curious feature -- it was made back when changing the background music was a thing. The two scripts also differ significantly. I haven't watched the subbed version much, but I am pretty sure both versions use genuine Ys series music (the dub certainly does). Why they didn't just share the music, I have no idea. The dub by itself is fine (though very "80s" in style), aside from using now non-canon romanizations of the two goddesses' names.
  • edited 2018-04-28 10:21:58
    The series is more about establishing an atmosphere of mystique, with complex setting details, and the way I ended up getting it was basically as a pile of words. Not sure if I just don't like piles of words, or if having them delivered in my own language as opposed to something foreign ruined the mystique somewhat.

The setting is not very complex and (this is something I've been thinking about for a while) "piles of words" is quantifiably untrue. I have several versions of subtitles for this show and the fansubs with minimal typesetting (gg and yesy) tend to be around 30-something kB, which is exactly the size I expect from any random half hour episode of anime (there are very few outliers that aren't due to formatting on signs and song lyrics). The "Aniplex with typesetting" scripts tend to be a bigger with three episodes going above 40, but cutting out the songs gets even the largest of those files not much bigger than I'd expect from say, the subtitle track to an HS rip from Crunchyroll (which also tends to lack song lyrics).
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - as various others have pointed out, Kyon's deadpan commentary really makes this show shine.

Does it really? I remember a (somewhat) recent review saying that it's an element that makes the show harder to watch nowadays.
    I only watched one episode of Haruhi dubbed (episode 0) and Yuki's voice actress left an impression, so that's good.

I've also always liked Anemone's English voice better than her Japanese one, because she sounds younger in English.

By the way, GMH, Anemone is a magical idol now. Also I think I'm getting confused as to what BONES want from Pocket ga Niji de Ippai and what they don't considering the mecha from it appear in Eureka Seven AO and the tiny Nirvash conduits appear in Hi-Evolution but the actual plot of Pocket ga Niji de Ippai is so different they could never fit in either universe.
  • edited 2018-04-28 15:42:13
    Oh shit I totally forgot Eureka Seven in that list.

I remember Eureka's voice being a bit higher than I expected, but everything worked out fine.
    Actual Lostorage Planning Meeting
    Takara Execs: We also have this new element; Key Cards.
    Lostorage Staff: What do they do?
    Execs: Like you've ever paid attention to the rules of the game before.
    Staff: *foam at mouth in excitement*
  • edited 2018-04-29 12:35:43
    New Princess Principal theatrical movie series next year. This means I have all the Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution movies to care about, then the K SEVEN STORIES movies to look forward to.

This is a lot of sequel movies.

It's funny now we technically already know how Hi-Evolution ends, maybe? Like I can see the ending of 3 being a real downerbut I doubt that'll actually happen.
  • edited 2018-05-05 20:47:54
    Finished watching Brynhildr in the Darkness.

I enjoyed it.

Could have done with less fanservice/rom-com aspects -- romantic drama would be more appropriate to the overall sci-fi/horror/supernatural themes. And apparently this is a common criticism of the show, relative to the manga it's adapted from? Along with people saying it was a rushed adaptation that compressed like 100 chapters or volumes of the manga into one cour.

But I still think it worked. It did a good job in foreshadowing and addressing various details.
    > intend to watch SAO2
    > see Suzuka
    > watch Suzuka instead

#thingsthathappentome
    Can she clear 169 cm in a high jump event?
  • edited 2018-05-10 17:53:50
    For some reason I decided to watch the Killing Bites anime.

I did not expect what was almost the same ending as the Ousama Game anime. (though that was far from the worst of its problems)
    Me the other day: You know what would be cool? If BanG Dream! and other band anime featured bands of mixed genders.

Bushiroad president: My precious waifus and your sick husbandos will never, ever mix.

Also Argonavis' body structures remind me of Free! guys.
  • Anime News Network did a piece about the Kino's Journey author and how Gun Gale Online is actually just about entirely expected if you have familiarity with the guy.

The main points were all things I already knew, which is honestly a little surprising.
    I feel like the only things I ever learn from ANN are through Answerman, all of their other research on things I care about kind of pales in comparison to my own/others.
  • I think they've been pretty good for things that aren't in English anywhere. Like stuff from Okada's autobiography. Which I think is getting an English translation soon but by one of ANN's people.
  • edited 2018-05-20 11:23:42
    It's a J-Novel book. I don't actually know who J-Novels translators are but it's a whole other thing.

Huh I guess the translator does also work for ANN as well as J-Novel club.
    Places I visited lately: Giuvigiuvi Island
    This was a surprisingly good read.