If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I really want to comment on tinnitus in fiction but

THE AIKATSU FRIENDS! BATON TOUCH VIDEO CAME OUT.

D E
    A D F# C#
    Ab Cb Eb Gb Bb
  • I don't know if it's good or bad how much the voices in Aho Girl make it sound like a weird Symphogear side project.
  • edited 2018-02-05 04:48:57
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    K-On has a turtle on the top of a handrails at the school.

suddenly i need to watch this show.
  • edited 2018-02-05 18:44:50
    When you get past all the ideas this particular anime explores, it is easy to see where they all came from. Expelled from the Paradise is created by Gen Urobuchi whose major works like Psycho Pass and Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica are packed with sci-fi ideas. He does not write classical stories about clashes of good and evil, but about clashes of different views and ideologies. Some of his philosophical themes, such as the deconstruction of utilitarianism, are also present in the movie. Those who like films exploring the modern problems arising from using new technologies are definitely recommended to check it out.
    (source: https://myanimelist.net/featured/495/Expelled_from_Paradise__A_Very_Possible_Scenario )

I think I figured out one thing: I'm interested in (taking the risk of trying to find opportunities for) seeing stories that do combine a clash of good and evil with a clash of different ideologies.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    It's hilarious that the host for the Final Tournament in Aikatsu Stars! is a (slightly skinnier) version of the director of the show.

More seriously; I don't think I've watched a show that has raised real questions in a while. Infini-T Force kind of started out that way, but it... really really decided to blow itself up. Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau was a great story, but it was bad at concepts and themes.

Right now I am actually considering watching Kanojo ga Flag wo Owaretara just so I know I can still finish things, because it doesn't look promising* at the moment.

Wait, no, I have watched a show with meaning. It just happened to be a short show that never fleshed itself out (Taishou Mebiusline Chicchai-san).

*It is possibly terrible
    FWIW I posted that last thing not because I want to drone on about MadoMagi again, but because I just watched Expelled From Paradise.
  • I wonder how far I can get through Aho Girl before the novelty of "bizarre Symphogear reunion party" wears out.
  • edited 2018-02-07 15:45:05
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I don't think Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens is a very good show, or one with a lot of things to say in any specific way, but I do think it is an interesting experience in watching people be the worst but yet remaining civil all the while.

Of course I don't think that means I think it's worth watching either.
  • edited 2018-02-08 20:27:32
    I didn't know Maaya Sakamoto did acting too.
  • She plays a surprisingly high number of Fate characters.
  • edited 2018-02-09 10:55:09
    Well, I finished watching Yosuga no Sora.

I'm not sure how to feel about this series. And I'm not even talking about the omake.

The second half of this series was definitely significantly more...complicated than the first, in terms of the characterization and backstories.

FWIW they do introduce backstory late in the series that isn't relevant early in it, so it could be arguably ignored for the earlier arcs, giving rise to the possible interpretation that the same character might be a significantly different person between two different arcs. This is most relevant to the third and fourth arcs.

(FWIW this is a thing basically unique to this series, as this series presents four alternate timelines for how the story evolves, and these timelines branch off at various points.)
  • I think Toji no Miko is committed to having every single plot twist be reminsicent of Symphogear.
  • edited 2018-02-10 04:02:07
    So...

an assessment of/remarks on Yosuga no Sora: In Solitude, Where We Are Least Alone. This is a strange and distinctive series and I'm not really sure what to make of it.

Warning: this story involves sexual content, some of which may be disturbing (specifically sexual assault and incest), plus at one point at least one disturbing non-sexual element (suicide). In these remarks, I will mention these elements, with regards to their role in the story. The story is a romantic drama, or more accurately, it is four different romantic dramas based on the same cast of characters, and these elements are not treated lightly -- in fact, one of the show's strengths is exhibiting the emotions the characters feel, particularly with regards to romance and sexuality. (Some people call this a "harem", but given how each romance is explored individually, in essentially parallel alternate universes, this descriptor doesn't really apply all that well.)

Also, these remarks contains spoilers, and as such will be kept behind a spoiler tag. Though I'm not sure I expect any of you who're likely to read this are gonna ever watch this. I don't think I can recommend this series to anyone, because it is sufficiently...let's just say weird (and not in the usual absurdist/surrealist way either, as all the events portrayed herein are taken seriously, aside from the omake). But its strongly emotional drama and its use of branching story paths are certainly very interesting elements.

Also, warning: long and wordy.

Perhaps the show can be said to be represented by its two theme songs, both of which have frequently-shifting tonalities, especially the opening theme. It starts with an intro in B minor, then has a verse in C# minor that temporarily goes to F minor before shifting into F# minor for the refrain, which spends a good chunk of time there before shifting to F minor near the end and then back to F# minor. Most of these modulations are very distant relations, perhaps alluding to the contrasting emotions at play in the story.
  • edited 2018-02-10 05:14:27
    I think it's funny how in Maerchen Maedchen, Hazuki borrowed her older sister an LN and she surmises that the whole plot would have been figured out in three pages if the characters just talked to each other honestly.

This show keeps being wonderfully self-referential.

Related, I guess "people with social lives" is a good way to put that in the scheme of fast-paced subtitles but I don't think it captured the riajuu wonderfulness.
    [02:31:38] the problem with Charlotte, for me:
    [02:31:52] i can't get over the notion that Nao Tomori herself ought to be named Charlotte

Anyhow, so I don't remember if I've mentioned this before, but my interpretation of Angel Beats is such that a lot of the events of the early episodes are actually relatively meaningless, but their meaninglessness is itself meaningful to the broader theme of the work.

This may seem odd but consider that it's because

Then I watched Charlotte. Charlotte has a somewhat similar cast, and a somewhat similar plot pacing. Angel Beats has, mainly in the earlier episodes, a plot pacing where seemingly disconnected things just sorta happen to the characters, at times, with events going by a little too fast to really appreciate an emotionally coherent response to things. Charlotte also has this problem, mainly in the later parts of the series.

Except Charlotte doesn't have the convenient excuses I mentioned for the bumpy plot pacing of the show, the way Angel Beats does.

This, in turn, makes me suspect that my interpretation of Angel Beats might not have been originally intended by the writers (presumably Jun Maeda). I don't know for sure, though, since I haven't read any commentary that he's written about the interpretation of either series.
  • i can't get over the notion that Nao Tomori herself ought to be named Charlotte

wait what
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    i can't get over the notion that Nao Tomori herself ought to be named Charlotte

wait what

Was basically a joke, but, Nao Tomori is the clearly very important deuteragonist girl, and "Charlotte" is a name that's basically entirely unrelated to the story except for being the name of one thing that is a barely-important spoiler.

Also I think she looks like a "Charlotte". Not sure why.
  • do you mean she looks like a particular type of cake
  • edited 2018-02-10 13:50:21
    ITT: Kino eats the best girls.

IRL: The Winter Olympics Reached Peak Ota.
  • I should have more than one relevant Girls' Last Tour screenshot but it seems I just have this:

CrmiDLe.jpg
    Feeding or cannibalism?
    Eve was my favorite Elsword character but unfortunately she has a rather lackluster presence in the Elsword ONA.

On the other hand, Elesis is really awesome.
    https://myanimelist.net/featured/580/Charlottes_Zhiend__Animes_Favorite_Post-Rock_Band
    Interesting speculation/analysis as to why Jun Maeda made ZHIEND specifically a post-rock band rather than any other kind of band, and how this is a thematic contrast to the J-pop idol production How-Low Hello in the same show (Charlotte).
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    There's going to be a new OneRoom anime. I hope there'll be a new RoomMate anime eventually too.
  • zRJDS49.jpg

this is some next level symphogearing
    no, dis Feynman.
    Notice

The following people must show up at Itsuki Laboratory located west of Agriculture Education faculty at 10AM today.

1st Year - Sawaki Tadayasu
    1st Year - Yuuki Kei
    2nd Year - Kawahama Takuma
    2nd Year - Misato Kaoru

You will be screwed if you don't show up.

Thank you
  • edited 2018-02-17 05:06:00
    The OP song subs for this sub of Moyashimon use the Law & Order font. i.e. Friz Quadrata.

yntkt