If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I was fermenting menma under the farming ground.

I didn't know you could ferment Menma.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I didn't think Maerchen Maedchen had bad animation like, at all, until episode 6 cstarted and nobody's mouth could figure out how to exist on the same plane as their mouth and eyes. It's also the episode that first shows the real OP, which immediately introduces us to about 20+ new characters because that's the kind of thing you really only want to find out midway through a show.

The episode itself was... like no seriously it was very, very not a thing anybody should subject on another human being. It wasn't painful or malicious in any way, it wasn't even amateurish I think, it was just... full of the least enjoyable elements of anything in a very banal way.

Also, a character not dying does not mean the character who tried to kill them should suddenly be absolved of all guilt.
  • edited 2018-02-17 22:17:54
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    reposted from MAL:
    What would an ecchi/harem anime have to do for you to like them?
    What is YOUR ideal ecchi harem?
    1. not a harem (or at least it settles into a reasonably stable 1:1 pairing at any given time even if it hints at more complex romance dynamics)
    and

EITHER it's a romance series and
    2. the guy and the girl gradually grow from romantic interest to romantic involvement
    3. they both contribute about equally to the relationship and are on about equal footing as far as whatever it is that they do, is -- e.g. they're both skilled fighters
    4. they actually do things together and are effective at them because they work together
    5. no gratuitous sexual fanservice jokes (e.g. the bath wall falling down accidentally, walking in on someone naked, falling face-first into someone's crotch, comparisons/envy of boob sizes, etc.)
    6. no gratuitous sexual fanservice camera shots (e.g. no unreasonable panty/ass/boob/etc. shots, no "hey look bouncing boobs"). This doesn't mean "absolutely nothing that's possibly titillating", but rather it means "don't let it look like you're obviously showing it because it's titillating".

OR it's a fanservice series and
    2. the characters are proportioned reasonably and have reasonable postures (no giant boobs, no awkward bending backwards to show off boobs and ass, no weirdly thin characters or weirdly thin waists, etc.)
    3. characters doing something cool that would reasonably put them in clothing that shows off the contours of their body, e.g. a variety of sports and physical activities (e.g. swimming, diving, triathlon, (bi)cycling, (motor)biking, track and field, skiing, etc.), contexts where skin-tight suits would make sense (e.g. piloting mecha, some spacesuits, etc.), or something else along these lines
    4. the show is about the characters doing that activity, rather than about how the characters look doing that activity. Of course they can be drawn well, that's the whole point of visual sex appeal. But don't make the show seem like it's saying "HEY LOOK AT HOW SEXY THESE CHARACTERS ARE". (This also means not having the lead character openly discuss sexiness all the time.) Let the characters' visual appeal shine on its own as they go about their lives and do their cool things and stuff.
    5. again, no gratuitous sexual fanservice jokes
    6. again, no gratuitous sexual fanservice camera shots

The last time I posted something about this, someone basically said "well, that's simply not ecchi anymore anyway", and then I was like "ok".

However, note that I never said "don't involve hints of sexual attraction at all", nor "don't have sex scenes". It's just that I don't want the show to be primarily about sexual attraction/appeal/activity, in terms of the way it portrays the characters.

TL;DR y'know that example of "hot shirtless guys doing lumberjack work"? That, except make it actually about the lumberjacking, and substitute other things for "guys" and "lumberjacking" as desired to suit my interests.
    To steal GMH's format;

A modern sci-fi, action, or general speculative fiction anime, set in any period of time, that;
    1. Doesn't feature historical figures
    2. Doesn't feature mythological figures
    3. Doesn't feature historical or mythological weapons*
    4. Doesn't feature powers that are directly "inspired" by (ie cribbed from) historical or mythological figures where they can't help but mentioning said things
    5. Doesn't feature historical or mythological [all of the above] super later on as endgame things

I feel like these sort of things were fun and like, fed my hipster needs for a bit at some point, but I'm starting to feel like your world feels less lived in if you're just reminding me of a bunch of other stuff every five seconds.

It's slightly even worse because I feel like a total know-nothing if I don't start looking up said inspirations. Usually, I do this only to find that the ones in said anime are also based on how I knew the tale to start with; as second-second hand interpretations.

I know it was based on a video game, but Tales of Zestiria was really successful with this. It was quite emersive because when I went into it I knew what I expected and learned were only in this specific setting so I wasn't accidentally cross referencing things in my mind. Kokkoku is also pretty good about this so far; it's internal logic is fun to observe and learn about.

Kid's anime are also, surprisingly, really really good at this.
    come to notice it... does miss kobayashi draw art style influence from 90s comedy rather directly? or is it just me having small reference pools
  • I feel like the general case is that something is more likely to be derivative than otherwise, even if it might be of something different than you suspect.
    Well I was thinking specifically about Kobayashi's "dead fish eyes", which seemed a bit uncommon in recent years. Or maybe I just haven't been watching enough.

Anyhow...

How many transfer students can you name? =P
  • I'm amazed that Toji no Miko this week went without anything obviously Symphogear.

But Magia Report has an oddly accurate representation of Symphogear AXZ's last episode:

sXT6Tcd.jpg
    the madoka magica franchise has become some sort of strange monster that is barely recognizable only through a few iconic visual elements
  • I can't tell if that's based on a copypasta.
    has become some sort of strange monster that is barely recognizable

Madoka canon is like a single thing aside from Magia Record and that PSP game that was made so uncanon nobody even remembers it. It consists of a series, a sequel movie, two manga that cover bits in-between and four manga that are standalone stories.

Fate/ canon is:

The prequel, /Zero, which was adapted into an ufotable anime.

The original game, which was adapted into:
    • Saber's route; the DEEN anime
    • Rin's route; the DEEN movie and ufotable anime
    • Sakura's route; the ufotable movie series that just started

The sequel Realta Nua, which IIRC has two routes and fandisc-ey alternate routes.

The alternate settings:
    • Apocrypha, an LN series that branches from before /Zero, and just got an anime
    • The EXTRA series, which consists of about three released games and one upcoming game. The first game has an adaptation airing right now that isn't actually an adaptation.
    • Prisma Illya, a manga series that has spawned four anime adaptations and a movie, with possibly another anime season coming soon
    • Grand Order, the mobile game and most successful Fate/ property to date. It's practically printing money. It has also had it's fair share of adaptations, but nothing serious.

This is just the stuff off the top of my head and doesn't include things like Carnival Phantasm, that cooking anime, Strange Fake, and allsorts.
  • edited 2018-02-24 14:06:40
    Realta Nua is the title to ports and updates of the original Fate/stay Night. The sequel is Fate/Hollow Ataraxia.

PMMM canon is basically just the anime and maaaybe Wraith Arc. Prior to Magia Record the extra material mostly inhabited bubbles separate from each other.
    Is the "how Mami and Kyouko met" manga no longer canon?
  • edited 2018-02-24 15:16:26
    I think that never really was canon since it spun off from drama CD 3 (apparently by the same writer), which itself seems mostly ignored by the movies aside from the name "Kazamino". The closest to any confirmation of canonicity for any of the manga I've heard of was statements from Shinbo regarding Wraith Arc, supposedly in a late issue of Kirara Magica.
  • edited 2018-02-25 06:17:19
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    In the latest episode of Kurumi-chan, the Prima Cyan (who is actually super-blue and not cyan themed at all) gets a cold and can't help Prima Orange defeat their latest round of foes (who, aside from Panpanman, seem more suited to kidnapping and murder than being magical girl foes). When pressed by a desperate Prima Orange, Devirun reveals she has a "special" Prima Cold, that means she's really really sick.

I found this ridiculously funny, even though it's a pretty dumb joke.

Meanwhile, Prima Pink forgot to charge her Prima Smartphone, again.
  • their latest round of foes (who, aside from Panpanman, seem more suited to kidnapping and murder than being magical girl foes).

This needs a picture:

I85jfhR.jpg

Also,

tNEakW9.jpg

Because people would know who to blame if she did that...?

I was really looking forward to the Caligula anime, but the overall feeling of the show I got from the PV seems very visually dark but not in an actual "dark and/or mature themes" way. I guess I have to go back to the drawing board on that.

I think the brightest offering next cour seems to be Last Period: Owarinaki Rasen no Monogatari. It's a fantasy anime based on a smartphone game, but it appears to rise above that description in at least a few ways.
    I just got a hint of a spoiler about Psycho-Pass that suggests I might not like it. Hmm...
    Somehow, Psycho-Pass looks like modern Otomate games.

I don't like them too much either.
  • edited 2018-02-26 18:22:23
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Wanna post some thoughts on MadoMagi again. Sorry about this...but I promise I'm not ragging on it again. Rather, I think I'm finally figuring out why I didn't like it, inspired by thinking about it in bed after listening to the "Why Madoka Was a Success (Madoka vs. Uta Kata)" video again, as well as a couple people's reviews of two similar shows, Uta~Kata and Umi Monogatari. While I dislike the setting design and the direction the story took, these things might by themselves have just made me feel meh about it or okay with it had it not really mismatched my tastes in other ways.

TL;DR - MadoMagi is meant to be a high-impact show, with fast pacing, striking visual imagery, and arguably more of a premise focus than a character focus. These elements weren't hugely my thing by themselves, so they help explain my opinion of the series.
  • edited 2018-02-26 18:49:37
    It's still got more character focus than YuYuYu since everyone attempts to do what they want and suffer the consequences because of that rather than everyone just end up doing the same things together and every possibility of separate consequences is pushed away.
    Recently started watching Gabriel DropOut.

For some reason I feel like I might like this more than Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.
    So apparently the canon order for Raildex is
    1. Railgun
    2. Railgun S
    3. Index
    4. Index 2
    ?
  • edited 2018-02-27 01:06:26
    I am quite sure that's not right.
    Well I asked on MAL and I got this instead:

glvTQdA.png
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Every seen an anime that made you think "Wow people actually thought this was a good idea"?
  • Not a specific anime, but like, every non-kiddie magical girl show in 2016, collectively.
  • edited 2018-02-27 04:00:40
    Also, one factor in getting 2017 Kino's Journey made was specifically to have Y.Aoi star in it, yet about a third of the episodes had little to no scenes of her.
    "Wow people actually thought this was a good idea"

As much as I love it, Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace was such a strange concept for what was essentially an adaptation of Japanese Sherlock Holmes (Edogawa Ranpo) that was developed from a single story which then incorporated other stories from his repertoire into the mix.

And turned one of the female villains into an ephebophile who couldn't stop relieving herself whenever in the presence of (or just at the thought of) the secondary main character.